Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It sounds to me like the root of your problem is that you want use non-fatiguing movement all the time, even during firefights, and are thus constantly toggling it on and off in between all your other actions. Running with weapon lowered is for when you need to travel several hundred meters or more in one go with no immediate threat to you. For the short bursts of movement from cover to cover during firefights, just moving with weapon raised is a non-issue since any fatigue you gain quickly dissipates between movement (unless you've excessively overloaded yourself with gear).

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What?

What sense does that make? Why would I keep my gun in front of my face all the time? Sometimes I want to do that in a fight, sometimes I just want to move because I'm being shot at or I am catching up with my squad. The combat pace and default paces are, as I've said several times now, sensible and functionally different stances.

But if I'm approaching a town through a rocky field or hillside, as is often the case, and I'm moving stretches of 15-20m at a time, stopping for a moment, looking at the town, probably through my optics to see better, then moving on again, I don't see why I should have to keep pressing the stupid lower weapon button in between every movement and then clicking to raise the weapon every time I stop. Stamina wise that is the correct thing to do, because I'm not going to stop and raise the weapon in the middle of a run, I'm going to get to cover first. Once I'm IN cover, I have plenty of time to get ready to fire, so readiness speed isn't a concern.

So why is there a drat button you have to press every few seconds just to move efficiently over short distances? It's stupid and serves no practical purpose. Over very short distances it doesn't matter and neither would giving that stance the more efficient stamina rate, over longer distances there's no reason not to do it, so why do I have to press a button for it?

It's just wasted control input. Again, this is not something I would have difficulty doing in real life because I would do it without thinking. Translated into ArmA there's a button for it which makes it something I have to think about or suffer stamina penalties.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There are four weapon related stances right now: 1 using ironsights/shouldered (RMB), 2 normal relaxed shouldered (C key), 3 normal unshouldered but ready (C key, as it's a toggle), and 4 weapon lowered (controlx2).
I think the system could be reduced to just three. In fact the system has always been just three in Arma 3 (at least at release), and it was just two in Arma 1/2. It went from 2 to 3 when the shouldered-and-slower-movement-but-still-not-using-the-ironsights (C key) was introduced. The fourth one, with the weapon lowered, has never been used for gameplay, the reason of its existence it was just for animations of AI soldiers walking as if there was no danger, machimina videos, that type of thing.

But with the changes of fatigue, they thought of putting a even lower energy expenditure in an animation they already had. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to differentiate between the number 3 and number 4, they are almost identical, you just need to click once and the weapon is raised, so they could have used that fatigue level in 3 directly. It was an addition of simmy busywork for the same of simmy busywork. Gameplay wise, with the addition of the combat stance C key, and the use of the rmb button, we already had sprinting, jogging, walking with weapon raised and walking with weapon unraised which already was a solid amount of options.

Do we really need to define the exact position of the weapon with 4 levels of granularity?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

There are four weapon related stances right now: 1 using ironsights/shouldered (RMB), 2 normal relaxed shouldered (C key), 3 normal unshouldered but ready (C key, as it's a toggle), and 4 weapon lowered (controlx2).
I think the system could be reduced to just three. In fact the system has always been just three in Arma 3 (at least at release), and it was just two in Arma 1/2. It went from 2 to 3 when the shouldered-and-slower-movement-but-still-not-using-the-ironsights (C key) was introduced. The fourth one, with the weapon lowered, has never been used for gameplay, the reason of its existence it was just for animations of AI soldiers walking as if there was no danger, machimina videos, that type of thing.

But with the changes of fatigue, they thought of putting a even lower energy expenditure in an animation they already had. But it doesn't make a lot of sense to differentiate between the number 3 and number 4, they are almost identical, you just need to click once and the weapon is raised, so they could have used that fatigue level in 3 directly. It was an addition of simmy busywork for the same of simmy busywork. Gameplay wise, with the addition of the combat stance C key, and the use of the rmb button, we already had sprinting, jogging, walking with weapon raised and walking with weapon unraised which already was a solid amount of options.

