Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Bajaha posted:

I've got a lot of updating to do, but just a quick sneak peek for now:

Got the Baja back from painting Friday morning, which left me only a few hours before I was dropping it off at the car show. I quickly put the rest of the interior and a few parts of the exterior back together and then wen't for a quick detail. Of course it had to rain on Friday pretty much all day so after I threw the parts on I made my way to my friends garage where I could detail it out of the rain. When I arrived there it stopped raining, go figure.

Well, it got dropped off at Driven, and yesterday I spent most of the day at the show. There were some really nice cars and it was cool to talk to most of the owners but the show lasted for 9 hours, I was only there for 6, and to tell the truth it got kinda boring after a while, just a tiring day at the end of it. But I left the show smiling like a fool, the Baja won Best in Show Import Modified!

I'll write up a more detailed post later on in the week... probably.

I unironically love that scoop. Nice work, and congrats on the win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Remember this day, everybody - it's the day a Subaru Baja won at an auto show.

We will never again in our lives experience this.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Haha, thanks. There will be an actual update soon, hopefully this week, but I'll just leave this here:

New suspension is on, no more comical body roll or lift during acceleration :( Just needs an alignment now.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Love it. Should have been a factory option.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I thought you could get them turbo stock? Maybe not with a MY?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Larrymer posted:

I was talking about the seemingly enormous hood scoop.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Every car needs a hood scoop that's the same size as the radiator grille!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That thing sounds mean as hell, that rules.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

Haha, thanks. There will be an actual update soon, hopefully this week, but I'll just leave this here:

New suspension is on, no more comical body roll or lift during acceleration :( Just needs an alignment now.

Holy poo poo.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So happy to see this pretty much wrapped up. The car looks great!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

BAJA HA

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Larrymer posted:

You could, in '04-06 model years, iirc. It's not the same engine he threw in though, and only put out 210hp stock compared to the 227hp that WRXs that year had and however many STis had.

I guess what I'd wonder about is why he didn't use a turbo baja or outback hood, but it looks good as is so...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks for the compliments, I'm really happy to be finally driving it on a regular basis, only downside is that every other car I get into feels really slow, I guess that's not that bad of a negative. I know I'll have a lot of learning to do at autoX since before I could keep it flat out pretty much the entire course, but now it has enough power to swing out the back when on throttle :dance:

The 04-06 had a turbo trim but it was really under tuned, I've heard something about them having an STI bottom end but I can't confirm that, It probably would have been easier to get a turbo Baja and throw some mods on it but oh well, this has been a huge learning experience and it's definitely one of a kind, and hindsight 20/20 and all that jazz. The 00-04 Outback didn't come with a turbo/hoodscoop in north america and I didn't use a turbo baja hood since the scoop is hilariously undersized and I'm fairly certain the splitter would end up in the wrong spot for where the intercooler sits. Plus custom is better :colbert:

Found a pic online that's roughly the same view to compare the stock vs my creation.

VS

So time to play catch-up. Last week I was working on the hood, had it primed and all good to go for paint, I had just sanded down the rear corners a little to shape them a little so that they would blend in a little nicer, I must have made it too thin because later that night I had noticed that the corners cracked, just a small crack but there's no way I can easily fix it. I ended up undoing all the work that was just done and throwing on another 3 layers of fiber along each corner and then covering the entire scoop in a layer of fiber. After another long process of sanding, body filler, and more sanding, I primed the hood again and this is what I got:

I ran out of body filler on Sunday and I ran down to the local partsource to grab a small tin of the stuff since Rondex was closed. Huge mistake. I mixed and put on the partsource body filler and waited for it to cure. 10 mins still soft as putty, 30 mins no change so I mixed in much more hardener since it was still soft, 3 hours later I scrape it off, takes an hour or two to get it off :argh: Had to scrape as much as I could off and then used 40 grit to get it off but it kept clogging up the pad. Wasted an entire night playing with that poo poo.

