Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«187 »
Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Official Alpha release video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83NkPguw9Jg Alpha is out now! Pick it up for 32.99 USD here (This includes Alpha and Beta access as well as the full game)

"Do you think we'll get arrested too?"

What is Arma?
Arma 3 will be the latest instalment in the Arma series by Bohemia Interactive Studio. It is a comprehensive military simulator that aims to create an authentic recreation of modern warfare that is accessible to the public. The series is built around Bohemia's Real Virtuality engine, which besides being used for the Arma line of games, is also used in their commercial military training simulator, Virtual Battlespace 2.

Arma 3's predecessor, Arma 2 (And it's expansion, Operation Arrowhead), was mildly successful at launch, and impressed reviewers with it's scope and it's sandbox nature, but it was criticised for it's lack of quality singleplayer content, steep learning curve, and for being a little rough around the edges. It's extensibility and mod tools, however, allowed players to create ambitious mods that pushed the engine to it's limit (such as Advanced Combat Environment, an extremely realistic overhaul mod. Play with goons playing ACE here) , added dozens of new units and custom maps, and allowed Dayzmod to come to be (PGS thread). I won't say much about Dayz, other then that it put Arma 2 on top of Steam's bestsellers, which presumably gave Bohemia a helpful boost of capital for the development of Arma 3, and that Dayz will not be released for Arma 3, but instead will instead be made into it's own standalone game.

What's going to be new?

• PhysX will be used for vehicles, units, and objects in the environment. This is a pretty big feature, as hurting yourself on terrain features like boulders happens so often it got it's own term, 'being Arma'd' , and hopefully realistic physics simulations will alleviate or solve this issue. (To answer your question, if you have an AMD video card, it'll just offload the PhysX processing to your processor.)
  • Realistic water simulation, new lighting technology, and vastly improved animations should make the game look and feel a lot better, especially at night, an area where Arma 2's lighting system is quite lacking.
  • Lots of customization options. You will be able to change the attachments on your weapon, change aspects of your uniform, and even take the entire uniform from a dead or unconscious units.
  • An improved stamina system, where the weight of what you are carrying affects how fast your stamina decreases and recovers whilst doing actions such as moving or changing stance.
  • Underwater combat with Scuba Steve's
  • Improved interface and several other incremental improvements from Arma 2
  • Vastly Improved mouse control
  • A new 'Stance' system where each primary stance (Standing, Crouching, Prone) will have 3 different 'modes'. For example, when lying prone you can switch into an Urban Prone

On the subject of release dates (Most of this section is thanks to Ham)

ArmA 3 Alpha will be released on the 5th of March! It'll be a paid public alpha, starting price is 25 (~32.99 US/CA dollars) euros for the alpha, beta and the full game, which is releasing Q3 2013 exclusively on Steam. The Alpha is also going to be on Steam

To buy: http://www.arma3.com/buy

Release Plan: (Prices will increase per release (alpha, beta, gold), so a person buying ArmA3 at launch will pay the whole 45 euros instead of 25)

Arma 3 Alpha Lite

Refer to the previous infographic on information about the limitations of the Lite alpha. If you want an Alpha Lite key, check to see if any are available here(please mark the spreadsheet if you take one), and failing that, post in the thread asking for one. There are tons of people who have them available, you need only ask.

Setting

Arma 3 will be set on Limnos Altis (newly changed name, presumably due to the recent problems with Greece) island in the mid 2030's, a real island measuring approximately 300 km2 in the Mediterranean, currently owned by Greece. It was made from real topographical data, and the entire island was carefully modelled, with modifications for playability. Sadly, two BI employees got arrested whilst taking pictures on the island for supposedly 'spying' http://forums.bistudio.com/showthre...emnos&p=2221846

The second map that is going to be in the game is called Stratis island, and similarly to Arma 2's 'Utes', it will be a smaller map to supplement the main island. Stratis will be the island that will be shipping with the alpha.

