Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ToastyPotato posted:

Any in depth info on the mission editor? Will it be easier than previous installments? Or do we still have to know scripting and crap?

Easier? It's already the easiest mission editor I've personally ever used. I was able to use it when I was 11 in the OFP days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Day one buy, especially since they have the editor.

The editor is all I've ever used in these games for the last 12 years.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

This is going to be the best game ever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I just dumped my 45GB install of Arma 2. I don't think I can go back after trying Arma 3.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

tooterfish posted:

The CAS Buzzard sucks because it's not an A10, there I said it.

Every plane ever made sucks because they almost always aren't A-10s.

A-10 DLC please BIS?

The Hatchback sport is loving hilarious. I drove it down the airstrip and it got 200 mp/h by the time the runway ended. That dinky little Honda Fit looking thing can lay down some serious rubber without even losing any fuel.

I felt like I was playing Top Gear: The Altis Special.

Edit: Wait wait wait. Today's patch was all the release content? Are you loving serious? How does NATO not have a single jet when 75% of their doctrine since the 80s has been air power?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 5, 2013

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Vadoc posted:

Isn't this a future where NATO and Western nations are being poor compared to the upsurge of the other guys and were pulling their forces back, decommissioning the bases on the islands? No jets because they're not in the operating theater.

Sounds like they're weaseling out of making jets. There isn't a single carrier in the entire Med? Iran didn't deploy any air assets in Anatolia?

It's not like they've never made jets before.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wish they still had a surrendering module. lovely rebels shouldn't want to fight you to the death. Hell, most troops should not fight tot the death

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Bananana posted:

You bet your rear end. It's actually pretty cool to paint a target, and call in a buzzard pilot for a good old fashioned weenie roast out of what used to be your target. You can paint anything, men, tanks, radiotowers, even terrain, and better yet, released bombs continue to aim for the laser, so you can follow moving targets, and still nail 'em. :)

Any kind of CCIP system that would allow you to drop bombs without pretending you're flying a Stuka is however still not in the loving game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

...A-10s, in my Arma 3?

Where? I have some tanks requiring some serious 30mm bustafazoo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I found out that cars in Arma 3 have a handbrake.

Naturally the second I find this I'm in the sport hatchback drifting around corners.

This actually would make a pretty serviceable rally or toge game actually. I even made a little AAA system where you can call a repair truck when you inevitably run wide and kill your car on a rock.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The DLC

My immersion :qq:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

What's with all the weird cartridges in the new (and original) guns in 3? Why are they using .338 Lapua in a machine gun? You would think armies in a world in a global crisis that almost certainly has to do with resources would continue to use ammo they already massive stockpiles of like 7.62 :spergin:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder why BIS's engine never really likes inland water features like that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

It's May 10th, that was the default date in OFP's editor!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://github.com/acemod/ACE3/releases/tag/v3.0.0

ACE 3 is now officially released :dance:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If I can digress to Arma 2 for a second.

What the hell was BIS's problem with the Czech Army DLC? I played with the CZ-75s, and they all sound different despite firing the same ammunition. The most egregious thing of all is that the CZ-75 compact uses the same sound as the AKM! You would think they would have some kind of pride in their work given that it's their own country's army and equipment. :spergin:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I've been making missions in the editor since the OFP days.

The Eden editor is like a dream. You can get everything just right without all the trial and error. I can put people on roofs without having setpos in the clipboard. I can stock a helicopter by clicking and dragging instead of using group arrays.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Also, loadouts inside the editor. That was awesome when I discovered it.

Oh my God the loadout editor. No more spawning something close to what I want and then going through ammo boxes to play with the guns. Everything is right there and I can play pretty pretty princess with my soldier.

They seriously knocked it out of the park with the Eden editor, just like they did with the 2D editor 15 years ago.

As for helicopters dumping guys off, find the helipad invisible object in the editor and plop it where you want it to land if you haven't already.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I kind of wish tanks was coming out before jets, as they're closer to the core infantry game. Then again jets are probably closer to reach and they want to bring them in closer to the game since now they're kind of an afterthought to most scenarios.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah it doesn't help that the maps as big as they are are still small enough to be completely dominated by just one modern fighter jet. Realistically it would be so bristling with SAMs (that also can dominate the airspace from just one location) and AAA that nobody would be flying.

Speaking of jets. I remember as a kid playing Novalogic games how cool it would be to also play as the pilot once you ejected and hit the ground. I just realized my wish had been granted a long ago already, OFP/Arma is that game :allears:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

How the heck do you land a VTOL? I understand helicopters, but I keep trading speed for altitude and altitude for speed, it's very hard to begin a proper descent. It doesn't help the CSAT version in the showcase can really haul rear end.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Budzilla posted:

I am surprised no one has posted about the Malden update.

It is very good remake but sort of loses its 'East European' flavour from the original OFP. Many assets from Arma 3 base is reused here although the many of the trees look different compared to the ones Altis.

Whenever I play, I do it on Malden as much as possible because it's so pretty. I've been using it with the new IF3 Airborne asset and pretending it's Sicily.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You can use the editor and plop down whatever you want to try. You can move around the entire island freely and practice .