Monday morning I buy the good stuff and then got on with the work. The hood goes in for paint on Wednesday, and I was supposed to pick it up on Friday morning but it turns out the clear was still too soft to handle in the morning so I end up picking up the car and the hood Friday around noon.

Bolted down the hood and drove home since I had a lot more work to finish before the show.
When I said that wiring can be nightmare, here's what an electricians hell looks like

As I mentioned the WRX main rear wiring harness connector is on the drivers side, while the Baja one is on the passenger side. I've got to run wires through the dash to merge both sides. there's still alot to connect and I can't do the solder connections yet since I want to have everything hooked up so that I don't end up with excessive length wires. Anyone know a source to get a variety pack of wires? all I've got is wires that are color coded by gauge, which will end up with an indecipherable harness if I keep using the red wires.

Well once that unholy mess was zip tied, electrical taped, and hidden away behind some interior trim panels, it was ready for a good cleaning before the show. Quick clean and a quick wax later, it looks almost brand new.

As I've said earlier, I displayed it at Driven

Had the hood half propped to show of the engine and show off the scoop, ended up running down my battery since I decided to leave the gauges illuminated.

There were some cool cars so I'll throw some of the pictures here, I had forgotten to charge my camera :doh: so I only snapped one or two pictures before it died, so the pictures below were taken by a friend.

And the award I received, surprisingly hard to take a picture of with a cellphone. Have to really charge my camera...

There's still a laundry list of things to finish with the car. Electrically I have to get the power seats, heated seats and mirrors, power mirrors, power locks, sunroof, dome and puddle lights, and I think that's it. It also needs a stronger pressure plate, the current one is rated for 308ft-lbs, I have a new one that's rated for 425ft-lbs but I need a different flywheel for it to fit, thankfully it's already on the way. Also have to play with the grill, the hood release interferes with it slightly so I'll have to modify it so it fits better, plus there's a lot of rough edges on it that need to be fixed so that fits perfect. I am really fond of the WRX emblem on the side so I'm keeping that. Originally had the Subaru logo there but I think the WRX looks nicer.

That's all for now, I'll update again when more things happen.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
We demand a good in car driving video. That thing is awesome!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Bajaha posted:

Anyone know a source to get a variety pack of wires?

I usually go to the junkyard for automotive project wire. Cars are usually a good place to find good quality wire in hundreds of colours that costs next to nothing. Only good for shorter lengths, of course!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I usually need about 5 to 10ft lengths, I took some from the junked wiring harness but some of the wires seem hilariously under spec for the power that's supposed to run through them, I guess low duty cycles let them get away with it but I'm not too comfortable with such thin wires.

And it sucks but a few months ago the local junkyard's insurance changed their policy and there's no more pick and pull yards around, except for one that almost exclusively stocks 80's and 90's cars. Gone are the days of scavenging your own stuff at the junkyard, and the prices reflect that they do the pulling :(

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Noooooooo. Which ones changed? I'm sure Bucks is still the same.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

As far as I know bucks is the last one, team is now over the counter only, same with all the other yards that are in that group. Team used to have a few outbacks that I've scavenged parts from, but now it's cheaper to get stuff shipped from the states than buying local

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Bajaha posted:

it's cheaper to get stuff shipped from the states than buying local

Winnpeg.txt (I'm leaving for Menke's in 5 minutes, haha)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Quick update:

Took it for an alignment and the front wheel bearings are a little loose. Makes sense since I used the rollover hubs, junkyard's wanted $120 each, cheaper from a few in the states but I'd spend the difference on import tax and shipping. Ended up buying a new set from Subaru for $160 each. Oh well, could be worst.