This is what I'm trying to say.

Though, is there a functional difference between 1 and 2? I thought it just moved your viewpoint? I think you also have the option of walking with your gun up, which is achieved by toggling the walk key and moving around, which is a bit slower and steadier than combat pace. I don't know where it comes in with regards to stamina per meter efficiency.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Chortles posted this way back. The rates at which you gain fatigue.

Jogging, gun lowered 0.6
Jogging, gun raised 1.0
Crouch jogging, gun lowered 1.0
Crouch jogging, gun raised 1.4
standing up, combat pace 1.5
crouching, combat pace 2.0
standing sprint 3.3
normal crawling 3.4
crouch sprint 4.0
fast crawling 4.6

There is a (seemingly?) multiplicative effect on these depending on if you are going up or down steep terrain. When you are decending a hill, you can actually have your fatigue go down instead of up. After seeing these figures I really made an effort to manage fatigue more and the results are being able to go 2km wearing as much as you possibly can at a jogging pace without having to stop to rest or be completely swayed in combat. This is across a flat terrain. Going across hilly terrain upwards will always make you fatigue quick if you're constantly jogging.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

Chortles posted this way back. The rates at which you gain fatigue.

Jogging, gun lowered 0.6
Jogging, gun raised 1.0
Crouch jogging, gun lowered 1.0
Crouch jogging, gun raised 1.4

One moment. What does it mean gun lowered or raised here? Is it raised moving while using the ironsights (RMB)? It would make sense for the fatigue to be higher then. But then the "lowered" would mean "not using ironsights" basically... which isn't gun lowered with controlx2, it's just normal position.
If not, it means there is not difference between using the ironsights or not, which sounds a bit silly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

One moment. What does it mean gun lowered or raised here? Is it raised moving while using the ironsights (RMB)? It would make sense for the fatigue to be higher then. But then the "lowered" would mean "not using ironsights" basically... which isn't gun lowered with controlx2, it's just normal position.
If not, it means there is not difference between using the ironsights or not, which sounds a bit silly.

The only way I can read it is controlx2, because you can't jog with the gun raised unless you count combat pace, which is listed separately. Being in or out of ironsights doesn't affect you at all to my knowledge, your character always is considered to be aiming if their gun is raised, ironsights just determines your first person view.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

My assumption is that gun raised is the "default stance" non-ironsights. Gun lowered is CTRLx2. Ironsights is the equivalent of combat pace.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

What?

What sense does that make? Why would I keep my gun in front of my face all the time? Sometimes I want to do that in a fight, sometimes I just want to move because I'm being shot at or I am catching up with my squad. The combat pace and default paces are, as I've said several times now, sensible and functionally different stances.

But if I'm approaching a town through a rocky field or hillside, as is often the case, and I'm moving stretches of 15-20m at a time, stopping for a moment, looking at the town, probably through my optics to see better, then moving on again, I don't see why I should have to keep pressing the stupid lower weapon button in between every movement and then clicking to raise the weapon every time I stop. Stamina wise that is the correct thing to do, because I'm not going to stop and raise the weapon in the middle of a run, I'm going to get to cover first. Once I'm IN cover, I have plenty of time to get ready to fire, so readiness speed isn't a concern.

So why is there a drat button you have to press every few seconds just to move efficiently over short distances? It's stupid and serves no practical purpose. Over very short distances it doesn't matter and neither would giving that stance the more efficient stamina rate, over longer distances there's no reason not to do it, so why do I have to press a button for it?

It's just wasted control input. Again, this is not something I would have difficulty doing in real life because I would do it without thinking. Translated into ArmA there's a button for it which makes it something I have to think about or suffer stamina penalties.

