Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Ferremit posted:

indeed it does. Its basically the STI trans without the fancy variable power splitting centre diff.

Not in the US it doesn't! And let's be clear, we're talking the 06-09 Spec B. The 6spd in the LGT from '10 forward was the variant jamal is talking about with the extra cog added to the 5spd box.

And the 05 spec b was still a 5spd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Tiny update. (Crappy cell pics since taking my real camera out is :effort:)

The Forester got its set of winter tires mounted and it's been driving around fine absolutely reliably (I'll snap a pic with the new wheels, looks pretty decent on the factory 5 spoke alloys and meaty winters). Can't wait for winter to see how it handles. Since Costco took care of those tires a little while ago, and this weekend is supposed to be the last 'nice' weekend we're having before winter, I swapped on the winter tires onto the Veloster.

Took a torque wrench and got them tightened to spec, and I have to say I LOVE those airpumps that have an automatic cutoff. Set the required pressure, turn it on and walk away to do other crap. No need to watch it so it doesn't overfill. SO NICE.

And since the Baja is sitting this winter out, I donated its gold winters this season to the parents new green forester.

Snazzy.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bajaha posted:

The Forester got its set of winter tires mounted and it's been driving around fine absolutely reliably.

HAHA, jinxed it. Wife came back last night and said the battery and brake light started flickering. Went for a test drive and it went from flickering to fairly solid after a quick drive. Ripped out the old alt and threw in the one from the EJ251 from the Baja. Only issue is 2 wire for the forester vs 3 wire plug from the Baja. The new alternators only use two wires in the NA market, but they have a 3 wire plug. Already stole a plug with pigtail from the old Baja harness and I'll wire it up later tonight.

At least this will make it simple to replace with a newer alt if the Baja one craps out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh god, Subaru does the combination alternator/brake light disco too? I thought that was just a Nissan thing.

When the alternator took a poo poo on my Altima, both the brake and alternator light came on together. The CEL lit up a bit later with a random misfire code; I assume it was from voltage getting too low since I never got that code again after it got a new alternator. It had ~10.5V at the battery when I got home - the alternator took a poo poo on my drive home from class in the middle of summer, and it was either marinade in my own sweat or pull the battery down a bit quicker by running the a/c.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 10, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

some texas redneck posted:

Oh god, Subaru does the combination alternator/brake light disco too? I thought that was just a Nissan thing.

They sure do!

Can't really figure out why though, maybe so that you actually do something about it since no alt = dead car as soon as the battery runs out :iiam: Only other thing I can think of is this was simpler for doing a bulb test on startup.

Got the equipment ready to splice in the new plug.

I'm going the soldering route since 1. I'm good at it. 2. A mechanically sound joint that's soldered will not have issues. 3. Don't have any UL listed crimping components laying around at the moment (which reminds me I need to stock up). Fancy blue pulley on the alt so you know it's HIGH PERFORMANCE

Back together, Soldered, marine heatshrink, and wrapped in electrical tape and split loom.

And back up and running. Good as new.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In the general case, if Nissan did it in the 80s/90s, Subaru also did it in the 90s/00s.

There's some interchange between, say, the B13/B14 Sentra and the 93-07 Impreza.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In the general case, if Nissan did it in the 80s/90s, Subaru also did it in the 90s/00s.

There's some interchange between, say, the B13/B14 Sentra and the 93-07 Impreza.

It makes for some fun compatibility though. Added automatic up and down window switches for the driver and passenger windows on the Baja by using Nissan (Pathfinder? I think) switches. You'll also notice a decent amount of Nissan logos on stuff like heated seat switches and some electronics even on their newest stuff. I know about the rear diff thing too, not sure what else they share.

At some point between 98 and 2010 they removed the battery and brake light codependency.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Non-update.

Bought a 40" 4K monitor on Black Friday / Cyber Monday. The monitor, on a pretty sweet sale, cost essentially two foresters. 'forester' now my new favorite unit for currency.

SO BIG :pcgaming:

(My phone is slowly picking up more and more dust on the sensor)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The life of a man with a cheap Subaru is good indeed.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bajaha posted:

Non-update.

Bought a 40" 4K monitor on Black Friday / Cyber Monday. The monitor, on a pretty sweet sale, cost essentially two foresters. 'forester' now my new favorite unit for currency.

SO BIG :pcgaming:

(My phone is slowly picking up more and more dust on the sensor)

Monitor? More like television, at that size. You can get 4k monitors in like 27" and 28" 24" sizes; when it's that big I wouldn't want to sit right in front of it anyway.

