Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
If configure->expansions says that then your Arma 3 install is super screwed up, better flatten and reinstall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It has to appear as proper campaign, btw.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
With all the added changes for VRS the flight models seem to have suffered greatly.

Most helicopters already required far too much collective for take off/level flight and now the larger ones are massively 'underpowered.' The Kajman seems to be the worst hit, requiring about 85% of collective pitch just to achieve out of ground effect hover. More issues made worse by the VRS changes arise during auto rotation, due to the general lack of lift generated by the helicopters it's far more difficult than it should be to achieve a safe landing. Approaches require too much forward speed and RPM bleeds too rapidly, even pitch up, with the totally bizarre behaviour that putting yourself into a dive to get enough RPM for a flare is a reasonable maneuver. Vertical auto rotations are also impossible since you enter VRS during un-powered flight.

:suicide:

Rotor RPM seems to be a major issue in general, without a dedicated indicator and its relative importance you largely have to rely on the sound being made. This means you can suddenly be massively over or under RPM with little warning, made worse by the fact rotor RPM doesn't behave in a realistic way. In many situations, most noticeably a dive, RPM decreases when it should increase and increase when it should decrease.

The VRS additions have just exacerbated pre existing problems with the model and I hope they address it fast, or not include it with the DLC but a later patch.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 24, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm a helo casual so this may be a stupid question, but is there a way to adjust rotor RPM directly and independently from collective or is it supposed to be constant as long as the engine is on?

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 24, 2014

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Rotor RPM is meant to stay within a narrow band of operation.
Helicopters do have a 4th control, throttle, but it's not really relevant to the turbine powered helicopters in Arma and since this isn't a sim there will never be things like manual reversion to directly manipulate the throttle.

For Arma, we manipulate RPM with the collective and pitch up/pitch down. Pitch down reduces rotor RPM/pitch up increases, with additional collective manipulation allowing for excess or deficit RPM to be brought back within normal levels.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Slashrat posted:

I'm a helo casual so this may be a stupid question, but is there a way to adjust rotor RPM directly and independently from collective or is it supposed to be constant as long as the engine is on?

Constant as long as the engine is on... but after the rotorlib update comes out it'll probably be different.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
The recent update to the game which brought the new sound effects such as wind and skid scrapes etc. changed how RPM works, at least the sounds, anyway. Now when rotor RPM should be building (no collective, in descent) the sound gets slower and when you pull more pitch it speeds up. It shits me something fierce and makes me think I'm going to blow all of my autorotations because it sounds like rotor RPM is decaying when it's really not. This is with the standard flight model. Hopefully they fix it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

alr posted:

Was pretty happy to see they allowed the two new helos to be able to lift the armed MRAPs, though I wasn't able to lift a littlebird, any idea if that's on the cards for later?
Not sure -- both the Huron and the Taru are capable of airlifting the A-143 Buzzard (both loadouts) or the To-199 Neophron, while the A-164 Wipeout can't, and I suspect that helicopters were also not configured to themselves be underslung; my testing was in the form of placing a Huron or Taru in the Flying state with Elevation 10 (meters), then placing an Empty object/vehicle on the ground underneath underneath with no state (i.e. not In Formation), and then checking the Sling-Load Assistant to see whether the green dot appeared.

alr posted:

Vortex ring state is cool to see, it's weird trying to adjust to flying a helicopter in a simish fashion rather than just abusing Armas physics and throwing them everywhere, especially when VRS doesn't really have any feedback at the moment, you just start descending like a brick. Really hope there's going to be some populated multiplayer PvP servers that run the new flight model as standard.
The new flight model can be enforced at the mission level (via description.ext) or the server level.

Strumpie posted:

The VRS additions have just exacerbated pre existing problems with the model and I hope they address it fast, or not include it with the DLC but a later patch.
BI has stated that the latter is a real possibility.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 24, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Behold... someone else's aircraft carrier, in fourteen parts because it wasn't going to otherwise fit in Arma 3:

And in-game:

And yet another modder's yacht:

quote:

its currently got a moon pool for diving, sides and rear open up giving an enlarged deck area
heli pad on front

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Strumpie posted:

With all the added changes for VRS the flight models seem to have suffered greatly.

