Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Read this thread start to finish and now I have to contribute my own.

Standard 'I played a video game lots', I've played Football Manager since 2001 and must have got through around 80 seasons in all and am currently 18 seasons into a game where I've taken Lewes FC into the Champions League. My best/worst moment would probably be buying a Barcelona shirt with my favourite player's name on the back from my last big game. No, not Messi or Xavi, I was in the late 2020s here, it was a player the game had made up. I even own a Lewes FC shirt and regularly wear it in bed while playing my current game.

I always have to have a drink if we win a trophy, my girlfriend thinks I just fancy a beer but nope, gotta celebrate that League Cup win in style.

I maintain a spreadsheet with many tabs including my squad, all time appearance and goal lists, squad number histories, youth prospects and scouting network.

That brings me neatly onto spreadsheets, which there must be a genetic factor for since my 56 year-old Dad keeps spreadsheets for whiskeys, wines and fantasy football.

I have spreadsheets for:

- Video games I own and haven't played, ones I'm midway though, ones which don't have an 'end', upcoming games and which three games I'm going to ask for each birthday and Christmas (Birthdays in the middle of June are great).

- Every game I've played a reasonable amount of organised by year of release and with a top 3 of each year.

- A 'what if' of soccer if there was an unofficial world championship that changed hands like in boxing, starting with Wanderers FC's FA Cup win in 1872. I'm up to 1890!

- How much time I spend playing games. Partly to get a true measure of how long a game is and partly to keep my gaming in check. I like to get more than an hour a day on average over a month or the gaming PC's going to waste but more than two hours a day is excessive and I feel the need to cool off.

- A timeline of my PC's parts starting with when I got it in 2007. The only original part is the boot HDD, which I've been expecting to wear out any day now for about 18 months.

- Can't believe I forgot about this one, I've been keeping track of my iPod and Last.fm play counts and keep them updated monthly, I've been doing this since November 2004.

- I have a good job where 90% of my output is spreadsheets and all my bosses think I’m basically a wizard. See, it wasn’t a (total) waste of time!

I only play PC games now and I take screenshots throughout of anything interesting, I last played Bioshock 2 and took around 2,500, which I went through and filtered down to 600-ish. I've done this since early 2011 and have over 32,000 screenshots in a random photo screensaver. I have played or am playing all the PS2 GTAs, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid and Deus Ex just to get them into the screensaver. It's a great nostalgia trip every time.

Oh, and like so many of you, I had the choice of spending time with a hot girl and playing GTA3. I chose the girl and it turns out she was just being friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

The spreadsheet/statto obsession continues as I've added another gaming one - recording how many times I die in each game and what killed me. I'm playing Tomb Raider Anniversary at the moment so it's 90% 'Falling'.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

foutre posted:

I definitely wouldn't have the tenacity to do something like that, but that actually sounds pretty cool. Do you have any examples of it (that you wouldn't mind sharing)?
That one time I asked someone about their spreadsheet of video game deaths also doubles as my nerdy story...

I only came up with the idea the other day after falling to my death for the twentieth time so nothing is written down yet.

I did start tracking how many times I'd resorted to Google to beat a game but by the time I do that I'm too annoyed to remember to write it down.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Instead of playing FIFA like a normal person, I've downloaded a bunch of custom teams and am doing a Champions League of the best teams ever on AI vs AI. This is the first time it's looked vaguely like actual football so it's quite exciting. I tried something similar on Pro Evo years ago but it got to about one goal every three games.

Currently going through a group of Netherlands '74, Ajax '95, Bayern Munich 2013 and Juventus '96. :getin:

• Locked thread