For comparison, here's Stratis compared to Utes

And for further comparison, here's Altis versus Arma 2's Chernarus

(These two images taken from This thread, it may not be perfectly to scale)

The Story

The basic rundown of the story is that, in the future, Iran becomes somewhat like the USSR of the mid to late 20th century, and is slowly expanding it's influence west, holding Turkey and several Hellenic islands. Tensions between NATO and the Iranians is mounting, and the spark that could start a war is about to be stuck on Limnos, or something to that effect. If this sort of thing interests you, here's the official background page on the official website http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/background/

The Campaign
The campaign will be an open world style romp through Limnos, where you do what you can as a special forces operator stranded on the island. There will be main objectives, but several different ways of approaching the problems, and side-quests/secondary objectives that could play a role in future parts of the campaign. Hopefully the dialogue won't be as painful as it was in Arma 2's campaign. If you're okay with reading an awfully google translated interview with one of Arma 3's developers regarding the campaign, here's a link. Turns out there's a nicely translated english version on that page already, so no need for translations. http://www.everyeye.it/pc/articoli/..._14306?pagina=2

Media

Current Alpha Content

Videos from Dslyecxi

Videos from the Media (RPS, PCG, etc.)

What the game looks like at different settings (AKA so how pretty IS this game at realistic settings?)

From poster Steeltalon
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...3#post413145867

Slightly Outdated E3 content

E3 'Sneak Preview' trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tOSjYgGvHw

E3 Showcases
Gamespot editor discussing his impressions of the E3 demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pahAx1BYMr0

Here, have some screenshots:

Official Social Media

Arma 3 on Facebook
Arma 3 on Twitter
Arma 3 on Youtube

Mods

It's only been two weeks and there's already a bevy of useful mods out. Here's a list of good mods and a short guide on how to install them.

• Community Base Addons - This is the mod that most other mods rely on. It's basically a script extension library with all sorts of neat stuff. If you plan to use cool mods in Arma games, this will be a staple in your modline.
  • Shacktac HUD - A mod that adds a little 'radar'-esque HUD on the bottom of your screen that shows the positions of the people in your group within 45m. Very handy, highly recommended http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCw_tu8U-4
  • Compass Fix - This mod makes the compass and watch actually readable by making them much bigger. ACE mod from Arma 2 did this as well. Highly recommended
  • NoBlur - This mod removes the motion blur effect from the post processing graphics setting, making it so you can have your ambient occlusion and bloom cake and eat it too
  • Tao's Folding Map - This mod adds a map that takes up about a quarter of your screen when you press 'Shift+M'. Highly Recommended.
  • Stance Indicators - There is two different stance indicators out there, HMM stance indicator and FA Stance. Personally I'd recommend the HMM stance indicator, I find it doesn't clutter up the HUD as much.
  • FA_gps - This mod moves the GPS display from being right in the middle of your screen to being underneath the ammo count section of your HUD. A nice usability change.
  • Xbox Controller No Rumble mod - Simple mod that removes the rumble from the Xbox remote(some like it to fly) so that it's not aggravating to use.

Missions

• Wasteland - Probably the most popular multiplayer mission for Arma right now, it's a PvP focused game mode where you spawn with only a pistol, and choose one of three teams. Blufor players work together, and likewise Opfor players work together to build bases, complete objectives to get new vehicles or special weapons, etc., and the goal of the game is for one of the two teams to take out the other's base, however it's pretty open ended. The third team, Independent, are lone wolves who are free to attack anyone, including other independents, and their main goal is to kill whoever. Independents can also group up with each other through the 'group management' window. This is the preferred faction/playstyle of goons.
  • Blitzkrieg(AKA Attack and Secure[AAS]) - A set of PvP missions where one team has to attack and the other defends. The game revolves around capturing objective points, which are circular areas that you capture by having more guys from your team in the circle then the other team. It has a really slick respawn and class system, and overall is one of the best simple objective based PvP missions I've seen in Arma. Highly recommended.
  • Whole Lotta Stratis - I haven't personally played this mission yet but basically the premise is you get thrown onto Stratis, which is in the midst of a dynamic, randomly generated war between Blufor and Opfor. Apparently is a lot of fun, but due to the amount of AI is reportedly a bit of a resource hog. SP and Coop versions available.

