Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus Christ, that GIF of the opening pages. I cannot deal with how good Murata is. Love this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MrCinos posted:

So if someone else won't translate/scanlate OPM we'll see the next chapter in English in the beginning of Jan 2013. Which is good enough for me since Molester Man (don't judge it by the title) is an excellent series too and I anticipate its chapters even more than OPM ones now.

Boon sure knows how to find gems.
Does he! You're a name-dropping jerk and now I've gone and spent time that was meant for writing a paper reading all of Molester Man. You're right, that one really shouldn't be judged by its cover! As a huge fan of the original Train Man, I'm completely in love already.

But that's off topic. How long does it usually take for higher quality scans to hit the net? For the special one-shot, I mean.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

So the new chapter is out in Japanese, and it turns out that all the coloring stuff that Murata was streaming the past few days was for this chapter, which is in glorious full color. And if you follow Hunter x Hunter the cover has a nice reference.

Pretty much the entire chapter in an animated gif: snip amazing

Jesus Christ, Murata.

Is that really necessary? I'm not even an artist and I feel inferior.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Was the second half of the chapter in the original translated release? I don't remember it at all. While I miss exploding arm, god drat the rain effects on that page after the initial punch.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Do it, it's totally worth it. And ONE's art isn't as awful as people make it seem. It is fairly poor quality, but the actual composition is quite good; good enough that you can pretty easily tell what's going on despite the otherwise poor quality.
To be fair, ONE's art is definitely not good, but when it's being compared to Murata, just about everything looks like utter trash.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Logically speaking, the cat that belongs to the strongest man in the world must be the strongest cat in the world
The King Engine is meowing?

I haven't read the manga so I don't know what that means, but man does it sound cool.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EDIT: Nevermind, not worth getting into. Really looking forward to the next arc if so many people agree that it's even better than this one. Boros was a pretty great villain, and I want to see more of Handsome Mask and the other S-rank Heroes.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ottumon posted:

Yeah, it's typed as ドドドド... (dodododo). Now that I think of it, you see quite a bit of it in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and it's usually translated as (menacing)

Close, it's ドッドッドッドッ。Read all together it would be doddoddoddo like King of Solomon said, with the double d sound being like a quick pause between each Do. In that way, it could sound like an engine running or at least idling. But I guess it could also be a bunch of individual ドッ's, which would then be a bunch of loud quick Do's, like how あ is just Ah, but あっ is more like a gasp or realization, "ah!" If I'm making any sense at all. I'm more inclined towards the first description, but only a native/fluent or someone who's read ahead I suppose can be sure.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Whoa. I have a reversible poster on my wall that is the first half of each of those spreads. I never knew there was more to them! That's awesome!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I love comedy manga but I do a lot more smiling and chuckling than I do genuine laughing. That loving one shot had me dying like every other page. So simple but so perfect.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sometimes I read the Murata chapter and I'm so blown away by how good it is that I have to go read the ONE version to see how it compares. I don't do this very often. The ONE version is fine for writing and composition, but I'll pick the Murata version every time. It's just so drat pretty and worth the wait.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I want volume release King Face printed and framed on my wall.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

that said this isn't even a gory manga so i'm not sure why you think it'd be toned down or whatever

That depends on your definition of gory.

I mean, it doesn't bother me personally, but I think there are definitely some people in this world that might see exploding flesh and eyeballs flying out of mangled corpses as at least marginally gory.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I want to travel to an alternate world where 4Kids dubbed the whole series just to see how they manage to squeeze Robin, Franky, and Brooke into that increasingly tight space in the opening.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I wanna see Saitama and the tournament really bad, but goddamn Metal Bat is badass.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jwang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWefSrqDtLE

Further proof that Murata's One Punch Man is drawn so good that it can be a flip-book animation. I'd post it in the anime thread, but it has too much spoilers.

Good video, but it makes me further mourn the loss of "SCHOOL CHILD." The anime's one flaw.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

True, I was really looking forward to see him sinking the building and it's a shame it didn't make it in. I guess it's unfair to hold anything 100% up to Murata's standards though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

As a fan of both Tokusatsu and Things That Are Very Funny, I greatly enjoyed this chapter.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Relin posted:

I am very disappointed in the lack of King figurines

I too would like to see more of King's figurines

I bet he has a lot

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

im the guy having viewing two heroic man asses.

That's Atomic Samurai's apprentice, Okamaitachi, which is a great pun.

Also yeah Saitama is just eating a chunk of rice that looks like his head. I bet Genos made it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

And More posted:

Something I'm slightly confused about is the tournament's purpose in this arc. Wasn't there initially supposed to be some dude in a wolf costume who everyone thought was Garou? Whatever happened to that? Instead we got Suiryu who can kick well.

