Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Reminder: It's about six hours and twenty minutes (9 pm US Eastern, 6 pm Pacific) to the official Expansion unveiling as of this post. EDIT: Okay, more like almost eight hours... but we got it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvEGxdmjKro&hd=1

Chortles fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Heh, well crap. :D

Ouch, pretty nice mid-long range setup but I guess it's gone after that bug death. If you care to group feel free to add me, but it'd have to be an in-game group as Legions are broken right now (I think TehInternet was trying to make one). Same goes for any other BP players, really.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Arma is 60% on Steam now. Extended Edition for $30.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

DLC Bundle is 30% off for the next 48ish hours. That makes it $17.49, which isn't the best price but it sure beats the full $25.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Reminder that the above Steam deals apply for just over 22 hours from this post, til 1 pm US Eastern on Friday the 19th.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Also, has anyone figured out how to get Zeus-placed characters to be able to interact/move into Editor-placed vehicles?

EDIT: I just found out about the showGroupIndicator parameter for description.ext that replaces the default minimap:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 19, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Hi all, I'm new to ArmA 3, just picked it up on the sale. I'm probably just really bad and need to learn to play but I'm on the first campaign mission (not prologue) and the weapon sway is so bad that it's pretty much impossible for me to hit the duders that are shooting at me, and if I get hit even once then it becomes completely impossible to fight back. Is this normal and I'm just bad or is there something wonky going on? I tried looking for a way to change it but couldn't seem to find anything. :(

fake edit: this is ~while~ crouching and holding RMB to allegedly steady my aim.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Try resting your weapon on surfaces as well, just be near some chest high walls or boxes and you should see a confusing boxy icon on your mansilhouette top right. Also since RMB is both zooming in and holding breath you might run out of breath just looking around, I suggest rebinding one of them.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TehKeen posted:

Hi all, I'm new to ArmA 3, just picked it up on the sale. I'm probably just really bad and need to learn to play but I'm on the first campaign mission (not prologue) and the weapon sway is so bad that it's pretty much impossible for me to hit the duders that are shooting at me, and if I get hit even once then it becomes completely impossible to fight back. Is this normal and I'm just bad or is there something wonky going on? I tried looking for a way to change it but couldn't seem to find anything. :(

fake edit: this is ~while~ crouching and holding RMB to allegedly steady my aim.

Try joining in with the ArmA goons over in here TehKeen. They'll teach you good. And it'll be nice to have another TFR goon in over there. I'll probably actually be playing for the first time in weeks, so I'm more than willing to team up and be slaughtered horribly alongside another new-ish person

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

MohawkSatan posted:

Try joining in with the ArmA goons over in here TehKeen. They'll teach you good. And it'll be nice to have another TFR goon in over there. I'll probably actually be playing for the first time in weeks, so I'm more than willing to team up and be slaughtered horribly alongside another new-ish person

I'll look into it, but :stare: that looks like a ton of mods and configurating.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TehKeen posted:

I'll look into it, but :stare: that looks like a ton of mods and configurating.

It's pretty intimidating on first glance, but for the most part you can use Play with Six to grab the mod repository and keep it up to date. For configuring poo poo, literally all I've had to do is set up teamspeak(which only takes like 15-20 minutes tops), and rebind my push to talk keys for ArmA and teamspeak. For the most part, it's just a whole bunch of stuff that lets us do a lot of different mission types. It honestly takes longer for PwS to get everything than it does to set up.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Alright, I've got pw6 and i'm trying to figure out how to make it download the mods. Be on the lookout for my frantic posting in the other thread. :)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there a way of updating it with Arma3Sync?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

TehKeen posted:

The answer to your question though without telling you to join a group is that you have a stamina reserve. It depletes at different rates depending on how much you're carrying, how fast you're moving, and what stance you are in. So sprinting while crouched and decked out will make it run out much faster. Part of this is managing how much you carry, another part is how you move around. So yeah this is normal behaviour if you're not managing your stamina.

I believe there's some stuff in bootcamp tutorials about fatigue if you want to know more.

You might find this mod that adds a stamina bar useful to help get used to it if you so desire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWrRk_EfZbY

Stamina is the primary source of weapon sway but injuries will quickly make it hard to hold the gun steady, so try not to get hit and heal up.