Sorry for the short list, will add more as other actually good missions come out/come to my attention.

How to install mods and missions

Installing mods is pretty simple. The basic gist of it is that you have to have the modfolder in the root directory of your Arma 3 install(should be something like 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3'), with the '@' character as the first character of the modfolder's name, for example '@CBA_A3'. Once you have the folder in there, you go into your Steam library and find the Arma 3 link and right click it, selecting 'Properties'. A new window should come up, and on the first tab, select the 'Set Launch Options' button. Another pop up will appear, with a blank textbox. In this textbox, you're going to add '-mod=' followed by the name of the folder of the mod you'd like to load in. So, following the earlier example, you'd add in '-mod=@CBA_A3;' to load CBA. If you're loading more then one mod, you add the '-mod=', followed by the name of the mod you'd like to load first, then add a ';', then type in the name of the folder of the next mod. So, my modline looks like this: ' -mod=@CBA_A3;@compassfix;@FA_gpstr_watermark;@tao_foldmap_a3;@sthud;@FA_stance;'. Most mods come pre-packaged properly, so all you have to do when you download the archive is drag the folder with '@' in it to your Arma directory and call it through steam, however, some addon makers will be lazy and only package the .pbo file(the actual mod itself). If this is the case, in your Arma directory create a new folder. For the name of the folder, call it '@______', filling in the underscores with a name that is relevant to the mod so it's easy to remember. Open this folder, and create another folder inside of it called 'addons'. Now, all you have to do is drop the .pbo file into the addons folder, and add the modfolder into your Arma's launch parameters and you're good to go. DO NOT DRAG THE .pbo DIRECTLY INTO THE 'ADDONS' FOLDER IN YOUR ARMA 3 DIRECTORY . This will only cause problems down the road and it's not a path you want to take.

Missions are super easy, all you have to do is take the .pbo file that you downloaded for the mission, and put it into the 'mpmissions' folder in your Arma 3 directory (even for SP missions at this time). To play/host them, open the server browser in game, and click the 'New' button at the bottom. If hosting a MP match, make sure to change the type to 'Internet' instead of 'LAN', for obvious reasons.

Playing with goons

IRC

#Armagoons on synirc

Camping the Stairs Mumble

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3521554

Linked thread in PGS has all the details

WoL(MWO) Goon Mumble

gaming-mumble.goonfleet.com
port: 64738
password: mellon

Steam

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/a3goons This is a public group, figure out how to get in yourself

If you're about to play with goons, DON'T USE THE DEVELOPMENT BUILD[/b], it is not compatible with the stable version

*If you have any suggestions or material to add to the OP, feel free to post it and I'll do my best to keep the OP updated*
*Thanks to Chortles and Ham for extra content*
*Since the game has started to pick up steam, the OP will be updated regularly to reflect first impressions and such from the Alpha*

Mederlock fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2014 around 04:37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Have Bohemia said anything about whether or not the SP campaign will be more fleshed out this time?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Have Bohemia said anything about whether or not the SP campaign will be more fleshed out this time?

Oh, yes, I forgot to add that. There's supposedly going to be a more dynamic and interesting SP campaign. Will add info regarding that to the OP

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Has there been any info released recently? I haven't been able to find anything on their forums other than a potential alpha around the end of the year.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

8lbsofanalsex posted:

Has there been any info released recently? I haven't been able to find anything on their forums other than a potential alpha around the end of the year.

I remember reading that the Aplha was planned for around September but then DayZ craze happened so maybe it got pushed back.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Any word on if you'll be forced into flying missions as a part of the SP campaign? I hate that poo poo

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Any word on if you'll be forced into flying missions as a part of the SP campaign? I hate that poo poo

http://www.arma3.com/arma-3-overview/personnel/

On the personnel page it lists a US helo pilot so I'm assuming they will have flying missions. Even worse, he is listed as a transport pilot. So you'll probably have to do some missions just flying stuff around until out of necessity of course he will start flying comanches, gunships, A-10s, F-35s, and the space shuttle.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

8lbsofanalsex posted:

Sadly, no. I've been keeping an eye on Arma 3 dot com and haven't seen an update for a couple months, but from what I've heard from people who are "In the know", the alpha build is at a playable state, and my guess is it'll be out within a month or so, and the full game within 1-3 months. It's hard to tell with Bohemia being so quiet about it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

I know this isn't about the game (which looks awesome), but has there been any news of the two devs detained in Greece? Apart from what little there is posted on the BI website I can't really find anything.

