Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea that is a pretty cool idea.

You know what? You could actually modify your Murder Simulator mission, butts, to do something just like this.

You can have the BLUFOR who win by hunting down all of the OPFOR... and you have the OPFOR who have more stuff to do than just "kill a certain NPC." They could also be given tasks like "blow up this building" or "steal this ammobox" or whatever.

The OPFOR are given a sequence of tasks, one at a time, chosen randomly from the list of stuff to do so that there's at least a little replay value with this idea. That gives them all a reason to stick together and work together rather than run off to different places like in your mission (or at least based on my experience last time I tested it with you). If the OPFOR complete all tasks, say 5, then they win... but each task takes place in a different town/city.

So BLUFOR wins by killing OPFOR, and OPFOR wins by doing the tasks and not getting killed by the BLUFOR in the process.

Have the mission take place over maybe 5~8 towns/cities (or maybe in different sections/neighborhoods of Kavala+Aggelochori) and place big non-transparent black map markers over the rest of Altis so that when people look at the map, they can only see the AO that you want. It'll block their GPS if they go off map etc, so it gives them a reason to stay in the area you want them to.

And just like in your Murder Simulator mission, the BLUFOR get tipped off to OPFOR presence in a town shortly after they enter the area so that they can have an idea of where they need to go.

I have a long .txt file with mission ideas like this that I come up with...

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy gently caress, Operation: Aegean Spear (a contestant for MANW) is a buggy clusterfuck. Had to force-win 3 missions due to non-firing triggers.

MERCS is, as was posted, pretty drat good in comparison. No bugs yet with it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Love Stole the Day posted:

You know what? You could actually modify your Murder Simulator mission, butts, to do something just like this.

You can have the BLUFOR who win by hunting down all of the OPFOR... and you have the OPFOR who have more stuff to do than just "kill a certain NPC." They could also be given tasks like "blow up this building" or "steal this ammobox" or whatever.

The OPFOR are given a sequence of tasks, one at a time, chosen randomly from the list of stuff to do so that there's at least a little replay value with this idea. That gives them all a reason to stick together and work together rather than run off to different places like in your mission (or at least based on my experience last time I tested it with you). If the OPFOR complete all tasks, say 5, then they win... but each task takes place in a different town/city.

So BLUFOR wins by killing OPFOR, and OPFOR wins by doing the tasks and not getting killed by the BLUFOR in the process.

Have the mission take place over maybe 5~8 towns/cities (or maybe in different sections/neighborhoods of Kavala+Aggelochori) and place big non-transparent black map markers over the rest of Altis so that when people look at the map, they can only see the AO that you want. It'll block their GPS if they go off map etc, so it gives them a reason to stay in the area you want them to.

And just like in your Murder Simulator mission, the BLUFOR get tipped off to OPFOR presence in a town shortly after they enter the area so that they can have an idea of where they need to go.

I have a long .txt file with mission ideas like this that I come up with...

I hate to be the guy that says "this this and that" would be cool but not have the ability to make that idea work. But I think ArmA could really flow well with missions like what I said and this. Though I havent played this murder simulator.

To be more clear I think it's cool to take the ARMA single player or co-op experience and do it outside the DUWS style formula, which is still legitimate good fun of course. Wasteland (even if I don't enjoy it so much) and Breaking Point prove that the game handles guerrilla tactics pretty well and people clearly have a good time doing them.

I think the logical goal for my proposed 'Merc Universal' style mission would be revenue gained from missions. Just let the player go totally nuts with the things he buys and try to become like Outer Heaven or something.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 29, 2014

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
FYI I tested out the defense holdout mission on my linux server and everything seems good, so I think we're on for the get-together tomorrow.

If you're interested, it's at this time: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20141029T2330&ah=2 and just hop into the CTS Mumble's ArmA 3 channel.

I don't really expect anyone but maybe a couple people to come, but if you're bored and want something to do, I'll be there.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 29, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Acquire Currency! posted:

I hate to be the guy that says "this this and that" would be cool but not have the ability to make that idea work.

