Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I think this is the more correct thread, instead of the DayZ thread.

I enjoy Altis Life quite a bit, and noticed a new one on the horizon (Arma 3 Life), some people are streaming it.

Figured I'd go about signing up and try it out...

Quite a lengthy application process to get whitelisted as a civilian including:

- What makes you want to play Arma 3 Life (125 word minimum)

- Why should we let you into our club house (150 word minimum)

And a bunch of other stuff, including an interview on TS.

Well as you can imagine I was denied, because I didn't type enough nonsense words in my application.

I PM'd the dude who denied me and basically told him "I'm a grown adult with a real job, is word count really that important?"

Then I looked at his age, 16. :eng99:

For giggles here is their 'application form'

What is your first name for your RP character? :

What is your last name for your RP character? :

What's you Arma 3 UID?:

Is your in-game name, forum name and teamspeak name the same?:

What is your full DoB, and age? :

Where are you from? :

Do you both speak and understand fluent English?:

Why should we let you into ArmA 3 Life?(min 125 words):

Why do you want to join ArmA 3 Life? (min 150 words):

Character Background story (min 200 words)

Do you have any previous experience in ArmA Roleplay?:

Are you part of any other RP communities?:

Have you read and understood our rules?:

How did you find out about us? :

Please paste the link to the rules here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

I'm sorry you got rejected to roleplay with 16 year olds.

Back to something not as fascinating, does anyone currently on Dev know if BI have added center of mass simulation to the advanced flight model yet?
Last year they added an adjustable CoM script, but that doesn't allow for accurate dynamic shifts during uneven loading that slings and troop position cause.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Ignore the above poster. Strumpie is a goonlord shitter.

Most of the people itt don't see the appeal of playing the Life stuff in Arma... but if you're into it, ok whatever.

I hate that application poo poo, though. It's my biggest pet peeve in Arma in general.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Ignore the above poster. Strumpie is a goonlord shitter.

Most of the people itt don't see the appeal of playing the Life stuff in Arma... but if you're into it, ok whatever.

I hate that application poo poo, though. It's my biggest pet peeve in Arma in general.

I enjoy it in stints, the appeal of the white listing is hopefully to cut down on jerks

But really a 10 page application plus 'interview' by someone barely out of puberty is just retarded.

Just white list with the basic information, and if they do something stupid ban em :black101:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Sappo569 posted:

But really a 10 page application plus 'interview' by someone barely out of puberty is just retarded.

100% :agreed:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Strumpie posted:

Back to something not as fascinating, does anyone currently on Dev know if BI have added center of mass simulation to the advanced flight model yet?
Last year they added an adjustable CoM script, but that doesn't allow for accurate dynamic shifts during uneven loading that slings and troop position cause.
I haven't seen anything about that yet, only that fuel/ammo weight (but possibly not where their weight is) are taken into account when sling-loading with the advanced flight model. On the other hand, now "Helicopters have proper camera shake based on G-forces".

Also, the DLC helo in that screenshot is the... CH-67 Huron.
:negative:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Chortles posted:

Also, the DLC helo in that screenshot is the... CH-67 Huron.
:negative:

Okay I gotta give them the props that it's still keeping with the naming theme but the two digit step on the other hand is a tad bit lazy.
So far the only NATO chopper not named after American indigenous people is the Ghosthawk, which seems like a cop out if anything.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Naming US military helicopters after American indigenous peoples was codified practice at one point, while the "Ghosthawk" name I believe comes from some people's condensing "stealth Black Hawk" to simply "Stealth Hawk"... one step over and you've got "Ghosthawk". Heck, if that sounds funny, a bunch of upgraded A-4 Skyhawks -- with avionics from the F-16 Fighting Falcon -- were renamed to the Fightinghawk.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Chortles posted:

Naming US military helicopters after American indigenous peoples was codified practice at one point, while the "Ghosthawk" name I believe comes from some people's condensing "stealth Black Hawk" to simply "Stealth Hawk"... one step over and you've got "Ghosthawk". Heck, if that sounds funny, a bunch of upgraded A-4 Skyhawks -- with avionics from the F-16 Fighting Falcon -- were renamed to the Fightinghawk.

This is indeed why they named the AH-9 'Pawnee.'