As for the game, I hope that the SP campaign actually does a decent job of easing you into positions of command. The games so far have had a bad habit of putting you in the role of a squaddie for a couple of missions and then suddenly dumping the commmand of an entire armoured column on you. Give me a fireteam or something so I can actually get used to the command interface, drat it!

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Buck Turgidson posted:

I know this isn't about the game (which looks awesome), but has there been any news of the two devs detained in Greece? Apart from what little there is posted on the BI website I can't really find anything.

There was some news today actually http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...vs-refused-bail

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

I'm so majorly stoked for this, but I dread the kind of PC I'll need to run it for large-scale multiplayer.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

KennyLoggins posted:

I remember reading that the Aplha was planned for around September but then DayZ craze happened so maybe it got pushed back.

It was pushed back, yes, but not because of Dayz. Dayz actually hit it's peak around the April-July timeframe, and has had little to no bearing on the actual development of Arma 3, afaik. The detainment of the 2 Arma devs and just development schedule issues is far more likely to be the causes that pushed the dates back.

Edit: ^^^ I'm pretty stoked too, and as a member of Shacktac, large multiplayer experiences is all I really do, and we're all hoping Arma 3 doesn't make our computers beg for mercy on big co-ops like it does for a lot of us in Arma 2.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at Nov 17, 2012 around 07:03

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

^^^ Dude if this game doesn't ride my pc into the dirt I'll be amazed. Disappointed even.

drat, that sucks. I hope the trial goes their way, twenty years in a Greek slammer is no holiday.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at Nov 17, 2012 around 07:12

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Edit: ^^^ I'm pretty stoked too, and as a member of Shacktac, large multiplayer experiences is all I really do, and we're all hoping Arma 3 doesn't make our computers beg for mercy on big co-ops like it does for a lot of us in Arma 2.

I've been thinking of applying for ShackTac or playing w/ UO but I know 90% of the mission will take me to 10fps and poo poo.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Have my favorite ARMA 3 moment yet

Switch this to 1080p for the closest I've seen yet to the so-far default ARMA 3 keyboard layout

Here and here you've got a good animation showoff; for the second one, at 15:03 he shows off the "campaign hub" Camp Maxwell, at 16 minutes he shows off infantry combat, at about 19:50 there's a bit of "sidestep" instead of leaning, and at 21 minutes he shows off the hint system!

If you take endorsements, the best sign that the animations are better is a BI forums complaining that they were "too smooth, too fast" and another raging at the idea that a guerrilla (I guess he was thinking "guy in a dishdasha with Kalashnikov") could go into "Last Stand"...

KennyLoggins posted:

The original plan was a post-E3 release, but then they decided to go from PhysX 2 to PhysX 3 so it became "some time after Gamescom" (mid-to-late August)... then either something's going on under the hood, priorities got shifted to the DayZ standalone (where the "need" to get it out the door before the end of the year seems to be forced by The War Z, or so Rocket would have people believe) and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the jailing of the ARMA 3 creative director and map designer has to do with why there's no community alpha talk since Gamescom.

As for the campaign... apparently the "taking uniforms off of enemies" is SP-only, since the devs supposedly ran into issues when trying to implement it for co-op/versus.

The heresy of game balance? Sounds like it... later, some campaign talk from Karel "Gaia" Moricky, i.e. scavenging weapons and sometimes being separated from 7th Infantry Division, and at about 9:30 of this he compares it to Operation Flashpoint: Resistance; the "story" of 7ID is told in part through the "ORBAT", shown off at this point and here. (More infantry small arms action here, then at about 6:30 sniping, and at 11:55 doffing gear in realtime, and watch him take a KRISS Vector but not the ammo.)

