Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I apologize if I am being incoherent right now and the grammar isn't correct. The details aren't too clear right now for me. However, I got into a fight with a group of people and got knocked out.(I now know what "lights being knocked out" means. I was in the hospital for 28 hours. I suffered a severe concussion from what the doctor told me, no xrays no nothing(I think my jaw is broke).

A random stranger saw me knocked out for about 5 minutes then decided to call 911. I woke up in an ambulance then went back to "sleep". I woke up in Grady Hospital in Atlanta. The nurses and doctors didn't do much for me, I don't think. I remember waking up again around 5 in the morning and asked for a cup of water because I was so dehyrdated and it took the nurse 15 minutes just to give me the cup of water. Anyway, me not really knowing anything on why I was there I refused to sign any type of paperwork they offered me.

Will the hospital charge me still? Again, sorry if i'm not making any sense in this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

If they don't know how to contact you, then no, I don't believe they can charge you.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WickedIcon posted:

If they don't know how to contact you, then no, I don't believe they can charge you.

They must have my information. The wristband from the hospital is still on my wrist. My name, date of birth, the time I arrived at the hospital.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007

King Kong of Megadongs

Gobblin' them mega schlongs

Makin' sure they mega long

Stroke 'em if they mega strong

Bstyles posted:

I apologize if I am being incoherent right now and the grammar isn't correct. The details aren't too clear right now for me. However, I got into a fight with a group of people and got knocked out.(I now know what "lights being knocked out" means. I was in the hospital for 28 hours. I suffered a severe concussion from what the doctor told me, no xrays no nothing.

A random stranger saw me knocked out for about 5 minutes then decided to call 911. I woke up in an ambulance then went back to "sleep". I woke up in Grady hospital in Atlanta. The nurses and doctors didn't do much for me, I don't think. I remember waking up again around 5 in the morning and asked for a cup of water because I was so dehyrdated and it took the nurse 15 minutes just to give me the cup of water. Anyway, me not really knowing anything on why I was there I refused to sign any type of paperwork they offered me.

Will the hospital charge me still? Again, sorry if i'm not making any sense in this post.

Yes, well done, you have uncovered the secret to avoiding hospital bills.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The doctors and nurses didn't care me for the least there. That's why I was so upset when I "woke up". They wouldn't give me any information, what happened to me, wouldn't give me something to drink when I wanted it. No xrays done on me. I got hit in the jaw, knocked out, head hit the concrete from what I heard.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I don't mind paying if I was took care of. But, they didn't give a gently caress about me there.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

The didn't let you die, and you used up a bed they could have been charging to someone else and you are in America, I guess?

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kru posted:

The didn't let you die, and you used up a bed they could have been charging to someone else and you are in America, I guess?

Yes. I live in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I was fine, just knocked unconscious and a random stranger called 9/11 while I was knocked out for a few minutes. I did not consent to anything.

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

Bstyles posted:

Yes. I live in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I was fine, just knocked unconscious and a random stranger called 9/11 while I was knocked out for a few minutes. I did not consent to anything.

I'm pretty sure in exigent circumstances they don't need your consent, but might be worth asking in The Goon Doctor.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

b c n u posted:

I'm pretty sure in exigent circumstances they don't need your consent, but might be worth asking in The Goon Doctor.

ALright. I will copy/paste what I first posted. I am still confused on what's going on.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Hi, I'm an EMT. If you are unresponsive it is called implied consent. Meaning, if you were able to consent we assume you would. Sorry, you can and will be billed.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Light Eternal posted:

Hi, I'm an EMT. If you are unresponsive it is called implied consent. Meaning, if you were able to consent we assume you would. Sorry, you can and will be billed.

Without signing anything when they didn't give a poo poo about me?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

You're going to get billed, and I hope they charge you extra for being an enormous rear end in a top hat.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007

King Kong of Megadongs

Bstyles posted:

Without signing anything when they didn't give a poo poo about me?

Refuse to pay the bill until they send you a loving drink, bro! Fight the power! USA! USA! USA!

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Koivunen posted:

You're going to get billed, and I hope they charge you extra for being an enormous rear end in a top hat.

Not too sure what really happened but apparently I had to try my best to defend myself.

TIGER HOODZ
Aug 3, 2009

Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks

What did you do to get beat up?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Bstyles posted:

Not too sure what really happened but apparently I had to try my best to defend myself.

What I meant was, you have zero respect for hospital staff. The ER is not a five star hotel, they don't wait on you hand and foot. You were probably a pain in the rear end to deal with and I feel sorry for your nurses who literally did nothing else than help you. I hope they add a large jerk tax on your bill.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TIGER HOODZ posted:

What did you do to get beat up?