Finally, you can only stabalise with RMB to hold your breathe for a limited time. After about 20ish? seconds, you will run out of breathe and the swaying will get much worse. Continuing to hold your breath will continue to do so.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

TehKeen posted:

Yeah it's hard to aim and shoot. The best position to shoot is prone, rested and holding breath, with support, and optics preferably. Being shot at also shakes your aim so suppressive fire has a good effect on people so if you have a mg and there are people shooting at you it can be helpful to just burst in their general area while your buddies take more accurate shots.

The ministances are useful. Control+w,s,a,d can let you get some positions you couldn't get otherwise. There's a sitting stance that's just above prone which lets you shoot over grass that blocks your view and is almost as good as prone. These stances let you get those supported stances.

Supported stances can be activated by pressing C. This works when the tiny icon in the upper right shows a bipod or bipod/box icon. It works better with a bipod of course by you can definitely use rifles without bipods. You can use a friend's shoulder as support as well. Be aware that this can restrict your aiming angle.

Optics are simple, it'll let you be able to see what you're shooting better and make somewhat faster second shots if needed.

Stamina is annoying. Make sure you aren't carrying that much. Dump extra ammo (you'll get a feel for this as you go along... 4 mags are not enough) and other non essential gear (I only carry 1-2 smoke grenades or 1 satchel etc.). Also sprint only if you need it. Jog for the rest or walk (W+S at the same time toggles iirc) if you need rest. Double tapping left control will lower your gun which I think makes your stamina drain less. Also pressing c while walking around will switch from tactical or jogging. Tactical stance you'll jog with your gun up which is useful for clearing buildings but I think it also drains more stamina.

I kind of want to join you tactical goon guys... :( I'll try but can't say I'll be able to keep up.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 20, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been hankering for some team play, missing being in a tactical squad.

Downloading required mods as we speak

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh, I got Arma 3 on steam sale and I've been loving around in the editor and... is the AI a lot jankier than it used to be, or is it just me?

Like, I remember in Arma Gold and Arma 2 it was pretty simple to set up a convoy, but when I tried to make two trucks and two technicals go in a line down a road in 3's editor, one of the trucks sped ahead of the other and one of the technicals decided to drive into a wall instead of following the waypoints.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Nah, Arma AI has always been completely terrible at driving anywhere. 3 is, incredibly, actually a lot better than 2 because they fixed the way cars detect things they can drive into: even arma 2 used a flashpoint era way of just doing a simple straight ray trace from the middle of the front of the car IIRC, which went over a bunch of low obstacles in the later games and resulted in the car just driving into low walls and poo poo because it didn't think it would hit them.

You probably had the vehicles in an order that didn't match the group's order so they tried to shuffle around each other and went nuts because arma AI should not be let near any vehicles without supervision. Also if they're in combat or aware mode they try to drive offroad, which usually results in destroyed wheels and mission designers ripping their own hair off.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Just 22 hours left to purchase Arma 3 - Extended Edition at 60% discount (US$29.99), or if you got the base game already purchase the DLC Bundle at 30% discount for US$17.49!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to just port over all the Arma 2 vehicles and weapons into Arma 3 and have it all function? Really digging the controls and what not of Arma 3 but I prefer the contemporary look and feel of 2.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

DarthJeebus posted:

Is there a way to just port over all the Arma 2 vehicles and weapons into Arma 3 and have it all function? Really digging the controls and what not of Arma 3 but I prefer the contemporary look and feel of 2.
Historically All in Arma (both "merge" and "standalone" versions) did that, but ever since kju "retired" from Arma modding the Community Upgrade Project's become looked to as the successor, albeit with releases differentiated by category, i.e. CUP Vehicles would be manned by CUP Infantry carrying CUP Weapons; here's a Dslyecxi highlight of that last one, which is also to-date the only one made public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AFebIotSOE&hd=1
You can find an official classnames list for both weapons and attachments here.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
A good compromise which works right now and is of high quality is to run AiA terrain pack and RHS: Escalation, which comprises of the US Armed Forces and Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.

Then you can even get more into it with the HLC weapons pack which brings in tons of variants of modern weapons such as AKs, AR15s, SAWs, etc.

With these three mods you'll be experiencing the cold war/up to early 2000s era of red on blue warfare in high quality and inside of A3's robust gameplay.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Chortles posted:

Historically All in Arma (both "merge" and "standalone" versions) did that, but ever since kju "retired" from Arma modding the Community Upgrade Project's become looked to as the successor, albeit with releases differentiated by category, i.e. CUP Vehicles would be manned by CUP Infantry carrying CUP Weapons; here's a Dslyecxi highlight of that last one, which is also to-date the only one made public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AFebIotSOE&hd=1
You can find an official classnames list for both weapons and attachments here.