A bunch of my notes on the state of ARMA 3 as of Gamescom are cribbed from BI forums users InstaGoat:

InstaGoat posted:

When I talked to him he said that in terms of mission scope and campaign design, they want to do something that will be similar to OFP:R and OFP:CWC, in terms of story twists and such. I think it´s likely we´ll see a progression from reconaissance, to invasion, to some sort of SNAFU and people being scattered into the woods, guerillia fighting, and counter invasion towards the climax of the campaign.

I was also told that they were more interested in gameplay driven missions, rather than story driven missions, so everything they´ve set up basically is intentionally geared towards allowing the mission designers to work free of constraints. In a sense, they´re going pretty much tactilol á la Call of Duty, except they´re actually trying to get people to feel how warfare in such a setting would actually feel. That kind of "justifies" choices like giving the Iranians a cool operator style rifle with the tavor, or the use of the merkava as MBT.

OFP:R had a system where you had to carry over weapons, ammunition, vehicles and men from one mission to the next. I would expect something similar to occur again in Arma 3.

Chortles posted:

I'm not sure how exactly this would work considering what was said that sometimes the player will be cut off from 7th Infantry Division, but I've seen it at moments in COD4/MW2 -- depending on the mission, if you were playing the Campaign sequentially (i.e. one mission into the next) you'd carry over the same weapons, since that mission would be an immediate continuation of the scenario that you had just concluded (i.e. break into a base, next mission starts you inside the base), but you'd have a default weapons set if you instead selected the mission manually from the Mission Select menu screen instead of seguing into that mission; I wonder if ARMA 3 will do the same?

InstaGoat posted:

I imagine it´s something like that, but not just carrying over the weapon, but carrying over -everything-. Ammo, individual magazine roundcounts, vest, clothes, helmet, eyepro, attachments, as well as teammates and all the gear on them. I doubt you´ll be completely alone at any point, unless there´s some sort of "after montignac" style mission in there.

Arma 3 has a rather complicated gear system, much more thorough and realistic than any other game I´ve seen so far. Most games reduce themselves to gun mods, or at best different suits plus kit like NV goggles. At GC I´ve seen the following specifically: three slots for gear on your weapon, two slots on the secondary (maybe three, but I think pistols can only take muzzle attachments + underbarrel attachment like laser/flashlight), eyepro (functional as protection.), vest, backpack, suit and helmet. All of these things will affect you differently, for example civilian clothes will probably lower your camo value and have less slots for gear, while advanced military suits will be heavier but also provide some degree of IR camouflage for example. Vests will have a carrying capacity as well as body protection. I don´t know how this works, and I can´t imagine it either because there´s so many possibillities, but Gaia assured me that bodyprotection will be modelled this time, and it will be affected by vest, helmet and goggles.

Obviously there´s also specialty gear like rebreathers and stuff like that, all working properly. Without a rebreather, you dive, you drown. Without swimming glasses, saltwater will burn your eyes. ACE2 style sunglasses should also be easy to implement.

As far as the campaign goes, I could imagine that you´d need to do gear management for yourself and your squad, especially in a situation where your force is hard pressed and without resupply/reinforcements, so you´ll have to scavenge weapons and gear. I don´t think they´ll implement gear degradation, but that would certainly add another fun level of kit management.
I've also got more on him on the state of ARMA 3 as of Gamescom if anyone wants me to post that? (Not PMs, but posts that I can link to.)

Oh yeah, have the summary of a BI survey on social networking features of ARMA 3 with 633 responses.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

Chortles posted:

A bunch of my notes on the state of ARMA 3 as of Gamescom are cribbed from BI forums users InstaGoat:

I've also got more on him on the state of ARMA 3 as of Gamescom if anyone wants me to post that? (Not PMs, but posts that I can link to.)

Great post, I have a question that a man of your knowledge may know.

