Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This is a great project, and one that's been on my personal fantasy list (along with owning a Baja at all, really). Hi from the CSCC.

I remember seeing that car pop up on the SGI list. Good job for getting it so cheap. The timing gear does like to break in Subaru front end accidents; I've even seen shattered exhaust cams before inside the head.

The VF52 "dent," I'm sure you already know, is for clearance purposes; there's a similar one on some of the other IHI VF turbos as well.

When you get the car back together and are comfortably on the road you should definitely look at a good tune. The 08+ WRX/WRX265 stock tune likes to chew up ringlands because it runs dangerously lean under WOT (for emissions reasons), and even if not a decent retune can crank a lot more power, response and torque out of the '52. If you can get a wideband in the downpipe you could do an email tune, or you could take a week off work and drive out west to come see Airboy Tuning in Calgary. :) Have you done a compression/leakdown test yet to see if the engine is strong?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think Airboy can do AccessPort but I'd check with him to be sure.

Compression is definitely easy to do, you just go to Princess Auto, get the compression tester and go to town using any internet guide's directions (after swearing repeatedly trying to get at the sparkplugs on a modern turbo Subaru). http://jsalmi.com/dsm/tech/compression/

Leakdown test is harder since you need to build/find a leakdown tester but it's a similar actual procedure. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0406_cylinder_leakdown_tester/viewall.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Weinertron posted:

This is really really cool. Are Subie center diffs all strong enough to handle the power?
He's pulled the WRX 5-speed along with it so it should be burly enough to take the power. The centre diff is located in the general vicinity of the tailshaft housing of the transmission, and then it's just a matter of matching up the rear diff (which is probably an R160 open diff in both the Baja and 08+ WRX) and driveshaft (which is identical across all 5-speed manual transmission models).

Regardless, the weak point on the WRX 5-speeds in my experience (ignoring launching-related failures) appears to be the 2nd and 3rd gears depending on the transmission year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, it's only about a 100 lb weight difference between the 2003ish Baja and the 2010ish WRX. Dunno what it is with all the turbo hardware added on, but you can always crank the boost up a little more to compensate. :)

You should weigh it on a highway scale when it's done!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 14, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
IIRC the VDC will freak out if you put a mechanical LSD back there anyway. I don't know if the community has figured out a way to disable the VDC/hill holder independently of the ABS yet, but if they have that would be a great reason to do it!

As the WRX evolved (under the lead foots and ham hands of North American customers...) the gearbox became a lot more divergent from the "mainstream" 5MTs - wider "Type RA" style gears, extra synchros on first, etc - so while your old 4.11 drivetrain would probably deal with the abuse I'd stick with the 3.9.

The new-style ABS tone rings are a lot better than the old ones that got damaged all the time doing brake jobs or violent offroad excursions. They should be compatible since the sensor is still just a hall effect.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 14, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

And for the record, electrical systems are a pain in the rear end to work with. The rear taillight wiring is still confusing me. The Baja rear lights are combination lights, and the brake light blinks when the turn signal is on, the WRX lights are discrete and there's separate bulbs for the rear lights. After some tinkering I decided that using the old turn signal module from the Baja was the best bet. Dug it out from the old dash wiring harness and looking through the wiring diagrams for both, hooked it up in a logical manner. When it was hooked up this way, it would keep the rear left brake light on no matter what. When I unhooked the input for left turn signal on the module, and put the left turn output from the new harness to the hazard switch input on the module, it works exactly how it should. This makes no sense, but if it's functioning I have stopped questioning it.
The hazard switch on the old Imprezas has something important to do with turn signals (not sure what). I have walked in on a few WRX swaps by now and installed the hazard switch and been met with angry yells after other people spent hours poring over the wiring diagram and checking the body harness wiring.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 15, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Subarus don't have separate engine and body harnesses like lots of other cars, so you have to do a ton of wiring and often splice in comfort features to the new ECU as well. Some shops will build you a harness if you tell them what engine/ECU and chassis is getting in the mix.

