Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I was standing in the line for the midnight release of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and had been for hours. My friends and I at this point were big into Pokémon (I remember the é as Alt+0233 because I typed that character so many drat times for a high school paper article about the game around the same time). I saw a kid playing Pokémon in the crowd and, having brought the connector cables for the Gameboy, offered to battle him for fun. He accepts, somewhat cockily.

My team of Pokémon is three creatures. Mewtwo and Gyrados were pretty stock-standard in terms of endgame. My ringer, though, was Wigglytuff. I had loving trained this drat digital character from infancy, boosting its statistics as often as possible, especially its HP, attack, and speed. I had also trained it in the best basic attack, Megapunch.

The battle begins. My opponents first Pokémon appears. It's Mew. "That's odd... and cool, I guess," I think. Mew was not commonly available and as far as I knew was only available from a special Nintendo promotion. His Mew goes first and does some minor damage, but Wigglytuff has enough HP to take the hit. Wigglytuff, in return, sings its loving song and lulls the Mew to sleep.

And then punches it dead with Megapunch.

Another Mew appears. At this point the kid is obviously cheating. Wigglytuff goes first, putting the Mew to sleep, and then killing it with a single punch. His entire team of six are Mews and they all die in the same way.

The kid disconnects, thanks me for the game while looking disappointed, and walks away. I am victorious in the nerdiest way that I will ever be in my entire life. I went on to not enjoy a thoroughly awful movie, comforted that my entire night had not been a waste because of that battle. I was lying to myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

reflir posted:

Last week I started preparations to construct a taxonomy of imaginary beings. All of them.

I would be extraordinarily interested in reading this if you felt like sharing. I'm curious to know how in-depth you plan to take it, as in whether it would simply be a listing of potential dream constructs or whether you would associate them with mental states, disorders, and other factors.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

reflir posted:

it's going to be a while, and the project came into being to make procrastination easier, so I'm not making any promises about how far it'll go.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood and read the sentence as a taxonomy of dream-bound entities and concepts, which would be a much much smaller list. Yeah, all fantasy creatures is a pretty herculean task.

• Locked thread