Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT
Not only did I post on the TVTropes forum, I also wrote three pages of the wiki, and edited or contributed to lots of others.

I think I may need a pilgrimage to Lourdes to be forgiven for that. At least I never wrote any Troper Tales...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT
I have dreamed of posting on these forums. (As in, whilst asleep, not as in, "it has been my major goal in life to do this.")

Also, whilst I'm not sure whether this amounts to sperginess or some kind of Walter Mitty thing, for several years I used to deal with the boredom/stress of my Civil Service job by pretending that I was in fact a member of the Mafia.

I wasn't attending dull meetings about mind-numbing administrative details and legal issues, they were "sit-downs" about settling "family" disputes, I wasn't getting on a train to visit a government office in some crappy town in the Midlands, I was off to courier a few kilos of coke somewhere. My boss, who was the most senior guy in our office, was of course, the Don - really, you can fill in the blanks. I was in my early 30s at the time, so it wasn't just some childhood fantasy.

Writing it down, it sounds really bizarre, but it filled in the time and, I have to stress, I never actually believed it was true or mentioned it to anyone else. I suppose it was like a solo version of dressing up as the crew from Star Trek or some Orcs or something.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Pick posted:

The main theme was "social institutions may be bad and seem illogical but there's always a reason they are the way they are now."

I understand Edmund Burke's Reflections on The Revolution in France is similar, but without elves or cannibals.

And knowing this is probably pretty nerdy in itself.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

thehumandignity posted:

Uh, it's a hat that goes with a suit and has a brim. If you have to be out in the rain wearing a suit there's no reason not to wear one, unless you think it looks sillier than having a wet shirt. :shrug:

What, can't you afford an umbrella or something? I walk to work wearing a suit, and I've never felt the need to top it off with a hat.

Content: I seem to feel the need to tell everyone who mentions "50 Shades of Grey" that it's just Twilight fanfiction with the names changed, even though a lot of them barely know Twilight and have never heard of fanfiction. I have never actually watched or read Twilight either, which just makes it nerdier.

They can't be liking the bad thing.

• Locked thread