Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Flaky posted:

Did everyone see the new fog mechanic on dslexci's channel :monocle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Ab5YpwIFE

Absolutely amazing, isn't it?

:hawaaaafap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Interesting island in that video.

It's Stratis, the island that comes with the A3 Alpha.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chortles posted:

Those were the only two ever announced for Arma 3, even before the Greek incident and before Altis was renamed from Limnos; there is no ETA on when before final release (ETA Q3 2013) Altis would be added.

Besides, Arma 2 only shipped with Chernarus and Utes in 2009. Takistan was added with Operation Arrowhead, Shapur with British Armed Forces, Zargabad and Proving Ground with Private Military Company in 2010, and Bystrica and Bukovina with Army of the Czech Republic in 2012.

Zargabad and Desert (as well as Takistan) were with OA, PMC was just Proving Ground.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chortles posted:

Good news for mission-makers: editing individual unit loadouts in the Editor "will be present in later versions/final version of the game."

But without dozens of complicated loadout scripts how will I ever survive?!@?!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Conot posted:

That scroll down menu of support you call in strikes a bit too close to Operation Flashpoint for my tastes, what I always liked about ARMA 2 (with mods) was that your CAS, your Artillery, could be other humans, could make human mistakes, it wasn't just a tool to call down.

That will exist in A3 just like the automated-tool-that-you-call-down artillery strikes are an option in A2.

To clarify, I'm not claiming A3 will have ACE2 style arty by default, but rather saying nothing about that supports menu makes ACE Arty impossible, because that supports system is ported straight from A2. I suspect vanilla A3 will have the same limited manual arty options that were there in vanilla A2.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 17, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, it's a tidied up UI for the A3 equivalent of the Simple Support Module in A2. You can drop it on the map and monkey with the inits and access it through the 0-8 menu. There's a DIFFERENT call support option under 5.. I think it's 5-5, that one is, I believe, for groups operating under a "support" waypoint type which relies on units from the various support unit menus (fuel, repair, ambulance, etc) to come and assist..

Would be nice if A3 unfucked the multiple in-built support methods a little but from that screenshot it looks like they've made the menu a little easier to read but not significantly simplified which... I dunno. It's fine. On the one hand, too simple and it loses depth, but on the other hand, do we really need two different menus named "Call Support" which use two different but vaguely similar things.

And Chortles, that little automated task generating script is kind of neat for generating MP support objectives on the fly. Seems like it would be handy for some missions for a UO/GoonTac sort of an environment.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Selklubber posted:

Take On: UN Security Council. Are the possibility of chemical weapons in Iraq reason to invade? Choose from 15 countries and engage in hot, sweaty meeting action!

Take On World War One. Authentic trench warfare action! Charge headfirst into No Man's Land in this forgotten chapter of military history! Compatible with TrackIR and Natural Point's new SmellSense immersion enhancement peripheral (mustard gas scent cartridge sold separately).

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Roshnak posted:

They should totally take this advice. SQF is awful.

SQF is awful, but it's better than literally nothing. It's also way better than OFP's SQS :smithicide:

Supposedly A3 is going to get Java scripting support at some point but they haven't said much abut that lately.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Paper Diamonds posted:

I nailed down the problem with Arma2OA that I've been having. Anytime I launch the game from steam offline mode the game loads very slowly and stutters badly in game. In online mode it's fine and at least 20-30 fps faster. Due to where I live I can't be online very often. Any ideas?

Have you tried not launching through steam?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pez Ez Dispenser posted:

Is Altis not in the beta yet till the 25th? I don't see it on the editor or the showcases. I was probably wrong in thinking it's in now aren't I?

Edit: Well I'm just dumb to assume it was. I thought the Combined Arms showcase was on Altis.

minchar posted:

Altis is not coming until release, was confirmed on the livestream pre-E3.

Meh, not like we're stuck on Utes or something. Stratis is large enough that personally, I don't mind waiting for Altis even a little bit. They can have all the time they need.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:awesome:

A3 is pretty loving sweet so far.

