Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Like everyone else said, turn up the graphics settings because they're more than likely being offloaded to the CPU which is already overwhelmed with the simulation and scripting aspects of the game.

Your CPU should be fine, but there may be some new technology in the newer generations which help in arma but I wouldn't count on it being more than 10+fps.

Also just FYI FPS will vary a lot depending on what scenario you are playing, heavy and clumsy scripting will give poo poo FPS, MP modes with 100 dudes in kavala will give poo poo FPS, OTOH showcases are super light and you will always be pegged at 60 in there with that config.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Also just FYI FPS will vary a lot depending on what scenario you are playing, heavy and clumsy scripting will give poo poo FPS, MP modes with 100 dudes in kavala will give poo poo FPS, OTOH showcases are super light and you will always be pegged at 60 in there with that config.
This is quite important, as part of the reason for Wasteland by Sa-Matra becoming high-profile among Wasteland iterations early on was due to its reputation for performance (though if I recall correctly Sa-Matra's limiting it to select servers was probably a factor as well). Indeed, this played no small role in some of the controversy surrounding JSRS3 and DragonFyre -- namely, their reputed negative effects on server performance -- to the point that LordJarhead eventually released "scriptless" versions thereof that exchanged scripted features ("no inroom echo effect, no cartridges falling to the ground, no distance effects, no building reflections, no forest environment reflections, no distance explosions, no near shrapnel explosion sounds, no inroom explosion sounds, no vehicle reloading effects") for file size and MP performance.

Heck, apparently at one point the leadership at United Operations refused to use Mando Missile Arma (MMA) back in Arma 2 because it just didn't hold up at 30+ player counts.

joozy
Jan 15, 2004

Praseodymi posted:

Where did you record those FPS'? I just built a new PC with an i7 4790k and a single GTX 970 and I get a solid 60FPS in showcase scenarios on ultra.

steam in game fps. its on a ssd

maybe ill try and turn the gfx up to dump it to you the cpu. its like reverse planetside tactics here haha.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i use game booster to shut down all the crapola in the background, and trixx to give my 7970 an erection while i play

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

joozy posted:

steam in game fps. its on a ssd

maybe ill try and turn the gfx up to dump it to you the cpu. its like reverse planetside tactics here haha.

When they asked you where did you record the fps, the question was what were you playing. The campaign? a user-made sp mission? Multiplayer? If multiplayer, what mission? Etc

That's the main factor. With that cpu and the view distance lowered, you should have good fps. If not, it surely is the mission itself.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
So what do people play these days? I hopped on a KOTH server since that seems to be the most popular game mode. They give me a lovely rifle with iron sights, and after the world's scariest chopper ride, I'm picked off by someone with a machine gun with sniper sights 30 seconds after landing. Welp..

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

INTJ Mastermind posted:

So what do people play these days? I hopped on a KOTH server since that seems to be the most popular game mode. They give me a lovely rifle with iron sights, and after the world's scariest chopper ride, I'm picked off by someone with a machine gun with sniper sights 30 seconds after landing. Welp..

thearma3experience.txt

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Get good, scrub

Multiple groups on SA play different types of modded a3 experience. AGM Goons play mostly coops with a heavy modset. Epoch goons play organized pvp. I think there's also a battle royale group and possible wasteland/breaking point?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My brother plays Breaking Point, i play Co-op's.

loving hate PvP

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Epoch is basically dead. There a small KOTH crowd and some Breaking Point goons.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Battle royale is still fun.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Wasteland is still a fun thing on altis, that or the RHS:wasteland or TacBF

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I haven't played breaking point for a while. I start the launcher, I click update and it downloads a small file. Then I verify the files. Quite a few are listed as not valid. It then just stops at 100% and doesn't download any thing? What should I do?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
delete it and download it again, mine hosed out numerous times.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Someone on Facepunch posted:

Vehicles on Dev can no longer be killed by small arms and need shells or explosives to actually explode now

Much like it said in the sitrep, thank gently caress I can use a car for cover now

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm having really poo poo performance on the King of the Hill multiplayer servers. My fps is locked around 25 no matter what video settings I use. I don't get this on other servers. Is it me or them?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SERPUS posted:

I'm having really poo poo performance on the King of the Hill multiplayer servers. My fps is locked around 25 no matter what video settings I use. I don't get this on other servers. Is it me or them?

