Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You might be able to just keep the stock rear sensors and tone rings and then wire them into the new harness (assuming the connectors aren't the same). If not, you could try the stuff from an 05-09 legacy.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

destructo posted:

Excellent work! I've always loved the Baja. Out of curiosity is there a list out there of "easy" powertrain interchanges between Subaru models?

Bolting it in is easy. Engine and transmission mounting is the same on almost everything from 1990 to present. It's the wiring and getting a turbo engine to run in a non-turbo car that takes all the work because the ecu and harness is completely different.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I stopped by Cobb socal early last year before they opened. Guess what was there.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Did you take the avcs cam gear apart (or replace it). For it to have bent the dowels and broke off part of the exhaust port I would be really worried about that head. What exactly got done to it? new valves?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The Forester has spacers on the front crossmember for the extra ride height so the engine sits a little lower. A double flex spark plug socket works great.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The crawford one is my preference, but you might consider making your own. It's not much more than some pieces of aluminum pipe and silicone tubing. The one nice thing the crawford part has now is the heating circuit which keeps everything from getting gummed up in cold climates and daily driving. I can probably do a slight discount on one too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The brakes between the cars are pretty much the same, plus the rear wrx stuff doesn't fit because the suspension and upright are different.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I would actually be interested to see if the newer wrx subframe bolts into your chassis and if the strut mounts are in the right spot. All the links attach to the subframe unlike your car where the trailing arm mounts to another bracket on the chassis.

Did you take out the spacers between the subframes and body? If you lower the car with standard legacy stuff and don't remove them it really screws up the suspension geometry.

For the AOS what's your postal code?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah if you're close that tends to works better. USPS to you is $38 (plus I think they charge an extra $8 brokerage fee) while sending it to the border is $12. Unfortunately my distributor is out of them until about the 14th. I'm thinking the TMIC version for an 02-07 WRX will fit the best.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The mounting brackets differ too. The TMIC version mounts on the strut tower and the FMIC part goes on the pitch stop mount. And then I think the 02-07 and 08+ mounts are going to be a little different. They also have a universal version that just comes with a couple of different brackets. Worst case you'd have to drill another hole in the mount or get a longer hose or something.

Did you ever do a leakdown test? You can do one on the stand and make sure you don't have a leaking valve or a ton of blowby.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The hardest part is getting the piston right at TDC before you do it. With the timing covers off and the engine out of the car it's way easier though. Normally I use a multi-gauge thing to guess at where tdc is based on the cylinder going from pressure to vacuum as I turn the crank over by hand. Sometimes it can take a couple tries per cylinder. You'll be able to just go by the marks on the timing gears.

You don't want to just pressurize the cylinder and crank the engine by hand until the valves are closed because it will change your readings. You can expect the leakage to be a little bit high because the engine has been sitting for a few days, but that will really just mean a little extra through the rings. I like to see under 6-7% on a car that has just pulled into the shop.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

So are you holding the crank in place during the leakdown?

You need to balance it at TDC so it stays in place when you hook up the tester.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

They all probably use the same sensor anyway. When I was at a dyno shop we'd have to get a new one every few weeks, and it was something like bosch sensor for a vw that we were getting from autozone.

How long it lasts depends on how close you have it to the engine/turbo. Farther back in the exhaust stream it will last longer.

Also your sandwich adapter should be delivered by now.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

What? Looked at the diagram, that's crazy. I would be willing to be the 05-09 complete bearing/hub bolts right in though. PN is 28473AG00B.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Haha wow. Coldest we've seen this year was something like -15f (-26c). Idle dropped but the car didn't stall.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Pull type wrx stuff will work on a 6-speed but not push-type.

Those transmissions are actually pretty simple to take apart and work on. So you could just fix what is broken for a lot less than a 6-speed costs if you are ok with the downtime. Biggest things you need are a press and bearing splitter.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

He has trailing arm bushings. Overnight from Japan 3 months on a boat from Australia.

The only control arms worth swapping to are 04-06 STi. Wider track, more caster. The GC arms don't make much of a geometry change if any.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

With NM's box, we bought a new LGT gearset and had it WPC treated. So far so good, as far as I know anyway.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

My friends at motoiq and some race teams I know swear by wpc, but no matter what you do the 5-speed is never bulletproof. The stock lgt gearset is something like $1200 then wpc is a couple hundred plus shipping to and from california, then the work to install them and any extra bearing/syncro parts you might need. So you are pretty far towards a used 6-speed by then. And with the 6-speed you get really awesome front and center diffs, and don't have to worry a whole lot about it.

That clutch reminds me of a kid that brought his low mile 350z into our shop. I still can not figure out how he got it there as I had a hard time even getting it to the lift. Put in 1st gear, take foot off clutch, car slowly creeps forward on flat ground. A whole lot of floorin I guess.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 24, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

No, there isn't really a good way to go 5x114. I hear you can machine the hubs for the 08+ bearings.

Otherwise the sti front calipers are all the same. I would consider just doing the 300z front rotor thing wrxbrakes makes if you want something a little better and leave the rears.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Rear FHI/Subaru 2-pots give the same brake torque as the brakes you have on there now. 00-09 Legacy and baja and outback are all the same for brakes/parking brake/hubs so those adapters will work. The kartboy adapters should too, which I can get. Then you need these rotors: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/DBA-42657S-4000-Series-T-Slot-Slotted-Rotors-Rear which are the right shape for brembos and the small parking brake.