I don't know much about scripting but thankfully ARMA is cool enough to let you tackle the idea in another way. You may just have to change how one or two things are done.

For instance, I wouldn't know how to script a market system to buy things, so I would just spawn a crate or add items to a base's crate when the mission is completed.

Anyway, if anyone can figure out how to either 1. randomly generate missions or (simpler) 2. Randomly choose a mission that would be cool.

Between all of us it should be really easy to think up dozens of scenarios for (let's say) 10 player squads.

Then, we can separate it and make an adversarial and co-op version.

I've had an idea like this was thinking of doing it straight up co-op and a set mission order- a cut rate CTI/Warfare hybrid. Difference was that I wanted it to be focused on scrounging up gear. Some missions if completed would add gear to everyone's loadset. In OFP terms, its like "A Bridge to Freedom" on an island-wide scale.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Anyway, if anyone can figure out how to either 1. randomly generate missions or (simpler) 2. Randomly choose a mission that would be cool.

:coffeepal:

I'll message you on Steam, Butts.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FYI I tested out the defense holdout mission on my linux server and everything seems good, so I think we're on for the get-together tomorrow.

If you're interested, it's at this time: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...41029T2330&ah=2, and just hop into the CTS Mumble's ArmA 3 channel.

I don't really expect anyone but maybe a couple people to come, but if you're bored and want something to do, I'll be there.

Heads up the link goes to a 404 page

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

IIRC 7:30 pm EST tonight.
CTS mumble

edit:
I was throwing some mission ideas at LSD and he kindly informed me that other missions do some of these things. So I need to play those missions and I need to flesh out my ideas.

small mission/merc idea: Kind of like Patrol Ops 3.1

I'll have to give it a try.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 29, 2014

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Heads up the link goes to a 404 page

Fixed

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Well it's official, Bohemia have decided it's a no-go on VRS for the helicopter DLC.
A very wise decision and will hopefully lead to a much better implementation at a later date. Of course now you'll have to learn this model and then a new updated model which is far from ideal.

It's all in this SitRep for those interested on current plans.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Strumpie posted:

Well it's official, Bohemia have decided it's a no-go on VRS for the helicopter DLC.
A very wise decision and will hopefully lead to a much better implementation at a later date. Of course now you'll have to learn this model and then a new updated model which is far from ideal.

It's all in this SitRep for those interested on current plans.

A good move, agreed. I'm def going to buy this DLC on launch. Is it $15 still?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Just a last minute reminder about the goon op in about 10 minutes from this post. No mods or anything. Just hop into the CTS Mumble's Arma 3 channel. Just finished playing with another group and there's a couple people already in the server here with me.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Just to be clear: The DLC is just three helicopters, one of which is a minor edit of the H-9 series already in the game.

Everyone gets the advanced flight model and firing from vehicles capability for free.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
You might as well just pick up the DLC bundle for $25 at that price point.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
GGs guys -- we spent like 5 hours playing that stuff, right? That holdout mission really is fun as hell, tbh.

Hope Acquire Currency's computer problems got fixed.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My power went out!

You kept that up for 5 hours :stare:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

My power went out!

You kept that up for 5 hours :stare:

I know, right?

We kept going for ~45 minutes after you left iirc, then we admitted defeat and restarted the mission. That next one lasted for ~2 hours until we gave up.

Then we took a ~15 minute break or so while I downloaded a bunch of missions off Armaholic and Steam. Scott showed up in Mumble (aww yeah!) and then we started playing a bunch of small ops, trying to be a little milsim/tryhard and seeing if we were operator enough to beat any of them. (nope :v:). Next thing we knew, someone looked at vthe clock and said "Jesus, look at the time!" Finally, we called it quits because we ran out of missions to play and people were getting too tired.

Good times. We should do it again.

One of the missions showed my server's frames. 48 average fps and it never crashed! :chord:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How was the ai level toward the end in the Holdout mission. poo poo was crazy when I was still in.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

LCL-Dead posted:

Appreciate the update.