Its them. It's mostly the number of scripts they run which are horribly optimized.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
The other problem with KOTH is the number of players, tightly packed into an urban zone, with destroyed buildings. This will kill FPS regardless of scripts.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

The other problem with KOTH is the number of players, tightly packed into an urban zone, with destroyed buildings. This will kill FPS regardless of scripts.
The choice of where to set the battles doesn't help (just like with vanilla End Game being in Kavala -- although Bohemia officially supported and documented how-tos for community-made versions set elsewhere) and somewhere along the way the project lead may or may not have given upon the idea of 100+ player counts... but the way the engine handles building destruction effectively doubles the amount of buildings that said engine is handling.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Chortles posted:

The choice of where to set the battles doesn't help (just like with vanilla End Game being in Kavala -- although Bohemia officially supported and documented how-tos for community-made versions set elsewhere) and somewhere along the way the project lead may or may not have given upon the idea of 100+ player counts... but the way the engine handles building destruction effectively doubles the amount of buildings that said engine is handling.

What's wrong with End Game being in Kavala? I think it is a pretty good place where you get some field fighting and city fighting. Plus, it isn't bogged down by terrible scripts and the only vehicles are unarmed transports. Good luck destroying a bunch of buildings in End Game.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Disabled all my addons and tried making an armored column road march and it worked a lot better than it did with RHS and ACE and a bunch of other things going, but the drat things still ended up going off road for no reason, driving for a few hundred meters, then turning around to get back on the road. Still better than the "inch forward a little and launch into space" that I was having issues with before. They still stop for no reason and get confused all the time. Now if only they would stop rolling over when brushing a rock. Really going to give up on making a Thunder Run style mission for single player and only make it coop only because the vehicle AI is just to frustrating to deal with.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Nalin posted:

What's wrong with End Game being in Kavala? I think it is a pretty good place where you get some field fighting and city fighting. Plus, it isn't bogged down by terrible scripts and the only vehicles are unarmed transports. Good luck destroying a bunch of buildings in End Game.
I'm thinking more about the extent to which Kavala's (relative) denseness affects performance or not for any scenario where it's the "arena", however well-arranged for gameplay it is.

Sauer, you're hardly the first to remark re: AI vehicles unfortunately. I'm not sure if I'd call the devs' prioritization of AI improvement infantry-centric (I don't believe it infantry-focused) but I'm not exactly seeing a focus on resolving AI vehicular behavior, more like "fixes wherever we can achieve a breakthrough on any given day".

Oh, and IT is finally here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEVRyd7gqwk

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Best use of Arma engine to date

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

:stare:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Ahahahaha holy gently caress. Go watch this right now.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Slashrat posted:

Best use of Arma engine to date

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Ahahahaha holy gently caress. Go watch this right now.
He also previously uploaded CSAT vs. NATO, which starts just over a minute into this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2HsH6zfMqo&hd=1

They both come from IndeedPete's A2C: Arma 2 Cutscene Animations in Arma 3; all of the non-Steam Workshop downloads so far (Arma3.de, Armaholic, Dropbox, and PlayWithSIX) include the sources -- two-hundred fifty-nine RTM animation files, a perfunctory config file, and an header file called by the config via #include that has most of the actual config -- so that people can just add specific animations to their campaigns. ("Probably also works for single missions using CfgMissions but I did this with larger campaigns in mind. I myself have an exact copy of the published library here included in a WIP campaign project meaning players won't need this extra addon as it's already part of the campaign itself. Purely a matter of choice.")

IndeedPete posted:

Ha, you're free to join this open source project. Just take the sources and extend them with more animations. I'm certain I've missed a few cool ones. Just don't forget to publish your build so we can keep this thread updated. Since I've ported so many already I should start sorting them properly at some point. At the moment, it's just a huge folder with animations and a config slapped onto it. In my opinion, the scope of this project should cover cutscene animations and those who can be used in cutscenes only but that's just me. The normal walking, shooting, stance etc. animations are probably inferior compared to the great ones that came with Arma 3.

Yes, there's Operation Arrowhead (which had boring cutscenes if any AFAIK), British Armed Forces (I don't really remember the campaign), Private Military Company (the best DLC so far, though I'm not sure if they used any interesting anims) and Armed Forces of the Czech Republic (I think, never really played that one).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Just under two days left to grab Bohemia's Humble Weekly Bundle, where exceeding the current average of $4.80 gets you OA (the only right way to still play Arma 2), all three Arma 2 DLCs, and the turn-based tactics game Arma Tactics, while the pay-what-you-want is ArmA: Gold Edition, vanilla Arma 2, Take On Helicopters with its Hinds DLC, and some more obscure titles that Bohemia published.

