Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, latest chapter ended with Genos getting dyed in Saitama's colors. Is he becoming stronger? Or just more half-assed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Everyone in the world should
have heard of my feats by now.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I sort of am. I glanced over a few of the originals, and I'm surprised at just how many poses and page layouts were taken directly from the original comic. He may not be able to draw, but he sure does comic storyboarding well.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I just noticed that when they're discussing the damage done to B-City, there's a picture of Beefcake and Babyface on the table.

(How did they get a pre-transformation picture of Beefcake, and yet still not know who Saitama is? They are bad at their jobs.)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/153637/onepunch-man_ch20.5_by_boon-scanlation

We sure are seeing a lot of pre-hairloss Saitama... I imagine he's easier to write for.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Has anyone else noticed the engrish plot summary? It's low resolution, so I've lost a few words, but it's hauntingly beautiful.

My name is SAITAMA. I am a hero. My hobby is hero activity. I became strong too much. Therefore, I am very sad. Any enemy will punch down with one blow. Hair was also lost. Feeling was also lost. I want the ?????? of ?????? in a battle. I would like to meet the strongest enemy. I would like to meet a matchless enemy. And I wold like to punch down with one blow. It is because I am a one punch-man.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Boogaleeboo posted:

e: I mean I know they had that one shot they did together, but it's still such a weird jump from there to "I should totally redrawn your gag comic in ultra high definition".

What's to not get? Two artists do a collaborative work, at some point they're gonna spend some time talking to each other. I wish I could draw like you do, man your writing is really good, badda bing badda boom it's raining chocolate peanutbutter cups.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
There is. It's not great. Walk away, you only have art to lose.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

7c Nickel posted:

Genos shows up and says a line.

Anyone got a translation for his line?

vvvvv: Thanks!

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 28, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

The Gorp posted:

I love the freedom Murata is getting too, but two issues of transformation scenes and no content...
Lets just say I'm getting angsty waiting for the next issue.

So this is what being a fangirl feels like.

What you've gotta realize is that Onepunch Man is a shaggy dog story. The ending is weak by itself, but it gets stronger and stronger based on how much buildup there is. Two complete issues of transformation sequences is par for the course.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Just substitute "the natural power possessed by geniuses," for, "the unique abilities only the blacks possess," and it's a perfect sports series.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Sure he cares. He's all, "Air your complaints, you shits. Or don't. Either is fine. If you keep quiet I'll ignore you forever."

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Here's a fun game, it's called 'count the dragonball references'. Just go through the manga of your choice, and see how often it pays homage to the super-est of saiyans. Obviously Gintama wins that one, with an average of one saiyan showing up every third chapter, but it is drat hard to find a modern shounen jump manga that doesn't have at least one.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Serious Frolicking posted:

For a guy who had no intention of becoming a hero, Genos sure is a natural at it.

In case you hadn't noticed, the majority of the hero organization are self-aggrandizing pricks interested only in getting money and hurting others.

Genos doesn't fit in because he's a natural hero.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Lamebot posted:

[ONE spoilers]I think Garou is undergoing the same metamorphosis saitama went though in his training. He's aware of the nature of his growth and that's why he's on his hunt of ever stronger prey. Maybe we'll see some physical change to mark this.

[more ONE spoilers] Nah. Ultimately Saitama's strength comes, in part, from his overwhelming confidence. Garou doesn't know what he wants, where he's going, who he is, and he tries not to use elements of his strength for personal reasons (the rock smashing wave fist) which is exactly the same kind of limitation everyone else struggles with. Saitama wanted to be a hero, and wanted to be strong, and never flinched from either of these goals. He's just a step more unreal than Garou is.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
He's also a convicted rapist.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Bisse posted:

I think with all this build-up, Sea King has to be the first guy to be able to dodge one of Saitama's punches. I dont think there's a single entity on earth who can block or survive one of those, so the only option left is dodging them.

Do you not know how a Shaggy Dog story works?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This is going to be my answer for "If you could have one superpower" from now on.

Oglaf can be pretty good sometimes.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Fabricated posted:

Someone insane enough to try and make sense of later air gear broke it down for me once.

