Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Keeku posted:

Pretty impressed that the AAF is getting three new vehicles, even if two are updated versions of Arma 2 ones. I'm working on an AAF mission at the moment so these will be great additions.

Do BI usually pump out content like this? I didn't play a huge amount of the previous games so I'm not familiar with how releases are usually handled, but it seems unusual for a game to receive ongoing updates like this after release.

Arma2/OA still got updates up until a few months ago, though I'm sure some of that was more about DayZ becoming a thing, but this is pretty normal for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's so much potential for cheap, non-camera-based head tracking but between TIR's monopoly, the complete lack of mainstream interest, and Oculus Rift mania, it'll never ever happen on the home consumer level and it makes me super sad.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lee Outrageous posted:

You know this might be easily done with an Arduino kit. The hardware components all exist and in total for all you would need is within the price range you would have to pay to get a free track or face track setup going, the only real issue then is software and assembling it.

Yeah, the price range would be similar, and you'd have the added benefit of being able to wear it anywhere on your head without worrying about line of sight to the camera.

The parts all exist and they're relatively inexpensive, I just don't have the know-how to do it, and there's not really a market for it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lee Outrageous posted:

Whether or not there is a market for it is largely irrelevant to me, I was just thinking of doing it for myself and maybe helping a few other goons get one up and going. But yeah, if anyone does know how to get it to talk to the tracking software something like that I think it would be a pretty nice little device.

Talking out my butt here but seems like you could either build off of FreeTrack, which is open source (albeit in Pascal, apparently), for the TIR emulation and curve editing and poo poo and try to feed it your values instead of it deducing them from the camera data, or try to roll your own joystick emulation?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

Do they have manly voices?

I'm sure BIS doesn't like that mod because it puts women into combat roles.

Instead of being literally categorized as a subclass of animals.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

FTNIR is very sensitive to lighting and face shape. So if you wear glasses, have bad lighting, and a slightly lumpy face, it turns from 'free ersatz TIR' to 'autism simulator 2014'

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

PoorHobo posted:

Is this a problem with face tracking in general, or JUST FTNR? If I was to buy a Track IR, would I have this problem, I guess is the message that I am trying to get across.

It happens the most with FTNIR, with the TrackIR, it's only direct sunlight that seems to cause it if you're using the proclip, it seems a little more iffy if you're using the reflector hat. Making sure your curves are set well and knowing your reset and pause keys will help a lot.

The other thing about the TIR is if it's not detecting three lights, it stops sending input and generally resets your in-game head, so sometimes you can quickly cover the clip with your hand if someone suddenly opens the door and your in game head starts suddenly sucking your own dick while spinning in circles.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

When I went to Japan a while back I was in an Arcade that had a Metal Gear FPS game that used Track IR combined with one of those plastic toy guns that you'd use to aim at the screen.

I found it pretty annoying, actually. The only way for me to turn my head and look elsewhere was to physically turn my head... but despite doing that, I still had to look at the screen in front of me.

So in order to look left in the game, I have to look at the screen out of the corner of my eyes (I'm exageratting this but I think you get the point). I didn't like that at all. It was very uncomfortable.

So sorry but I would advise against the Track IR stuff for this reason.

When you actually control it, you can set the curves however you want!!!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Protip: Many servers only allow certain mods, or no mods at all.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jf2tG7ty0Q

If you really insist, it's totally possible.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Knowing Bohemia, Arma 3 will probably be getting updates right up until the week before Arma 4 comes out, whenever that ends up being, so I wouldn't worry too much about things being unfixably :dice:. Go find relevant bug reports on the tracker and upvote them, or create one if there isn't. They usually eventually address those.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Why bother making a mod for it at all? Do it within the mission, start with CSAT units and just replace all their gear with FIA stuff in their inits. Copy+paste is your friend.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Pff, nah, it can't, the only way to land a helicopter in ArmA is to turn on auto hover and hold Z until you hit the floor.

If you're advanced you stop pressing Z slightly early so you can take off again afterwards but you have to be really good to know how to do that because there's like no way to tell how low you are or anything.

You sound kinda bad.

Or was that sarcasm?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

360 controller is probably the easiest to get used to for general farting about, but to learn how to land (to land properly, and not land by turning on auto-hover and holding 'descend' like a loving scrub) and do hot poo poo stuff you'll want to use keyboard and mouse.