I think BI have done a pretty good and imaginative job of naming and designing their aircraft. :shrug:
Different tastes, I guess, but they seem quite reasonable and 'realistic.'

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chortles posted:

Naming US military helicopters after American indigenous peoples was codified practice at one point, while the "Ghosthawk" name I believe comes from some people's condensing "stealth Black Hawk" to simply "Stealth Hawk"... one step over and you've got "Ghosthawk".

Yeah I knew about that. I still think it's a cop out when they went with the "normal" naming scheme for everything else and decided not to for that one specifically.
Although I'm a bit undecided on calling A-164 Wipeout possibly the lamest name given to a unit in the game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Actually that reminds me, has anyone done a total conversion for all the guns/units/vehicles from Operation Arrowhead to Arma3?

I hate the sci-fi futuristic crap in Arma3, I just want M4's and Russians! :bahgawd:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Actually that reminds me, has anyone done a total conversion for all the guns/units/vehicles from Operation Arrowhead to Arma3?

I hate the sci-fi futuristic crap in Arma3, I just want M4's and Russians! :bahgawd:

If you're willing to download 13 gigs there is always All in Arma but I have no clue how far they've really gotten with the implementation.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

There's quite a few mods out there that do what you want, sorta.

I heartily recommend the HLC gun packs: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?172850-Toadie-s-SmallArms-and-Animations-for-Arma3

And Killoch's Multinational Pack for some good gear retextures: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?182109-Killoch-s-MultiNational-Pack

The HLC AKs are particularly juicy.

Not much yet on the vehicle front though. Sooner or later. There might be some out there already but I haven't tried any.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 17, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What I would like is a return to Cold War era, instead of a return to modern war era. M113, Shilka, T72, BMP2, m72, M16A2 without super scopes... good times.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

What I would like is a return to Cold War era, instead of a return to modern war era. M113, Shilka, T72, BMP2, m72, M16A2 without super scopes... good times.

I'd love to see a modern Battlefield Vietnam type game myself. Probably one of the best Vietnam era games I've played were that and Shellshock on PS2.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Um.. go play Arma 2?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Then I've got the mod for you with East vs West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf7CYlrq4_g

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Even though they've been done to death, I'd love to see BI do a WW2 game.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

fuckpot posted:

Even though they've been done to death, I'd love to see BI do a WW2 game.
BI already licensed out the Arma 2 engine iteration to AWAR and X1 Software for Iron Front: Liberation 1944, I posted screenshots of its content being run in Arma 3 (via Iron Front LITE) and everything.

I agree with Cooked Auto though that East vs West is the closest thing I've seen to an "all in one" Cold War mod; I'm of the understanding that that Red Hammer Studios' ESCALATION is modern, so as great as their models look that wouldn't be the same, and CWR3 is not only not happening, but apparently their v1.0 loading screen declares "as BIS should have done it"... more likely (as their spokesman admitted a year and a half ago) that they realized that they couldn't "get the band back together" for CWR3 and put out anything before people would have already been playing Arma 4. :rolleyes:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm sure it's been mentioned a few times in the course of this goddamn enourmous thread, but anyone playing anything singleplayer - or co-op, for that matter - should probably be using the ASR AI 3 mod.

Lots of really good changes to make them behave more human. Generally less accurate (lower-skill AIs are generally worse shots), more shooty, more likely to take cover, pop smoke and otherwise protect themselves. They'll also call for support from nearby AI units with radios, so even older scenarios feel like they get an extra reinforcement wave or two.

From what I've played with it, it usually leads to longer, louder, much more interesting firefights, especially when there are machinegunners on both sides, as they love to just constantly fire away at any rock or bush that might contain a potential target.

Also, AI get penalties to accuracy based on health, so a guy who just caught four rifle rounds to the chest is probably going to be spraying wildly. Even seen AIs switch to pistols a few times having gone through too much ammo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chortles posted:

and CWR3 is not only not happening, but apparently their v1.0 loading screen declares "as BIS should have done it"... more likely (as their spokesman admitted a year and a half ago) that they realized that they couldn't "get the band back together" for CWR3 and put out anything before people would have already been playing Arma 4. :rolleyes:

Can't imagine they'd be able get their team together regardless since it seemed to be lead by people who hated BIS for going with Steam for A3 from what I can remember from one of their trailers being really really snide about the whole thing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

Um.. go play Arma 2?