I myself am in a bit of an ARMA slump right now.

After spending about 3 weeks trying to put together a hostage rescue/HVT Kill/Extraction mission and having it bomb miserably with a 47 MB .rpt on our server that I couldn't decipher, I've taken a step back from the game. Haven't played in about 3 weeks now. Of course, it also doesn't help that I bought a PS4 and Destiny.
In my case, World of Warcraft...

Strumpie posted:

Not surprising, besides it being added later they couldn't simply adapt it from Take On Helicopters (TKOH) since that didn't have VRS either, it clearly wasn't ready for prime time with all the complaints about it, and since BI never advertised it outside of changelogs/SITREPs they wouldn't have to adjust any of their marketing.

Dandywalken posted:

$16, actually -- but as said the DLC Bundle is way more value-per-dollar than the individual DLCs, although it doesn't cover the upcoming expansion in 2015.

Roshnak posted:

Just to be clear: The DLC is just three helicopters, one of which is a minor edit of the H-9 series already in the game.
There's also the literal "Orca" reskin of the PO-30 Orca. :haw: Though I'm told that its rockets are 'dumbfire' and not guided like the regular Orca's. :(

Also: why hasn't anyone made an Underwater Demolitions mod? All of this diving and wetsuit stuff was added for ArmA 3's release and hyped up a lot... but I don't see any way of planting explosive satchels etc on idle boats or whatever... why does this not exist yet? You'd think every group would have a @udt mod enabled in their modpacks...
Besides all the complainers about the existence of underwater and therefore prioritizing over their preferred ideas, it isn't implemented very deeply either, and no one can find just who the hell is responsible for it in the first place (or they may no longer be with BI) whereas stuff like Zeus was explicitly Karel Moricky's thing, Karts was due to one artist who's claimed to have made them in his free time, the Helicopters emphasis is probably driven by the project lead previously being the TKOH project lead (though conversely that may explain how not prioritized fixed wing is within Bohemia Interactive).

As importantly, the possible underwater gameplay concepts are basically crippled by a bunch of engine limitations that, without scripted workarounds such as a mod or a mission-specific script, result in a lack of much to do underwater with vanilla assets besides SDV 'infiltrations/insertions' and shooting at any divers you might happen to encounter... who by the way will (like yourself) be stationary because divers can't shoot on the move. Heck, look at the fact that Showcase: Underwater is about disarming three naval mines via action menu, hopefully (if not spotted) 'sabotaging' a boat via action menu, and if you succeed at that then shooting a pair of divers who jump in to try to 'repair' it... either way, the rest of the mission plays out above water, where the game's only vanilla underwater weapon is worse than every OPFOR rifle due to having no attachment compatibility and its "dual purpose" underwater mag being nerfed above-water (though the mission at least has you also tote regular 5.56 mm mags).

(By the way, if you're thinking of a 2011 video that had satchel-planting on a ground vehicle... that -- like uniform-swapping -- was scripted, and presumably BI never figured out how to make that an engine-integral feature; the previous project lead admitted before he left that they'd had to give up engine-integral uniform swapping due to MP issues.)

In turn, the seeming lack of community interest in the underwater aspect (as supposed to the above-water aspect) means that there isn't much in the way of modding to prod at BI either, although there's a mod that adds interior lighting and some gameplay tweaks to SDVs, an underwater scooter mod, and a diving realism mod, though the latter included a mention of limpet mines.

By the way, BI just added the Helicopters DLC-accompanying missions (VR Training, MP Scenarios, Showcase, Time Trials), with four of the Time Trials being in the paid DLC, plus a Ground Support module in the Editor "that can be used to make custom variants for the new Support MP mode. Community Wiki documentation is forthcoming." However, the project lead threw in the towel on true Taru pod modularity due to "a limitation of the engine that is too complicated to overcome", but admitted that "we still really like the concept of the Taru as opposed to just having 2 'regular' heavy copters."

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

How was the ai level toward the end in the Holdout mission. poo poo was crazy when I was still in.