Trying to track down a full set of bushings for the rear since they've seen better days. It's proving difficult since the ones I need aren't in stock in north America

Took some Instagram quality photo's in the mean time

Also hauled out the scrap from the old Impreza a few pieces I had from an old civic, ended up being a little over 1000lbs, not worth too much but better than nothing

And found out that an engine hoist is a multi use tool

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Trying to track down a full set of bushings for the rear since they've seen better days. It's proving difficult since the ones I need aren't in stock in north America

If you have some part numbers, I could check the UK. It would be easy for me to stick them in a padded envelope and mail them to you. PM me if you're interested.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Did you have any issues with turbo fitment around the firewall? I'm thinking of selling my 3rd gen sedan for a 3rd gen wagon and just dropping in a turbo motor and doing the wiring in my apartment because I hate money and myself.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

No fitment issues that I've run into, the wiring for engine harness runs through the firewall kinda close but I've thrown a blanket and a shield on the turbo and tucked the wiring as far as possible to help. Otherwise no problems, there's quite a decent amount of room between the downpipe and the trans tunnel, more than enough to stick your hand down there and tinker. You might have to get a turbo Baja crossmember like I did so that the uppipe fits since I don't think there's one specifically for those legacies.

And thanks for the offer, I don't have plat but I'll probably end up buying it soon to get pm's. Doesn't seem like anything's in stock here :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This is a really cool thread. I'm not a car guy or have anywhere near the know how to do something like this so I really am impressed with what you accomplished. You got yourself a really sweet Subaru there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

.. I still have the Altima parts I bought from you. :haw:

I really should try and sell those lights.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks, it's always nice to hear compliments :)

And I'm surprised you still have them, would have thought you would have gotten rid of them when you got the ion. I've still got my altima, the rear main is leaking like sieve so the clutch gets a nice bath. Holds about as much torque as you'd expect. Hopes and dreams seem to be holding the rusty body together so far.

I'll hopefully be able to get a good video to show off the exhaust sometime soon.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire
I've been following this post since last year. I wasn't really sure if it was going to be completed when I originally saw just a stock baja + wrecked wrx.

Jesus christ, I was wrong as poo poo. Not only did you do it but it looks amazing. Seriously, looks like the car is some sort of crazy, unreleased, JDM Baja STi Spec RA.

The best is how the scoop flows with the hood. Years ago I got a larger scoop for my (well, sold years ago) wrx for better airflow over the stock slit and it looked like a thumb sticking up in the middle of the hood:

http://i.imgur.com/erSVj8f.jpg
(as seen in it's natural habitat, gears broken and on a flatbed)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh, I've definitely had a few moments where this project just seemed like too much, or I had an almost overwhelming urge to throw a wrench through the windscreen but somehow it made it. That's an awesome compliment, thanks. The stock look is exactly what I was shooting for, everything I've done to it has been done with the thought that it should have come stock this way. I was originally planning on just cutting a hole in the hood and plopping in one of the scoops I bought, but my fiance convinced that this would look better, and I think she was right. Doesn't look too obnoxious when you view it from the drivers seat, outside maybe a little, but I definitely agree about liking how it blends into the hood. I really wish they actually made something like a JDM Baja STi Spec RA, would make finding performance parts much easier :v:

And here's a quick video I took tonight, doesn't really capture the sound very well but it gives you guys an idea. I'll have to get an external mic of some sort for the camera, just using the tiny built in one and it's not great for capturing the sound of driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKT9z_G-W3A

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Just a quick update for now. Just arrived in Calgary last night and took the Baja to get tuned today. Went to Sunny @ Airboy Tuning and he threw the car on the Dyno and I am impressed. Had a great experience and Sunny is definitely very knowledgeable and takes pride in his work, I'd definitely recommend him if you're around Calgary and in need of a tune.

Baja started out at 243awhp and ended up at 270awhp. I am definitely grinning like mad everytime I drive, it's so much smoother through the rev range and pulls like a freight train. It's shy of the 300 I was shooting for but honestly it's perfect as is, probably was more than fast enough before the tune. For comparison a stock 2010 WRX puts down around 205-215awhp on his Dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26JJb__W-kA

More Pictures and automotive updates to follow once I'm back from my vacation/rocky mountain adventure.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'm going to eventually end up down there to get my car tuned as well - how much did the whole process cost, if you don't mind me asking?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

quote:

Anyone know a source to get a variety pack of wires?