I had to defend myself against three men the police said. I'm not going into details about it.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Koivunen posted:

What I meant was, you have zero respect for hospital staff. The ER is not a five star hotel, they don't wait on you hand and foot. You were probably a pain in the rear end to deal with and I feel sorry for your nurses who literally did nothing else than help you. I hope they add a large jerk tax on your bill.

What's your problem, man? You don't know what happened man so stop being a dick. I asked a simple question because I couldn't find an answer on Google. I was very respectful and polite to all the staff. Regardless, even if I was some kind of complete rear end in a top hat(which I would never be to people who are taking care of me) in the emergency room they still need to their job respectively.

Chopsticks
Jan 14, 2009

Koivunen posted:

Uh dude, what're you talking about? He got no x-rays done and wasn't given any information about what was going on. Is this what constitutes "help" in your mind?

He asked for a cup of water, not a foot massage. Considering he woke up in a hospital w/ a potentially broken jaw I'd say that's a pretty reasonable request.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I had a severe concussion. I did NOT know what happened at the time. I just couldn't sign any kind of paperwork when I was in that condition.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grady_Memorial_Hospital

Reading up about Grady, it's the 5th largest public hospital in the USA. Me with a severe concussion isn't that important compared to gun shot victims and stuff like that, fair enough. However, if I was took off into the ambulance when I was knocked out unconscious and without my concent, then taken to the hospital I believe they should have gave me a lot more treatment such as xrays if I do have to pay the bill.

TIGER HOODZ
Aug 3, 2009

Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks

Do you think Koivunen is one of the guys who punched you?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

You're complaining about having to wait 15 minutes for a cup of water. That is not bad care. Bad care is being left alone for three hours while you bleed out on the floor.

Then again, you would have been totally fine if you were left unconscious out on the street for who knows how long, right?

Chopsticks posted:

Uh dude, what're you talking about? He got no x-rays done and wasn't given any information about what was going on. Is this what constitutes "help" in your mind?

If the police were involved, it's not up to the hospital staff to tell someone what happened. Legal stuff gets messy. You don't need X-Rays or labs or whatever to receive help. The fact that he was given emergent care, ensured that he was medically stable, and was in a safe place while he was unconscious is definitely what I would call "help."

TIGER HOODZ posted:

Do you think Koivunen is one of the guys who punched you?

I am a female.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Koivunen posted:

You're complaining about having to wait 15 minutes for a cup of water. That is not bad care. Bad care is being left alone for three hours while you bleed out on the floor.

Then again, you would have been totally fine if you were left unconscious out on the street for who knows how long, right?

You're such a loving rear end in a top hat man.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007

King Kong of Megadongs

Do you think you'd be happier with a bigger bill because they x-rayed some semi-conscious rear end in a top hat while he shrieked for water like Honey Boo Boo?

Spoiler: no

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Bstyles posted:

You're such a loving rear end in a top hat man.

Read my edit.

Trouble Man posted:

Do you think you'd be happier with a bigger bill because they x-rayed some semi-conscious rear end in a top hat while he shrieked for water like Honey Boo Boo?

Spoiler: no

Also this.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Koivunen posted:

If the police were involved, it's not up to the hospital staff to tell someone what happened.

My friend talked to the officer gave him their license plate of the perpetrators and basically he told him he has better stuff to do. Again, I haven't seen the police report myself until I go to the station. This is downtown Atlanta, bigger things to worry about I guess? Listen, I just asked a question and that was it. I'm not trying to argue about this.

Chopsticks
Jan 14, 2009

I'm really glad I don't live in America. When it comes to healthcare you people are loving sociopaths.

You are attacking his character and making huge assumptions without knowing any real facts about the situation. It's unnecessary to start calling him an rear end in a top hat because he asked for some water.

EvanSchenck
Sep 8, 2010

Bstyles posted:

What's your problem, man? You don't know what happened man so stop being a dick. I asked a simple question because I couldn't find an answer on Google. I was very respectful and polite to all the staff. Regardless, even if I was some kind of complete rear end in a top hat(which I would never be to people who are taking care of me) in the emergency room they still need to their job respectively.

You were unconscious in the hospital due to a severe concussion for an extended period of time, during which time you would have received medical care or at least tied up a bed and the attention of medical professionals monitoring your condition to see that it didn't worsen. Your post is unclear, but it sounds like you were knocked out for several minutes, awakened in the ambulance, then lost consciousness again for something like an entire day before waking up in the hospital. Being unconscious for hours and hours after being knocked out and hitting your head on concrete is very bad, as in potentially fatal. This is probably why people are hostile towards you when you express dissatisfaction with the hospital staff.