What's the word on difficulty levels and the built-in range finders on scopes? Is that going to be across all difficulties, or will it be like arma 2 where going to veteran removes the nameplate feature? I'm actually concerned at how trivialized long-range engagements could be with that built-in range finger.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Chortles, you rarely fail to dredge up good tidbits of information about this series. Thanks for all that. I'll try and see if I can work in the sourced bits into the OP

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Wow the animations look extremely nice. It's really weird to see the recoil being so little. The aiming and movement seems extremely snappy too which is promising. I still feel it's going to be a buggy unoptimized game though...

Oh they're going to find an alternative to the action menu to steamline actions which is a big plus in my head.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Any in depth info on the mission editor? Will it be easier than previous installments? Or do we still have to know scripting and crap?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

In my opinion, without scripting, the mission editor would be useless. Some of the best missions I've played require a basic selection of scripts, such as a spectator script, stuff like Dynamic AI Creator's, and scripted events/actions.

So, to answer your question, to make missions that are really ground breaking, you are going to have to know how to do basic scripting, or at least know how to copy paste scripts into the right places. I do hope they make the mission editor a bit easier, but I think the best thing they could do to make missions easier to make is to make a comprehensive tutorial for it that explains the functions of all the buttons and functions.

They're also adding java scripting, which they introduced first in Take On:Helicoptors, so that should be interesting.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

I wonder what the mix of missions will be between the different characters. It seems like so far it's mainly been the regular infantry guy that has been shown. Wondering where a US Tanker will fall into a guerrilla campaign.

I'm assuming the alpha is gonna be open for everyone?

Just The Facts
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

God I hope the interface and controls are better than ARMAII. I really want to like that game but it just feels so clunky walking around.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I feel like a lot of what you are saying was only required because the editor was built in a way that made scripting necessary in the first place. I feel like there are at least a few things that could probably be done through menus and such, while undoubtedly more complex, heavily customized things would probably still need some degree of scripting. I'm not even suggesting scripting be removed, they could leave the script boxes there for all I care, but in 2012 I am sure it's possible to figure out how to assign certain behaviors or basic customizations to an entity without having to copy paste a script or something like that myself.

Like, for example, there should be zero scripting needed to create a basic artillery bombardment or air strike scenario. It should be dropping an entity onto the map, and, through simple menus, assigning the details of the event (duration, whether it is triggered by player proximity or a player action or if its independent of the player, type of ordinance used, area of effect, etc.) There really isn't any reason that kind of stuff can't be straight forward. It's possible to do it through scripting, so there is no reason it can't be done through menus at this point. The same can be said with editing a unit's loadout. Why isn't there simply an "edit inventory" button when I click on a unit?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

8lbsofanalsex posted:

I'm assuming the alpha is gonna be open for everyone?

I'm assuming you will need to preorder to enter in the alpha. An alpha of a Bohemia game is going to be pretty buggy, so I think they will prefer to have something more closed, controlled, and they have enough hardcore fans that will pay up to enter, no need to do it more open.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like a lot of what you are saying was only required because the editor was built in a way that made scripting necessary in the first place. I feel like there are at least a few things that could probably be done through menus and such, while undoubtedly more complex, heavily customized things would probably still need some degree of scripting. I'm not even suggesting scripting be removed, they could leave the script boxes there for all I care, but in 2012 I am sure it's possible to figure out how to assign certain behaviors or basic customizations to an entity without having to copy paste a script or something like that myself.

Like, for example, there should be zero scripting needed to create a basic artillery bombardment or air strike scenario. It should be dropping an entity onto the map, and, through simple menus, assigning the details of the event (duration, whether it is triggered by player proximity or a player action or if its independent of the player, type of ordinance used, area of effect, etc.) There really isn't any reason that kind of stuff can't be straight forward. It's possible to do it through scripting, so there is no reason it can't be done through menus at this point. The same can be said with editing a unit's loadout. Why isn't there simply an "edit inventory" button when I click on a unit?

Yeah, I think we're thinking along the same lines and I just misinterpreted what you were suggesting. It would be cool for pre scripted events like the ability to call in artillery to be easy as that to place, and I 100% agree with the inventory thing. In fact, the lack of an easy to edit inventory screen in the editor is one of my biggest gripes with it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Just The Facts posted:

God I hope the interface and controls are better than ARMAII. I really want to like that game but it just feels so clunky walking around.