Most helicopters already required far too much collective for take off/level flight and now the larger ones are massively 'underpowered.' The Kajman seems to be the worst hit, requiring about 85% of collective pitch just to achieve out of ground effect hover. More issues made worse by the VRS changes arise during auto rotation, due to the general lack of lift generated by the helicopters it's far more difficult than it should be to achieve a safe landing. Approaches require too much forward speed and RPM bleeds too rapidly, even pitch up, with the totally bizarre behaviour that putting yourself into a dive to get enough RPM for a flare is a reasonable maneuver. Vertical auto rotations are also impossible since you enter VRS during un-powered flight.

:suicide:

Rotor RPM seems to be a major issue in general, without a dedicated indicator and its relative importance you largely have to rely on the sound being made. This means you can suddenly be massively over or under RPM with little warning, made worse by the fact rotor RPM doesn't behave in a realistic way. In many situations, most noticeably a dive, RPM decreases when it should increase and increase when it should decrease.

People keep posting poo poo on the feedback thread about how "X helicopter is too easy to fly" etc. Like thats loving good feedback.

The Kajman is beyond whale-like atm, and its ridiculous to get it up and moving just as you said.

IMO it seems forumgoers over there had their dicks so hard for poo poo like VRS that they didnt stop and think about how hosed the basic physics were, and ask themselves if such things were really necessary (or even realistically depictable) ingame.

Somehow, I find DCS easier to fly than ArmA3 atm :P And alot of it is due to the general lack of lift, and how that feeds into the exaggerated difficulty in achieving a landing.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 24, 2014

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Are you referring to the this thread? Because I see plenty of posts from people asking for fixes for the RPM issues, VRS behavior, input delay, etc.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Anybody want to get together sometime and try out this CTF thing I found on the big ArmA contest? http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184738-Capture-The-Flag-2-0-Quake-By-Murcielago

It looks worth trying imo. I have a small Linux server we can try to do it on.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Hey, from the same guy whose DM4+ we tried way-back-when, subscribed. :D

Speaking of new releases, for the jetheads both John_Spartan & Saul's F/A-18X Black Wasp and the "FC-37 Thunder" (renamed F-35C) just released overnight and yesterday, both available on Steam Workshop. Note that apparently the F/A-18X landing gear automatically retract if you try to land it on the Nimitz for some reason.

LCL-Dead, someone else has reported that they fixed this gap, though not this one yet, and "also fixed a gap on the main deck on the starboard side, aft of the con tower. will try to get to it within the week."

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We should see if we can organize a goon squad this evening or the next and play that holdout scenario. It's you and a bunch of friendly AI vs waves of enemies in a location of your choice. I played it last night solo and held out for a while in the stadium. The AI swarm gets insane later on.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Acquire Currency! posted:

We should see if we can organize a goon squad this evening or the next and play that holdout scenario. It's you and a bunch of friendly AI vs waves of enemies in a location of your choice. I played it last night solo and held out for a while in the stadium. The AI swarm gets insane later on.

I'll be around later probably 8pm est and later. Probably can do a bit sunday too.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sunday night be best since I did just bring it up. Although there's nothing saying we gotta do anything so soon.

Played a few hours of breaking point and it's everything DayZ hopes to be but will never ever achieve. 10/10

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I'd be down for some coordinated goon games.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I'm in. Let's play some ArmA tower defense!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's fun as gently caress but whoever hosts the mission needs to know that putting the 4 spawn points around the defended area looks cool on paper but turns into an immense cluster gently caress. There's also nothing stopping anyone from say seeing if they could spawn in a few tanks.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Doing another 40-man mission, messing around with the terribly handled MAXXPro's. http://www.twitch.tv/pezmh/

Edit: Well that was boring as hell.

