Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Just The Facts posted:

God I hope the interface and controls are better than ARMAII. I really want to like that game but it just feels so clunky walking around.

It's honest to god why I love Arma more than most shooters, honestly. You move around like you actually are a bit burdened by poo poo you carry and things don't just align themselves perfectly to be played like a game, but more as a simulator of sorts.

And it's good for making my friends who say they'd love to be in the military shut up, as they die in one bullet to the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mederlock posted:

You can't honestly say you enjoy how clunky (ala Metro 2033) Arma is, it's a subpar system and everyone including Bohemia knows it, which is why it's been fixed in Arma 3. It will have a stamina system, so the heavier you are, the harder it will be to keep up with everyone, and the longer it'll take for you to get your breath back for aimed shooting, which personally I find is the better system.

I disagree with your assessment, but that's because I don't really consider Arma "games" to be enjoyed to play, in the same way you enjoy playing Counter-Strike or Quake or Half-Life.

I enjoy it because of it's complexities, and taking it away kinda takes away from what makes Arma different from Operation Flashpoint(current ones).

It's just not meant to be that kind of shooter, I feel.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sniper Party posted:

Making the inventory system not offensively obtuse and having the soldiers be able to switch targets in less than an aeon won't turn the game into a fast-paced game with dudes headshotting foes while spinning in the air. It's not even a question of realism versus gameplay since the current lack of movement fluidity and aiming responsiveness makes urban warfare and CQC in particular almost impossible to perform realistically.

No, I agree with these changes.

I was just thinking changing how the player handles like a tank wouldn't be a very good idea. Inventory and target switching are things that were broken and definately qualifies as better choices to fix.

Just me misunderstanding what "improving controls" means, I guess.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

Yes, moving like a fat man on a fast segway shooting a cannon attached to the handlebars by means of some sort of non-newtonian-fluid-filled hydraulics is totally optimal and realistic and should definitely not be changed.

Why argue that point? I like it. You don't. If I'm in the minority, I don't mind, I just don't find a lot of other games even try that hard to maintain that soldiers are mortal and that combat is chaotic and you will most likely die because you can't move as fast or agile as you'd like if you were playing a video game.

Realism doesn't really come into it, because that's a pretty subjective and impossible-to-create goal for a game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Glad you guys are being so nice about it, but I'm willing to see things from your perspective and certainly agree on several aspects. :)

I could perhaps suffer from a bit of nostalgia from the original Operation Flashpoint, though I sucked royally at that game, so maybe some changes are definately necessary to improve the experience.

The improved singleplayer experience certainly sounds enticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's all true though, they are terrible games, but I have an odd affection for that particular type of lack of polish.