Yes, from what I've heard from people I know who have played it, at E3 and gamescon and otherwise, it handles a lot better. Some even ventured to say it was as smooth as BF3, but with a lot more freedom regarding stances and such, but still feeling natural and not arcade-y

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mederlock, the "infantry animations and shooting" bit links to the same video you'd already posted, why not use some of my other links/timestamps? My linking to 4:13 was just for that one moment of "OH MY GOD this could never happen in ARMA 2". As for the controls video, I'd use the timestamp so that that video goes straight to 18 minutes in (I recommended 1080p because that was the only way it was visible for me).

Note that the campaign is SP only, no co-op option, but from InstaGoat's initial "back from GC, first impressions" report:

InstaGoat posted:

As far as mission design goes, gameplay will trump screenplay. Contrary to most big games studios (thinking specifically of the COD developer types here), BI are fully aware that they are making games, not movies, so they are trying to create cool missions first, before trying to tell a convoluted story. OFP:R and Arma were mentioned as examples, as well as a handful of other titles from the past that did it right.
This seems to be a summary of what's new compared to ARMA 2 so far as basic gameplay:

InstaGoat posted:

Now, these are things I have seen at gamescom that are implemented right now.

Dynamic stances/additional movement modes.
Weapons modification.
Personal protection gear (Bodyarmour, Helmets, Gasmasks/Glasses, Rebreathers.)
Weight modelling for all equipment, fatigue and encumberance modelling, slot limitations based on type of Loadbearing equipment.
Additional difficulty selections (Hint system, class specific HUD indicators)
New Muzzleflashes and according AI changes (Flash suppressors vs Recoil compensators vs Silencers affect AI visual/audio spotting differently as far as I was told.)
Improved AI (No new features, but completely spring-cleaned build with corrected and improved settings, as well as streamlined AI navigation and world perception. This was mentioned in a devblog too.)
Obviously, vehicle physics. Physics also affect smoke (Rotor downwash, wind, blastwaves) and will probably also be used to implement stuff like fastroping/vehicle towing.
All existing Arma 2/OA features where they have not been replaced with improved/more advanced substitutes.
Improved vehicle damage system, building on the existing one. (No penetration modelling so far, I believe.)
Performance enhancements.
Improved 2D editor with new features (briefing manager, possibly gear manager and other tools.)
New features/improvements regarding mod support.

Chortles fucked around with this message at Nov 18, 2012 around 13:09

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Honestly the only downer for me about this game so far is that near future setting, just because this game seems to fix 90% of what I disliked about Arma and the old OPFP games. I kind of want a regular modern setting, so I can play with regular weapons and vehicles. With the graphics fidelity taking a nice step up, I worry that it will be difficult for modders to keep up with the quality. I don't want to be stuck with lame pseudo-future stuff, unless it is going to be really downplayed and basically all the normal modern stuff will also still be in the game...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Honestly the only downer for me about this game so far is that near future setting, just because this game seems to fix 90% of what I disliked about Arma and the old OPFP games. I kind of want a regular modern setting, so I can play with regular weapons and vehicles. With the graphics fidelity taking a nice step up, I worry that it will be difficult for modders to keep up with the quality. I don't want to be stuck with lame pseudo-future stuff, unless it is going to be really downplayed and basically all the normal modern stuff will also still be in the game...
Err, ToastyPotato, the BI forums' "Is Arma 3 authentic?" thread reveals that besides the Mi-48 "Kajman" (or as I believe Ham dubbed it, the "Hamoc") among vehicles plus the MX rifle and the SDAR among small arms... yeah, a lot of ARMA 3's supposed "psuedo-future" stuff is modeled off of stuff that's been produced in real life.