I have found that 90's model Lexus wiring harnesses are about the highest quality you can find in the junkyards as far as wiring goes...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The tune ended up being just over $500 for a 94 map and a detuned 91 map for when I can't find husky 94 gas. Not bad at all for gaining around 30whp and knowing the tune is safe and custom to the car and not jut an OTS tune. Got a compliment from Sunny after he had the car tuned, he was expecting it to be much harder to tune because most of the swaps that show up give him so much trouble but apparently the Baja was easy and pain free.

And I'll have to hunt for lexuses (lexi?) at junkyards when I'm back in Winnipeg, I tried pitching the idea of going to a junkyard while out in Alberta and BC but that idea was promptly shot down... oh well.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've probably said it before, but I love your loving car. Great work. One day when I am in Greenland or wherever you live I will ask for a ride.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks! If anybody is ever local to me and wants to check out the Baja feel free to msg me.

Anyway, I took a 2.5 week trip out to Calgary and B.C. to get the Baja tuned and to go for a nice vacation in the mountains. The trip was a lot of fun, and an insane amount of driving. I think I ended up trying to put too much into the short trip so it was a lot of time driving through amazing scenic roads and not enough exploring.

But I digress, onto pictures since everyone loves to look at pictures and not so much reading :p

Saskatchewan was ... flat.

I ended up doing the Winnipeg to Calgary stretch in 1 day there and 1 day at the end of the trip, there's not much to the prairies and there's no reason to extend that stretch to 2 days if I didn't need to.

Arrived in Calgary safe and sound, and the next day took it to Airboy tuning to get it tuned. Awesome experience and would definitely recommend him to anyone who needs a tune. It's worth the trip.

While the car was on the Dyno we waited in a little side room, on the computer there I found this

found it amusing (I think it's pretty much universal that into cars = topgear fan) and watched a few episodes while waiting for everything to get done.

Here's a video of one of the dyno runs. The video doesn't begin to capture just the shear volume of the noises that the car was making.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwaSxP37Kuk

And once all was said and done, the Baja is now proven to make 270whp and 312wtq as I've posted before.

Not too shabby, it's shy of the 300whp I was shooting for, but honestly it's more than enough power and holy does the car ever run nice with this tune. Couldn't be happier, and quite a nice increase for just a tune.

After Calgary wen't through crowsnest HWY 3 by the border to get to vancouver, went across the ferry to Gibson and stayed there with family friends. Took a day trip to Whistler and then went to stay in Vancouver itself, after that I went up through the sea to sky HWY and then back down to Kelowna, up to Kamloops and then through HWY 5 to Jasper then Down HWY 1 to Banff and back to Calgary. Ended with over 6000km of driving on this trip. Was quite the adventure.

When I was in Blue River BC, I got stuck behind a train while looking for a campsite for the night. It was one of those ridiculously long rocky mountain trains and it stopped when it was halfway through the crossing, was stuck there for about 45 mins waiting for this to pass. No cell reception so I couldn't google map the area to find which place to stay and everywhere we checked so far was booked.

Ended up driving through the night for another 40km or so and found a lodge in the middle of nowhere. Ended up being one of the best places we stayed the entire trip.

In non-automotive related news I saw some cool sights
Old school snowmobile by the Athabaskan glacier

Crazy buses that took us onto the glacier so we could explore and drink some of the crisp cool glacial water. 6x6 full lockers, massive tires, and air suspension to adjust the level on the bus to let it scale up to 36% grade hills. Twas a fun experience.

In Gibson, BC went to a local market and saw these little guys, was tempted to pick one up but didn't have anywhere to put it.

Saw this little scamp on the side of the highway, he had quite a crowd stopped and watching him.

In the Okanogan valley we ended up going to a fancy winery and learned much about all things wine.