Maybe you're one of those old people who sit 2' from a gigantic TV, squinting at it so you can make out anything at all?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 7, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Raluek posted:

Monitor? More like television, at that size. You can get 4k monitors in like 27" and 28" 24" sizes; when it's that big I wouldn't want to sit right in front of it anyway.

Maybe you're one of those old people who sit 2' from a gigantic TV, squinting at it so you can make out anything at all?

If he was playing Witcher 3 he would have to be even closer to read poo poo.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Raluek posted:

CAD (Solidworks), DDC programming, and Photoshop with this much real estate is amazing. 4k at 40" gives a nice pixel density, and I don't have to worry about 4k UI bullshit you plebs with your sub 30" monitors have to deal with :smuggo:

And when I finally upgrade my graphics card from the outdated HD6950 that's in there (:argh: AMD, DisplayPort 1.2 standard means you support 4K @ 60Hz you POS. The Nvidia quadro in the work laptop does 4K/60Hz just fine over DP.) I can game being fully immersed in my giant screen. Seriously this thing is gorgeous to look at, especially since I'm used to TN panels.

I'm a little over 2' away, fills up your field of vision and I find it has a ton of usable space. Only downside is I keep loosing the mouse every once in a while.

E: funny thing, these sold out really quick apparently, I got lucky because my local Best Buy mistaked it for a TV and tucked it away in their home entertainment section.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The life of a man with a cheap Subaru is good indeed.

That it is :allears:

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 7, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'd like to think my purchasing your old WRX wheel somehow contributed. BAWK BAWK I'M HELPING :gary:

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Good luck playing any game on that thing in the near future, had to sell my 4K screen because 2 980's were not powerful enough to run poo poo at 4K and high settings with decent fps

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

BloodBag posted:

I'd like to think my purchasing your old WRX wheel somehow contributed. BAWK BAWK I'M HELPING :gary:

It most likely did, in one way or another. Now all you have to do is track down a black airbag for cheap, or get some decent interior panel paint and spray it. The contrast looks crazy in photos, maybe it's not as bad in person.

Sh4 posted:

Good luck playing any game on that thing in the near future, had to sell my 4K screen because 2 980's were not powerful enough to run poo poo at 4K and high settings with decent fps

Figured at least the cream of the crop of the graphics card world would be able to handle it, oh well, I haven't played on PC since mass effect 3 and the last time I touched my xbox 360 (yeah, not even current gen) was like a year ago with GTA5. I've been way too preoccupied with other stuff to touch gaming. I'll probably stick with my outdated card for a couple years and upgrade when 4K gaming will be viable. For now 30hz will have to suffice for browsing/movies/bullshit and the work laptop can pump out 60hz 4k without issue. At worst I can run games at 1080p and just have 1/4 of the pixel density :v: Or could always pick up a 2K monitor as a 2nd and use that if I really feel like playing at a higher resolution.

What's with graphics card prices lately? The price on the high-end stuff seems to have skyrocketed since the last time I was shopping for a card.

in AI news, I miss my Baja and this winter is bullshit.

BRING ON THE SNOWPOCALYPSE

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 9, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Archive Prevention Bumptm

No news is good news? Baja is garaged, Veloster is sitting this winter out since we're getting by without problems with one car, forester sounds like a skeleton enthusiastically jerking it in a filing cabinet on cold starts. Managed to run it low on oil due to laziness (didn't check it b/c of the cold). Was 2+qt low. Woops. Filled it back up and it's running like a champ.

E: pretty sure I have a small oil leak somewhere that's dripping onto the exhaust, you get a whiff of that burnt oil smell every once in a while, plus the level slowly drops over a few weeks.

Also, managed to get rear ended sitting at a red light. It's like clockwork, I don't think I've gone a winter without being rear ended at least once. Barely any visible damage, but the paperwork still has a decent number on it.

And that's all for now.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 26, 2016

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Bajaha posted:

skeleton enthusiastically jerking it in a filing cabinet on cold starts
Gonna borrow this phrase in the future.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mine has a leak too, drivers side valve cover or possibly the head gasket where the oil return passages are. I just keep an eye on it and relish the stinky hot oil smell when I get home every afternoon. Smells like manliness.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Copying myself from the chat thread:

quote:

Since I'm going to tackle the rust this year before it becomes an actual problem I've decided to paint the whole car rather than trying to match the small sections (need to make another hood so that it doesn't weigh a ton as well) but I can't decide on a colour.