And I'm saying that if you're lowering and raising your weapon again every few seconds, you're doing it wrong. Just move without lowering your weapon first in those cases. The additional fatigue gained from doing so in short bursts is easily recovered in the breaks between movement.

I get that you want the games control scheme consolidated into less buttons, and I can agree with that. But complaining about having to lower your weapons every few seconds is missing the point of that particular button in your abject fear of fatigue. It's there to press once before spending minutes or more running, at the cost of it taking seconds extra to bring your weapon to bear if you are caught by surprise during that run.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I don't see the slowdown caused by having to either double tap control or hit the fire key to bring your weapon back up. I get what you're saying now and I can understand your frustration but that level of frustration has never hit me.

When I'm playing, even in an LMG slot, I carry minimal poo poo and fatigue is hardly ever a worry. Hell, the last match I played the GM dumped into a field 5km from the skirmish and I had to make my way up the side of a mountain (Though i use that word loosely) to traverse along the ridgeline. I was carrying the Mk200, 4 spare pouches/belts, 3 frags, 4 smokes and the required AGM medical gear. Fatigue never became an issue and when I did finally arrive at the fob (with +2 in tow) it took seconds for my fatigue level to drop back down.

Mind you, I did not sprint at all, but set the combat jog pace with the weapon lowered. Moving in towns and cities, moving short distances across open terrain, I never run into this issue of not being able to get my weapon up quick enough or having to meta-game the stances to keep my fatigue low. Could it be a bit much to manage? Sure. I don't see the issue with it though but I guess it's different pokes for different folks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I take issue with it because the efficiency gained by doing all the button mashing would probably allow me to take an extra rocket, or set of medkits, or MG belt, or a bunch of spare mags. That seems like a really silly tradeoff. Combat efficiency or awkward controls.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
A few things:

OwlFancier posted:

There is virtually no distinguishable stance difference in arma 3 between a moving soldier with weapon ready and a moving soldier with weapon lowered.

There is absolutely a difference in stance between lowered and raised weapon. The raised weapon stance has the unit with his rifle shouldered and lowered by about 15 degrees. Lowered weapon has the unit with his rifle completely lowered and roughly parallel to his chest. There are, I believe, also movement speed differences between the two stances.

OwlFancier posted:

And that's an annoying amount of buttons to press, the game as enough drat buttons as it is, I don't need more buttons. Buttons take away from realism and immersion because I don't do stuff in real life by pressing buttons most of the time. Especially for things which I would normally do very fluently, having me go press a button to toggle between discrete modes of behavior with no inbetween is extremely jarring and unrealistic.

The buttons I use frequently in Arma 3 are: WASD QER ZXCVM Shift and Ctrl
The buttons I use in other FPS games are: WASD QER 12345 Shift Ctrl and Space

OwlFancier posted:

Why are you doing this? Lowering your weapon isn't for moving efficiently over short distances, it's for moving efficiently over long distances.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 20, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roshnak posted:

The buttons I use in other FPS games are: WASD QER Shift Ctrl Space 12345

I use WASD, QER, Shift, Ctrl ZXCGIMTFNV, alt, mouse 4 and 5, pg up and down, and the scroll wheel menu which counts as about 10 buttons in terms of bloody awkwardness.

Roshnak posted:

Why are you doing this? Lowering your weapon isn't for moving efficiently over short distances, it's for moving efficiently over long distances.

Because why wouldn't I do it? It makes me aim better and lets me carry more stuff, stuff that I will definitely be using if I'm playing a medic, an AT soldier, a machinegunner, a demolitionist, or just about anything other than a basic infantryman.

The only reason not to do it is the controls, which is why I am arguing that the controls for that shouldn't be a gameplay point.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
People who play ARMA a lot tend to be used to its poor interaction schemes, and this is hardly the worst of it (action menu among other things come to mind). It's still badly designed and wasteful , but pretty minor as far this game is concerned.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I use WASD, QER, Shift, Ctrl ZXCGIMTFNV, alt, mouse 4 and 5, pg up and down, and the scroll wheel menu which counts as about 10 buttons in terms of bloody awkwardness.

