Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

No, I agree with these changes.

I was just thinking changing how the player handles like a tank wouldn't be a very good idea. Inventory and target switching are things that were broken and definately qualifies as better choices to fix.

Just me misunderstanding what "improving controls" means, I guess.

Yes, moving like a fat man on a fast segway shooting a cannon attached to the handlebars by means of some sort of non-newtonian-fluid-filled hydraulics is totally optimal and realistic and should definitely not be changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hadlock posted:

So what has been happening with our Czech friends stuck in the Greek gulag? Last news I heard (mid-Nov 2012) was that they'd been in jail for 70 days and the president had personally appealed to the greek president.

Apparently they're back home on bail for now.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:munch:

I suspect that there's nobody mad who wouldn't improve the community by their departure.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dilettante. posted:

Madness. Still, it will be a shame if Addon makers quit making stuff over something so inconsequential.

The only ACE/ACRE person to have said anything negative about the steam integration that I've seen is Xeno, and this ":qq: well I won't let anyone port it" seems to have been specifically about Domination rather than about ACE.

I'm not that worried. :shrug:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nalin posted:

The main problem with the steam auto update is the fact that it isn't uncommon for updates to be broken or break mods. ARMA is one of those games where everybody uses mods on their servers (we ran a bunch of mods in ARMA 2). If steam updates and breaks poo poo, we suddenly won't be able to play any of the missions that rely on the broken content. In ARMA 2, I remember the occasional "don't patch" warnings that went out when the ARMA2GOONS servers purposely held back on an update.

That situation already exists with A2/OA as a great many people have it on steam and it automatically patches.

OA steam patches rarely break mods since usually by the time the patch is out on steam it's been out for manual installation for a while, and as a beta patch for a while before that. This is a pattern that might change in the future. And generally mod compatibility with patches hasn't been that much of a problem as long as the server and client version of mods are compatible. So you may still see SixUpdater in use even if A3 supports the workshop.. but.. that's already the situation so...

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Having bought A2CO twice, I think I'll be a cheapskate this time around, too. You're not the only one.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jippa posted:

I'm going to wait until other people play the alpha/beta to make sure nothing is seriously wrong with it, and then I'm definitely on board.

Sorry if this is a obvious question but I couldn't find an up to date answer? Will people immediately mod some sort of dayz style thing into the game or is this not possible?

DayZ is getting a standalone version incorporating a lot of the changes from Arma3.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MasonF posted:

I'm definitely buying into this. Hopefully the finished product is a hell of a lot less buggy and more optimized than ArmA II was/is. I hope the alpha gets a mission editor at least.

Chart says it does.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

And modders hate steam because they want absolute freedom and that's no DRM. I'm willing to throw that out the windows for better stability, less bugs, quicker patches, and easier moddability with steamworks.

Even then, though, a huge number of A2OA players have Steam versions and run the same mods as everyone else with... okay, with the same general problems everyone else has, for the most part. The additional problems come mainly from A2/OA being in two separate directories under Steam rather than installed over top of eachother.

Putting everything under the Steam tent with A3 will fix a lot of the mod installation confusion, even if it DOESN'T get Workshop support. And if it DOES get Workshop support, it doesn't mean manual installation is impossible, it's just an additional, massively streamlined option.

And didn't they say they're not planning on locking the DLC PBOs this time around?

I cannot think of a single downside to the steamworks thing. Now, I could understand being mad if it were going to be an Origin exclusive, but...

I suspect most of the rage is really about :filez:.

How dare BIS move to a DRM option better than FADE :bahgawd:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Haephastus posted:

The real thing that makes ACE fun is the little details they add, like the axillary rotor being able to kill people when it's spinning down. We had our team engineer down himself three separate times on it before learning about that. The fact that sunglasses actually reduce glare and make backwash not 'hurt' your eyes is also a nice touch.

Some things in ACE2, like batteries (obligatory battery joke) and combat deafness are just dumb as gently caress. But other things, like deployable crew-served weapons and ammunition cooking off and CCIP/CCRP bombing that actually works and the non-spergy version of the medical system and a metric fuckton of additional vehicles and weapons, are really cool.