Yeah, we fixed that by choosing the spawn locations more carefully.

We set our spawn on a hill at the base of a guard tower and made them spawn in a 90° arc, so it looked like 1 attacking force coming at us. It was a LOT more fun that way imo. They still even tried flanking us. I can only imagine what it'd be like with a good AI mod like VCOM or ASR. We would get destroyed so fast...

Also, thanks for that Chortles.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
The largest problem was the ridiculous accuracy the AI tends to act with. They were iron-sighting perfect shots at 500m while taking M203 fire.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Aside from Whole Lotta Stratis Coop and Patrol Ops, do you all know any good dynamic missions that a guy can host/throw-up for like... 3-4 friends tops to do some poo poo? Preferably those that are as close to vanilla settings mod-wise as possible, so I can try and assure they wont gently caress with stuff like igiLoad scripts, etc. The less friendly AI etc the better (so something like DUWS is out due to a AI build-up)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Aside from Whole Lotta Stratis Coop and Patrol Ops, do you all know any good dynamic missions that a guy can host/throw-up for like... 3-4 friends tops to do some poo poo? Preferably those that are as close to vanilla settings mod-wise as possible, so I can try and assure they wont gently caress with stuff like igiLoad scripts, etc. The less friendly AI etc the better (so something like DUWS is out due to a AI build-up)

Actually we were doing that just the other day (the things I posted about earlier on this page).

There's a Stratis mission called DWS (Dynamic War Sandbox) that was alright, I suppose. Make sure that nobody crashes the Blackfoot at the start of the mission, though... jzilla

The Holdout mission is great and is dynamic (i.e. you can set the place you defend as well as where the AI will spawn and come at you from), as well. I highly recommend this one.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 31, 2014

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Due to the fact that you can "eject" non-essential personel from a gun boat at speed I actually tend to use the underwater infiltration/sabatoge method a lot in my missions. That coupled with some fancy trigger work with the hidden submarine asset, helicopters and the solar platform has led to some pretty fun missions.

My -only- complaint with underwater stuff in ARMA 3 is the lack of visibility. I know you all remember the showcase mission where the divers had a LOS of about 100 meters or so but now it's restricted down to about 10, which makes trying to find something underwater a literal pain in the rear end. So, when I have a helicopter AI scripted to come in and hover 3m off of the water so a dive team can jump in, they're stuck for 3-5 minutes trying to find the drat Sub that's 30m away from them with the SDV's on its back. If BIS would just give us the option to adjust the visibility underwater I'd be much happier.

Chortles; RE: WoW - Destiny/Killzone/Elite: Dangerous & Planetside 2 for me.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

I'm a big fan of Escape Altis and Stratis for small group play with friends. No mods required. The basic idea is that you spawn with no gear at a random location on the map inside a jail cell. There's one guard inside your cell with a rifle and a sidearm who falls over dead within a few seconds of you starting the mission. You have to use his weapons to kill the other guards outside your cell so the rest of your group can gear up. After that, you run around trying to find out where you are and killing or avoiding randomly generated patrols until you find a map off of someone. Once you get a map, it will be marked with randomly located radio towers and supply caches. You go to a supply cache and clear it out to get some heavy weapons. After that, you go to a radio tower (usually defended by armed vehicles and a lot of infantry) and radio a message to HQ requesting extract. The extract location is, once again, randomly located. After reaching the location and surviving for a couple minutes, you get in some boats and win the map. The mission includes a revive script where you can revive dead players by walking up to them and using the action menu. You only lose when every player is dead.

It's never that easy, of course. I probably win the thing less than one out of every ten attempts. Despite the ridiculous difficulty, playing with friends combined with the revive script, the random elements, and a quick restart leads to a lot of fun. I've had situations where one guy crests a hill, gets popped by an APC's cannon before he can react, and the rest of us spend the next 5-10 minutes trying to get everyone up while dodging cannon rounds and the ever growing mass of infantry that zero in on our location. Or a tank just rolls straight through our jail cell and blows us all to hell within 30 seconds of the mission starting. It sounds kind of lovely, but we just laugh it off and rev up another attempt.