Because why wouldn't I do it? It makes me aim better and lets me carry more stuff, stuff that I will definitely be using if I'm playing a medic, an AT soldier, a machinegunner, a demolitionist, or just about anything other than a basic infantryman.

The only reason not to do it is the controls, which is why I am arguing that the controls for that shouldn't be a gameplay point.

It sounds like you need to take a look at your controls. Arma definitely has an awkward control scheme, and the action menu is criminally terrible, but I don't understand why you are using so many keys. I forgot to include G for gear and mouse 5 for grenades, but I don't understand why you are frequently using pg up and down unless you are always using iron sights or sniper rifles.

As for your gear requirements, your team mates should be helping to carry that gear. That is why there are things like assistant machine gunners and asistant AT soldiers.

I don't understand why you are trying to min-max your fatigue levels to the degree that you are. Unless you're sitting at like 80% load, there is no reason to lower your weapon for movements less than 100m. Just pause for an extra second or two between movements and your stamina will be recovered. Either way, I would argue that the fact that the system is causing you to consider these factors means that it is working exactly as intended.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roshnak posted:

The buttons I use in other FPS games are: WASD QER 12345 Shift Ctrl and Space

The default standards bindings are the ones you put... and also a few ones you forgot

B binocs
N nightvision or thermal
G throw grenade

T lock target
Y switch soldier
I inventory
O watch
K compass
L flashlight or lights from vehicle
space give orders
1..9 and F1..F12, order system

. numpad overview camera
enter numpad third person view
Alt look around

pageup increase range
pagedown decrease range
- zoom in in some fixed or vehicle weapons
+ zoom out in some fixed or vehicle weapons

And I'm not adding the six keys for multiplayer (I, P, ',', '.', caps lock, - ) or the combos like right control + M for gps ;). I suppose you can put a few in extra mouse buttons, but not everything.
edit: in bolded the ones used in almost every scenario, to make the comparison fair.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roshnak posted:

It sounds like you need to take a look at your controls. Arma definitely has an awkward control scheme, and the action menu is criminally terrible, but I don't understand why you are using so many keys. I forgot to include G for gear and mouse 5 for grenades, but I don't understand why you are frequently using pg up and down unless you are always using iron sights or sniper rifles.

As for your gear requirements, your team mates should be helping to carry that gear. That is why there are things like assistant machine gunners and asistant AT soldiers.

I don't understand why you are trying to min-max your fatigue levels to the degree that you are. Unless you're sitting at like 80% load, there is no reason to lower your weapon for movements less than 100m. Just pause for an extra second or two between movements and your stamina will be recovered. Either way, I would argue that the fact that the system is causing you to consider these factors means that it is working exactly as intended.

Ranging is important with any weapon you're using from some distance away, so if I'm in a support MG role it comes into play a lot, also when using grenade launchers.

Also yeah there's a bunch more controls too, if you do much other than basic infantry you need a lot of buttons.

As I play in informal groups, there isn't that degree of teamwork and even if there was, everyone else is always carrying a bucketload of mags anyway. Even if not, why should I carry less stuff to avoid having to press buttons? That's a really silly notion of game balance.

The system encourages awkward controls for no good reason. It would do its job of encouraging considered loadout choices with or without the 0.6/1.0 stamina rate distinction. As I said I'm fine with the weight effects being as they are, but the 'run without crippling yourself' mode is really gamey and needlessly clunky to use.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Why worry about fatigue and running around on the ground, real men FLY!

The mighty Huron carries 16+4 and a Hunter/Container at its max capacity with 2 door gunners and two FFV at the openable ramp.

Military performance with civilian comfort.

Piloting not for you? Become a loadmaster, TODAY!

Need a rest? Take a nap in our luxury sky loungers.

