Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I spent a couple of years of my childhood programming computer games with a friend and some art designer I only knew over the phone.
We even managed to finish an alpha version of our top down scroller space shooter (story heavy) and an angelfire website.
Then we discovered alcohol and parties (Germany, so that means 14-15).

Last year I discovered that it is still handed around on those freeware sites. Blew my mind.

Strange thing is, nothing has come of it. I have not pursued it in any way and have not profited from it by making it a career or whatever. I don't do anything with computers at all. I was decent at it for my age but I just... I dunno. I guess I miss it at times, because I miss creating things.

I am just a regular dude that for some unexplainable reason knows how to code. Because I don't explain it if it ever comes up. In fact there are times when I play dumb, because on the inside I am still that gigantic loving nerd who programs computta games.

Edit: It will probably come back when I am a burnt out mid 40 frustrated mid management shithead or whatever.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

elmer fud posted:

Can you give me a link to it?
Sadly, no

I found an early alpha version on two sites in German
http://www.spieleportal.de/gratisgames/gratisgame_anzeigen.php?id=1702
http://ww.gratis-spiele.de/details.php?id=36461
you can see the little picture and the "review", but everything seems to be offline. It was added to the site in 2002 but we made it earlier.

In fact in this version we still didn't have any checking for processor speed so it would run incredibly quick today.
I remember that we had a better version out with a level file system that would read some kind of, I guess you could call it proto XML file, it had background fleet parallax scrolling, different enemies and I think three bosses.
I put it on the site once but it was never picked up.

I hope to find the asset files again but I doubt that will happen. I would have to get the diskettes but I think I lost them.
Shits gone. Sad really.

Edit: The page was on freenet, not angelfire. It's down too

Edit2: I think what bums me out about this is that I wasn't even an ideas guy like most at that age.
We were actually creating pretty amazing stuff for our age and the time. But we didn't keep the ball rolling, just stopped creating things and now I can't even download it anymore, all that is left is a loving thumbnail.
poo poo.

Edit3: Don't drink and party kids! You heard it here!

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 14, 2012

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

You seriously did that??! What is wrong with you?? Weren't you thinking about how incredibly awkward you were making that poor guy? Gosh.

Though, dude, I bet that painter is writing about you on a forum for painters right now, saying to his online painter friends: "Man, so I was painting this one guy's house today..." You have become That One Guy.

Haha, nah it's okay. :shobon:

For some reason I really want to see the forum where house painters go to.

• Locked thread