Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I'll just repost what I said about campaigns in the ArmA 2 thread:

LP97S posted:

Why the hell couldn't they just do another campaign like "1985 Cold War Crisis" from the original Operation Flashpoint. That had everything, from general battles, retreating, working with insurgents, spec ops, driving tanks, flying helicopters for transport, medevac, and attack, commanding infantry, commanding tanks, blowing up fuel depots, attacking Soviet territory with A-10's, getting shot down, escaping captivity and using the stars to navigation, and capturing the rogue Soviet general. That's a loving campaign.

I seriously don't get people who enjoy the ArmA campaigns, I can't even get through them half of the time because they're so drat clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Yes, yes you can. The editor is actually basically the same as the Arma 2 one last they showed it, just with some incremental improvements to the UI and such.

The biggest change was the elimination of "novice mode" and the ability to create groups larger than 12 units.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Chortles posted:

Source on this? I mean, this time around the devs seem less spergy than their forums...

I was talking about the changes from Operation Flashpoint editing to ArmA II editing, sorry.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well the ArmA series has a history of extensive modding and fanmade addons so the ability to modify iron sights would be nice for any addon or mod that takes place before 2013.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Don't worry, they have their own 26 page thread to complain about steam now.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Nalin posted:

The main problem with the steam auto update is the fact that it isn't uncommon for updates to be broken or break mods. ARMA is one of those games where everybody uses mods on their servers (we ran a bunch of mods in ARMA 2). If steam updates and breaks poo poo, we suddenly won't be able to play any of the missions that rely on the broken content. In ARMA 2, I remember the occasional "don't patch" warnings that went out when the ARMA2GOONS servers purposely held back on an update.

Rarely do mods break with patches in ArmA. I remember running day one or two OFP mods years later on OFP:Resistance 1.96 with no problem. What it adds up to is that they're big man children who don't trust steam because they have invested way too much time into a loving game.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
God, that one mod who's complaining is nuts. He hates all of the people who bought the game just to play it and never make addons. The worst part is that he's the Project Lead for the Cold War Rearmed 2 project (that's the Operation Flashpoint total conversion). If that rear end in a top hat refuses to port to ArmA III he's a damned fool.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
There's also the OP of the BIS thread.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?139742
Try the fr and de servers first, they're usually faster.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
No, no, it goes way back. He's been a mod for years before CWR2 was made. As for future tech, the most advanced is way more cameras on things and apparently a railgun macguffin.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
They seem to be taking it pretty well, also I wonder what they mean by 'modding', are they going to release sample configs with the new changes prior to the release or just let people drop PBO's into the addons folder and sees what happens.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Fraser CDN posted:

Not to mention having 3 Alpha keys could increase ARMA's population.

You should realize that this is considered a negative on the BIS forums.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Some bad news on the ArmA III modding front,Cold War Rearmed is staying an ArmA II only mod. For the most part it seems to be for non-steam reasons.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

simosimo posted:

34 quid? I thought if we buy into the alpha we get it dirt cheap?

You get the Alpha, Beta, and Full game for 20 quid or $33.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I just made a BIS account to do just that, only 8 hours to go.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Bought it on BIS store, totally worth the extra 35 minutes.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
In case you want to see how low you can go:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (2 cores, 3.00 ghz)
GTX 460 (I think 1GB)
6 GB of ram
WD Black HD

As a result, everything turned down low, still looks and runs better that ArmA II OA. Also, there still are some bugs, or there's the Thing on the island.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Chernarus and Takistan are nice, but I want to see Sahrani get ported, the island was the only great bit about ArmA 1 anyway.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The civilian modules still has 'Limosian' as well.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
There is a dedicated server trick, but you need steam and winserver 2008.
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-server-on-a-dedicated-server

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Whole Lotta Stratos COOP just got released.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I was one of people complaining about Teamspeak because I couldn't link anything in chat because I had some stupid rank or whatever sperg poo poo TS users can get. Now that's fixed by having dozens of them. Mumble is good for most stuff but yeah it's not compatible with ACRE which puts the ArmA II guys at a disadvantage.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
For everyone wanting to know their stance, there's a mod for it now. Needs CBA to work.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Boogaleeboo posted:

I agree, I think wendigo are going to be the next big thing. I predict the next big mod will be a highly realistic small town simulator, where by day you work a small manual labor job and get some beers at the local bar, and at night you protect the town from the cannibalistic monsters who seek to devour them all.

Well Anthropophagus did take place on a Greek Island, I'm sure we could change the story from one guy to 20 random wrecks who wash up on the island, mad after eating their families to survive.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
EDIT: not related to discussion.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Never underestimate what the Dominions and Commonwealths would do for the mother nation prior to 1931. Indecently , never underestimate what Australia and New Zealand would do together prior to 2003, hell the kiwis sent troops to Vietnam!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Heroic Beard posted:

The game has a mod that combines them but missions don't seem to work properly and it has lots of errors.
I'm hopping BI combines them all in the future so Arma 2 and all it's mods like Cold War Rearmed get upgraded to the Arma 3 engine.

The guy who was running the mod quit being a mod on the BIS forums because of steam, it's not happening.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Just messed around a bit, no campaign yet but Atlis is loving huge.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

SERPUS posted:

If you want campaigns, there's Call of Duty and whatever else. If you want user created milsim missions that you have to remember to check the batteries on your Aimpoint before you leave base, Arma is for you.

"Want a story with your realism, get back to CoD noob :hurr:"

This is pretty bad for a Games post, and that's a low bar already.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah, the guys who did the JSDF mod seemed to take a break for a few years after their last OFP release. They skipped ArmA 1 entirely and just did their ArmA 2 stuff. The only complaint I still have about mods is that their faction side is hard-coded in the configs so you can't have Blue-on-Blue fights without some tricks. Well that and most of the mods being super-sperg M4's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, played through the "Survive" campaign using Dev Branch. Not bad I guess. The only really frustrating part was when you had to use a mortar support with only 8 rounds to try to bullseye 3 smallish targets. However the mission keeps going even if you fail that, so its no biggie.

The end of the final mission where you're running about 600m through hills while annoyingly accurate heavy mortars rain down on you and CSAT paradrop into your path was kind of crazy and awesome, if a bit lethal, had to restart several times. Then again the CSAT got hit by the mortars a few times themselves, so I guess I can't complain. Overall the final mission was a good intro for the CSAT, though they really shouldn't have just had those gunships flying around low around you for scare factor or whatever, I kept expecting one to annihilate me at any moment.

That doesn't sound too bad and seems more like the old flashpoint campaigns, no matter what people say about going to CoD for some single player. I'm looking forward to getting a computer that can run this game well and playing the hell out of it.