Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Justin_Brett posted:

So was this chapter hinting that Saitama's strength might be due to the same thing that's causing Z-City to spit out so many monsters? Hope not, I love that part about him.

It's ok if there's speculation, especially if it's increasingly ridiculous like if next arc they reveal that Saitama grew up near a radioactive landfill or something. I just don't want anything definitive.

I really thought that guy with the mustache was going to be evil. He and Golden Ball seem to be in the heroes for ladder climbing, so maybe he'll end up being later. And I'm also looking forward to more Watchdog. I hope that wasn't just a one-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That hole in the ground was the result of Saitama's fight against the house of evolution. I'm guessing that most of the damages were also due to fights in previous chapters.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Serious Frolicking posted:

That hole in the ground was the result of Saitama's fight against the house of evolution. I'm guessing that most of the damages were also due to fights in previous chapters.

There's also that time the Underground King showed up to take over the surface world.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

GoatLord posted:

The first page of the chapter had a guy with Testicle written on his back. There was really nothing that could be surprising after that.
The guy's name is Golden Ball, too. Oh, Japanese euphemisms~

Yeah, I think this is what the Association is investigating. The monster they keep sensing is just Saitama running around the city or something like that.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Somehow Spring Moustache is still my favourite hero from the ones in this chapter. It was a really close race though. :v:

Also, "high level mysterious people" sounds like a politically correct term for ant monsters, demons, and whatnot.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

onepixeljumpman posted:

It's ok if there's speculation, especially if it's increasingly ridiculous like if next arc they reveal that Saitama grew up near a radioactive landfill or something. I just don't want anything definitive.

I don't want any sort of explanation other than what Saitama has already given us. Unless it's other people postulating bizarre theories to him which he proves false.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Somehow I want Watchdog and Onepunchman to be friends, like Watchdog is the Batman for Onepunchman.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AgentHaiTo posted:

Somehow I want Watchdog and Onepunchman to be friends, like Watchdog is the Batman for Onepunchman.

I will accept this only if all his gadgets are based around chew toys.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

GoatLord posted:

The first page of the chapter had a guy with Testicle written on his back. There was really nothing that could be surprising after that.

I imagine a dramatic scene where Saitama will be forced to confess that he didn't just follow a strict exercise regiment. He also drank the recommended eight glasses of water a day.

The SECOND I saw the horse guy all I could think of was the horse mask like they sell on Amazon. I clicked back here and was saddened to realize it was just a horse in a suit. Then I read this...

Prison Warden posted:

It's just a horse in a suit.

he doesn't even have hands or anything, it's just a horse. In a suit. Fantastic.

...and I accepted that as a good thing.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

AgentHaiTo posted:

onepixeljumpman posted:

I will accept this only if all his gadgets are based around chew toys.

Holy crap, both of these would be the greatest thing! :allears: Just by looking at Watchdog's expression, he looks chill enough to hang out with Saitama.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'm wondering if the "Umabourne" name is supposed to be a combination of horse and Jason Bourne. Because that would own.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
That would own, but unfortunately it's mostly the translator being weird.

Umabourne is supposed to be Umabone, as in horse's bone, which means a mysterious man from a mysterious land.
Mashrule is supposed to be a pun on mushroom.
Watchdog is supposed to be Watchdog Man. I think this is important.

Caeruleas
Mar 5, 2007
This too shall pass
e: fb ^^^
e2: Didn't think about a literal translation and hadn't heard of "uma no kotsu" before. The more you know!

I was puzzling that one out when I read it, too, because ボーン can be ambiguous. "Bourne" is common now because of the movies, but it can also mean "born" or "bone". Could be just "horse born", since, y'know, it's a horse.

Caeruleas fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 3, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Horse-in-a-suit is amazing, so handsome, what a stud. :downsrim:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Mystic Mongol posted:

I just noticed that when they're discussing the damage done to B-City, there's a picture of Beefcake and Babyface on the table.

(How did they get a pre-transformation picture of Beefcake, and yet still not know who Saitama is? They are bad at their jobs.)

I like to think Saitama is just such a normal dude he's completely beneath their notice.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Has anybody pointed out Watchdog underneath Genos' arm in this picture?:

He is very fearsome.

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

Oh, no, I translated that character's name wrong, didn't I. That's...really embarrassing, I'm sorry :ohdear: (To be honest, I wish someone else would take over this project, it's just not my thing. I think it's a little too out of my skill range.)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Goddamn I can't wait to see half of those guys in action.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Lintwhite posted:

Oh, no, I translated that character's name wrong, didn't I. That's...really embarrassing, I'm sorry :ohdear: (To be honest, I wish someone else would take over this project, it's just not my thing. I think it's a little too out of my skill range.)

Don't stop! I'll take mildly flawed to non-existant any day.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Sarcophallus posted:

Has anybody pointed out Watchdog underneath Genos' arm in this picture?:

He is very fearsome.

This picture is fantastic. Watchdog is a s-class hero, so he's just as powerful as Genos. On top of that, Saitama accidentally broke off the top of his drum stick ice cream come, which is something any all American (man) child has done.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm curious about the green-haired girl. Aside from Saitama, every other hero seems to be either science-based or have no powers at all aside from being incredibly weird.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The black haired chick also has some weird aura around one hand. Also I don't see the mysterious blond girl with the funky gauntlet things from the cover of each chapter on here either.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

I'm curious about the green-haired girl. Aside from Saitama, every other hero seems to be either science-based or have no powers at all aside from being incredibly weird.