There's also an official Bohemia version included with the game, but I don't think it's nearly as much fun. Players simply respawn after 30 seconds of being dead, you start with a full loadout, and neither the starting location or the enemy patrols are randomized.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The Jail-cell escape variant is incredibly fun yeah, especially because it absolutely punishes dragging your feet and trying to take out everything around you before moving on.

I'd love to have an AGM enabled version of it though. Standard revive-scripts just aren't as fun in comparison.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
What about good singleplayer dynamic missions? The whole lot of......... Are a bit much with base building.

Just something nice like the old OFP missions.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Slashrat posted:

The Jail-cell escape variant is incredibly fun yeah, especially because it absolutely punishes dragging your feet and trying to take out everything around you before moving on.

I'd love to have an AGM enabled version of it though. Standard revive-scripts just aren't as fun in comparison.

That's dirt simple to do. Link me the PBO and I'll take care of it. Takes less than a minute.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slashrat posted:

This should work. There was a developer option in the files to set "useRevive" to false. While I haven't tested it out, unless the guy designed the mission in a dumb way (he probably did) it'll work. I also took the liberty of adding 8 more player slots.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Nice, that works, too.

For future reference, Slashrat, all you have to do is open the editor and put down the Medical module (at the very least - at most all of the modules in the AGM category) into the mission and then save it (as a multiplayer scenario). In your thing, though, you also had to find out how to remove the custom revive script -- but usually that's just as simple as removing the execVM or preprocessFile line from the init.sqf, so it's still no big deal.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions! Going to try the jail one in particular tomorrow, so here's hoping for a good time.

On a different note, any modders know how I'd go about adding stabilizers for the AH-99 and Mi-48's gunner positions? Currently, autohover (as a random example, its evident without it as well) will cause a very rapid, slight jerkiness to and from an absolute hover due to wind, etc ingame. So you're actually moving from 0 to -1 kmh, but extremely briefly as the autohover corrects. Problem is, the gunner has to deal with that super fast jerkiness, and their turret is flying up and down due to it, so getting a good sight solution is loving impossible. This makes it frustrating as hell for my Blackfoot's gunner, and I had to hop in the gunner's seat to see exactly how dramatic a problem it is. And yeah, its definitely noticeable :(

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Umm, is there any reason why the pilot would be using auto-hover in the first place? Also, as far as aware, no, there isn't any stabilization that wouldn't involve a mod, and I don't think there is one for something like this.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
There's a targeting pod script that attachTo's a Darter to the airframe for some fixed-wing jets and apparently the HAFM helicopters pack, though I'm told that a mod version was WIP, and unfortunately I'm not sure that it would help appreciably with the AH-99/Mi-48.

Coding dude Martin Gregor posted:

Happy Halloween, everyone, from #Arma3 dev team.

Creative director Jay Crowe posted:

@tilionn @ondrejkuzel Arma 3 Hell DLC Confirmed
Also, the aforementioned Ondřej Kužel released a Wipeout flight model config mod, intended for use with dev branch but apparently usable on stable branch (just without all of the intended effect) which apparently adjusts the flight behavior to approximate an A-10 with fly-by-wire:

QA specialist Ondřej Kužel posted:

Disclaimer: It's not an official addon and it doesn't work properly with AI. Just a test to see can be achieved as for now - with some generally acceptable degree of abstraction.
In this addon the Wipeout should behave a little bit closer to the A10 (scaled for A3) with some sort of FBW (we don't precisely simulate stalling). I've chosen Wipeout because from the planes we currently have it has this closest direct counterpart it can be compared to and people have experience with.
Also, as far as the "targeting pod" concept goes: Unfortunately for some he stated that it isn't planned to "add the same throttle mapping as the one the Advanced flight model does" despite him liking it, but he revealed:

QA specialist Ondřej Kužel posted:

Wrong ;) I know it's drat unintuitive, but you have to map BOTH X Axis + and X Axis - to "Thrust (Analogue)" to have the full extent of one axis.
Like:

(Similarly you can map both halves of one axis to "Brake (Analogue)" to have airbrakes' input stretch over the full axis. The consequence of mapping + and - also defines if the axis is going to be inverted.).