(those are divers with attachTo'd chemlights getting into a helo, in case it's not immediately obvious)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Are you thinking of the different Turn Left/Right and Left/Right Pedal controls? I still have no idea what the differences between them are, but I rarely fly.

Turn Left/Turn Right are auto-coordinated turns where if you're going fast it properly coordinates bank and yaw, and if you're going slow just yaws. It is the most annoying loving default keybinding ever.

No idea about Left/Right Pedal, an analog option for rudder pedals, maybe?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GateheaD posted:

I hosted a co-op map on my Gaming PC (i5 @ 4ghz, 8GB, New VGA) on a lovely Australian ADSL connection.
One other person was fine, as soon as a 2nd person was added it was unplayable for them.

The map we were playing was a randomly generated mission type thing (Whole lotta stratus)
Is this an AI Problem, Processing or Bandwidth?

It's probably your connection, just as a guess, though poorly made or very AI-heavy missions (particularly poorly made missions that are very AI heavy) can bog quite badly.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

simosimo posted:

I got stuck in BAF when you had to defend a little compound in a canyon and armoured cars came ASWELL as mortars, god it's like the 3rd mission in give me a break.

Yep, that was the moment I gave up on the BAF campaign.

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I didn't realise that many people played the campaign

This was my reaction to the all the garment rending about the campaign being released later.

Personally, I'm happy as can be. People who don't care about the campaign can have all the other stuff sooner, and they get more time to finish the campaign and maybe it won't be quite as glitch-prone and broken as previous campaigns. Far better than everything waiting for them to finish rushing out the campaign.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gromit posted:

You can get rid of one by adding it to your game list. It goes away and nothing ends up in your library. But it knows after that, and the other two will refuse to be added.

I just gifted mine to people.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Flaky posted:

If anyone has been following the discussion on improving midrange textures, there appears to have been some movement in the last few days, with a mapping dev Googlava taking NordKindchen's improvements to the project lead for inclusion in an upcoming development build, probably after launch. This is fantastic news, as it means essentially that mid range textures will now be logical mapped in a similar way to the close range textures, significantly improving the overall visuals of the game, with theoretically minimal FPS impact. Take a look at the screenshots to see for yourself. This is currently available for testing on dev build as a mod if you hunt through the thread.

Will they be fixing the part where it completely ruins dirt runways and beaches as part of its inclusion in the dev branch?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah... it runs pretty decently on my upper-mid-range comp. Most people were reporting better framerates than A2.

High playercount multiplayer is still.. um.. 'unpredictable'.. but, it runs on anything that ran A2 at a playable level.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

It runs better on SP.

I run the game on ultra since the only setting that affects fps is draw distance, but there are some areas that will tank fps no matter what.

Hope they clean it up at some point cause I find it hard to imagine people with less-than-supercomputers having fun playing at like 5 fps.

Yeah, there are some places that just murder your framerate, but in single player a rig like yours should chug along at a good 50-60 on high/medium-high settings.

Multiplayer is still a bit of a clusterfuck but that's kinda par for the course for Arma games at/around release. Badly scripted missions, bad hosting, and too many players will all absolutely slaughter MP performance right now, having absolutely nothing to do with the specs of an individual player's computer.

Stick to small playercount things for now, I guess?

Also: Don't run shadows on anything lower than high. On lower settings, shadows are done by the CPU rather than the GPU, which is kinda dumb.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 2, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bondematt posted:

Whelp, it appears grass + FSAA is a culprit for me. Even when just set to 2x it drops my frames from a solid 60 to 45 with a scope full of grass, and down to 40 at 8x. This is with ATOC disabled.

Removing grass with "setTerrainGrid 50;" works fine, but looks like rear end.

Any other options here or am I stuck with that?

Maybe try PPAA instead of FSAA?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Considering there was an A2:OA patch as recently as July 2012, the chance of BIS plopping out a turd on A3 release day and then abandoning it are pretty low.

Terrible launches that get fixed over the following months are kinda BIS's thing.