I highly recommend TrackIR as probably the best bang-for-the-buck immersion and utility improvement you can get. Wish more games that had freelook used the TrackIR but no such luck. Euro Truck Simulator is TIR compatible, too, at least!

Dslyecxi raves about his pedals but I wouldn't go out and buy some just for Arma. If you happen to have some or happen to want some for some other flightsim, then using them for Arma is good.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's sarcasm.

Just checking. I've heard that opinion expressed unironically before.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Obsidius posted:

Just got my TrackIR5 delivered earlier today and wow, even after seeing people using it in videos on YouTube I didn't expect it to be so drat good. Loaded up the editor with a bunch of ground and air vehicles to see what it's like and it really does make a difference. I always use the mouse for fine movement adjustments and when landing it's always been a choice of either making fine adjustments with the mouse when landing or alt+mouse for looking around and I didn't realise how much of a bitch that was until now. Also the Hunter is for me the worst vehicle to drive because the view is so crap but even that felt somewhat improved. Think that has really surprised me was that it's playable right out of the box on default settings and although I will spend some time later adjusting the settings to get it working just how I want it, I can't see that taking long. On foot I can imagine I will be much more aware of my surroundings using this than I was before just for the fact it's so natural. What people have said about the track clip pro is right though, thats one fragile little piece of crap that I will have to handle with kid gloves though as it'll probably break if I even look at it wrong. Just tried it with Elite too and :aaaaa: it's just changed the game for me for the better.

:getin:

Soon you will find yourself turning your head while watching youtube videos and being momentarily confused when it doesn't work. It really is about 80% of what the Oculus Rift offers with none of the downsides.

But yes, the trackclip pro will explode if you look at it funny. That said it's actually pretty easy to put back together as long as none of the wires inside are damaged

Does anyone have that one image that got posted somewhere in this thread way back when where it gave the tip of how you can lean over while facing away from a corner and then turning your head around to peak the corner safely?

It's so hard to find useful poo poo that got posted more than a few pages back.

Chortles posted:

Probably useful for those of you who play first-person-only:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Come in fast, get on the ground and back off the ground as quickly and efficiently as possible, and if you're taking more fire than you're comfortable with, land someplace safer.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Looks like the bulk of it is about one or two steps up from flight simulator quality terrain, with regular-sized inset maps of high detail.

Given how poorly Altis tends to run, I'm not sure it would ever be particularly workable for actual fun vidjagame stuff.

(It is really neat though)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sappo569 posted:

Actually that reminds me, has anyone done a total conversion for all the guns/units/vehicles from Operation Arrowhead to Arma3?

I hate the sci-fi futuristic crap in Arma3, I just want M4's and Russians! :bahgawd:

There's quite a few mods out there that do what you want, sorta.

I heartily recommend the HLC gun packs: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?172850-Toadie-s-SmallArms-and-Animations-for-Arma3

And Killoch's Multinational Pack for some good gear retextures: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?182109-Killoch-s-MultiNational-Pack

The HLC AKs are particularly juicy.

Not much yet on the vehicle front though. Sooner or later. There might be some out there already but I haven't tried any.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 17, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The vehicles are the really lacking spot in mods right now. I don't know if it's just that A3 vehicles are just so much more complicated, or if people are holding off for all the DLC-introduced changes so they don't have to keep changing the vehicle configs or what.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

As LCL-Dead sort of mentions, turning your graphics options down in order to increase your framerate can have a paradoxical effect with Arma, by shunting the degraded graphics options to the already overtaxed CPU instead of running full prettiness graphics off the GPU.

That said I play Arma 3 with a now-fairly-outdated i5 2500k, 8GB RAM and GTX570, and it's really not bad. Too many AI around murders my framerate, but it's quite playable on rather high graphics settings. Fairly steady 40fps, at least.

If you're having framerate issues and have an equivalent or better GPU, I strongly encourage you to loving crank your graphics settings, particularly shadows.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Flaky posted:

This seems like a very important point being made here. Is there an Arma 3 modding/scripting thread?

Not on Something Awful, as far as I know. The BIS forums probably have a whole subforum for it. There's probably not enough goon interest in A3 for having a whole separate thread for it but there's probably enough knowledge in here to have coherent discussions (and little enough other traffic that I wouldn't think it'd be a huge disruption).

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chortles posted:

Rumor is that the A2 devs had the female characters' AI inherit from that of the animals. :stare:

Well, that's clearly not the case, since snakes can open doors and thus can actually leave the kitchen. :v:

Vahakyla posted:

Pretty much my thoughts.