Someone on another forum actually posted little mini-bios about every hero in that picture, so what follows is an

Obviously-past-this-point-in-the-manga-proper-spoiler:

She is an S-class hero and an Esper, and is extremely powerful - she might be comparable to Saitama.

I can quote the rest of them and clip the super-spoilery parts if people would like.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I've seen that and it's full of errors. Tatsumaki is nowhere near as powerful as Saitama, for instance.

If people really want info that much I can post small bios on everyone in the series so far, but I do agree with earlier opinions that a lot of the fun comes from the introductions themselves.

On another note, the next (Japanese) chapter should be coming tomorrow.

Optimus Subprime posted:

This picture is fantastic. Watchdog is a s-class hero, so he's just as powerful as Genos. On top of that, Saitama accidentally broke off the top of his drum stick ice cream come, which is something any all American (man) child has done.

Actually, S-rankers tend to get more powerful as the number goes up, so Watchdogman is actually significantly more powerful than Genos. :v:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AnonSpore posted:

Actually, S-rankers tend to get more powerful as the number goes up, so Watchdogman is actually significantly more powerful than Genos. :v:

That might not be true, though. Genos is new - he's at the worst rank because he hasn't proved himself any yet. His real 'rank' hasn't been set or tested any, so we don't know how he compares to Watchdog just yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

gnome7 posted:

That might not be true, though. Genos is new - he's at the worst rank because he hasn't proved himself any yet. His real 'rank' hasn't been set or tested any, just that he is S-class.

Way to ruin a joke. Let me explain the power levels in OPM:

Here is Saitama.

Here is everyone else.

That is really all you need to know.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

AnonSpore posted:

I've seen like one panel of Watchdog, and somehow I love that hero so much. He looks so cuddly, and I can't imagine how he can be so powerful. It's almost like some kind of drunken kung-fu like with Saitama where the more loose and laid back you are, the more powerful you are.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

That is really all you need to know.

Yeah comparing power levels in this manga is like comparing height amongst ants when you've got the loving statue of liberty standing right there guys c'mon

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AgentHaiTo posted:

I've seen like one panel of Watchdog, and somehow I love that hero so much. He looks so cuddly, and I can't imagine how he can be so powerful. It's almost like some kind of drunken kung-fu like with Saitama where the more loose and laid back you are, the more powerful you are.

After Saitama, Watchdog has the most cartoony appearance in the comic. Meanwhile Genos and a few others have hyper-detailed, "cool" appearances. It's an inverted bell curve, the further to either side you are, the more powerful. If you're a regular person who isn't either really awesome or completely silly (and really awesome), you're hosed.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
I don't think i ever wished so hard and fervently for a manga to be adapted in an animation.

It would be glorious. :allears:

e:typo

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I don't think i ever wished so hard and fervently for a manga to be adapted in an animation.

It would be glorious. :allears:

e:typo

The anime would probably be more poorly animated than the Manga.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Roland Jones posted:

After Saitama, Watchdog has the most cartoony appearance in the comic. Meanwhile Genos and a few others have hyper-detailed, "cool" appearances. It's an inverted bell curve, the further to either side you are, the more powerful. If you're a regular person who isn't either really awesome or completely silly (and really awesome), you're hosed.
Hey man, what about Horse in a suit hero? That guy is pretty wacky.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
No words can be said which accurately portray my love for this manga.

Gentlemen this is just the beginning, start to finish this manga will be glorious.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nahxela posted:

Hey man, what about Horse in a suit hero? That guy is pretty wacky.

Amazon.com Horse Mask posted:

This mask imbues the wearer with super-human abilities. The power to make everyone around you feel akward and uncomfortable being first among them. After wearing the mask for several days my identity was consumed and replaced. There is only the horse now. Best purchase I ever made.

I do so hope that this is where his inspiration for that guy comes from.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
For those who actually care about silly inconsequential things such as differences in scanlation groups, Boon (the guy who was originally doing OPM) has picked back up after finishing his other series Molester Man, so you can read his releases which are thankfully devoid of the watermarks the other group went crazy with.

Batoto
Boon's blog

In news from Japan, the next chapter is overdue by about 4 days and Murata seems to have gone missing, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that he's busy saving the world by showing the invading aliens his art and making them feel emotion for the first time.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 14, 2013

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Oh gently caress, Murata totally strikes me as the cliche manga guy that literally works himself to death, I hope he's okay.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Well, by missing I just mean he hasn't been updating his twitter, so he's probably fine. Murata IS a tremendous workaholic and perfectionist, but he's been like that since forever, and also this isn't the first chapter that's been late. There's probably nothing to worry about.

He was also redrawing and editing pages on the last chapter as recently as the 8th (and the new chapter was supposed to be out on the 10th), so there's more than likely some "aagh this chapter is only ridiculously good instead of absolutely perfect, this will never do, I will redraw everything" going on.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Speaking of translating One-Punch Man, guess what the new series in Weekly Shonen Jump is? :getin:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Raku posted:

Oh gently caress, Murata totally strikes me as the cliche manga guy that literally works himself to death, I hope he's okay.

I think all published manga artists do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

Speaking of translating One-Punch Man, guess what the new series in Weekly Shonen Jump is? :getin:

I was just coming here to say that. It's going to be part of SJ Alpha, so it'll be online through a Viz subsciption.