Though the whole 'we need more money right now' part is important too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I remember when we believed this stuff would be fixed with the Physx implementation...

It was fixed, to be much, much more hilarious.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I just wish there were more buildings you could do rooftop insertions on. That and it's sort of lame that all the little houses are fully enterable and each has a dozen rooms but the few big office buildings and hospitals basically have one stairwell and that's it, everything else is a fake door.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd rather be the autorifleman. I always preferred it in ARMA2 because A) I am a mediocre shot, more bullets mean I'm more likely to hit B) IF I miss, I can just claim to be suppressing them C) DAKKA DAKKA.

Backshooting is optional.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The simplest mission you can make for 200 people is going to be 100 people on each of two teams, placed somewhere on the map, and they go shoot eachother.

Echoing the 'do it in A2 because A3's not ready' advice. It's doable in A2 but it will take special precautions as far as connection hygiene, script stability, and, on the game design front, spreading enough action around that everyone has something fun and important to do without turning it in to a server-melting Michael Bay film red-chained slideshow.

\/\/\/

100 is far more doable, into the realm of 'mildly annoying' rather than 'insane', at least for A2. A3 still tends to eat a dick and die even at very reasonable numbers, but eventually that will probably be fixed.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 25, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

So, it's not your imagination, the Arma 3 AI really does have issues: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14905

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=14905 posted:

The AI retains a max knowsAbout value (4) for targets even after going prone and losing line of sight. It can spot an enemy easily through the edges of a bush, go prone behind that bush, then very accurately engage through the dense base of the bush, killing the target without ever being visible to the victim. They will then report that they have killed the target even though they have no way whatsoever to know this. When viewing this behavior through the AI's "INTERNAL" camera, it's clear that the AI is keeping full position and movement knowledge even when it clearly has no line of sight.

The result is that in gameplay against AI set to Regular difficulty, players commonly experience 'dying without ever seeing the enemy.' This isn't because the players aren't perceptive enough. It's because the enemy was *actually* never visible as they engaged -- bullets were coming through bushes with lethal accuracy. Many mods have increased AI dispersion to try to resolve this, but this problem is much deeper than that.

It seems like when the AI sees a bad guy, they retain perfect knowledge of it for a bit, even if they lose line of sight. When combined with their very consistent danger.fsm behavior -- go prone and shoot at him -- they see a target, go prone, and shoot it, even if they've lost visual. (For what it's worth, the danger.fsm file should have more diverse possible reactions than 'Stop to fire' -> 'Time out' or 'Destroyed' anyway. It does not appear to be complete, as several states have no scripts. Since this is the heart of the AI's reaction to contact protocol, it may be worth finishing.)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

The first mod I want is to reduce the amount of panting and wheezing my character does. I get it, I'm carrying gear and I get tired easy...I hate clearing rooms to a constant stream of noise from my idiot character.

Yeah, wheezing like a fat, asthmatic goon gets old really fast.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Thump! posted:

Yeah, with a machine gun, rocket launcher, and ammo for both, you're looking at like 45kg, which comes out to around 110 lbs. That's a shitload of loving weight to carry for any amount of time.

ACE2's fatigue system feels like an exponential effect, while A3's vanilla fatigue modelling feels linear, but seems to kick in a lot sooner than ACE2's. With ACE, lightly equipped enough, you can jog for loving ever, but with too much gear or too much running, you literally fall on your face and black out.

A3, even naked, you start wheezing and panting after a fairly moderate jog, and while more gear and more running makes it worse, it never gets as bad as ACE gets, just loving annoying to listen to.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I... honestly never thought of that.

I am pretty good with the mouse, or as good as you can be without the ability to turn left and right or look around while steering, but I do have a controller next to me.

I'll go practice and report back. But it should work, shouldn't it? Left stick replaces mouse, shoulder buttons for collective, triggers for pedals, right stick for freelook, face buttons for weapons/other poo poo...