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

So it looks like ARMA3: Orange has been officially named and released. "Laws of War", which focuses on a humanitarian faction. Also, kinda jarringly, cluster bombs and minefields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwU0Hnch_28
https://arma3.com/dlc/lawsofwar

That's really cool and a fresh perspective. Most devs would probably be like "here's some more hardware or uniforms".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I just wanna get the 2nd DLC bundle at a discount.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I impulse bought the DLC pack and spent like an hour bombing the poo poo out of a Malden town with cluster bombs and playing with the UXO drone.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Knobb Manwich posted:

Laws of War is legitimately good too. It's the only campaign I've finished since OFP Resistance.

It sure is. They've come a long way.

UXO is loving annoying, and that's probably the point. I was in the editor and had planes just carpeting a city with cluster bombs. When I moved in I didn't get not get a block into the city before I got my whole squad killed by a bomblet.

Of course in real life nobody is dropping dozens of them in a half hour on one spot and then is stupid enough to wander right in, but still.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Ooooh.

I wonder if someone will mod in sonobuoys :allears:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I didn't want the Contact DLC.

But then I realized I could make the aliens race in the go karts and that would be the best thing ever.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 8, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Nenonen posted:

As someone who spent endless hours playing Operation Flashpoint, I would really love to go back to Everon where all buildings are enterable and terrain has more definition. And a new engine of course.

It's a glorified tech demo today on release. I imagine it'll become more fleshed out by the year's end.

Also this is the new engine :pcgaming: . Looking forward to trying it eventually. I too have fond memories of Everon and I still remember the spots I used to make camps at in the OFP editor. No enemies, just chilling around a fire in the woods.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

:catstare:

Yeah I'm definitely waiting then. The editor is the main attraction for me with these games and always has been. I still remember and use commands I learned in 2002 lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

How are the interiors? Arma has always fallen short with that due to the clipping and pathing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Watched someone dick around with Reforger on Twitch. I'm honestly impressed. The gunplay still has the Arma 'feel' to it, I can tell that it's there, but the movement and animations look much much better than I ever expected and the interiors of buildings actually kinda work and there's stuff in there now! You can even flush toilets! I'm looking forward to seeing that interaction system more fleshed out and modded up, think of ACE medical or aircraft :pcgaming:

If this is what they're building Arma 4 out of, that's gonna be the game I upgrade my graphics card for and look forward too. It really looks next level, even compared to Arma 3 which is still no slouch.

Gabrielite posted:

Since it hasn't been posted yet, Dslyexci posted a video going over many of the changes of Reforger vs the previous Arma series and going over what he'd like to see in the future. I'd encourage people on the fence to watch it, it's pretty thorough. (37 min long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC6b-HdmWKs

God drat, that guy has been around since the OFP days. I remember using his mods, some of which were arguably essential.

Antigravitas posted:

It seems to be a bit too planned to be just a quick cash grab. I think they are just not entirely confident in their entire platform that they need to be in place if they want to do a big Arma 4 release. They've changed everything about the game's underpinning, so it makes sense to release a smaller "vertical slice" type thing

Especially if mods made for Reforger are easy to move to a future Arma 4. They've really been stressing the modding aspect and I bet they want to have a suite of mods ready for Arma 4.

Yeah they've done this with the expressed intent of letting modders get used to the new engine and start building poo poo now.

As for the 30 buck price point, if it's too steep it'll surely go on sale. This is a chance to support the devs and for them to gauge interest.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Depending on what is in Arma 4 and how long it’ll take, it seems reasonable they wouldn’t offer a discount tbh

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm gonna need the editor to smash the army mans together from the foregoing 6 games before I buy in ya.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah but you'd have to do it in a way that ensures plausible deniability. It'd be real suspicious if CNN correspondents keep dying whenever a hospital blows up, you know.

CNN will apologize the journalist got in the way or sullied someone’s uniform with their mangled pieces, going by previous history

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Bananana posted:

You know what keeps bringing my mind back to this game?

The idea of a serious SAR/CSAR mod.

For civilian stuff, you could like...
Add in like a MH-65 Dauphin, and have a modified Blackhawk with a litter

Have controls and commands for a crew chief to be able to lower/raise the litter.

Have a diver available to drop from the bird for sea rescues.

Have killer seas, with huge waves and such like you see in The Perfect Storm...

And have that plus live fire for CSAR? Man... :discourse:

Yeah... that'd be neat.

Does it exist already?

Did you play the Search and Rescue games from the early 2000s too?

I remember playing Novalogic games and thinking how cool it would be to be able to control the pilot after ejection, and it was years before I realized Operation Flashpoint (and subsequent) was that game already lol.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

Does Stormworks fit the bill at all for a SAR game, albeit without combat? I've not had a chance to try it and seems pretty indepth for the minecrafty construction part, but curious to know if there's actual enough content (i.e. things "to do" with the stuff you build).

I’ve played quite a bit of it. You can download a bunch of prefab stuff from the workshop, which can be fairly high quality and go into all kinds of niche reproductions.

The SAR gameplay is there kinda but it’s not very fleshed out and doesn’t work that great. They’ve been focusing on oil rig stuff lately and that may come with some more SAR events but I haven’t tried that part. Npcs won’t get in a harness you need to cram them in while say your helicopter is still flying if it has an autopilot that works, MP is available but I’ve never used it.

It’s fun but very much a make your own fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The Morse code in the trailer refers to operation cobra, which started at the end of July 1944. So most likely coming soon.

I like that these exist but I was kinda underwhelmed with Prairie Fire, since I play single player and there isn’t much to do other than bash the assets together in the editor like Gi joes.