I guess the one cripple dude isn't really crippled but instead has robot legs (oh and he's also the villain) and in the end his evil plan was to make the super magical perpetual energy generation skate technology of the regalia an easily accessible cheap commodity which would solve the world's energy needs but also give everyone who wanted it the crazy building destroying skatemech power.

So basically he'd save the world but it'd require humanity to be responsible for it; that's bad I guess.

After a bunch of complete nonsense battles the protagonist and bad guy agree to decide the fate of mankind with a race...down a space elevator...starting from low orbit. The protagonist wins and instead of solving the world's energy crisis he releases some sort of power from the super-regalia at the end or whatever the gently caress it was, which lets everyone on Earth fly for a few minutes with no gravity.

And I guess this is a good thing?? Then it ends with the protagonist's crew just skating around having fun. The end.

Basically, the bad guy was going to give everyone free electricity to cure the world's energy crisis, which is welfare. And welfare is bad because it encourages everyone to be greedy jerks.

So libertarian ubermench protagonist challenges the simpering liberal poo poo to the ultimate race to demonstrate his own natural superiority, and then he uses the infinite energy tower to let everyone float for a few minutes before it's destroyed, so they'll all be inspired to bootstrap themselves into better lives instead of having the energy crisis solved for them.

Also obama was a secret Kenyan, and eventually steals the body of a teenage girl, leaving her to rule america in his body while he runs off to rollerblade and hit on boys. They never trade back.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Don't read it in front of anyone who's opinion you care about.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
No, see, he loved the sensation of flying so much it inspired him to be given all kinds of crazy rollerblade stuff. So when everyone else is shown how awesome floating about is, they'll also be inspired to be given crazy rollerblading stuff.

(The whole series isn't exactly a comedy? But it's definitely a high-level parody)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Shadow0 posted:

Saitama repeatedly states he is only doing heroing as a hobby, so you know he's not making money off it.

Even if we assume he were a successful salaryman, living in a Japanese city is hyper expensive, he can't live off his savings.

That's why he lives in an abandoned building in an industrial zone no one else does and only shops when there's a sale, and dresses himself from things a thrift shop throws out. He's basically a squatter hobo, I could totally see him living for a few years on his tiny savings like that.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Nahxela posted:

At the very least, maybe Licenseless Rider will go up a notch. Maybe he'll even get a license.

I hope not, he's the perfect C rank hero. He saves cats from trees and helps find lost objects, he stands up to bullies and he guides old ladies across the street.

If nothing else, having him at rank C-1 means you have to be in some way exceptional to advance to B rank, you can't just do a lot of good until you're promoted beyond your capabilities.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Liar posted:

Soon your posts will literally explode our computers.

I wonder how Saitama stays in shape now that he basically sits around eating discount food all day.

I imagine beating monsters into paste is a relatively good workout, focusing on the muscles you need to beat a monster into paste.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Ak Gara posted:

Didn't he mention how he's become dissociated with humanity near the start of the comic? That could probably cause some issues with any self written paper.

Dude's just a bit of an awkward loner. Remember the high school flashback, we see him talking back to the angry teacher trying to make an example of him the first time someone missed homework in class. The teacher just wants to chew out someone who didn't do their homework in front of the class to hammer home the idea that you've gotta do your homework, it's important. Saitama tries to engage with the teacher logically, which isn't what anyone wants, because he doesn't know what any other student should do in that situation.... look at the floor and mumble, "Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. Won't happen again, sir," until the teacher says they can sit down.

He probably had the same problem with the written test: A lot of literalistic quibbling in the answers instead of giving the platitudes the test givers want. It's a very common problem, and part of the reason why making an unbiased test is tremendously difficult.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
That guy on the cover page--that's the B Rank hero who fought the fan monster in the bonus chapter, right?

e: Nope, just the guy who's delivering the message to bang's dojo.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What the gently caress I don't like King's design

I know, right? He's pretty solid in the color picture in the OP, but in the manga he looks like he's made of mashed potatoes. You'll lose your place in the character ranking polls if you don't shape up, King!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

AnonSpore posted:

I think he means how everyone is listed in order of power... including Saitama, the B rank hero at the very end.