Comedy relief: BI forums discussions on why the game should not have women.

I don't even want to imagine. The devs' comments on the topic were :catstare: enough.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

As someone with a rudimentary introduction to animation that would irritate the absolute hell out of me in motion. Also a lot of the uniforms are topless so you'd have some weird looking t shirts.

Although, squirrel-pitched burly man-voices would be quite funny.

Contrary to what videogames may have taught you, most women do not, in fact, have jiggle-physics tits, anatomically-impossibly-tiny waists, or bangin' heart-shaped booties that sway side to side like a horse while they stripper-strut through a combat zone on tactical 4" heels.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Slippery slope to ACE Earplugs.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chortles posted:

:getin::unsmigghh:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've got an i5 2500k and GTX570 and I get framerates in the solid 40-50s on all but the highest graphics settings. You'll be fine with pretty much any recent-ish gaming computer.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 22, 2016

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

leekster posted:

You play in the wrong groups.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sauer posted:

Are these Socom crazies still active? How have goons not trolled the poo poo out of them?

Has BiS ever given a reason for not having female models in Arma in TYOL 2016? I get they might not want to deal with "WOMENS IN MA INFANTRY MOS RAARAAA!" idiocy; but it would be nice if the residents of Altis didn't hide their women worse than Saudis do.

They've given a lot of different answers, ranging from "we didn't want people to shoot women" to "women shouldn't have guns" to "we didn't want to have to animate a whole other character model."

Honestly I'd rather have the complete absence than the patently absurd A2 situation where there were totally female character models but all they could do was walk, jog, and lay on the ground.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Stupid question: why would the women require different character models? Just say they're all wearing sports bras, make a few new face textures, say they're all really butch in 2035 or whatever, and you're good imo.

Apparently Bohemia beg to differ!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

Some VBS dude spent some minimal time working on it and apparently it wasn't really hard at all, some adjustment to animations and that's about it. It's just a BIS thing about no women in fighting roles iirc. Which leads to female civilian characters who basically are treated like animal units who have limited actions... which I don't see being a better alternative.

Yeah. I called Dwarden out about it like a year ago and "but animating another model is :effort:" was his response.

And yeah, I definitely agree that the female civilians being treated like animal units is worse than simply not having them at all.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's fictional, but inspired by Fiji IIRC. I guess they didn't want to get arrested again.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There are some bridges on Tanoa, as well, so you're not completely screwed without a boat.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The AI can be a little bit retarded, so playing against other players tends to be a bit more challenging. On the other hand, there's a lot of super bullshit stuff that isn't all that fun to be on the receiving end of as a player, so playing against AI is a good time to bring out the big guns and watch cool poo poo blow up.

UO has something of a reputation of taking it a bit too far with notoriously long briefings and a bit much milsim stuff for most peoples' tastes. Also Love Stole the Day has something of a reputation of hopping on random servers, acting like an rear end in a top hat, getting banned, then making posts about "lol milsim spergs :jerkbag:"

:v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

On one hand, jets have always been jank as gently caress in Arma, so an actual improvement to them would be really nice. On the other hand, I have strong doubts about BIS's ability/willingness to actually meaningfully improve them. We'll see. :shrug:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gromit posted:

Not DLC related, but would it hurt the engine so much for vehicle colours to be consistent across clients? It's taken my group quite some time, with quite a lot of confused yelling, to discover that the red ATV over there might be a different colour for another player. You're sending location updates, server - why not an extra byte for the colour!?

It's the default color randomization. If you want colors to be consistent across clients, you can disable the automatic randomization. If you want colors to be randomly varied but consistent across clients, you can disable the automatic randomization and then write your own spawn script that randomly picks between the specified colors.

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/207741-clients-see-different-colours-for-same-car/

Why the default color randomization works by having the clients decide the appearance locally instead of on the server and then syncing that, I don't loving know. But it's not an engine limitation that color can't be synced, just an odd implementation of random vehicle colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Your problems will be more CPU-based than graphics, but it should be playable (though maybe only at 30 fps), depending on exactly how much poo poo you have going on.

Crowded multiplayer servers with lots of players in close vicinity, or trying to do singleplayer stuff with lots and lots and lots of active AI (or hosting your own multiplayer, particularly if it's multiplayer WITH lots of ai) is likely to be unpleasant, but unless you're one of those "Never Less Than 60 Frames" people you'll probably be OK.