You will be liable for the cost of your treatment. If the police are able to locate and charge the people who assaulted you, the court can force them to make restitution to you for your medical bills. You could also sue in civil court for the same purpose. Of course, it is distinctly possible that they'll get away with it, or that they don't have any money to pay your bill. Even if everything goes right, they're found, tried, and convicted, and they have the money, it might take months for the criminal justice process to work itself out.

As a first step you could try to get in contact with a victims' advocate group. For example, http://www.atlantava.org/. An organization like this can help apprise you of your legal and financial options with regard to the assault, your hospital bill, and so forth. If you're truly indigent, they might be able to help you get victim's compensation from the state to defray your costs. I don't know what things are like in Georgia. At the very least, they will be more sympathetic and knowledgeable than goons.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Hey, smart guy. Go to the hospital and pay your bill. If you can't then ask to talk with the billing department. Last May I had a very similar situation to yours and got hit with $9,000+ in bills. A nice woman in the billing department explained that if I could give them my tax return proving I make less than $24,000 a year then they'd wipe the bill clean. Stop being a terrible douche about the entire situation and just deal with it like an adult (or like a poor adult, in my case).

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007

King Kong of Megadongs

Chopsticks posted:

I'm really glad I don't live in America. When it comes to healthcare you people are loving sociopaths.

You are attacking his character and making huge assumptions without knowing any real facts about the situation. It's unnecessary to start calling him an rear end in a top hat because he asked for some water.

He's an rear end in a top hat because he equates "get x-ray" with good care and assumes that the hospital staff "didn't give a poo poo about him" because they failed to perform a thousand-dollar procedure on him without his consent.

He's a moron and he would be a moron if he came to my home country of New Zealand and acted like a moron at a public hospital.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Hey, smart guy. Go to the hospital and pay your bill. If you can't then ask to talk with the billing department. Last May I had a very similar situation to yours and got hit with $9,000+ in bills. A nice woman in the billing department explained that if I could give them my tax return proving I make less than $24,000 a year then they'd wipe the bill clean. Stop being a terrible douche about the entire situation and just deal with it like an adult (or like a poor adult, in my case).

I WILL pay the bill regardless concussed or not.

EDIT: I'm still confused on what's going on.

Bstyles
Jan 29, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Hey, maybe you could get something like a medic alert bracelet that lets potential rescuers know that they should just leave your rear end unconcious in the middle of the street next time this happens.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'm being born!

It's easy to tell why you got into a fight, it seems.

What I want to know is how do you even know what kind of care they provided if you were unconscious the entire time? You said you didn't even receive a bill yet. They probably didn't pay too much attention because you weren't actively dying and you're probably like the 500th drunk guy who got knocked out that night that they have to deal with.

Yes, you have to pay the bill. You received services, now you must pay.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Power Sugar Curls

I bet you got beat up because of that watch you got recently. Should have gone with a less flashy one.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Bstyles posted:

EDIT: I'm still confused on what's going on.

A possible symptom of the fact you got knocked the hell out and had people watch to make sure you didn't die?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008
I like bread

Holy poo poo, some of you USA people are loving amazing. It's like you think medical assistance isn't a basic human right.
And your public hospitals actually charge people. I know your healthcare is hosed but I can't even begin to wrap my head about the ludicrous costs involved.

The really terrible thing is that this horrible kind of costly healthcare generates and cultivates attitudes like the OP's : you're goddamn unconscious and you're worrying about not getting a bill instead of getting better. Then people make stupid decisions, like avoiding medical care when they need it. This is terrible. A person coughing blood might avoid the hospital because they know they'll be charged a fortune. Then they find out they have cancer and if they had gone to get themselves checked early in their affliction, they would have been saved. Instead, they die.

And you people are actually talking about a motherfucking X-ray, of all things, like a luxury procedure!!! An x-ray is supposed to be a basic step when you get hit with something and there's a probability, however slight, that you might have gotten a broken bone! They SHOULD have given him one, it's common sense! What world do you people live in?

Goddamn, get free public hospitals already, this is ridiculous.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Why are most people being a dick to him?

He's in pain, concussed, confused, scared, angry and now will likely have a hefty hospital bill. I'd be pissed off at every stranger around me too... well I can't back that up, i'm Canadian. I would probably be apologizing to the nursing staff for their inconvenience.

Regardless, put yourself in his shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

Goddamn, get free public hospitals already, this is ridiculous.

I'm just sitting here looking bewildered at all the people eagerly berating the OP for trying to convince himself that he shouldn't have to loose weeks/months of savings because someone knocked him out in the street.

«3 »