Want to fight like a solider, without the walking? Fly and fight in style with our patented 'Aerobatic Safe Soldier,' platform.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Do they reduce the rotorwash audio when you're inside the MH-9 with closed doors? I'd love to fly for 2+ hours without having my hearing go numb to that freaking noise.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

The default standards bindings are the ones you put... and also a few ones you forgot

I use right-click to lock targets, mouse 5 for grenades, g for inventory, ctrl-x for compass, shift+ctrl-x for watch, ctrl-r for lights, ctrl-f for GPS, TrackIR for freelook, and I do not commonly switch between first and third person views or use the command menu functions. I could probably count on one hand the number of times that I have used the switch soldier key. There is no question that the controls and keybinding menu are not great, but there aren't significantly more commonly used controls than games of similar complexity.

If you want to add the six keys for multiplayer, you may as well add the up to 5 keys that other multiplayer games use for the same functions (also what is - used for?)

There are keys that I left out of other FPS games as well: keys for map, team switch, class switch, buy menus, prone, alternate fire, walk keys, special melee keys, etc.

OwlFancier posted:

Ranging is important with any weapon you're using from some distance away, so if I'm in a support MG role it comes into play a lot, also when using grenade launchers.

Also yeah there's a bunch more controls too, if you do much other than basic infantry you need a lot of buttons.

As I play in informal groups, there isn't that degree of teamwork and even if there was, everyone else is always carrying a bucketload of mags anyway. Even if not, why should I carry less stuff to avoid having to press buttons? That's a really silly notion of game balance.

The system encourages awkward controls for no good reason. It would do its job of encouraging considered loadout choices with or without the 0.6/1.0 stamina rate distinction. As I said I'm fine with the weight effects being as they are, but the 'run without crippling yourself' mode is really gamey and needlessly clunky to use.

Ranging keys don't do anything on like 70% of the optics in the game. I'm not saying they aren't useful, just that I wouldn't include them in my list of controls that I use every time I play the game.

It really doesn't sound like you have actually tested this system at all. You're describing problems that aren't there. You don't have to carry less stuff to avoid having to press buttons, you're just pressing too many buttons for no reason. Stop it. You don't have to. Lowering your weapong doesn't make a big enough difference to be worth doing over a distance of 20 meters. At 55% load it builds up 2% fatigue with your weapon raised. It goes away in 2 seconds. At the same load, it takes 67 meters to become 10% fatigued and 13 seconds to fully recover (standing with the weapon still raised). There aren't even any noticable sway effects at that level. This is with an MX, 10 mags, a pistol, 4 mags, 4 frags, 2 FAKS and a medkit -- are you actually routinely taking more than that?

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 20, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

ctrl-x for compass, shift+ctrl-x for watch, ctrl-r for lights, ctrl-f for GPS,

Jeezz... that's not using less keys for the game! Technically it's less keys, yeah, but you still have to remember all the combinations for the keybindings, which is the bad part of having too many actions, not having to use "too many keys" by itself.

------

MERCS is blowing me away. Mission variety is very nice, there are some extra stuff apart from the missions like playing a 1vs1 duel for money or playing blackjack, the permanent stash gives you a great progression feeling to the game, it feels great to loot a satchel charge or a nvg and then not having to buy that poo poo when it's needed for a mission or seeing your weapon collection grow, there are extra mission endings some of them secret, there are some interesting twists in the story and I just reached a second hub where you can upgrade your camp with improvements that unlock stuff or build defenses, buy vehicles to use for the missions... it's basically what BI desired to do but they couldn't or didn't know how.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Is the Littlebird, But This Time With Doors Instead Of Benches really our third helicopter for the DLC pack? That seems rather underwhelming. I'm happy with the future Chinook and the future Skycrane, but I was kind of hoping for an actually new third helicopter instead of a slight model edit of something we already have.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Jeezz... that's not using less keys for the game! Technically it's less keys, yeah, but you still have to remember all the combinations for the keybindings, which is the bad part of having too many actions, not having to use "too many keys" by itself.