Something like a candy apple red pearl is a top contender, lets me leave the engine bay and most of the door jambs alone since they're already red. A bold green or blue would be nifty as well. Ugh, so many choices... too many choices. Removing the motor and all the accessory crap is going to be a pain if I go away from red colours. I think it would really bug me to leave the bay and other details red, even if its not visible unless you pop the hood, but I've seen loads of Honda guys do it and I guess it's not *that* bad.

Suggestions? Thinking of sticking with the two-tone, I'm so used to it that the mono-tone ones through me off.

In the vein of taking a break from studying, I whipped up a few variations on my Baja to help visualize the colors. (click for HUGE)

My feeling is that darker colours suit the car better, and I haven't found a good way to mess with the color/tone of the body cladding without making it look like rear end. Was thinking maybe painting that a few shades darker grey as well, but I couldn't get something that would look decent in Photoshop.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

BLACK GOOOOOLD.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like the middle one, but I don't like the silver half panels

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Left column, second row looks really good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm really digging that blue, personally.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I dig the gold, personally. It just recalls the yellow/silver that Subaru marketed these with while still being unique.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Magnus Praeda posted:

I dig the gold, personally. It just recalls the yellow/silver that Subaru marketed these with while still being unique.

This. Do that gold with a dark metalflake. Preferably large flakes.

:gizz:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Bajaha posted:

Copying myself from the chat thread:

In the vein of taking a break from studying, I whipped up a few variations on my Baja to help visualize the colors. (click for HUGE)

My feeling is that darker colours suit the car better, and I haven't found a good way to mess with the color/tone of the body cladding without making it look like rear end. Was thinking maybe painting that a few shades darker grey as well, but I couldn't get something that would look decent in Photoshop.

That deep red rocks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gold and purple are my favorites. If you do gold/black pearlescent, I'd probably drive to Canada just to look at it and possibly steal it when you're not looking.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

wallaka posted:

BLACK GOOOOOLD.

You joke, but that has grown on me like crazy.

sofullofhate posted:

This. Do that gold with a dark metalflake. Preferably large flakes.

:gizz:

Oh man, that would be good. :allears: Apparently its hard to find gold with dark flake examples online, everything is coming up as black with gold flake which still looks pretty drat good.

Played some more in photoshop with mono-tone schemes, and I think I've made it worst. (Click for HUGE)

There's just way too many choices :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Red, Black or Purple.

There is a stock Subaru color for Foresters that is black with gold flakes circa ~2004.

You'd need to do something with the wheels. The bronze doesn't work as well with the black.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wrar posted:

Red, Black or Purple.

There is a stock Subaru color for Foresters that is black with gold flakes circa ~2004.

You'd need to do something with the wheels. The bronze doesn't work as well with the black.

Java Black Pearl:

Wheels need to change, I'm kinda tired of my 5/10 spoke Enkei's and the gold WRX wheels are going to go too. Going to keep the Enkei's on it until after paint I think, they're silver so they kinda blend with anything.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Black and gold JPS livery or purple like a giant throbbing dong of power and utility.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

A true mongrel to keep looking good tho. Ask me how I know

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You should keep the two tone, it looks way too good.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rhyno posted:

You should keep the two tone, it looks way too good.

I agree with this unless you do silver-on-silver (but I have a soft spot for that since that's the paint scheme on my Baja).

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I really think that black on the bottom would look good.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've said it before, weird cars attract weird people and Baja people are no exception. (myself included)

Here's a selection of, umm, uniquely painted/wrapped Baja's I've found in my vast search of the net (read: looked through the Baja owners facebook group public images)

Of all the things I saw in my searches, I came across a couple non-Photoshoped examples of the ideas mentioned in this thread:

The darker grey cladding doesn't look that bad, I imagined a little better but it could work, especially if I go with the deep blue it would match nicely.

Dark Grey (Black maybe?) on Black works well, but it needs something to highlight the body lines IMO.

Solid colours in general work ok, but the more I look at them, the more I think I might stick with the two-tone.

And finally, I'm not sold on the black cladding with non-black body. I'm bouncing in between hate-it and like-it.

At the very least now I have some more base images I can play around with to visualize different combos if I can't get it to look right using my own car. Expect me to flip flop over this for the next month!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've also found a possible OEM colour that would look great, suggested off my instagram.

Sedona Red Pearl

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Bajaha posted:

I've also found a possible OEM colour that would look great, suggested off my instagram.

Sedona Red Pearl

That's a beautiful colour. Don't ditch the two-tone.

Go with the gold / dark flakes. :D

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Subaru Azure Blue is really nice

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I think the distinctive charm of the Baja is in part the two tone.

• Locked thread