You can also check http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6888

Recently a new programmer started looking into some of the long-lasting controller issues. (you may have noticed that e.g. the painful 16-button limit has already been fixed in the dev branch)
And finally...

LCL-Dead posted:

Due to the fact that you can "eject" non-essential personel from a gun boat at speed I actually tend to use the underwater infiltration/sabatoge method a lot in my missions. That coupled with some fancy trigger work with the hidden submarine asset, helicopters and the solar platform has led to some pretty fun missions.
What're you doing with the submarine exactly? Truthbetold had the submarine been functional I also think that a bunch of the BI forums crowd would have been more subdued about the underwater dimension, but it's almost literally an all-visual model without hit detection/collision (anyone who doesn't believe me can look here) so I'm interested in how you utilized "an all-visual model without hit detection/collision" with mission triggers and the solar platform.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mederlock posted:

Umm, is there any reason why the pilot would be using auto-hover in the first place? Also, as far as aware, no, there isn't any stabilization that wouldn't involve a mod, and I don't think there is one for something like this.

If you're using the blackfoot from high altitude it's quite difficult to maintain a zero speed position because you have no nearby terrain for reference. I can do it fine low to the ground but at altitude I turn the autohover on because the instruments aren't really very readable.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Is the Whole Lotta Altis mission the best of it's kind in terms of whole map war? Now that I'm rolling around in an APC the pesky enemy Ifrits aren't much of a problem. Thing is though it still feels like i'm the only one doing anything? I don't see any friendlies flying/driving around to help out, yet a plane will come and blow my rear end up.

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006

simosimo posted:

Is the Whole Lotta Altis mission the best of it's kind in terms of whole map war? Now that I'm rolling around in an APC the pesky enemy Ifrits aren't much of a problem. Thing is though it still feels like i'm the only one doing anything? I don't see any friendlies flying/driving around to help out, yet a plane will come and blow my rear end up.

Take a look at the 'Alive' framework, this is probably what you're after.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

If you're using the blackfoot from high altitude it's quite difficult to maintain a zero speed position because you have no nearby terrain for reference. I can do it fine low to the ground but at altitude I turn the autohover on because the instruments aren't really very readable.

This.

Also God drat, that use of the Sling-cam function for a TGP would be sweet as gently caress for fixed wind in particular!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So, the Space A-10.

I end up flying it quite a lot but I don't quite understand some of its systems. I can use the Macers, which are just Mavericks, that's easy. I can also use the bombs if I have someone to lase a target, again not too difficult.

However, the rockets, I haven't been able to see the point of. Firstly, what does the AP in the AP shrieker stand for? Antipersonnel, or armor piercing? Second, how do you turn on the CCIP? Is there even one? When I switch to LGBs the HUD appears to draw a line between my crosshair and my forward vector indicator, I'm unsure how this is supposed to be very helpful because I know of no way to use this to help aim the bombs or the rockets.

Half the point of the real A-10 is that it comes with a very good set of electronics to help you aim the bucketloads of ground attack munitions you can carry, but as it stands I struggle to hit reliably with the gun, much less the rockets or the bombs without guidance.

Is there some trick to it? Or is the plane just really badly implemented? As it stands I'm stuck using a gunsight that would be considered top of the line on a world war 2 fighter.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Chompers posted:

Take a look at the 'Alive' framework, this is probably what you're after.

Will look into it, most mods put you as Squad leader which is cool, but I liked the OFP missions when you were just a M16 wielding grunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

simosimo posted:

Will look into it, most mods put you as Squad leader which is cool, but I liked the OFP missions when you were just a M16 wielding grunt.

sadly singleplayer missions with the player under the command of an ai squad leader are rare, since the AI hasn't gotten much better since ofp

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 2, 2014