As far as I understand it, the guy in the wolf mask was Garou from the previous tournament, and his using a mask is the reason Saitama got disqualified after his wig came off. The initial purpose of the tournament was for Saitama to experience real martial arts before going after Garou (I think?).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

I thought we agreed Jotaro would be the judge.

No, Jotaro's stand will be the judge.

Also, while I agree the release schedule has been terrible, I have enjoyed every single chapter that has come out and only beamoaned the length. While I haven't read the original webcomic, I have faith that the characters and such introduced in the current arc will likely have some bearing on the next arc.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like Pri Pri Prisoner as a character and I also accept that he is an unfortunate stereotype. That said, the rapist angle is, as far as I know, mentioned once in his backstory and never brought up again and instead he spends his time being cool and funny and beating the poo poo out of monsters so he is more of a Cool Dude than a Bad Dude IMO.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Am I the only one thinking that the kid will save Garou?

It would take some severe bullshit for him to turn this one around, I think the kid has to come out and give him his opening to get away.

Action-wise this may have been the coolest chapter of OPM yet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RatHat posted:

Yeah Mangastream called it Iron Whirlwind Murderous Fist.

The Zan in this case can (and often does) refer to killing/murdering humans as much as it does plain slicing. It's the kanji used in Akame Ga Kiru for example, and is translated as kill in every instance there.

Not to defend Mangastream, they are often awful, but I'd say it's fine in this instance.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Can't wait to read that chapter.

Also, I was in a used book store yesterday and stumbled upon something called The Mangaka's Late-Night Snack Research Lab thanks to Murata's distinct artstyle and apparently it's a short manga-slash-cookbook he published in another magazine that was compiled last year. So just in case anyone was still wondering whether or not this guy can do literally anything, the answer continues to be yes he can.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Insane chapter, but also I can't believe after all this time he's still writing "Draw By Murata."

Somebody teach this man the word Art.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

The Metal Bat segments were new too.

The existence of the Metal Bat fight alone makes me so confused by the 'The ONE version is better' people. You can like it more, sure, you can try and claim that it's the better story or is better written/paced/told ect all you want, but until that version has a beautiful spread wherein a lovable hotblooded street punk hits the ground with a baseball bat so hard that all of the surrounding cars loving bounce up off the ground it is an inherently inferior work.

Frankly that scene or one like it should be required in any and all forms of media going forward.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, the much more recent series was called Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight. While it was localized once or twice in old shows as Masked Rider, it is now firmly Kamen Rider in English in the show and on the merch. The only people who call it Masked Rider are either referring to that one, awful show or are my adorable students who don't know better.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

And More posted:

Carless Rider

Mumen Rider's real name confirmed: George Michael.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Zartosht posted:

I'll just go ahead and say it: Murata is vastly overrated. Sure, he's an excellent draftsman who produces high-quality, detailed art, but he doesn't have an ounce of the creativity that ONE does. Remember, ONE designed all the characters, and does storyboards for the manga chapters (and of course the writing). Everything that actually makes OPM great comes from ONE.

Read the original. :colbert:

Come on. ONE is a fantastic writer and panelist, but there is also a reason almost no-one had heard of One Punch Man before Murata redid it and that success (it's popularity both as a manga and due to the anime adaptation) is due to the Murata version. And in turn, the only reason the Murata version and the anime are as successful as they are is because of ONE's strong writing and layouts.

They're partners, we don't need to argue who is better. But if we're going to give credit, I would give a little more than that to the guy who makes the great story a visual spectacle in addition to a great read rather than trying to appreciate something that's funny but also drawn a few steps down from the quality seen at the end of HxH's Greed Island.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

There's also a gulf of difference between 'can't do' and 'doesn't want to do.'

I'm sure he could draw regular clothes absolutely perfectly if he put his mind to it, the man just likes titties and muscles more than realism and hell, same.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"The eternal, immortal #1 manga."

I guess he's a fan

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

my guy is outrageously horny
And god bless him for it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The racist bit in ES21 is bad but it is thankfully A) racist in an ignorant, not hateful way and B) contained to one game and does not affect the rest of the series until that character briefly comes back right at the end.

And yeah some of the "special abilities" in ES21 are off the all absurd or just normal poo poo played up that way and it is all fantastic. It's my #2 favorite manga.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm honestly not sure if I can think of a moment in a manga that knocked me the gently caress out as hard as Hiruma's Third Question did. Murata made it outstanding to look at but Inagaki deserves just as much praise.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Which moment was this?

For the people who haven't read it yet, this is a major ES21 moment so don't read it!

Near the beginning of the series, Hiruma asks Mamori three questions and says if she gets one of them wrong she'll have to do anything he says. He asks her two questions, then fucks off without asking a third. It is never mentioned again...