Re: future "notes from InstaGoat", how should I go about putting that information together for the purposes of this thread?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Just The Facts posted:

To address this without directly quoting InstaGoat, which interface are you talking about? If you mean the inventory, instead of one scrolling list with everything both on the ground and on your character (with numbers to left and right to differentiate) and a number of boxes on the right, you've got three large panels; the right and middle panels should be self-explanatory (the blank tab above the middle would be for a backpack) while the left panel is stuff on the ground, and the bar under the middle and right panels represents your character's encumbrance, which effects your character's stamina that was mentioned in the OP.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Chortles posted:

Err, ToastyPotato, the BI forums' "Is Arma 3 authentic?" thread reveals that besides the Mi-48 "Kajman" (or as I believe Ham dubbed it, the "Hamoc") among vehicles plus the MX rifle and the SDAR among small arms... yeah, a lot of ARMA 3's supposed "psuedo-future" stuff is modeled off of stuff that's been produced in real life.

Re: future "notes from InstaGoat", how should I go about putting that information together for the purposes of this thread?

That's all well and good, but are the things they are modeling off of in wide circulation? Because if they aren't, I would hate to see things that actually are used not be in the game and be left to modders. Unless there was a modern DLC pack, which I would probably buy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

That's all well and good, but are the things they are modeling off of in wide circulation? Because if they aren't, I would hate to see things that actually are used not be in the game and be left to modders. Unless there was a modern DLC pack, which I would probably buy.
Wide circulation alright -- just mostly not with the US military

Out of the small arms, only the Mk 14 has been in what I'd call "wide circulation" (just look at the years of "EBR" appearances in video games such as MGS4) with the US military, and out of the vehicles besides the HEMTT (a cargo truck) there's the Osprey; the AH-6 and SDV are special ops, while the F-35 has yet to really circulate.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Yup, that's a skjold all right.

Just The Facts posted:

It's honest to god why I love Arma more than most shooters, honestly. You move around like you actually are a bit burdened by poo poo you carry and things don't just align themselves perfectly to be played like a game, but more as a simulator of sorts.

And it's good for making my friends who say they'd love to be in the military shut up, as they die in one bullet to the head.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It's honest to god why I love Arma more than most shooters, honestly. You move around like you actually are a bit burdened by poo poo you carry and things don't just align themselves perfectly to be played like a game, but more as a simulator of sorts.

You can't honestly say you enjoy how clunky (ala Metro 2033) Arma is, it's a subpar system and everyone including Bohemia knows it, which is why it's been fixed in Arma 3. It will have a stamina system, so the heavier you are, the harder it will be to keep up with everyone, and the longer it'll take for you to get your breath back for aimed shooting, which personally I find is the better system.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at Nov 19, 2012 around 20:57

Senor Science
Aug 21, 2004

MI DIOS!!! ESTA CIENCIA ES DIABOLICO!!!

I'm sold just on those screenshots.

Bobnumerotres
Jun 20, 2010

you don't even want to know how I shit

quote:

That's amazing.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

Mederlock posted:

You can't honestly say you enjoy how clunky (ala Metro 2033) Arma is

I honestly like how ARMA2 feels (and Metro 2033, though it's very different). That doesn't mean I wish every game played like ARMA2 or that the problems with going through doors and tight spaces aren't crappy.

But I'm pretty fat, so maybe I just like it 'cause it it feels like a good simulation of me as a soldier (if I could jog for more than 10 feet).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Yup, that's a skjold all right.

Mederlock posted:

You can't honestly say you enjoy how clunky (ala Metro 2033) Arma is, it's a subpar system and everyone including Bohemia knows it, which is why it's been fixed in Arma 3. It will have a stamina system, so the heavier you are, the harder it will be to keep up with everyone, and the longer it'll take for you to get your breath back for aimed shooting, which personally I find is the better system.

I disagree with your assessment, but that's because I don't really consider Arma "games" to be enjoyed to play, in the same way you enjoy playing Counter-Strike or Quake or Half-Life.

I enjoy it because of it's complexities, and taking it away kinda takes away from what makes Arma different from Operation Flashpoint(current ones).

It's just not meant to be that kind of shooter, I feel.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FELICITATIONS

So will it be possible to create James Bond scenarios where people are shooting at eachother underwater with harpoon guns?

I might have to pick this game up if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

I hope it doesn't run like poo poo, like the other ArmA games. (It will)

«187 »