Everything is within easy reach. It's not particularly difficult to remember, although I have been using this setup since the modifier system was introduced in Arma 2 (I think), so maybe I'm just used to it.

You say there are too many actions, but what would you do to fix that? I guess you could condense stuff like the watch, GPS, and compass down into one item or something, but that's definitely taking away gameplay options from mission makers who want to limit the player's access to information. You could use commo roses and context menus and stuff, but that's way clunkier and slower than just using a keybind. Although I guess it gets rid of the requirement for really remembering anything.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Spoggerific posted:

Is the Littlebird, But This Time With Doors Instead Of Benches really our third helicopter for the DLC pack? That seems rather underwhelming. I'm happy with the future Chinook and the future Skycrane, but I was kind of hoping for an actually new third helicopter instead of a slight model edit of something we already have.

I thought we were only getting two choppers so the littlebird is a nice surprise although if BIS has been saying the DLC was going to be three new helicopters and that the third one then yeah, pretty underwhelming.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strumpie posted:

Why worry about fatigue and running around on the ground, real men FLY!

This is my general method of playing the game when possible. I get irritated that I can't increase my soldier's collective and hover otherwise.

Roshnak posted:

This is with an MX, 10 mags, a pistol, 4 mags, 4 frags, 2 FAKS and a medkit -- are you actually routinely taking more than that?

Almost all the time, really. I never just take an MX because what's the point? The team always needs more rockets or machineguns or people with backpacks full of FAKs.

I generally use something like an MXC, 6 magazines, a couple of smoke grenades, a couple of frag grenades, a couple of medkits, sometimes up to four if the medics keep getting shot, a rocket launcher of some description, preferably the RPG42 because I find it easier to use, and at least three rockets. Four or five is really needed to fight multiple T100s but obviously you can't carry that many without a carryall and then you can barely move.

That will usually serve for some limited infantry combat and maybe a tank. With luck I can scavenge more rockets off of dead enemies which is the other reason I like using the RPG42.

But yeah, I keel over dead after about 100 meters even with 3 rockets. It's pretty lame. Unless I keep tapping the lower weapon key.

Which, incidentally, also has a habit of getting me stuck in weapon switching animations when used with some equipment other than the rifle.

Edit: Oh and a laser designator + batteries because I'm the only person who knows how to call in artillery/CAS a lot of the time.

Edit2: And if it's a night mission, chemlights, IR strobes, and probably some M203 flares to illuminate/mark targets.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 20, 2014

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
So you're basically carrying an entire army's worth of equipment by yourself and are surprised that it is making you tired?

When you say medkit, do you mean FAK or the actual big heavy medkit that medics carry? Because there is no reason to ever have more than one of those; they don't get used up. AT guys should not be carrying more than 2 rockets. One in the tube and maybe one spare. The rest should be distributed throughout your team. Instead of carrying enough FAKS for your entire team, why not have each person carry 2 or 3? Laser designators are stupid heavy. Maybe have someone else take the AT weapon if you are the only person who knows how to use the designator?

Honestly, why don't you just turn off fatigue if you are going to play like this?

P.S. At 89% load, with a Zafir and 3 boxes of ammunition, a pistol and 4 magazines, 2 FAKs, 4 frags, an RPG-42 and 4 rockets, a laser designator, and a UAV terminal, running for 100 meters across flat terrain with my weapon raised caused me to become 22% fatigued. My inventory was completely full.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So to "TEST" the new helo's, do I need to have purchased anything? I read on the forums some people were getting messages that they couldnt access them at all, as in getting-in etc.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
You can't manually get in, but if you place a helo on the map and make it playable you will spawn in it.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So after a year of waiting for a crash issue with my R9 280x to get fixed i have finally bit the bullet and put in an order for a GTX-980 instead. I'll finally be able to get into this game fully!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roshnak posted:

So you're basically carrying an entire army's worth of equipment by yourself and are surprised that it is making you tired?