Looks promising, I was just hoping for something that would let me plunk Arma 2 units down in the editor without having to think too hard about it.

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

A good compromise which works right now and is of high quality is to run AiA terrain pack and RHS: Escalation, which comprises of the US Armed Forces and Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.

Looks good enough for now, thanks!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

DarthJeebus posted:

Looks promising, I was just hoping for something that would let me plunk Arma 2 units down in the editor without having to think too hard about it.
All in Arma was as close as it got, but kju's retirement meant that neither was going to be maintained -- though thankfully the Terrain Pack has held up for a time despite that, CUP Terrains is the official successor -- and I believe he stated somewhere that it was just supposed to be an interim solution before official backwards compatibility (Bohemia changed course) and then before CUP. It was because of your specific wording that I nominated CUP over RHS.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 23, 2015

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

The issue with CUP is that it is little more then a A2 quality weapon pack, while RHS adds a poo poo-ton of contemporary vehicles, weapons, uniforms, and equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lmI_5iwE-A

AirborneNinja fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 23, 2015

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

AirborneNinja posted:

The issue with CUP is that it is little more then a A2 quality weapon pack, while RHS adds a poo poo-ton of contemporary vehicles, weapons, uniforms, and equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lmI_5iwE-A
As mentioned right above your post that's by design as an eventual open-source project since CUP comes from the official models -- that is, with permission for anyone to fork -- and there previously was mention of accepting donations of higher-quality models but I can't recall the last time that that was the case. At least CUP Terrains should hopefully be releasing soon.

SITREP #00111's highlights:
  1. The Tanoa terrain is indeed behind the Expansion DLC paywall, "Any vehicles, weapons and other content is treated similarly to the try-before-you-buy approach in Helicopters / Marksmen DLC", and any features developed alongside said paid content will be free for all players, such as "work-in-progress water reflections, improved shoreline effects and enhanced overall lighting configuration. These technologies and features will arrive to everyone, and to the existing Arma 3 terrains." Oh, and anyone who bought the Supporter Edition is getting the Expansion for free.
  2. Bohemia chalks up the leak to "a glitch in account management on the company website, which gave access to our pre-published blog with screenshots."
  3. Tanoa is considered to be "geotypical Fiji", but is actually based on "a mix of various satellite heightmaps, so not geospecific."
  4. The content "focus remains military" in the expansion, despite the new prop plane and jetski ("waterscooter"), but a bunch of objects in the distance in the trailers/screenshots "are early placeholders", just like Bohemia's claimed that the V-22 and F-35 screenshots for Arma 3 way back when were.
  5. The on dev branch according to Karel Moricky of Zeus fame to be "for reading function parameters and making sure they are in the correct format. If it's not the case, the user is warned and a safe default value is used instead. This functionality was until now provided by scripted function , but a dedicated engine command makes it significantly faster."
  6. On dev branch there's new param and params scripting commands, which Senior Designer Karel Mořický of Zeus fame explains in the full SITREP as being meant to supersede BIS_fnc_param, and Encoding Lead Petr "pettka" Kolář's tweaked of non-optic FOVs with intent "to make Field of View consistent for all weapons and vehicle positions without optics. This should not only provide players with a consistent experience of default zoom and focused view, but it should also address issues regarding the inconsistent display of optics magnification descriptions."
  7. Finally, Senior Designer Josef "Jezuro" Zemánek released his own CTI/SC scenario with co-op/SP/TvT support, available on Steam Workshop
Also, Project Lead Joris-Jan "DnA" van 't Land mentioned on Reddit that "Yes, we're investigating what DX12 can do for Arma 3. Until we have a version up and running, there's not much we can confirm (meaning we don't yet). Realistically, expect us to use it at a basic level, with an aim to try to get performance gains where we can, but not to implement its more advanced features. It's also possible we'd release it ahead of the expansion itself as part of an update. When we have more to share, we certainly will."

Chortles fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 23, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Chortles posted:

The content "focus remains military" in the expansion, despite the new prop plane and jetski ("waterscooter"), but a bunch of objects in the distance in the trailers/screenshots "are early placeholders", just like Bohemia's claimed that the V-22 and F-35 screenshots for Arma 3 way back when were.

The one goddamn time the MV-22 would fit right in without any issues they don't bother adding it. :sigh:

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I do miss the MV-22 from A2. Any good mods add it?

