Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Cuntpunch posted:

You can basically max out the Arma3 engine on 4 year old hardware. Until they commit to aggressively finding ways to multithread it, it'll continue to be a terrible slow beast.

I would move to the Czech Republic and work minimum wage for them if it meant I could sit down for a year and grind out Arma's multithreading problems. No joke. The experience would look great on a resume. I'm poo poo at programming but all the stuff I'd learn in the process would make it worth it.

sigh, pipe dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
You might as well just sit down wherever you are and grind out an entire game engine from scratch over a couple of years. The way every aspect of the ArmA is tangled together means it would probably be faster :mmmhmm:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Slashrat posted:

The way every aspect of the ArmA is tangled together means it would probably be faster :mmmhmm:

I know that this is the popular meme and whatnot, but the people who made Arma 3 already have way more experience with making that poo poo than I probably ever will... and as you know, it's way easier in general to take something someone else made and gently caress around with it than it is to make your own thing from scratch.

So yeah I get where you're coming from but I think it's one of those things where it sounds good on the surface but when you think more about it... not so much.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Love Stole the Day posted:

I know that this is the popular meme and whatnot, but the people who made Arma 3 already have way more experience with making that poo poo than I probably ever will... and as you know, it's way easier in general to take something someone else made and gently caress around with it than it is to make your own thing from scratch.

So yeah I get where you're coming from but I think it's one of those things where it sounds good on the surface but when you think more about it... not so much.

I don't doubt that BIS has gained a lot of experience since their OFP days, but they haven't leveraged that into a well-planned and designed engine because they are still doing patchwork upgrades on the engine they made when they first started out. I would love for them to start over and apply everything they've learned to either make a new engine using modern techniques, or branch out an existing engine like Unreal for example to do the stuff they need it to do for the ArmA series.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Slashrat posted:

You might as well just sit down wherever you are and grind out an entire game engine from scratch over a couple of years. The way every aspect of the ArmA is tangled together means it would probably be faster :mmmhmm:

Worse yet, doing it from outside you might be better paid -- I've previously heard Czech minimum wage described as not enough to afford to move back out...

Slashrat posted:

I don't doubt that BIS has gained a lot of experience since their OFP days, but they haven't leveraged that into a well-planned and designed engine because they are still doing patchwork upgrades on the engine they made when they first started out.
In Arma 3's case it's most likely that they needed an engine fast -- as good as it may seem (until you look under the hood) they'd previously had ambitions like Java support as a potential replacement for SQF, or the Advanced Flight Model being in at launch and default, even of doing a community alpha after E3 2012, to say nothing of cross-faction uniform swapping and attaching satchels; Bohemia went silent about the first three, the uniform swapping was walked back (along with plans for Editor upgrades) by prior project lead Dan "Damu" Musil before he left for Warhorse Studios, and somewhere a dev admitted that said uniform changing and attaching satchels had only been scripted proofs-of-concept, and that was all before the collapse of their give-a-poo poo following the jailings of two devs, the only "what went wrong with Arma 3 development" that Bohemia's actually admitted to. With Dwarden admitting that Bohemia leadership had actually considered cancelling Arma 3, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the new project lead's plan to turn the game around was Arma 3 to lean on the Arma 2 engine -- with all its attendant long-term issues -- as heavily as it does in order to meet a launch window, just as the new project lead outright stated the choice to go to Steamworks had been due to.

Indeed, it reminds me of Arma 1 in the sense of the CEO's later admission that due to time wasted on a hilariously overambitious OFP sequel* and a broken relationship with the publisher, Bohemia had had to "take as much of the new engine improvements as possible from OFP: Elite for Xbox (most notably the streaming of data into memory and pixel shaders) and create a game partly based on revamped Cold War Crisis assets. The result is now known as Arma (initially titled OFP Rearmed). Unlike “Game 2”, this would have to be created relatively quickly, within a budget and most importantly on time."