When you say medkit, do you mean FAK or the actual big heavy medkit that medics carry? Because there is no reason to ever have more than one of those; they don't get used up. AT guys should not be carrying more than 2 rockets. One in the tube and maybe one spare. The rest should be distributed throughout your team. Instead of carrying enough FAKS for your entire team, why not have each person carry 2 or 3? Laser designators are stupid heavy. Maybe have someone else take the AT weapon if you are the only person who knows how to use the designator?

Honestly, why don't you just turn off fatigue if you are going to play like this?

P.S. At 89% load, with a Zafir and 3 boxes of ammunition, a pistol and 4 magazines, 2 FAKs, 4 frags, an RPG-42 and 4 rockets, a laser designator, and a UAV terminal, running for 100 meters across flat terrain with my weapon raised caused me to become 22% fatigued. My inventory was completely full.

FAKs. Medkits as you say only require one.

I'm not surprised that carrying a lot of equipment is tiring, I have said multiple times that the carry weight system is sensible, at full load you tire very quickly and that represents you lugging the absolute physical limit, which you may sometimes want to do, so it's good that the capacity is there, but your normal operating load should be lighter.

My issue, once again, is that it is quite possible to manage a higher load, provided you do the stupid control fuckery. Thus, the optimal operating load should take that into account. However in doing so, you necessitate fiddling with the controls a lot to manage fatigue.

Fatigue management should not involve excessive control fiddling, your argument is that I don't need to do that, my argument is that I benefit from doing that, if I am carrying a lot of load, and that carrying a lot of load is sensible because by using the lower weapon trick, it is entirely manageable from a fatigue standpoint.

The choice should not be between more control awkwardness, or fewer supplies, that is a poor counterbalance mechanic.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
You do realize that the average medium AT/AA launcher's missiles can weigh easily up to ~20-30 pounds, and that's even before you're considering the launchers weight. 2-3 rockets+the launcher and a rifle with a smallish ammount of ammuniton is a good bit more weight then a fully combat loaded infantryman carries IRL, and that's before you factor in literally everything else a soldier carries. Obviously the game wouldn't be fun if they stuck to trying to be 100% realistic all the time, but having pseudo-realism in terms of combat load is *more* then alright by me, in fact, it's preferred. It's one of those areas that now significantly separates Arma from most FPS's, even moreso then before. Running around with a load like you described is exactly the sort of thing that needed to be addressed.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Why do you need 4-5 rockets to take out a tank? You're shooting the top or rear hull, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you must then removing the stance benefit to having a lowered weapon and making it 1.0 across the board would also be an acceptable solution. Personally I would recommend putting the stock stamina balance at a more forgiving level to accomodate casual play and let enthusiast players and groups set it further down if they so desire, as they are more likely to have the forethought and knowhow to do it.

Once again, making it possible to manage a significantly higher load by fiddling with the ctrl key is silly, and will be silly however low you set the bar for equipment weight.

Ynglaur posted:

Why do you need 4-5 rockets to take out a tank? You're shooting the top or rear hull, right?

I shoot it in the wherever I can bloody well hit it without its laser psychic machineguns killing me. One or two usually disables it, three if I don't have a good angle.

Four or five is because I usually fight three or so tanks at once so I need lots of rockets. Also I like rockets so having more means you can fire them at ifrits for fun. Also the RPG42 can fire HE rockets which are good for shooting at petrol stations, infantry, or large buildings which may have infantry inside them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 21, 2014

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

You wouldn't need to be so anal about the fatigue system if weren't carrying so much poo poo. Also as others have said, don't do it every drat time you have to move.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

OwlFancier posted:

If you must then removing the stance benefit to having a lowered weapon and making it 1.0 across the board would also be an acceptable solution. Personally I would recommend putting the stock stamina balance at a more forgiving level to accomodate casual play and let enthusiast players and groups set it further down if they so desire, as they are more likely to have the forethought and knowhow to do it.