Age of the Atomic Mom fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 26, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Posting to bump to see if there's some coordination about a Goons vs. AI Swarms game going to happen here in a bit.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Streaming again on the same twitch link above. 70-man mission on Imrali. Hopefully will be more entertaining than the last one.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

Streaming again on the same twitch link above. 70-man mission on Imrali. Hopefully will be more entertaining than the last one.

Not a worry for right now, but while your stream is handling motion just fine, the overall resolution is kind of muddy:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

I enjoyed the show yet again. Thanks for streaming it, man.

--

Also: why hasn't anyone made an Underwater Demolitions mod? All of this diving and wetsuit stuff was added for ArmA 3's release and hyped up a lot... but I don't see any way of planting explosive satchels etc on idle boats or whatever... why does this not exist yet? You'd think every group would have a @udt mod enabled in their modpacks...

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

Not a worry for right now, but while your stream is handling motion just fine, the overall resolution is kind of muddy:

Thanks for letting me know. I changed ISP's last week and had to drop my upload from 10mb to 5mb. It appeared to not have affected things but I'll see about improving the resolution for next time.

Edit: though I partly have my stream quality intentionally at a "low" setting because a lot of friends of mine who watch me play have poo poo internet and can't see the stream otherwise.

We're still playing it but we're having massive issues with Teamspeak. Turns out having roughly 330 people talking at the same time is putting on a strain on the TS server and we're all suffering for it. Losing our comms twice so far this mission has been brutal. The whole mission has slowed to a crawl and we're no where near our objective halfway into our mission.

Age of the Atomic Mom fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 27, 2014

Slugs
Mar 11, 2014

Love Stole the Day posted:

Also: why hasn't anyone made an Underwater Demolitions mod? All of this diving and wetsuit stuff was added for ArmA 3's release and hyped up a lot... but I don't see any way of planting explosive satchels etc on idle boats or whatever... why does this not exist yet? You'd think every group would have a @udt mod enabled in their modpacks...

I had thought there was one, although underwater combat against AI isn't fun because they constantly throw grenades, when you cant throw them in return.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I have the 'Whole lotta Altis' mission which is Dynamic with lots of stuff going on. Although I always stop playing when a random APC [with a cannon] comes along and there's nothing I can do to destroy it.

Any recommendations for some other open-ended stuff? My experience with this game is running around, getting fatigued, blown up by tanks/apcs and playing something else.

edit: also I remember A2 having a visual for highlighting enemies (like a red transparent circle~). I really struggle to see enemy soldiers and this feature was really handy. Or the 'attack this' markers that Squad leaders do for you (but not when you're SL!)

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 27, 2014

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Slugs posted:

I had thought there was one, although underwater combat against AI isn't fun because they constantly throw grenades, when you cant throw them in return.

code:
{
  if (!isPlayer _x) then
  {
    _x removeMagazines "HandGrenade";
    _x removeMagazines "MiniGrenade";
  };
} forEach allUnits;

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 27, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

simosimo posted:

edit: also I remember A2 having a visual for highlighting enemies (like a red transparent circle~). I really struggle to see enemy soldiers and this feature was really handy. Or the 'attack this' markers that Squad leaders do for you (but not when you're SL!)

I only remember this sort of thing for when things where at your peripheral.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I have been playing the Altis wasteland mod and am loving it! However there is a few things I would like to know. How do I use a UAV's laser pointer, can I point at something with the UAV and have someone with an RPG/Titan/Something hit the laser target? Or does it coordinate with jet bombs/missiles?

Also how do I make use of the IR pointer if added to a weapon.

Is there mobile artillery? If yes what is it called?

These are some of the questions off the top of my head.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

M_Bison posted:

I have been playing the Altis wasteland mod and am loving it! However there is a few things I would like to know. How do I use a UAV's laser pointer, can I point at something with the UAV and have someone with an RPG/Titan/Something hit the laser target? Or does it coordinate with jet bombs/missiles?