My experience with a 360 controller is that it was significantly better than keyboard and mouse with no TIR, but not as good as keyboard and mouse with TIR. If you don't have a TIR, it's a decent in-between.

Also, confirming that TIR purchase instantly turns you into a dad-gamer.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Screenshot from the first campaign part. BRITISH FORCES! :dance:

Dunno what's going on with that weird camo. Seems odd the US forces get the current real-world British camo (MTP), while the brits in game get some strange digital pattern, but whatever.

The British dude's in some weird digital pattern, the US forces get Multicam, which is very similar to MTP: Multicam doesn't have any black in it, unlike MTP, and the blotch shapes are a little different.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

warcake posted:

MTP doesn't have any black in it, the colours are identical the pattern is just slightly different.

Ah. The wikipedia example is inaccurate, then. Looking at some actual pictures, you appear to be correct. The shapes are more DPM-y but the colors are like Multicam.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

K8.0 posted:

The idea that it's easy to find people to play with is laughable. The fact that your best suggestion is to try to schedule play several days ahead or to "find" people (lol yeah right) shows how bad it is.

Sorry it's not Call of Battlefield :shrug:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ralith posted:

This also explains why I can never kill anything when shooting through windows with 6.5mm. Why glass never breaks in this game I'll never know.

A3 has a lot of breakable glass. Just Murphy's Law that the rare occasions you find yourself needing to shoot through windows, they're the old-style transparent unobtanium windows.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DSauer posted:

Edit: Editor question. I know you can pack custom sounds into a mission file but can you also pack art assets? Like say a sign that says "Free Chem-lights!" with a backpack sitting under it that totally isn't a trap. I have this strange desire to make a series of ridiculously over the top GIJoe'esk missions.

Yep. http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setObjectTexture

Toss the image in the mission folder like you would a sound. Might take a little bit of fiddling around to find out which one of the textures in an object's texture array is the one you want to replace, but definitely possible.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's basically impossible to be an effective AT or MG trooper at the moment because you can carry three missiles or five MG belts if you're lucky, and even then you can hardly move. If they're putting even more punitive measures in, well, what's the point? What kind of machinegunner can only carry 450 rounds of ammo? You really think someone will come along to be my ammo carrier? Have you played multiplayer ArmA ever?

Yes. Just not on public servers.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe fatigue-imposed loadout limits in the base game are a good thing that will spur the community toward creating more thoughtful and interesting missions instead of 'everyone grabs as much poo poo as they can carry and kills everything they see'.

More likely everyone will just keep playing Wasteland and CTI and complain about fatigue.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The only thing that really bugs me about A3 stamina currently is how obnoxious the sound effect is.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Illuminati by Nature posted:

Can't watch the video yet but: horrible performance for Arma or horrible performance for any other game?

I suspect if you were to leave out the slowdown imparted by FRAPS, it would be on the medium-low end of performance for Arma. If you've played on Fallujah in OA, my guess is this runs a bit like that.

Probably goes all to poo poo if you add AI to it though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DSauer posted:

Its hell trying to find effective documentation for the mission editor and scripting language for this game. The moment you include the word 'mission' in a google search it just starts dumping BI's Arma PR material and Amraholic links to missions.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Main_Page

quote:

Trying to figure out if I can embed 3D assets into a mission or campaign file. The game currently doesn't have a large cargo ship or LCAC type vehicles in it for a World in Conflict type over the top mission. I'd rather distribute just one file rather than having to include a bunch of additional addons.

Pretty sure you'd have to create it as its own addon. You might be able to embed the addon in the mission file but the amount of work required would be the same and it would cause the mission file to be HUGE and take forever to load.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DSauer posted:

Yeah essentially a cliche surprise landing from cargo ships. But now that you mention it an airborne invasion would probably be pretty impressive as well.

Also infinitely easier, since there's example scripts everywhere and multiple missions that use various versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Has there ever been any ACRE-like functionality to Mumble?

I haven't heard of it for Arma. I would assume it's possible, but most likely the ACRE people started back before Mumble became as much of a ~thing~ and are now too set in their ways to change.