But that has many things that are too modern! My immersion! :P

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The vehicles are the really lacking spot in mods right now. I don't know if it's just that A3 vehicles are just so much more complicated, or if people are holding off for all the DLC-introduced changes so they don't have to keep changing the vehicle configs or what.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

The vehicles are the really lacking spot in mods right now. I don't know if it's just that A3 vehicles are just so much more complicated, or if people are holding off for all the DLC-introduced changes so they don't have to keep changing the vehicle configs or what.

Mind you, I'm no vehicle modder by any means, but from what I've seen and heard about bringing in wheeled and tracked vehicles the new engine has a pretty steep learning curve in that regard. It certainly seems to be a bit more involved than it was with ARMA 2. I'd personally love to see someone bring the Armed and unarmed suburbans over from the PMC expansion.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dominic White posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned a few times in the course of this goddamn enourmous thread, but anyone playing anything singleplayer - or co-op, for that matter - should probably be using the ASR AI 3 mod.

Lots of really good changes to make them behave more human. Generally less accurate (lower-skill AIs are generally worse shots), more shooty, more likely to take cover, pop smoke and otherwise protect themselves. They'll also call for support from nearby AI units with radios, so even older scenarios feel like they get an extra reinforcement wave or two.

From what I've played with it, it usually leads to longer, louder, much more interesting firefights, especially when there are machinegunners on both sides, as they love to just constantly fire away at any rock or bush that might contain a potential target.

Also, AI get penalties to accuracy based on health, so a guy who just caught four rifle rounds to the chest is probably going to be spraying wildly. Even seen AIs switch to pistols a few times having gone through too much ammo.

I'm going to have to check that out, it sounds great.

It seems every time we get a new iteration of Arma they promise improved AI with all those features listed above, then end up plopping the same AI used in OFP instead.

Ok I might have exaggerated a bit, but anyone who has played all the games from OFP up know's what I mean

The biggest pain was always the AI accuracy even when set to rookie, even the enemy MG's would pick you off with single shots from 500-600m out, through smoke and behind a bush.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

It's pretty great. It's even fully compatible with the regular campaign, except for one of the prologue missions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

It seems every time we get a new iteration of Arma they promise improved AI with all those features listed above, then end up plopping the same AI used in OFP instead.

Ok I might have exaggerated a bit, but anyone who has played all the games from OFP up know's what I mean

The biggest pain was always the AI accuracy even when set to rookie, even the enemy MG's would pick you off with single shots from 500-600m out, through smoke and behind a bush.

I think the problem has always been the AI's perception rather than their accuracy. A player with a MG can probably pop an enemy at that range with burst/auto fire from prone. Making it in single shots is harder (especially if they're moving), but still not exceptionally difficult, especially if you've got a scope that can be zeroed to that range.

The thing is that it's very rare you'll actually SEE an enemy out at that range, especially if there's any kind of cover or concealment. They seem to have absolutely no trouble picking you out, however, even if you're prone in a big field of grass (I don't know if grass even interferes with AI lines of sight at all, but I feel like it doesn't). I think the core of the issue is that it's very hard to model human attention in a believable way. The AI sees everything all the time with equal priority, so whether or not it perceives an enemy is just a matter of the game deciding whether or not you're visible to them based on stuff like light level, distance, stance, etc. If it passes the visibility check, then they're automatically aware of you. Human attention is a lot more complex - people can SEE a lot of things, but whether or not they NOTICE them depends on a ton of different factors, which is why spotting an AI out at 600m is a lot easier if it's a big open plain compared to a hilly area with a ton of trees and bushes. Even if the AI is actually standing right out in the open, the presence of all that visual noise is still going to make it a lot harder to spot them, and that kind of thing just isn't considered by the AI.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The ASR AI definitely has some focus-priorities, better than vanilla AI. They tend to focus on whatever is loudest/brightest in their field of view, so it's pretty easy to have AI squadmates pin down enemies while you flank round. Usually the enemies won't even notice you're there until you've killed a couple of them.