SITREP #00114 TL;DR: Today's also basically the last chance to test out the v1.48 Release Candidate (Steam 'beta' key is Arma3Update148RC) before v1.48 hits stable on Wednesday, both fatigue and personal protection will be tweaked afterward, and in v1.50 the devs plan to by-default disable "the ability for the engine to load local scripts and other files to override versions in packed addons", as multiplayer exploits (in addition to developers and modders who try to quickly iterate ) use that 'file patching' capability, so in the future by default the game will only load data from PBO and EBO files. The current plan:

quote:

• Change the default for the whole game from file patching to no file patching (Dev-Branch will probably stay as it is now).
  • Add command-line parameter -filePatching to manually enable the former state (-noFilePatching already exists now).
  • Introduce server control to disallow file patching on clients.
  • Add scripting command filePatching to detect the actual state.
Oh, and in conjunction with BattlEye they're planning "to allow for the possibility to update the anti-cheat files on Arma 3's main branch more frequently" with small (few megabytes) updates separate from game updates so that issues can be more rapidly isolated or even reverted.

Oh yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTzMrdqHcNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8vG2UK96ms&hd=1

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Chortles posted:

Just under two days left to grab Bohemia's Humble Weekly Bundle, where exceeding the current average of $4.80 gets you OA (the only right way to still play Arma 2), all three Arma 2 DLCs, and the turn-based tactics game Arma Tactics, while the pay-what-you-want is ArmA: Gold Edition, vanilla Arma 2, Take On Helicopters with its Hinds DLC, and some more obscure titles that Bohemia published.

Purchased in case I ever want to play DayZ (gently caress the standalone) or run out of stuff to do on Arma 3. Great deal.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Purchased in case I ever want to play DayZ (gently caress the standalone) or run out of stuff to do on Arma 3. Great deal.
:lol:

By the way, for anyone who's managed to read this thread without buying Arma 3, in addition to the above, $20+ unlocks Take On Mars (early access) and Carrier Command: Gaea Mission as well, and $100+ unlocks every Bohemia title on Steam including Arma 3 and all three DLCs; just be aware that that $100+ tier is a single key unlike the other title tiers, and that the upcoming Arma 3 Expansion is not listed.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

In theory!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

This is still the best one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7YDwq0apPc

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I haven't played Arma online since Arma 2. But I've got a hankering for some co-op. What's the deal with servers and mods now? Will I not be able to join if mods are active? Is there something I need to be doing with those key files included with some mods? Are there any recommended mods like the stamina bar which work on all servers, or does it depend on the server config?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Key files are only relevant on servers that try to enforce mod integrity (to prevent clients from joining if their mod-set don't exactly match what the server uses). I think the servers can also be set to allow some mods that are client-side only and thus optional.

Some servers run with it, others don't. It's usually still a good idea to get the mods a server uses, or poo poo might get weird or stop working.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Damnit. Steam auto-updated and now all my mods are throwing up errors and I lost my Pilgrimage save. Why is there not a 'do not automatically update' option.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Damnit. Steam auto-updated and now all my mods are throwing up errors and I lost my Pilgrimage save. Why is there not a 'do not automatically update' option.
If I recall correctly, Valve threw that out.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Going to throw this out to see if I can get an aswer:

I'm building a mission for use on a team server and am wondering about global -v- local variables in the init lines on units and activation lines on triggers.

Basically it's a helicopter insertion with an AI pilot and I'm using triggers to spawn and delete red/green chemlights as a sort of warning and ready light system within the helicopter.

I'm also using moveInCargo in the init lines of units in order to have the groups separated for waypoint and task work and am wondering if the server or players will have issues seeing or acting on these commands once the mission is moved from a localhost environment to a server.

The mission is pretty basic.

Players spawn in a huron in route to a drop off point off the coast of stratis.
Red/green lights indicate times when players should "eject" from the helicopter into the water for a helocast type movement to the boats.
Boats, once indicated players are aboard, move to their waypoints and again utilize a red/green light system to indicate when players should "eject" from the boats as they move along their path.

The rest of the trigger work is basic "if blufor detected" stuff for alarms and flares.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
It's been a long while since I actually had time to do anything Arma-related, but for the global/local variable thing, read this if you haven't already. The distinction between local, global, and public variables is pretty important to know for multiplayer scripting. Make sure you're certain which machines execute any line of code you write in the editor and in script files, and when they do that.