Slashrat posted:

I would love for them to start over and apply everything they've learned to either make a new engine using modern techniques, or branch out an existing engine like Unreal for example to do the stuff they need it to do for the ArmA series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rE8WvQtlF8&hd=1

* "Game 2, the sequel, was intended to be "perfect", so the team aimed for the clouds and got lost there, obsessively 3D-scanning army equipment in the name of unprecedented realism, and building everything from tiny blocks for players to destroy - mechanics developers baulk at even now. So caught up in the fastidious details was the team - on modelling things like eyeballs - that it had neglected to notice obvious things such as characters' legs not fitting their torsos." - Eurogamer

Chortles fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 6, 2015

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I had an idea to make a single-player Arma 3 challenge mission that everyone could play (e.g. no mod dependencies), so I reinstalled Arma 3 and made it in the editor. Open the mission by going to Play > Scenarios > VR Challenge #1 from your main menu in the game.

Post a screenshot of your score if you beat it. Here's the link: http://filedropper.com/vrchallenge01vr (I don't know what site to use and this one looked alright)

It's just the .pbo file -- put it in your Arma 3/Missions/ folder (not MPMissions) so that it shows up in the Scenarios in-game menu.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

SITREP posted:

Programming Lead Vojtěch Hladík has added two script commands which may be used by (multiplayer) scenario designers to optimize performance. Commands disableRemoteSensors and getRemoteSensorsDisabled let you disable raycasts for remote entities in a group that doesn't have any local entities. These raycasts are used to determine what other entities an entity can see, and they take a lot of CPU time. This is of course a bit of a trick, because rather than a true optimization, it disables part of the simulation. However, there are certainly types of scenarios where these raycasts are not needed. An example is a fully Player-versus-Player scenario, where the visibility between every combination of player entity is not needed. So why not disable this by default? There are cases where you do require these raycasts, for example in stealth scenarios. Without them, commands like knowsAbout, nearTargets and targetKnowledge will only function for local units! The commands themselves are local, can be used on servers and clients, and the state is reset when the scenario ends. So, carefully consider whether your scenario can benefit from this method. We've measured some significant performance boosts for high player count PvP scenarios in testing already.

I shouldn't even be surprised that Arma by default does CPU-intensive visibility checks between entities for which such checks are irrelevant. If I'm understanding this correctly, visibility is also checked for AI on both the server as well as every client. :psyduck:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It's happening:

And on Tuesday at 2 pm US Eastern Time they stream it:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 19, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This makes me really happy.

Really loving happy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
While the stream announcement remained non-specific and they're not yet admitting a release date, they did again confirm that it will be free ("part of a future platform update") and that pre-existing 2D editor scenarios will be backwards compatible:

Arma 3 stream announcement posted:

With its long-standing focus on user-created content and modding, the classic 2D scenario editor has always been a major staple of the Arma series. Taking a massive leap forward, the powerful new Eden 3D Editor for Arma 3 will give players far more control over their creations than ever before. Users will now be able to directly create or edit entities, such as characters, vehicles, buildings and other objects, within the 3D game environment. They can also set mission objectives, define waypoints, control time of day and weather, and make use of all other functionality previously available in the classic 2D editor.

All of these capabilities can be accessed via Eden Editor's easy-to-use interface. It enables even the beginning user to create a basic single- or multiplayer scenario in a matter of minutes. The more advanced scenario creators, on the other hand, can continue to make use of the extensive library of custom scripts. Plus their previously created scenarios made in the original 2D editor will be backwards-compatible. In addition, modders can extend the editor's functionality via custom plugins. As such, the Eden Editor will form the go-to destination for playing around in Arma 3's rich military sandbox platform, featuring detailed simulation, large-scale terrains, and a wide variety of soldiers, weaponry, vehicles, and other objects.
What I want for it out of VBS3 though are the ability to fork vanilla loadouts to create custom classes from within the Editor without requiring a config mod PBO, filtering in the Editor unit/vehicle/object menu lists, or -- so crucially for Tanoa -- destructible trees.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 18, 2015

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Being able to build bases and set up scenes without constantly previewing things or using mcc/zeus fuckery will be nice.