Hell, I've managed to flank enemies by just popping my head out from cover, crouching out of sight and circling while the AI keeps firing at where they think I am.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sappo569 posted:

A big part of that was the weapon dispersion in OFP. It was absurdly loving tight for every single weapon :(

ASR 3 loving owns though, totally support that mod. A must-use for me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the problem has always been the AI's perception rather than their accuracy. A player with a MG can probably pop an enemy at that range with burst/auto fire from prone. Making it in single shots is harder (especially if they're moving), but still not exceptionally difficult, especially if you've got a scope that can be zeroed to that range.

The thing is that it's very rare you'll actually SEE an enemy out at that range, especially if there's any kind of cover or concealment. They seem to have absolutely no trouble picking you out, however, even if you're prone in a big field of grass (I don't know if grass even interferes with AI lines of sight at all, but I feel like it doesn't). I think the core of the issue is that it's very hard to model human attention in a believable way. The AI sees everything all the time with equal priority, so whether or not it perceives an enemy is just a matter of the game deciding whether or not you're visible to them based on stuff like light level, distance, stance, etc. If it passes the visibility check, then they're automatically aware of you. Human attention is a lot more complex - people can SEE a lot of things, but whether or not they NOTICE them depends on a ton of different factors, which is why spotting an AI out at 600m is a lot easier if it's a big open plain compared to a hilly area with a ton of trees and bushes. Even if the AI is actually standing right out in the open, the presence of all that visual noise is still going to make it a lot harder to spot them, and that kind of thing just isn't considered by the AI.

You're right 100%, in a supported prone position a light machine gun can pepper a man sized target easily at 600m, once you're ranged in single shots are easily attainable to score hits with.

The problem is the AI never uses burst fire, and rarely if ever dumps a magazine in panic. It's the curse of machines.

They always see, they are always accurate (unless the game introduces artificial cone of fire etc) and they only ever need 1 bullet at a time :)

I know in the old days we used to just modify the server file so all AI units were terribly inaccurate, which created much extended fire fights, but as the distance closed to under 100m you would see AI putting 30 rounds or more into an area and missing every shot.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Can't imagine they'd be able get their team together regardless since it seemed to be lead by people who hated BIS for going with Steam for A3 from what I can remember from one of their trailers being really really snide about the whole thing.
I remember being told that it was a mix of anti-Steam and anti-2035 -- and as I said, even the loading screen outright complains about BI -- but about a week before Arma 3's alpha public release, here's what the leader admitted after listing some of the new capabilities in the Arma 3 engine:

W0lle posted:

From the perspective of an addon maker, this is adding yet more layers of complexity which requires even more time and effort. Currently, we have only one guy in the team who is able to do all that work. How much work the terrains will be no one can tell. But, as many of you may know, we were only able to deliver all of them last year. We started the Mod after the ARMA 2 release in 2009, in all the years we had great help from skilled and dedicated people; we also received a lot of model donations from very kind supporters and Bohemia Interactive. Nevertheless, we are still not done 4 years later. If we would move to ARMA 3 with the current team the estimated development time would be around 8 years or even more. By then, no one would even remember ARMA 3.

Besides the time and workload affect, I also have no interest in spending the entire lifetime of another game creating a Mod which only gets done when the next game is released. I'm also tired of constantly running after people, begging them to help us out, only to receive broken promises. I joined the original team shortly after the ArmA release in 2006 and spent 7 years of my life on this Mod already. Enough is enough, it's time for me to draw a line and finally enjoy ARMA 2 while it lives.
I always thought that the first two sentences of that last paragraph revealed what the real motivation behind the anti-BI attitude was...

hailthefish posted:

LCL-Dead posted:

Mind you, I'm no vehicle modder by any means, but from what I've seen and heard about bringing in wheeled and tracked vehicles the new engine has a pretty steep learning curve in that regard. It certainly seems to be a bit more involved than it was with ARMA 2. I'd personally love to see someone bring the Armed and unarmed suburbans over from the PMC expansion.
One bit I left out from the quote of w0lle basically throwing in the towel was that "vehicles will require inverse kinematics for hand steering and also PhysX support", and from all I've heard from other modders "physically accurate cars and tanks" in particular are extremely time-consuming and complex in comparison to the PhysX implementations for anything else, necessitating both model work and heavy config work, with continual testing and tweaking... here's the car config guidelines for A3, for starters, and here's the tank config guidelines.