Fuckers did away with the cool HALO stuff and replaced it with that stupid altimeter thing though :(

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:awesome:

So much potential. Just two more days.. hnngh.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

keyframe posted:

Is there any word on when exactly the game will be available on steam? Any chance we will be able to play tomorrow night? :ohdear:

March 5th. No idea on when specifically, but if I had to guess, I'd guess at the usual Steam time of 9-10AMish PST.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:hawaaaafap:

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLIPW0oIvm8

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Combatace posted:

Well, custom faces don't seem to work too well.

Yeah, they have a completely new head mesh now.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

fuckpot posted:

The helicopter physics aren't as good as I hoped they would be after hearing they were implementing the Take On flying model. When flying in Take On you can really feel the effects of the helicopter being buffeted by the wind and the torque created by the rotors. So far the helicopters still feel like they are flying in a bit of a physics devoid vacuum. I am hoping the flight model is improved as updates are released. That is probably the greatest complaint I have about the alpha so far.

They said the TOH flight model hadn't made it into the Alpha yet but that they're planning on adding it eventually.

The movement and shooting feel amazing. You no longer feel like a fat man on a Segway scooter while moving and your gun doesn't feel like it's submerged in a bizarre non-Newtonian fluid. Stance-dance as somebody dubbed it is a little hard to get used to but with practice it'll get a lot more fluid, and a little HUD indicator describing your body position would help a lot there as well.

The most frustrating part of the Alpha isn't brokenness or 'differentness', but rather all the little cockteases of cool ideas that you'll be able to play around with in the full version that there isn't enough stuff for yet.

I haven't even run into that many bugs. The multiplayer is still a bit iffy as well but, that's.. not exactly unexpected. We'll see. The only significant niggle I have so far is I'm not sure I like the briefing stuff and kinda want to go back to the old way instead of having to sync a hundred things together in the editor and I'm not sure if the old way still works or not.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Protip: you can add enemy units to a friendly group by grouping them with a friendly SL.

Protip: If you set the friendly SL as having a 0 probability of spawning, the enemy units will still be friendly!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HORNY COW posted:

It was 12 in OFP but it increased to something way higher in ARMA (24, maybe?) You can look up OFP mission editor guides and most of it will still be the same.

BIS learning zone

Think it's 24 in Arma2, can't recall. I know the max number of groups per side you can have in Arma2 is 144.

Good to know about going back to the traditional editor :)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Daedalus1134 posted:

Okay, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to learn my way around the editor, and apparently if I want to add the ability to respawn I have to stop what I'm doing, save, quit out, make a text file in the map folder, fill it with code, re-open, and hope I coded it right? :psyduck:

Is there a way to do it in the init that's in-editor? That seems crazy convoluted, but also very Arma-like.

You can write the script files in the mission folder while the editor is running, you might just have to save and reload the mission to get it to recognize it. Just don't edit the mission file itself while the mission is open in the editor.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the black husserl posted:

Thanks!! I can't use the editor well enough yet so this stuff is awesome. Also holy poo poo are their destructable buildings in this game? I started a multiplayer session and a helicopter had crashed into a radio tower, destroying it.

Almost every building is destructible to some degree. It's not Battlefield3-like destruction but you can still blow up buildings/knock down most walls/knock down some trees if you shoot enough explosives at them or crash into them hard enough.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

It annoys me how they still don't have weapon resting in. My bipod equipped AR should not be bouncing around this much!

Weapon resting was never in Arma2, it's an ACE feature.

That said, hopefully Arma3 will have built in weapon resting of its own.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Is there a reason framerate drops significantly when driving vehicles? In some, the picture-in-picture is obviously the issue, bringing my average 40-60 fps down to about 10-15. Even while driving a quad-bike my fps drops to at least 20 fps.
I can't complain about much else though, after a beta driver update and some launch parameters it runs and looks excellent on slightly above the recommended specs.

I would suspect it's something to do with the physics not being very well optimized just yet.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are there any useful addons besides this and the ShacTac HUD? (these should go in the OP)

Any good missions made yet?