One of the best writeups I've seen of "what it's like" is here (some outdated/wrong information though, so don't follow it as gospel): http://www.powerlabs.org/car.htm

In the interest of promoting bad financial decisions I'll point out that the six-cylinder Subaru engines are not that much bigger externally and share the same mounts...

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 15, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

What is the octane requirement for the WRX? I remember on the last gen STi it was 93 Octane minimum. Maybe that's what was causing the issue.
91. The American tune appears compromised over the Japanese tune for a variety of reasons (mostly stricter emissions controls and CAFE).

There's a pretty pronounced AFR increase on the stock car under WOT, you can see it on dyno charts with a wideband O2.

Safety Dance posted:

Could I mate that up to a six speed manual?
Of course. The STI 6-speed takes the same exterior dimensions (and therefore mounts) as the 4-speed automatic that comes in the SVX.

There used to be a great YouTube video of some Australians with a 6-speed manual SVX with straight pipes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

If I had some extra money and a hatred for my warranty, my Outback could use some extra torques and horsepowers.

Why stop with NA? http://blog.perrinperformance.com/perrin-h6-build-up/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

I don't think that car ever really ran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVLxsPRAWU

Bonus: loving sweet AFR clock

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
WRX turbo motors have individual coilpacks, not ignition wires from a central coilpack like the NAs. Try moving the coilpacks around.

e: Oops.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Imprezas are a little easier than Foresters for whatever reason. Everything seems mounted very low in the Forester.

Your method works really well though, and I've seen it used many times.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Here's Bajaha's grandpappy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXLL1td8U7g

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's twenty-one freaking C right now in AB. So much stuff is going to get fixed. I meant to get that tool drawer kit when it was on sale too, sigh.

Good job on the gauge pod. It looks pretty cool so far! I can't wait to see this thing up and running again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think you made it angry.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should always wear gloves when you're using that exhaust heat wrap; even thin nitrile gloves should keep the fibers out of your skin.

Sounds incredible. I can't wait to see more :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I demand glamour shots.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, it is really coming together. I want to drive it so bad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Part of the fun of driving a turbo Subaru is having the giant scoop sticking into your view. It's like a big middle finger to "stylists" and "aerodynamics engineers," whatever they are.

In fact you can trace the moral decline of Subaru from the reduced prominence and size of their hood scoops. At their apex, they added roof scoops in order to sustain their lust.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 24, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you look at the stock Subaru splitter you'll notice that it has a downdraft section that points directly at the turbo housing, so doing the same thing probably isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure how much it actually does, but it can't hurt to provide some extra airflow to the engine bay that isn't going to the intercooler first.

Car is looking good :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Remember this day, everybody - it's the day a Subaru Baja won at an auto show.

We will never again in our lives experience this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm glad you had a good time out here. It's truly beautiful country - too bad it was a bad summer this year for Banff with all the flooding.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You know it's cold when you let go of the clutch in neutral and the car stalls because the gear oil is frozen solid.

How low does the outdoor temperature gauge on your car go? The one in my old WRX topped out at -35.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 29, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Get a cheapo Impreza in the summer. Cars that are sub-$2000 in the summer are $4000+ in the winter. Some guy near me posted his gorgeous low-miles auto 02 TS for $9000 this morning. :(

You should be able to use an older 6-speed with the car, just swap the VSS plug from your 5-speed into the 6-speed so all the juice doesn't fly out. Dunno how the DCCD will react but you don't necessarily have to wire it up unless you want DCCDPro/MapDCCD. One of those works properly with CANbus but I don't remember which...

I wouldn't worry too much about 6-speed abuse, I've seen guys who clearly had no business operating a car hammer on them and they laughed it off.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 11, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've done the aluminum control arm swap onto a WRX wagon and even have one of the arms still lying around. They didn't seem to make a huge difference to me but I thought they were pretty cool when I was already down there replacing a bent steel arm from the PO.