Until literally two hundred some chapters later when Hiruma gets tackled by the previously mentioned Biggest High Schooler Ever and has his arm broken. Maybe both? I forget. Anyway, Mamori is taking care of him in the locker room and Hiruma says he's going to keep playing despite his injuries. Mamori is very sensibly against this but out of nowhere, Hiruma says something like, "Question #3. There have been players who continued playing football despite having broken bones. True or False?"

Mamori sees right through him and understands if she answers True that he'll insist on going back to the field. She says false, thus getting the third question wrong so he enforces the terms from before and makes her bandage him up so he can go back out.

Hiruma had long since been one of the best characters ever to me, but that moment forever cemented him and the series as all time greats to me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The talk in this thread finally inspired me enough to start reading ES21, which I've been meaning to do for a few years now, but never got around to.

I have to say, I'm only at the part where the Devilbats just got off their flight to America, after the game against the Aliens, but I'm not really seeing where the manga itself is being as racist as some people said.

///

Not trying to suggest this manga is free from anything problematic (that Shin commentary made me cringe more than anything else, even Grandma's comment of 'the power of black jumping', which I could kind of wave off as 'be proud of your people'), I was just expecting...a lot worse.

Guess there's always time for me to eat my words still to come, though.

No, that's literally it. People tend to exaggerate when talking about ES21's racism. That bit with Panther is the only thing like that in the whole series and like I mentioned before and as you mentioned in your post it is not racist in a hateful way, just an ignorant way. Morgan's iffy design and "Black athletes are literally superior" are the whole thing, it's completely overblown.

EDIT: Also yeah, ES21 ends with the Christmas Bowl and the final chapter. The bits in between with the All Star teams and whatnot is pure extra fanservice and it is loving awesome IMO. Triple Dragonfly, man. Triple Dragonfly.

EDIT2: I guess someone could try to argue racism re: the designs of the Egyptian-themed team but that is so low on the "Racism" scale that you'd have to be looking for something to get mad about to take issue with it, IMO.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 28, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

the idea that someone has to be looking to be offended is so dumb, like let people critique poo poo

"black athletes are just better" ideas also folds into centuries of fetishization of black bodies and sees them as objects and also writes off whatever black folks arent good at sports or have large penises or whatever standards you're holding black people too. Like I get what you're saying but "I was expecting much worse" made me wince. Yeah it could be worse, but it's still bad and I think it's important to understand why because you can always enjoy something while recognizing why exactly its harmful

No no, I specifically meant that regarding my last point about people potentially calling racism on the Sphinx's designs.

I make no excuses for the Power Of Black Athletes thing. It is a perfectly legitimate criticism and worth discussing and it has talked about been plenty already.

What annoys me is that it's brought up whenever ES21 comes up as if that issue or racism in general is pervasive throughout the entire goddamn series when it's actually only found in that one arc and centered on that one character. That's what they meant (I think) by expecting much worse, as in more than just one problematic issue. It'd be one thing if the NASA arc ended and then later down the line another team with a Black Dude showed up and they had to Overcome The Power Of The Blacks or something, but it doesn't.

"ES21 has an arc with some problematic racist poo poo in it" vs "ES21 is incredibly racist" are two completely different arguments and whether joking or serious the latter is said much more often, especially on this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

ah my b

yeah, i don't think those parts were written intending to be hateful, but i would never say it was intended to be respectful, and it's kept me from really enjoying it.

then again, maybe it shouldn't since it does seem to come more from places of ignorance rather than any outward malice. it's just, yeah it could have been worse, but it could have been better and I personally don't like just glossing over it, even if comparably it isn't a big part. obviously tons of people like, and it for absolutely valid reasons, it's just always been hard for me to recommend and i gotta go elsewhere for my Sports Fix

i dunno man, it's early and im rambling!

It's all good! I should've been clearer with my wording. :)

It's up to each person's interpretation and background how much something will bother them. I'm not black so it's way easier for me to write it off as not a big deal if I ignore the loaded history of people doing and saying stuff like that as fact. But instead I totally see how it could bother people enough to turn them off the series as a whole. I think it's unfortunate since there's so much good in the series, but it's not up to me to decide where people's lines are drawn.

It's always better to think in terms of "it could be better," but given the common ignorance of the Japanese wrt to other races and cultures, I think "it could have been worse" is the best thing that can be said about the Panther stuff. It really could have gotten so much worse. Thankfully it didn't. He's a great character and his story is definitely intended to be against racism considering the circumstances and everything surrounding him, but that ignorant psuedo-science nonsense mucks up the message.

EDIT: This is all very off-topic though, apologies to anyone seeing new posts and hoping for a new chapter. I want one too, I just love ES21 so much.