There's a couple stance-indicator addons, and an addon to move the GPS window to the upper right, just under the ammo indicator. Having a stance indicator is really helpful.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is there still an ArmA2 thread around here somewhere? Just wondering because my friend decided to buy a bunch of copies of the game for some reason, and I'm wondering if there are any recommended/awesome co-op missions/packs that are good for around 3-4 players. Preferably stuff with more instant action or stupid fun involved.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3342764

Not exactly the most active thread in the world, but there it is.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I can get FaceTrackNoIR to work and track and everything is peachy, in fact, finding out about FaceTrackNoIR is what got me to get ARMA2 in the first place but for the life of me I can't set the curves in any fashion that doesn't just hurt my neck while having my character spin around like a mad man.

I figure that conceptually I would want a solid deadzone and then rather snappy movement once out of that zone but I just can't get it to work. Is there any recommended calibration guide?

I tried FaceTrackNoIR once and it was more like an Autism Simulator than anything else, so as far as I know, being spazzy and spinning like a madman is expected behavior. Maybe I just have a weird face, though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sylink posted:

This game is hard I cannot tell which way I am being shot from to save my life.

Arma is the world's premiere running-through-the-woods-for-an-hour-before-getting-shot-out-of-nowhere-and-instantly-killed simulator. It's half the charm of it, really.

It's not just you, at least. :shobon:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Zylen posted:

Not to mention you can see around corners with it as well as making vehicle combat and landing a helicopter a hell of a lot easier.

Every time I try to fly in third person I end up landing upside down on a tree, so your mileage may vary. It makes driving and vehicle gunning, especially in armored vehicles with poor visibility, super easy, though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jon93 posted:

I'm all for female models and voices being in the game but I'd rather BIS use their limited resources on other things for the time being.

Maybe sometime after the retail launch where BIS is working on DLC / Expansion content, but for now it's best to have them working on other parts of the game that need a little TLC.

Arma2 had female civilian models. They couldn't drive cars or carry weapons or do anything but stand, crouch, and go prone.

If they don't have art time to make female models that's fine, no big deal, but I'd rather not have them implemented as get-back-in-the-kitchen mode.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They've said they're still working on the anti-cheat so I'd hold out hope for improvement. That said, A2/OA had Battleye and it was useful for a few things but was never that good at preventing cheating.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sylink posted:

It can never be fixed and honestly its a waste of time. CS GO is still filled with aimbots and whatever and its run by the almighty Valve, who have way more resources than BI.

The only counter is to play in communities where that isn't tolerated and is strictly policed.

Exactly. I've never seen a single hacker in Arma2 because I've never connected to a public server.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The part that gets my goat is the variety of burqa-wearing female character models included in OA contrasted with the fact that none of them could so much as drive a car. I forgot BIS was based in Saudia Arabia. :rolleyes:

Either all the way in or all the way out.

..That sounds significantly more :pervert: than was intended.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

deebo posted:

There are ways to just pick randomly from a pool of specified units, thats what roadblock did on its spawn script.

It's what the built in scripts for populating with soldiers/civs do, it's what DAC does, there's various methods for replacing the appearance of placed units with other units. There's nothing you can do in the editor that can't be done by a script at mission start/while the script is running. You're imagining a limitation of the engine that doesn't exist/isn't relevant.

On top of that, A2 and OA had a variety of female civilian models that had to be uniquely and individually placed in the editor/were automatically generated as part of the ambient AI module, and got shot and bloody and died just like every other model. They just couldn't do anything to 'fight back' or exhibit any sort of agency. They were purely burqa-wearing targets.

The argument, the one I'm making rather than the various strawmen, is not "BIS I demand strong female characters and a fully accurate and enriching portrayal of the modern woman" nor is it "BIS I demand rape mechanics and boob jiggle and nude skins", but rather "BIS I would like any female character models you implement to be able to do the full set of actions and animations instead of literally being bipedal deer in dresses."

Edit: I don't give a gently caress about female soldier models, you wouldn't be able to tell, anyway, but the reporter not being able to hold a gun makes Necronemeton kinda suck :(

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 13, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ThePriceIsRight posted:

Does anyone know a way to turn off the xbox controller rumble for Arma 3? I love flying helicopters with it, but I hate the amount of noise it makes when i'm not flying. Unplugging it isn't really an option since I have to restart my game for it to work again.

You should be able to get it to work again without restarting Arma by opening the controls menu after plugging it back in. That's how it worked in Arma2 anyway.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

RentACop posted:

Fuuuuuccck. What is even the point

To see if you can run it without spending money?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:shlick:

That's amazing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Arsehead posted:

PS3 webcam, my lighting is pretty dim since I can usually only play at night, and I have an I7 3770. If its performance problems then I can't help you, but if it's curve settings I might be able to. I'm using the Accela filter. Ritual animal sacrifice is a given.