They're not ranked in terms of power, they're ranked in terms of hero rating--in other words, marketability. The rad old martial artists and the kids are waaaaay high in the ranks, while the crazed multiple rapist is ranked at the bottom of the S class heroes.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

JosephWongKS posted:

Liceneless Rider and Genos like him for it. :colbert:

I like how Genos was on the path to being a perfectly generic, terrible S hero before he met Saitama, a destructive, heartless jerk on a self-obsessed quest for revenge. But it wasn't that he was a bad person... he just cared about the things everyone agreed he should care about. Now he's got a role-model... a penniless hobo shut-in antisocial malcontent, and so he's dedicating himself to being the best drat hero he can be.

Licenseless Rider is beyond reproach, of course.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/224022/onepunch-man_ch32v4_by_nerieru-scans

Lord Bors got an art upgrade! To be fair, he looked a bit like Saitama in a dumb costume the first time around.

And.... that's it!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

e X posted:

You people don't get the point of a spoiler box, do you?

Sure they do, they're to conceal spoilers from the most recent issue of the Onepunch Man redraw.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

AtomikKrab posted:

I am seriously considering doing that. is there an :ok: ?

If only you had somehow just found out.

E: Seriously, two things to keep in mind. One, the odds are it will get no use out of this thread. And two, the OK pops up with a jaunty little angle, and has that little tremble, so it looks excited. If you want it to be the unimpressed emoticon, maybe have it fade in slowly from black and have a period? So that you don't have to recognize Saitama to get the right message.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 3, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Suspicious Lump posted:

What's the deal with ONE, is he a writer and not an artist? Is he working on something else?

He's a writer and an artist, but he usually only puts effort into being a writer.

Mostly he's working on Mob Psycho 100 which looks generic and terrible but is actually pretty great.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Shadow0 posted:

Alright, I'm confused. Am I watching the wrong JoJo? I was under the impression all stand names were <color> + <tarot card> / <tarot card> + <color>.

During season 3, Stardust Chronicles, yes. During all the other JoJos, there were a lot of band names. It gave the story a certain insouciance then the three vampire gods threatening to destroy the world were named Cars, Wham, and AC/DC.

(The huge number of copyrighted names is why there's been no official english translation)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Timid posted:

It might be just me, but i really wanted king to be the real deal

King isn't the hero we want, but he's the hero we need.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

mabels big day posted:

Garou's hair is definitely supposed to look like that, and it's very faithful to the original.

But everything in the original looks like a poorly drawn mess.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Is Mob Psycho 100 over? It kind of feels like it might be.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Lamebot posted:

What has Saitama experienced that he can no sell all this absurd stuff?

Remember when the planet's anger manifested itself to destroy all humanity for its crimes? How a single entity with the power to wipe man's hubris away appeared, forcing mankind to unite its efforts or have its cities swept away like sand castles before a vast and uncaring ocean?

Yeah, that was chapter one.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Astro Nut posted:

It really is a testament to the writer's ability to have 'can defeat anyone in a single punch' as the running joke of the manga and still make it work, only ever needing addendums of 'but first he needs to get in that punch' or 'so long as he's not holding back'.

Those aren't the addendums, or even terribly important. There's not any question as to the winner of any fight Saitama's in, and pretending that he might somehow get killed by Fubuki's Hell Wind -> Psychic Tornado -> Concrete Beartrap -> Boxcutter combo string if he doesn't get serious fast enough is just silly.

Onepunch Man works the same way a good Superman story does--it's not a question of whether or not he can defeat Asura Rhino, or Braniac, or Goku. It's just a story about someone who can walk into any bank vault on the planet and take absolutely everything, but has the strength not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Parrotine posted:

I think it is kind of jarring how I'm looking forward to this Manga more than all the other action Manga out there that are played straight.

Good news!

http://bato.to/read/_/302587/onepunch-man_ch43_by_nerieru-scans

Oh, Sonic-Chan, you're more beautiful each time I see you.