Editor init stuff runs on map init for all clients and the server, which means a player joining mid-mission will execute all of the editor init lines (even if you don't have JIP and they don't actually get a slot and just load the map to spectate). I've never had it actually move a player unit into a vehicle, but if you absolutely need to have something in init-fields, I think it's best to wrap it in an if(isServer) { ... }; to make sure repeat execution won't cause problems like init-field set equipment resetting and so on.

Editor placed triggers are also global so anything you put in an onAct will execute for each machine in the network on activation, which is why you should also use a check to run it only on the server if you want to run anything that has a global effect from there (like spawning a unit or an explosive for making a boom happen).

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Does anyone know of a good wasteland server that has tanks and stuff just lying around like the old arma 2 wasteland servers? It seems like all the major ones for arma 3 have nothing bigger than a techie that you can find in towns

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sniper Party posted:

It's been a long while since I actually had time to do anything Arma-related, but for the global/local variable thing, read this if you haven't already. The distinction between local, global, and public variables is pretty important to know for multiplayer scripting. Make sure you're certain which machines execute any line of code you write in the editor and in script files, and when they do that.

Editor init stuff runs on map init for all clients and the server, which means a player joining mid-mission will execute all of the editor init lines (even if you don't have JIP and they don't actually get a slot and just load the map to spectate). I've never had it actually move a player unit into a vehicle, but if you absolutely need to have something in init-fields, I think it's best to wrap it in an if(isServer) { ... }; to make sure repeat execution won't cause problems like init-field set equipment resetting and so on.

Editor placed triggers are also global so anything you put in an onAct will execute for each machine in the network on activation, which is why you should also use a check to run it only on the server if you want to run anything that has a global effect from there (like spawning a unit or an explosive for making a boom happen).

Opening that link up now but I have some quick follow-ups.

I remember the issue with init's loving with everyone on a JiP with a map that was set up with all units spawning in specific uniforms/etc, resetting everyone to naked if we didn't lock the server prior to launching the mission.

The init commands used here are the simple moveincargo for the initial player spawns so I would assume that anyone who's a JiP will just spawn out in the middle of the ocean where the initial player icons are set in the editor, since once the boats and helicopters complete their initial waypoint run they'll be deleted via trigger. Is that a safe assumption to make? I'm having everyone use arsenal in the boats to update their gear in route to the final drop off point at the island to avoid having to set up scripts and calls due to my knowledge in scripting being somewhat lacking.

How does the if(isServer) stuff work? Will it only allow the execution of the init a single time and restrict it to that client? (sorry, I'm an editor newbie)

(I've now skimmed over the variables link)

I don't really write scripts, as mentioned above, because I don't really know how aside from copypasta'ing other people's work for private use if needed.

I'm just worried about everything working properly, of course. So that when X group hits Y trigger it spawns a task solely for that group (Already linked up and synchronized via triggers and links in the editor) and doesn't affect group A that's about to hit trigger B to create their own tasks.

Aside from that all trigger work is what I mentioned above with the only complex action lines relating to dead NPCs or AI move waypoints governing player characters aboard a vehicle.

Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well. I just want to know how badly the server is going to blow apart my mission if I don't explicitly build the init's and activations for if(isServer) and just leave them as !(alive bob); or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
The moveInCargo thing depends on how exactly the specific command works and I don't remember that off the top of my head, but there is a possibility that when a player joins the mission in progress, his machine will execute all init-fields and will thus move every single unit with an init-field moveInCargo back into the vehicle. I suspect it won't actually happen since the unit being moved is a player unit local to a different machine than the one doing the moveInCargo, but it might.

Enclosing any scripts in editor script fields inside an if(isServer)-block will make sure that only the server runs the code inside. If an editor-placed trigger activates, everyone running the mission will run the onAct-code. So in some cases, like if you use the onAct to spawn an explosion, it will repeat this for the server and all players connected, spawning several explosions instead of just one. if(isServer) { ... }; only runs the code inside the block if the machine is the server, so it only runs on the server and all non-server clients go "welp i'm not the server, not going to run whatever's in there". An alternative for init-fields is if(local this) { ... }; which will only run the code inside if this (which in an init-field refers to the unit itself) is local.

I'm not sure how the editor modules for tasks and so on work, since I found many of the BI mission logic modules kinda wonky for MP during the alpha or beta and just went back to doing all of that via scripting myself, sorry.