Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
This is really really cool. Are Subie center diffs all strong enough to handle the power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

He's pulled the WRX 5-speed along with it so it should be burly enough to take the power. The centre diff is located in the general vicinity of the tailshaft housing of the transmission, and then it's just a matter of matching up the rear diff (which is probably an R160 in both the Baja and WRX) and driveshaft (which is identical across all 5-speed manual transmission models).

Regardless, the weak point on the WRX 5-speeds in my experience (ignoring launching-related failures) appears to be the 2nd and 3rd gears depending on the transmission year.

Ah, I missed that the center diff is in the transmission. The Baja probably doesn't even weigh that much more than a WRX, so everything should be golden.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Quick counterpoint to the anecdotal Hyundai reliability: The front brake pads on my father in law's 2009 Elantra lasted longer than the transmission. However, it only had 70k miles, so powertrain warranty took care of it.

They've had great warranty luck in general, Honda replaced a block under warranty on my mother in law's Civic with 130k miles. It really impressed me that Honda would stand by a car that long.

• Locked thread