Laser designation is primarily for aiding guided bombs (from CAS aircrafts) and laser guided shells (from artillary) hit the target. There aren't any infantry weapons in vanilla ArmA 3 to my knowledge that locks on to it.

M_Bison posted:

Also how do I make use of the IR pointer if added to a weapon.

You toggle the IR laser with the same key as you use to toggle weapon flashlights/vehicle headlights. It is only visible to night vision and is primarily used to point out enemies to your squadmates. If the enemy has night vision, it becomes an excellent way to declare yourself a target too.

M_Bison posted:

Is there mobile artillery? If yes what is it called?

NATO has the Scorcher self-propelled artillery and the Sandstorm MRLS. CSAT just has a self-propelled artillery piece, called the Sochor or something in that vein.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
The Titan Compact launcher can lock on to a laser designator. Not sure if the AA Titan can though.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
So a couple of goons and I got together on my Linux server last night and played around on this mission I was working on. I think it seems stable enough to work for a goon night of that Defense mission we were talking about doing. We didn't have any crashes or anything, so it all seems good.

How does this time sound? http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20141029T2330&ah=2

(GMT) Wednesday, 29 October 2014, at 23:30 (11:30PM) (GMT)

I can have the server ready to go.

We can probably just meet up on the CTS Mumble.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 28, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

I'd be down!

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

Hey, from the same guy whose DM4+ we tried way-back-when, subscribed. :D

Speaking of new releases, for the jetheads both John_Spartan & Saul's F/A-18X Black Wasp and the "FC-37 Thunder" (renamed F-35C) just released overnight and yesterday, both available on Steam Workshop. Note that apparently the F/A-18X landing gear automatically retract if you try to land it on the Nimitz for some reason.

LCL-Dead, someone else has reported that they fixed this gap, though not this one yet, and "also fixed a gap on the main deck on the starboard side, aft of the con tower. will try to get to it within the week."

Appreciate the update.

I myself am in a bit of an ARMA slump right now.

After spending about 3 weeks trying to put together a hostage rescue/HVT Kill/Extraction mission and having it bomb miserably with a 47 MB .rpt on our server that I couldn't decipher, I've taken a step back from the game. Haven't played in about 3 weeks now. Of course, it also doesn't help that I bought a PS4 and Destiny.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

Appreciate the update.

I myself am in a bit of an ARMA slump right now.

After spending about 3 weeks trying to put together a hostage rescue/HVT Kill/Extraction mission and having it bomb miserably with a 47 MB .rpt on our server that I couldn't decipher, I've taken a step back from the game. Haven't played in about 3 weeks now. Of course, it also doesn't help that I bought a PS4 and Destiny.

I know exactly how you feel and I empathize completely :negative:

I've spent hours trying to make a decent hostage rescue or spy mission... but I just hit a wall and give up or waste time caught up in some small detail. Either way, it only ends on wasted time, tears, and a full Recycle Bin on my computer.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Love Stole the Day posted:

caught up in some small detail.

yeeeeeeeup.

Or thinking about ways to get around arma 3 strangeness/limitations

I spent some time making the fun bits of a dumb mission i'm making. The meat & potatoes is boring, even for a gimmick mission. Now I got caught up in something else.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think a cool ArmA mission would be taking something like DUWS and scaling it back. Make the player part of a merc group that doesn't capture whole towns but does specialty work. Underwater missions, hostage recovery/taking, assassinations, maybe even some town security missions. I dunno how hard that would be to make.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Acquire Currency! posted:

I think a cool ArmA mission would be taking something like DUWS and scaling it back. Make the player part of a merc group that doesn't capture whole towns but does specialty work. Underwater missions, hostage recovery/taking, assassinations, maybe even some town security missions. I dunno how hard that would be to make.

Like Dynamic Altis Airports, but instead of planes, it's civilians... and with Wasteland-style tasks instead of Invade & Annex style tasks.... I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea that is a pretty cool idea.