Destructible trees would also be nice. No poo poo being able to clear lzs and set up firebases would be great for vietnam missions.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

AirborneNinja posted:

Destructible trees would also be nice. No poo poo being able to clear lzs and set up firebases would be great for vietnam missions.
You'd also have added utility for HE ammo in ground vehicle turrets from their ability to clear out trees.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Twenty-four hours or from the stream and we have screenshots:

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Holy poo poo, map markers to quick jump to cities. I'll be damned.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Holy poo poo, map markers to quick jump to cities. I'll be damned.

Well yeah, if cities are suddenly usable then people are gonna use them, eh?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is the single player/mods for single player any decent? I remember some pretty bullshit AI in Arma 2.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Is the single player/mods for single player any decent? I remember some pretty bullshit AI in Arma 2.

Yes.

Though there will always be some level of bullshit AI in Arma games.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, cool. I want to at least get my feet wet doing SP stuff since I don't want to be a complete detriment to whatever MP server I join. :v:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

Alright, cool. I want to at least get my feet wet doing SP stuff since I don't want to be a complete detriment to whatever MP server I join. :v:

:unsmith: You are greatly underestimating the people that play this game... especially the public side

Your greatest foe will not be the AI, but the admins of the public servers you will play on.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Play KOTH, enjoy the coin toss that is the next twenty seconds of your life when you get in a helicopter, occasionally shoot mans.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Shoutouts to Chortles for getting name dropped constantly by the devs via the official forums.

Also, 3D editor is out (beta)

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
:siren:Eden Editor is now on Dev Branch.:siren:

If you missed the stream there was a lot of information given out that I'm sure someone will compile somewhere. No ETA on the full release, but it will come in a later platform update.
Great news for all mission makers and modders, it seems they've achieved another great feat that is beyond what people expected.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
On the stream, a dev right-clicked a placed Device, went to its Attributes, scrolled down to the Trigger Specific - Eden Device section... and there was a big "RELEASE BETA" button that he clicked.

:siren: EDEN IS ON DEV BRANCH NOW :siren:

From the stream chat:

quote:

Bi_pettka: @en3xy It's a bit deeper, but engince computes force necessary to put something off the geometry and if it is too high, the object simply explodes

YorisYan: @Mrsuicidez Some features we're looking to port back to Zeus indeed. Not sure yet which, but search is a candidate.

Fewiofjweiofjweioj: I'd let jay crowe cuck me so hard that I consider suicide

StidOfficial: Modding texture, object, vehicle is supported ?
Locke32: @Arma3official I just popped in, will custom squad loadouts that we create be available for us to deploy without having to edit each soldier individually?

MrSuicideZ: @Yorisyan Will the UI for eden be moddable?
YorisYan: @Mrsuicidez To some degree I believe so. There are lots of script commands to control the editor and write your own plugins

GreenwireGaming: DISABLE STAMINA BUTTON ITS HERE. NO MORE SCRIPT!

ZombieJeep: @Yorisyan will you be able to remove static objects and edit terrain?
YorisYan: @Zombiejeep Terrain editing is not part of this tool. However, there is an export function to Terrain Builder.

@YorisYan, Will it be linked to Arsenal so we can change loadouts of AI/players?
Bi_pettka: @Mrtibsuk7 That should be the part of Eden Editor

YoriYan: @Vigilvindexx It means you can preview the scenario directly on a hosted MP server, which you'll not always want :)

FrankHH: Are we going to have the possibility to click on a unit and access the virtual arsenl to change the inventory on the fly?
Bi_pettka: @Frankhh Arsenal and Garage settings should be available in Eden Editor

@YorisYan I have noticed the play from here button briefly when Nelson is clicking on units, I am interested into what this is? I have some ideas but I dont know :D
YorisYan: @Itombass It instantly previews you as a unit from that place, without permanently changing the scenario.

