Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

My friends and I used to do Milkshake and Mario Baseball Fridays.

It's exactly what you think. We got milkshakes, and played Mario Baseball on the N64. There was much listening to the ska and much strobe light dancing. I was also the only girl for the most part.

We also had plans for a flash animation called "Beaver Kombat" for some reason. I even did some character designs and we wrote scripts and lots of things. I don't even remember why. There was a running joke that anything we didn't understand came from the "Birdo Zone" named after, of course, Birdo from the Super Mario franchise. You know, because Birdo is one of the weirdest loving characters in the games. (What is that thing on her face? A mouth? A vagina? It shoots eggs, dammit!)

Because most of us played an instrument of some sort, we started a ska band (did I mention we liked ska? We liked ska.) called "Fat Kid Mafia" We called it that because (surprise) we had like four or five fat kids in the band, even though the core members were surprisingly fit for nerds. It fell apart because the lead singer's girlfriend secretly hated me. She was all nice to my face, but it came back that she didn't like me because I was kind of a weird alternative kid while she was the more uptight nerdy perfect-grades type. Later, I realized that she was just the queen-bee type that can't stand to have other girls around.

Who knew there would be so much infighting from different types of nerds?

Oh, one more nerdy story. In Freshman year of highschool, I became friends with a group of girls who liked Harry Potter a wee bit too much. Our "leader" gifted us all with the names of characters from the books, loosely based on our personality types. She was "Lily Potter" (outgoing, but somewhat inflexible type), another friend was Moony (Strong, somewhat secretive, but really nice), and I was Sirius Black (dark sense of humor, sometimes cruel, but ultimately kindhearted). We didn't actually believe we were these characters, but we did call each other by the nicknames "Lily", "Moony", and "Black". Any time I started brooding or fell into a depression (which I did- and do- legitimately deal with) they would tell me "Stop being so serious, Sirius! As silly as it was, it did make me feel a little better. I guess more because someone actually cared enough to include me in a group more than the geeky connotations. :unsmith:

Thankfully enough, we only did this when the others were around, so it wasn't like I requested to be called "Sirius" in my classes or anything. Still, super nerdy, especially to be doing in high school

Sometimes at sleepovers we would make concoctions from "wizard cooking" websites, like "butter beer" or "Wizard Pudding". Some of that stuff was drat good, too!

FakeEdit: Big surprise, everyone involved in this confession was either involved in Band or the Drama Program. But hey, we won more awards in both those programs than all the sports teams combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Giggily posted:

gently caress this thread is bringing back terrible memories. We loving told our teachers we were the north korean midget vampire mafia and pretended that we were goddamn power rangers.

It's okay, buddy, there's no shame here. No shame.

e: I have several fedoras left over from high school. To my credit, I am a girl, and would often wear nice clothing with them (sport coats, ect.) because my mother and grandmother were both legal secretaries who knew better than to let me wear them with jeans and a dragonforce t-shirt.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Sex Robot posted:

• I play Warmachine

Hey there Warmachine buddy! :respek:

Hey, it's not 40K. :shrug:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Okay, who got me the milkshake and Mario Baseball avatar?

Because I love it! I don't even care if you're making fun of me for being such a huge nerd, it makes me smile every time I see it.

Hey, those were good times with good friends. :3:

Oh, yeah, and to the guy on like, page 2 or something that asked if I would post my super-rad high school self online- no. No,no,no, a million times no. I dodged that bullet while I was still in high school, and I'm not turning back now.

And, yes, I know now that Birdo is a guy, but at the time not too many people did.

For more content, I must also admit to drawing "furry" art as a kid, but it was wayyyy before I knew what furries were. I just kind of liked the idea of anthropomorphic animals. I think it's a thing that just happens if you watched cartoons in the 90s.
When I was like 9 or 10, I secretly thought that my pets might be animorphs caught in morph, so I was weird about changing clothes if they were in the room.

To dig more into the nerdiness that is 3rd wave ska, I loved Five Iron Frenzy something fierce. I know. Christian ska. I still maintain they're good musicians.
The first song our band learned to play was "Sellout" by ReelBigFish.

I still love the Protomen and the Megas. I don't care what the SA frontpage guys think, I like 'em. :colbert: (Protomen more than the Megas, though.)
I also have every Mega Man comic since it's inception, and collect NES games as a hobby. I have, however, played all the NES games I own, save for this one RPG I got for my boyfriend, and I continue to play them because they're fun.

I've called myself a "gamer" unironically more than once, both meanings of the word (tabletop games and those of the electronic variety). Oh the shame! :negative:

FakeEdit: Wait, there are people who liked math enough to make up problems to solve of their own volition?! Are you wizards?!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I assigned all my best friends robot master nicknames. All of them.

I still call my brother Guts on occasion.

I can say I didn't do the fan fiction thing, though. I wrote crappy original stories, but I can say they were original, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Solefald posted:

I saw a guy in a bar wearing a jacket that said "Voight-Kampff" so went up to him and asked him "am I a replicant or a human?" He had no idea what I was talking about so I stupidly proceeded to tell him about my favourite Philip K Dick novels.

Not too "spergy" but I seem to lack to ability to shut up about uninteresting things when talking to strangers.

Well, why would he be wearing that if he didn't like Blade Runner or the story it's based off of?

• Locked thread