Heck, for helicopters there's about a dozen new config parameters (inside the RotorLibHelicopterProperties class) for the advanced flight model, one of which calls a XML file where most of the FM is defined... and with empty lines included the official sample helo's XML is a whopping 1120 lines and mostly not annotated. Here is a thread that helps to explain the basic idea for getting the advanced flight model going (in fairness, that's still important for newcomers), but the closest-to-official explanation is just (excerpted? reprinted?) from the 4.0 version of the official RotorLib Programmer's Guide and based on the RotorLib version used in Take On Helicopters v1.04.

Boats and fixed-wing have new config parameters as well for PhysX, but from what I've seen they're not nearly as much as ground vehicles and helos got, though with the way that the devs seem to treat boats and fixed-wing as unwanted bastard children...

(Here's guidelines for personal weapons, here's a modeling-only tutorial for real-world-style collimator sights, and here's an alpha-period guide for characters that may or may not have been obsoleted by both engine changes and the Arma 3 Tools.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I guess BIS will manage to clean up and simplify that whole process somewhere around Arma 5 then. :v:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Raptors on the attack!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwLFQ0aN4q4&t=82s

Cooked Auto posted:

So I guess BIS will manage to clean up and simplify that whole process somewhere around Arma 5 then. :v:
Ehhh, if anything I'm really not expecting that -- you theoretically could still use the original non-PhysX simulation types from the prior Arma games, but then said cars end up performing unrealistically or buggy, the problem is more that with PhysX there's so many more variables for modders to have to tweak to get their ground vehicle to move juuuuuuust right (never underestimate the power of :spergin: ).

Turin Turambar, East vs. West just updated:

quote:

V0.9
*New vehicles SU-25, A10, Shilka, M163
*New weapons Igla and Stinger
*AA riflemen and pilots both sides
*Now compatible with J.S.R.S. and ALive mods
*Several bugs fixed (a lot more added for sure :-))
Also, here's Namalsk in A3:

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Reading that car config guide, one gets the impression that with a little(read: a lot) you've basically got a full on rallying mod waiting to be made.

I mean seriously, config variables taken into account for CLUTCH SLIP? SWAY BARS? This is kind of serious car physics poo poo.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Chortles posted:

Raptors on the attack!

Haha, wow, getting some serious Dinotopia vibes from that. Imagining Man/Dinosaur strike teams and other absurd poo poo, hope something cool comes from it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Cuntpunch posted:

Reading that car config guide, one gets the impression that with a little(read: a lot) you've basically got a full on rallying mod waiting to be made.

I mean seriously, config variables taken into account for CLUTCH SLIP? SWAY BARS? This is kind of serious car physics poo poo.

Is it possible to have analog steering, gas and braking yet? You'd think that with all of those variables it'd be possible, but the last time I tried driving with my 360 controller, the gas and brake were still digitally controlled and I couldn't find a way to change that.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is it possible to have analog steering, gas and braking yet? You'd think that with all of those variables it'd be possible, but the last time I tried driving with my 360 controller, the gas and brake were still digitally controlled and I couldn't find a way to change that.

Mine works fine. Just a regular wired 360 controller and mapped the controls, full analogue input.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chortles posted:

Raptors on the attack!

When that thing is actually released I am so going to add that to our groups repo and then after that figure out how to make a mission using them.
Which probably means downloading the AiA terrain pack since that requires a proper jungle island as well.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Dandywalken posted:

A big part of that was the weapon dispersion in OFP. It was absurdly loving tight for every single weapon :(

ASR 3 loving owns though, totally support that mod. A must-use for me.

I'll have to try it in A3.

I found an occasional issue with ASR in ArmA2/OA is the hearing changes a lot - units will turn and converge on your position, and from that point they will usually spot you very rapidly, and from a great distance. It's not a problem all the time, just in certain missions.

The more complex built-in logic can cause some odd mission editing effects too - you need to be careful units don't start doing their own thing in response to a fight a mile away. It may be realistic, but it will really gently caress with your mission scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wish there was a way to get units to forget about you.

Then again, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

But basically it's been a bitch that you are in a mission with AI and if your side is friendly to them, and they spot you- they never attack you even if your side switches to enemy.