Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
For some masochistic reason I recently started thinking about my antics in high school, which, while generally enjoyable, were on occasionally an 11 out of 10 on the scale of cringy-sperginess. I'm 23 now, and while I'm not exactly Humphrey Bogart I'd like to think that I've simmered down a tiny bit on the whole "being a obnoxious nerd without an iota of self-awareness" front.

So I wanted to share what, in my opinion, was the most preposterously nerdy moment I can recall in my life - and commiserate with my fellow goons.

I was 16, so the year was...2005? The Lord of the Rings trilogy was making big splashes and I was in a Tolkien frenzy. I read the books voraciously, talked about the universe with friends and even spent a few months playing LOTR-inspired roguelikes with the sort of determined tenacity that could have gotten me a Rhodes scholarship if I bothered to apply it to schoolwork.

I also tried to learn elfish.

Tolkien was a professor of languages and literature at Oxford and actually developed working grammars and vocabularies for many of the languages featured in LOTR. The most exhaustively documented was Quenya, tongue of the elves. I had managed to find a LOTR lingustic fansite and printed out a 50 page lesson plan for mastering the language & culture of a non-existent fantasy race.

I actually lugged this abomination around school, pulling it out on the school bus to pore over. One day, a pair of very pretty and fairly popular girls sitting in the chair next to me asked me what I was reading.

I preceded to spend the next 20 minutes lecturing these poor (and hot, did I say that already?) girls on intricate details of Elvish culture, language and orthography. I'm pretty sure on some level I was convinced that my fantasy knowledge was arousing the both of them.

In reality the girls were surprisingly nice, especially considering that they had every right to mock me mercilessly then and there (though I'm sure they were rolling their eyes mentally and likely made fun of me on their own later). Looking back at this episode now I cannot fathom being a party to behavior so unabashedly spergy (and socially clueless) - but I suppose that these are the risks involved in being nerdy and 16.

So, fellow goons, what are your embarrassing nerdy stories? Any cringe-worthy moments? Do you feel you've grown in any way since those moments? I'm looking forward to seeing what GBS has on offer.

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Maybe you were lying to yourself, but I'll be damned if that wasn't a good story.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Chicken McNobody posted:

I play a lot of Fallout. Until very recently playing as an "evil" character made me extremely uncomfortable. As in, I would feel like a bad person IRL if I <Lie>d to a character. In one F3 playthrough I blew up Megaton and had to quit and start a new game because I felt so awful.

I actually still have trouble playing "evil" characters in any RPG because of this reason. I like to comfort myself by pretending that this is due my deep sense of compassion for my fellow man, and not my taking games too seriously.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Elephantgun posted:

gently caress I forgot about this.

We got a math book that there were problems and we picked maybe 30 out of 200 pages to work from over the course of the year. I spent the first 4 weeks of school going through all 200 pages in my math book and solving every problem during homeroom/studyhall. When people asked why, I replied "for fun".

I was also really excited at the start of every school year because I would get a fresh new history book and I couldn't wait to get home and read it cover to cover.

:allears:

To be fair, despite the cost to your social life and teenage cool factor, this is probably the best nerdy tendency to have.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Pick posted:

From the ages of 14 to 20, I wrote a million(+) word fantasy novel. It drove a lot of my interest in artwork and writing during that time, even though no one ever read it or looked at the artwork I did for it. I realize why people weren't interested in hearing about it--hell, I wouldn't have been, and it was pretty stupid because drat, 14-year-olds are poo poo writers--but it basically drove me from ever pursuing a creative field. You can't expect other people to care about you or the things you do :toot:.

I still think about those characters quite a bit, though. :spergin:

I REALLY want to read this thing. A million word epic written over the course of 6 years of adolescence? That has to be interesting.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

rinski posted:

I got a bunch of coworkers back into Magic: the Gathering and each one said the same thing: "I used to play, but I quit in high school because it was too nerdy." It made me kind of sad, because they obviously love the game. We stay late a few nights a week and play. Some of them have even started going to small tournaments. I haven't stopped playing since junior high, but for a few years it did feel like my dirty little secret.

Fortunately for all of us, we became adults and realized there's nothing intrinsically bad about playing a game we think is fun. Nothing mentioned in this thread is intrinsically wrong, and a lot of the less healthy stuff seems to have resulted in a good learning experience. Honestly, a lot of the more :spergin: projects you guys brought up seem legit fascinating.

You can be a huge nerd and still be a perfectly functioning member of society. I still play a ton of competitive Magic, stream myself playing games, post on these very forums, and still maintain employment. In fact, later today my company is flying me all around Asia for a two week-long business trip. Well, technically the trip doesn't start for another week, but I booked an earlier flight so I could play in GP Taipei this weekend. With my wife. Who I met at a Magic tournament. Who plays Magic professionally.

Edit: To contribute embarrassing content, I used to draw shoe advertisements, made several versions of a bad Magic knockoff, and wrote a ton of bad, boring fantasy when I was a kid. At one point I had like 15 white notepads filled with what I can only describe as a slideshow of a made up video game. Featuring the Sun and Moon bosses from Kirby. My own bad fiction is probably what made me so interested in contributing to Horrors 2 and led me to start a project I barely ran with.

I completely agree with this, and wish I made this more clear in the OP...There's nothing wrong with being nerdy, when that nerdiness is properly proportioned with the rest of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

General Panic posted:

I understand Edmund Burke's Reflections on The Revolution in France is similar, but without elves or cannibals.

And knowing this is probably pretty nerdy in itself.

Philosophical conservatism in the form of a teen's magnum opus...now I have to read this.

• Locked thread