Do you have an anti lift kit yet?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Get a 6MT and ship your large items Greyhound.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What parts do you have? I'm working under a self-imposed "used parts only" moratorium on the daily beater project. Send me a PM with your junk pile/price list.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hell, with the new WRX and its fancy-rear end LED headlights, HIDs aren't even the fanciest possible headlight technology in a Subaru.

Also, I desperately want to swap an FA20DIT into something. That spool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Do they have a bottom-mount twin scroll manifold? Does the Legacy GT one bolt onto J. Random EJ25?

I think the Full-Race one is twin scroll and underslung but it's more than most cars I've ever bought.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I forgot how fantastically lovely your Altima is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
As a guy who spilled gear oil in the back of a Subaru, what you want to do is go to Wal-Mart, in the home air freshener section, and get an armful of $5 Air Sponges. Pop one open every three weeks and it should absorb most of the stench.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What else do you do with money? People who save it don't have bitchin' Subaruminos.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, you really did go nuts. Those RCE coilovers are really good in Impreza fitment.

I'm hearing good things about MapDCCD as opposed to DCCDPro right now.

Sorry to hear Ontario was as crazy for you as it always seems to be for me. Next time, come out west.

I just bought a set of RE760s and I like them quite a bit. They're heavy tires, but they seem to be pretty quiet and still fairly grippy. Definitely not autocross tires though. I have driven a few cars with those Sumitomos and they're basically the same as the RE760s except cheaper (why did I buy the RE760s?)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 14, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh god I want those snowflake wheels so goddamn hard. But shipping would kill me, and I don't really need another set of wheels. :(

Also good god those axles. I wonder how cheap a 3.90 R180 is on eBay, my TS doesn't like to put the power down coming through corners in the rear.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Can you tell me about the gold wheels? Are they a factory Subaru wheel? What's the size/offset of those?

Those are the 16" snowflakes from a Legacy. NASIOC reports:

quote:

Size: 16x6.5"
Offset: +55
Bolt pattern: 5x100
Wheel Weight: 20 pounds
OEM-equipped tire size: 205/55R16

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 2, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I can't believe even the floor mats are lemons on your Veloster. You should post the repair history on TrueDelta or something, the current year of Veloster is taking a beating in reliability from the looks of it.

Bajaha posted:

SSS, I'd probably search through the NASIOC part-out classifieds for an R180, might be able to find something local too (I thought I saw some part-outs in alberta when I was looking for a trans swap) The custom bearing races are pricey for what they are, but a lot cheaper than custom axles from DSS or other solutions if you don't want to go the STI hub route. On the plus side, suberdave is really quick with communication and shipping, and the part fits without any issues. As the only source for this sort of part, I guess he can ask what he wants for them.

gently caress you, dude. I did not need to contemplate this swap any further. It's like a magnet, pulling my wallet towards the used parts section on WSC...

I will have my revenge.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 2, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh, I like the WRX265 dark grey wheels just as they are. The gold makes it pop though. Grimmspeed gold?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's probably Aztec Gold. Good catch, I hadn't thought to root through the OEM colour catalogues to get something on the cheap. Maybe Duplicolor has it too.

Our local "OEM paint in spray cans" place is far away and has troublesome hours.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
gently caress Liquid Wrench. Seafoam Deep Creep and (to a lesser extent) PB Blaster are my go-to penetrants these days.

I really need to figure out how to get Aerokroil because it sounds like the BFH of penetrating oil.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is the unlabeled bottle a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF? It's supposed to be the best poo poo out there.

Seems like it'd be hard to store, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd put Fluid Film or a cavity wax inside the subframe way before I put something bubbly that provides a good surface area to trap moisture in.

Might be worthwhile trying out the electrolysis stuff, like another goon did recently with a 55-gallon plastic drum...

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 5, 2014

• Locked thread