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Theres a standalone port and a fuckoff huge pack that have Ospreys in them on armaholic.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23847

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25512

The USAF pack is buggy with some planes and not the greatest quality. No idea on the port.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
From today's dev branch changelog:

quote:

• Added: Steam Leaderboard functionality (the script commands cannot be used without hard-coded permissions. So official content only for now, starting with Time Trials soon - more info later)

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I never actually played the single player campaign in Arma 3 so I'm giving it a shot. Its not terrible aside from Cpt. Miller's dead unblinking eyes. He's seen poo poo even the most shell shocked WWI veteran hasn't seen.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Any recommendations for two player co-op or even two player adversarial games that I can download? Lanning with a buddy and we're both pretty patient when it comes to games so something slow burn will be okay.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Some for-now-small but hopefully useful AI tweaks in dev branch can be found here.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sauer posted:

I never actually played the single player campaign in Arma 3 so I'm giving it a shot. Its not terrible aside from Cpt. Miller's dead unblinking eyes. He's seen poo poo even the most shell shocked WWI veteran hasn't seen.

It really is decent, up until part 3. It really shits the bed there I feel :(

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Oh my, have yourself "bone stock A2 water sources in CUP Terrains on the experimental branch"...

EDIT: Also, CUP Terrains is keeping the structure of the AiA TP for backwards compatibility purposes:

CiforDayZServer posted:

This mod will work EXACTLY the same as AiA, and it will maintain backward compatibility for mission makers, IE, no one will have to change ANYTHING they've done with AiA in mind.

This ensures that ANYONE who's ever worked on a terrain since A2 released, can "plug and play" their terrain in A3 with no changes on their end.

For SMD Sahrani, I'm not 100 percent sure yet. I played a little with trying to bring the original data up to snuff, and it did not work out well. I'll most likely use SMD Sahrani as the default version.

Rekkless posted:

Excellent news, So if I am correct if I didn't want to use any of the maps within Cup Terrain (We will be using all your map, but lets just say we don't) I would only need to download CupTerrains_Core main mod file and all the other maps would still work?
That's right, Right now just for testing I have it setup as follows:

@CUP_Terrains - Natural and Artificial Objects (buildings, misc, signs, plants, structures)
@CUP_Terrains_AiA - Compatibility Addons (data, languages, missions, sounds, ui, unit/weapon/vehicle "dummy" pbo's)
@CUP_Afghan
@CUP_Bohemia
@CUP_Chernarus
etc etc etc

So... If you have an A2 community terrain like Namalsk, or Thirsk or Celle, you ONLY need @CUP_Terrains and @CUP_Terrains_AiA (*this is not a final naming convention)

Right now, ThreeDots has already done all the work to all the roads, rocks, plants AND signs, so they are FULLY independent of the @CUP_Terrains_AiA portion of the package. Moving forward that will be the case for ALL the objects/buildings.

So, eventually, if you have a terrain that has done all of it's A3 compatibility work, then all you will need is @CUP_Terrains.

The great part about the whole thing, is that anyone right now, can just start working on a terrain with the existing A2 library, and just work away, and it will plug/play with our mod in A3, saving terrain artists a TON of work.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 1, 2015

joozy
Jan 15, 2004
anything i can do to get more fps out of this game?

i7 2600k @ 4.9ghz
16gb ram
2 gtx970s

20-50fps

everything on low / off

rendering distances sliders all the way down

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Installing to an SSD maybe. Other than that, no.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Get a new CPU. But honestly that i7 should be fine. Get an i5 4690k to replace it. Maybe an i7 that old has poo poo cores. Arma cares more about the CPU than ram or gpu.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

joozy posted:

anything i can do to get more fps out of this game?

i7 2600k @ 4.9ghz
16gb ram
2 gtx970s

20-50fps

everything on low / off

rendering distances sliders all the way down

Where did you record those FPS'? I just built a new PC with an i7 4790k and a single GTX 970 and I get a solid 60FPS in showcase scenarios on ultra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not aware of older 2xxx's being worse than the 3xxx's and 4xxx's (I'm on a 3570K) for this game as a hard and fast rule, especially with the clock as high as it is... but as unintuitive as it sounds, try turning the graphics up (except for postprocessing, picture-in-picture, and anti-aliasing) and seeing what happens.

Oh, and while there's no further screenshots here, have an interview with a pair of Bohemia Interactive's Environment Designers.