Expensive rotors plus $200 brackets plus the calipers and stuff adds up pretty quick. Not sure it's worth it.

For bias, the "h6" brakes you have and the Subaru 2-pots use the same diameter rotor and have the same size pistons so bias doesn't change with them. And you need adapter brackets to put those I too. The brembos actually have a smaller piston according to the brake math spreadsheet I have, so putting them on will move your bias farther forward than just doing the fronts.

My suggestion would be either just put on the front brembos, or you can use nissan z32 calipers with a Legacy GT front rotor and a bracket, or the 328mm stoptech front bbk if you want some really good brakes, and leave the rears stock.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I currently have the same brakes as you, which are an upgrade over stock, with stoptech pads and a master cylinder brace. Pretty happy with how they work, but I would like to go to 4-pots up front and maybe a single diaphragm booster. I don't need bigger rotors at this point because I have no power.

The 300z caliper is basically the same as the 4pot but a little wider and fits the 316x30 lgt rotor. Sti is 326x30. The downside is that you get slightly more front bias because the pistons are larger, but not as much as stock lgt brakes.

Stoptech is a much stiffer caliper, and uses a wider 2-piece rotor with better venting. But it's most expensive and might not fit under your wheels.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I want to do that too, but wanted to buy the glass jdm lights to put them in so it will be like a $600 project.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just the bottom mount TS manifold on a ej25 makes a huge difference. The torque curve of a newer Legacy GT blows the standard UEL manifold out of the water. I'm shocked they're not using it on the 2015 sti.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That piece is likely the snap ring that holds the center diff together. I've seen that a number of times. Those transfer gears are a new one, although I have seen the shaft snapped right off them. Guessing chunks of the snap ring worked their way into them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You don't need new flywheel bolts, but I do like to get new ones if it's a car I know the flywheel has been off a couple of times. Also, loctite plus torque wrench on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. I've seen them break and come loose and it's not pretty.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ugh, that sucks. I had a few alignments done at pep boys I think and just hung out behind the bay and "helped" the tech. Then I worked at places that had all the alignment stuff so I could do it myself didn't have to worry about it. At one place, suspension work, alignments, and corner balancing were a majority of the work.

A camber gauge and toe plates are not that expensive. Good turn plates are, but there are some home made ways to do it. Strings on jack stands work pretty well too.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 19, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The problem with those bbs wheels are the wrx version is only 7" wide I think, and the sti wheels 7.5. I would want something wider. Tires work best when the rim is a little wider than the tread, and some of the newer high performance summers run really wide. A 225 Hankook RS-3 for example is like 1/2" wider than some other tires of the same size and should go on an 8.5" wheel.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

These come in 18x9 +40:

http://www.enkei.com/rs05rr.shtml

A little more expensive than your average enkei though at over $500 a piece.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

There are a couple of wide 17" wheels. And yeah, with 245s I would want an 8.5 or even 9" wheel.

These would be the right size:

http://www.fastwrx.com/products/mach-v-17x9-awesome-wheel

This comes in 17x9 +45, which might be too high of an offset actually:

http://www.enkei.com/tsp6.shtml

I can also check on a a set of these:

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pro-race/Pro-race12.htm

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

An exhaust for an 05-09 has got to be really close to the same. Might be worth starting with over fabricating something entirely from scratch. Are there two mufflers on the stock system like an outback/lgt? Or maybe just space and hangers on both sides?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Make sure the cutout bolts in because I've never seen one that still works after a year or two. Also the cutout should go to an ovalized side pipe.

If there is anything in the borla, magnaflow, kooks, or vibrant catalog that you think might work let me know.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

After thinking about it, Subaru keeps the hangers in the same general location. I'd say try to test fit someone's wrx muffler/catback section in your hangers under the bottom of the car. My understanding is that the baja is about 6" longer than the outback/legacy, which is around 4" longer than a 2nd gen impreza. So that would basically be a wrx catback plus a cutout plus like 2 more inches.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I don't know if there would be much to do in waterton outside of snowshoeing and xc skiing. A lot of that place closes down for the winter. A drive down to sparwood, over crowsnest pass, down to waterton, and then back up would be a nice drive though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Sweet trip. I live in the mountains and was still pretty impressed driving through in sept.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I like the really bright green too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I broke an inner CV by keeping my foot down over a rise big enough to get the wheels off the ground. Tires spun up and it went pop. Then the other side did the same thing a few weeks later just pulling out of a driveway. Got a bad vibration accelerating from about 45-50 and then otherwise drove normally so it took me awhile to diagnose. Replacements were just cheap napa axles.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Most n/a cars and even the 08-14 wrx don't come with that cooler.

My car consumed an ever increasing amount of coolant as time went on. I drove it for like 2 months, and went from having to add a bit of water every few days to having to top off before I drove. The day I finally got around to doing it, I drove a few blocks to pep-boys and it was pouring water out of the overflow when I pulled into the shop.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The 5-speeds will explode and 6-speeds are expensive. I think the 3.0R legacy comes with a 6-speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just the spec-b. Although the lgt 5-speed got slightly wider gears, similar to the sti-ra I think. And now that new not sti 6-speed is pretty much a 5-speed with an extra gear stuck on the end so we'll probably see a few of those break. I haven't spent enough time on LGT or nasioc or in a shop lately to find out though.

• Locked thread