Once again, making it possible to manage a significantly higher load by fiddling with the ctrl key is silly, and will be silly however low you set the bar for equipment weight.

I shoot it in the wherever I can bloody well hit it without its laser psychic machineguns killing me. One or two usually disables it, three if I don't have a good angle.

Four or five is because I usually fight three or so tanks at once so I need lots of rockets. Also I like rockets so having more means you can fire them at ifrits for fun. Also the RPG42 can fire HE rockets which are good for shooting at petrol stations, infantry, or large buildings which may have infantry inside them.

I hate to tell you, but this isn't even remotely realistic. Arma is a milsim, and thus strives for some degree of realism. One infantryman taking on multiple heavy armor without resupply is the stuff of good action movies and fun games like Call of Duty and Battlefield. I'm not damning them with faint praise--they can be a lot of fun--but if you want to play One Man Army then Arma is probably not for you.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Some interesting PhysX talk from the BI forums:

quote:

Yep, as I have said before, we have come to the conclusion that having just the ramps isn't such a performance hit. Still, having fifty Mohawks colliding with each other isn't a good idea for steady FPS rate :twisted:
For some further explanation, the PhysX lod of model must be as simple as possible, adding more parts to produce a hollow mesh causes some rather nasty performance hit I was describing. And yes, it was 17 % FPS down with just the ramp solution, not any other doors working in PhysX
If anyone wants to get to modding in personal weapons firing from vehicles, here's a glimpse and the Arma 3 Tools' included samples now include a FFV-compatible helicopter.

Also, the devs have tried to push out a fix of unrecognized DLC ownership, did it work for any of you?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Chortles posted:

Some interesting PhysX talk from

---
Also, the devs have tried to push out a fix of unrecognized DLC ownership, did it work for any of you?
Yeah the PhysX engine does not like concave shapes from what I've seen in multiple games that use it.

As for the fix, not working for me.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This whole conversation about fatigue and keybinding; I called it last page. CoD/MoH/Rambo syndrome.

Your "load" isn't normal to anyone but you, Owl. Spread it around or don't carry so much. That's how you solve your issue.

If you want to keep playing like you do and actually enjoy the game, it's the only way, as the fatigue changes were made to directly address the one-man-army that pops up on most servers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

How can the fatigue system create a sensible baseline weight limit if you can carry vastly more weight by using the lower weapon stance?

Are you seriously supposed to just pretend like you can't effectively carry that much and take less? Because you can effectively carry that much if you run with your weapon down all the time.

If you want a sensible weight limit, you need to get rid of the ability to almost double your comfortable carrying capacity by halving your fatigue rate at the press of a button.

Whether you set it high or low doesn't matter, the issue is that as long as you have that ability, there is no sensible weight limit. Either you carry light for 'roleplay' reasons or whatever, or you keep hitting the button and carry lots for practicality. If you change the fatigue scale so that you become realistically tired with your weapon down, then you end up with a stupidly clunky control system which is necessary to play the game.

Without uniformity in the fatigue levels of the running stances, the weight system neither enforces a sensible weight limit, nor controls as fluently as it should. What is the point in it if you're still expected to self-enforce your weight limit?

There is zero gameplay reason not to carry heavy with this system in place, the primary limit to your carrying capacity is your patience for hitting the weapon lower button repeatedly. You can't seriously tell me that's a perfectly sensible limiting factor in a system entirely based around the idea of limiting your carry weight through gameplay feedback. If I'm going to play the game I'm going to play it well and currently that involves carrying quite a lot of equipment and pressing control a lot. That shouldn't be the most effective way to play the game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Can you rationalize the extra button press as the effort your soldier would need to keep his load of 5 rockets balanced and not chafing on his shoulders?