MrTibsUK7: @YorisYan, @Bi_pettka are there performance issues you can forsee by loading all the objects in the world in realtime?
YorisYan: @Mrtibsuk7 Even 2D editor needs to have all objects you are manipulating loaded, so it wouldn't be worse here.
Bi_pettka: @Mrtibsuk7 As much as loading of the mission

ExileMod: @YorisYan: Can we also place objects or ponds? So basically stuff the existing editors are not as that useful for?
YorisYan: @Exilemod This is not intended as terrain editor as such. But what you can or cannot place is purely up to how assets are configured (scope), so a simple mod can open up what you can place, if we don't do it in vanilla.

Papanowel1: @Yorisyan is there any new slider to set the fog decay, altitude,base like in VBS or we have to use the old way?
YorisYan: @Papanowel1 At the moment I'm not sure whether fog controls were expanded yet, but it's likely on the todo list
Bi_pettka: @Papanowel1 I'm not sure from the top of my head, sorry :(

en3xy: YorisYan will Eden replace standard editor?
YorisYan: @En3xy After a period of testing and transition, yes

Harlock17: can you limit speed and altitude of AI controlled vehicles directly from EDEN or do we stil have to use init scripts ? @YorisYan
Bi_pettka: @Harlock17 It should be possible to do in Eden Editor
YorisYan: @Harlock17 Not sure you can right now, but the editor can be modded for expanded plugins and advanced tools.
Bi_pettka: @Harlock17 I mean by some advanced settings - e.g. modded atributes

CU_CandidateX: Will there be ever shotguns?

VyMajoris: Did you guys really canned Java implementation? I could really make use of that
YorisYan: @Vymajoris Afraid that's no longer in active development

Torchgodz: can you make your own camps like that and save them
BI_ok: @torchgodz yes, you can

VansenPC: is this replacing the editor already in the game or in addition to?
YorisYan: @Vansenpc Both available at first, but eventually only Eden remains
Bi_pettka: @Vansenpc There's going to be a transition period with both editors and then the Eden Editor is going to be there on its own

rasvanan: Can you make your own compositions?
YorisYan: @Rasvanan Yes, that's an important feature we want in there ... as well as the ability to share them.

Starfox64_: Will these 2D features be tranfered to the current 2D editor?
YorisYan: @Starfox64_ No, the editor will replace the current 2D editor :)

CranberryBear: @Yorisyan Could we edit other community made maps too ? this editor looks like it will make mission files even more realistic
YorisYan: @Cranberrybear If those scenarios are released open-source as SQM file, yes
YorisYan: @Cranberrybear And we're looking at making it possible to publish SQM open-source scenarios to Workshop, besides packaged PBO addons

DasDscha: @Arma3Official - Option to export composition to TerrainBuilder?
Bi_pettka: @Dasdscha That should be actually possible

CranberryBear: @Yorisyan ill probably spend the first 100 hours building realistic bases in middle eastern maps lirikMEOW
YorisYan: @Cranberrybear And the cool thing is you can share those object compositions via Workshop for others to use eventually.
CranberryBear: @Yorisyan so people will be able to oneclick my entire base onto their map? that sounds so awesome
YorisYan: @Cranberrybear That's the plan

AccidentalGamer: will we be able to add assets on a rifle (like optics, laser, etc...) in the editor?
Bi_pettka: @Accidentalgamer Arsenal should be an integral part of Eden Editor

NouberNou: CfgVehicles tag entry would be nice to tag items for search.
Bi_pettka: @Noubernou We are going to adjust current categorization to make it more fluent, hopefully

Stilichos: @Bi_pettka, Are there offices in Florida for Bi? I'm in College for Game Design in Florida, and some of my Professors have talked about it, so I'm curious now
dslyecxi: @Stilichos - that's BISimulations, a different company that works on VBS.
Bi_pettka: @Stilichos Those are for BI Simulations, which is adifferent company now

Reddit had their own log for the stream as well.