When in whistler we took the gondola and then a ski lift to get to the summit, when we went there was cloud cover at the summit. I am not a huge fan of heights, the gondola is no problem but when it feels like all that's holding me on the lift is a small tab of metal gripping the cable and I could slip off the seat at any moment, I am not a fan of heights. Going through a cloud near the top and not being able to see the ground was not helping either.

Oh, and the things you find in a small town candy shop

Took a helicopter ride in said small town and because of wind conditions we couldn't fly the regularly charted route and got special permission from parks Canada to fly over the city of Banff and lake Minnewanka. It was incredible, breathtaking views.

Managed to even get some nice shots of the car while out there

When I was back in Calgary, ended up helping a friend get his new $25 65" projection TV from the other side of town. It fit just perfect in the back, somehow left the ratchet straps in his condo so all I had a small bit of twine to secure it, because of the heaviness of the base and the fact that it was a nice tight fit we took it slow and got it back to his place. Oh, the poo poo I do on vacation...

Unfortunately I had a few casualties on this trip. The rear wheel bearing on the passenger side started making noise and now sounds like a helicopter at highway speeds, and it chewed through a set of tires. I'm one of those idiots who ruins a car by lowering it :( It ate through the set since the alignment wasn't done before I left and the tires were plus sized on the Baja originally so when I dropped it on the new suspension the tires interfered with the bottom spring perch when they were loaded (I guess the sidewall flexed enough in turns to cause them to rub on the perch), unless they're cambered to the max +ve setting which I did partway through the trip when I noticed the wear. It's on the all-season set of wheels now which have smaller tires mounted so no interference issues and it had an alignment done now. I've decided to get coilovers and a set of summer tires that have a shorter sidewall in the spring to fix the tire wear issue. I wouldn't mind the car being a cm or two higher off the ground just to fix these issues and there's no way to do that easily without going to coilovers. I've been talking to Jamal and got a full set of rear bushings from whiteline on order, they're expected to ship 30-90 days from now so they'll be going in the car in spring.

The boost sensor also decided to give up the ghost at the end of the trip. Right after banff it stopped displaying the boost and got stuck at 140 kpa, playing with the sensor causes the gauge to move around, and it does the full sweep on startup and sets warnings correctly so I'm assuming its the sensor and not the controller or gauge itself.

It actually broke shortly after this picture

There was construction on HWY 1 after Banff, 2 lanes merging into 1, and it looks like Albertans can't figure out construction because it took an hour of rush hour style stop and go to get past the construction.

Other than those few issues that need tending to, the Baja help up well on the trip.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Awesome trip man, wow. So...is the titty bar made out of breast milk chocolate or what?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Wow, that must have been an amazing trip. Even better that the Baja made it!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm glad you had a good time out here. It's truly beautiful country - too bad it was a bad summer this year for Banff with all the flooding.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Ha! I totally spotted you in Lake Louise. Awesome trip! And I can say that your vehicle totally has an aura of awesome around it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks everyone!

Lake Louise was fun, went up the 6km trail to the teahouse and enjoyed lunch up there, amazing how good food tastes when you're hungry and tired, haha. Trying to find a place to stay around that area in tourist season was impossible, only place that had an opening was the fairmont at over $700 a night so I ended up sleeping in the car overnight in the camping overflow for $free

Jared592 posted:

is the titty bar made out of breast milk chocolate or what?

It's tongue in cheek for the wrapper, haven't actually tried it yet so I can't tell you if there's a taste difference over any regular cheap chocolate bar. The ingredient list simply lists it as milk without specifying :tinfoil:

Alberta and BC are absolutely breathtaking, if you're in North America at any point you must explore the Rockies at least once in your lifetime. The mountain roads are amazing to drive on and the fresh crisp air is awesome. I've actually started planning on moving to Calgary once I'm done my studies, it's surprisingly similar cost wise to live there, with only the housing market being more expensive but even then crummy old Winnipeg is getting more expensive every year for housing. It's seriously making me consider moving.

And here's another quick shot from the trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfTwatv0dT0

• Locked thread