If you have poor lighting, especially if you wear glasses, it's just not going to pick up your face very well.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Neato, much more control with the mouse as movement instead of keys.

You might have some trouble doing quick flares, but it definitely seems easier than clumsily trying to mash V and C for the pedals and Q and Z for collective.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MrDorf posted:

This. I find rudder pedals are mostly for keeping your nose pointed on your actual flight path at slower speeds as you'll tend to drift slightly coming out of turns that bleed a lot of airspeed.

Also for fine tuning when making gun runs.

Sharp turns are almost like an airplane in execution, roll and pull 'up' and give it a bit of rudder. Any abrupt change in direction will kill airspeed like crazy, so be careful and adjust as things unfold.

The slower you're moving, the stronger the effect of the rudder. If you're barely moving at all, you can use the pedals and rotate in circles. If you're moving really fast, they do fuckall.

Part of this is the helo has a natural tendency to want to face the direction it's moving if it's moving at any real speed, which can work for you and against you.

Practice, crash into trees, and enjoy Arma 3's new damage model. :getin:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

More dumb mission making questions!

So I've shamelessly stolen someone else's scripting and adjusted it to do what I want it to do. Which is spawn, and respawn, all players with the correct gear. What I'm trying to figure out now is how to add flashlights to everyone's gun when they spawn and respawn.

Here's what I'm working with now in the mission"s init.sqf
code:
removeAllWeapons player; 
	player unassignItem "NVGoggles";
	player removeItem "NVGoggles";
	switch (side player) do {
		case blufor: {
			cul_mags = [["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag",8],["HandGrenade",2],

["SmokeShellGreen",2],["UGL_FlareGreen_F",2]];
			cul_wep = ["arifle_MX_GL_F"];
			};
		case opfor: {
			cul_mags = [["30Rnd_65x39_caseless_green",8],["HandGrenade",2],

["SmokeShellRed",2],["UGL_FlareRed_F",2]];
			cul_wep = ["arifle_Khaybar_GL_F"];
		};	
	};
	if ((str player) in ["b1","b2","o1","o2"]) then {cul_wep = cul_wep + 

["itemGPS","Binocular"];};
	{player addMagazines [_x select 0,_x select 1];}Foreach cul_mags;
	{player addWeapon _x} forEach cul_wep;
	player addItem "FirstAidKit";
	player selectWeapon (cul_wep select 0);;

player addEventHandler ["Respawn",
	{
		(_this select 0) spawn {
			sleep 120;
			hidebody _this;
			sleep 5; 
			deleteVehicle _this;
		};
		removeAllWeapons player;
		player unassignItem "NVGoggles";
		player removeItem "NVGoggles";
		{player addMagazines [_x select 0,_x select 1];}Foreach cul_mags;
		{player addWeapon _x} forEach cul_wep;
		player selectWeapon (cul_wep select 0);;
		player addItem "FirstAidKit";
	}];
};
At the moment I'm just spawning players next to a box with a thousand flashlights in it, but I'd like a more elegant solution.
Maybe try putting the following after player addItem "FirstAidKit";
code:
 player addPrimaryWeaponItem "acc_flashlight";

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149231-F3-Mission-Development-Framework-(F2-for-ArmA-3)

F3 might be a good resource for aspiring goon missionmakers to use. I tinkered with the Arma2 version (F2) for a while. It provides a lot of the framework for things like briefings and equipment scripts so you don't have to re-invent the wheel yourself.

It also includes a lot of crap you may not need or want, but at least you can look at the scripts for inspiration.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Profan posted:

Doing what they do best, is there a open door key by the way? One of the worst things in all ARMA games so far is trying to get into a house, opening the scroll menu and taking out your weapon instead of opening the door :v:

In Arma 3, get close to the door and wiggle around a bit and an open door icon will pop up, hit whatever you have bound as 'do selected action'. Or maybe 'do default action'. It's been awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Illuminati by Nature posted:

quote:

Fixed: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4189 (fish no longer only swim North)
Favourite fix right here

:psydwarf:

That's hilarious.