Also, their stream rig is a i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz with a GTX 980 Ti, 32 GB RAM and Windows 10.

imurdaddy415
Sep 15, 2015
Just bought it and definitely enjoying it. Anyone have a favorite waste land server?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

imurdaddy415 posted:

Just bought it and definitely enjoying it. Anyone have a favorite waste land server?

On American evenings, you can sometimes find a couple goons in the CTS Mumble iirc playing either koth, exile, or wasteland together. That's about it in terms of goons playing pubs in arma 3. There was another thread a while ago but they closed it down for whatever reason.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Arma is one of those games where goon interest waxes and wanes pretty regularly. It's easy to get burnt out on it after months of playing. It's unfortunately just part of the nature of it.

imurdaddy415
Sep 15, 2015

On American evenings, you can sometimes find a couple goons in the CTS Mumble iirc playing either koth, exile, or wasteland together. That's about it in terms of goons playing pubs in arma 3. There was another thread a while ago but they closed it down for whatever reason.

Gotcha. So far I have 3 friends that play it too so if we could gather more people we could do some serious damage

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Why does this game keep locking up for like 30 seconds every minute or couple of minutes when playing online?

I'm guessing it's windows 10, because I don't remember it doing this before, or what else could it be? I have an old Radeon that works fine. (Bioshock infinite would also do this, I'd have to tab out and back in for it to start working again.)

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Could be the missions youve been playing. Anything that spawns npcs can make your machine chug for a few seconds. Poorly optimized or script heavy missions, like domination missions, will do it as well.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

imurdaddy415 posted:

There's a goon Exile server. Exile is like Wasteland but better.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

AirborneNinja posted:

Could be the missions youve been playing. Anything that spawns npcs can make your machine chug for a few seconds. Poorly optimized or script heavy missions, like domination missions, will do it as well.

It was KoTH and BR I was trying to play.

Figured it out after finding some page telling me to delete some MP folder in the appdata/roaming/arma 3 directory. Doesn't lock up now like it was.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Mederlock posted:

Arma is one of those games where goon interest waxes and wanes pretty regularly. It's easy to get burnt out on it after months of playing. It's unfortunately just part of the nature of it.

Our group has been going on since A2 (at least) non-stop, so a few years, but we only have organized plays twice a week so that helps to not burn out in a month.

Also we are huge spergs.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Also we are huge spergs.
:jerkbag:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Also we are huge spergs a cult of personality.

We've had group members come and go and go on hiatus quite a lot, so interest does indeed wax and wane. I'm expecting a small jump in players once the 3D editor comes out.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you limit your virtual MAN shooting to only twice a week it does prevent the MAN from getting stale, but we also try to have some mission variety. Probably the biggest thing that prevents the game from getting old is just playing it with people you enjoy it with.

So make your friends hate you bug your friends into playing it, or find a group that does the same sort of poo poo you have fun with regularly and the game won't get old.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'd like to get goons together to play mission based stuff, but without all the mods.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Mods make the game replayability go up by 100%. Vanilla stuff is fun once in a while, but the selection is highly limited and it's fun to play with new virtual toys.

Also having a cult of personality makes the game 100% better, so having both that and a 15gb modset makes it 10000% better. Enemy cult leader spotted, 300m, front!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any way to make it so I can rebind wired 360 controllers in the game without using something like X Padder? Kind of defeats the point if what I'm going to use for acceleration and stuff isn't pressure sensitive. :v:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

Any way to make it so I can rebind wired 360 controllers in the game without using something like X Padder? Kind of defeats the point if what I'm going to use for acceleration and stuff isn't pressure sensitive. :v:

Go into the options and rebind the controls.
There isn't anything special you need to do, provided you can see the controller listed under the CONTROLLER section you can set a custom scheme. You can also press CUSTOMIZE to adjust dead zones and such.

e: Like Gib says, I'm guessing you've neglected to press 'ENABLE' at the bottom for the precise cause.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Yeah alot of the time Arma will have detected the controller correctly, but you have to manually enable it in order to bind it.