Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

Somehow looking at Saitama in the manga I always envisioned him having a higher pitched voice than he does in the anime. Not a LOT higher, but say, somewhere around Luffy's pitch instead of Zoro's pitch.

That's not a criticism in any way, just something that surprised me a bit. I love the anime. I was a bit disappointed when I realized it was only going to be 12 eps but then watching how fast they made it through what, 4 chapters? in episode 1 made me realize that there probably isn't enough content for 24-26 episodes yet. Better to shorten it than toss in some garbage filler that wouldn't do the source justice.

Felt like rereading some old chapters; where's it being hosted these days?

I tried mangareader, but that was a big pile of poo poo. Some chapters seemed to be missing, some were half-scanned or failed to load and some chapters repeated with a new number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The King engine revving up gets me every time.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's the kind of joke that works better in a comic, because it's also sort of a comment on the medium as well. "Stop relying so much on text boxes, show, don't tell" the protagonist screams, taking a giant dump on Tim Buckley and people like him. In anime form, it could be very hard to process the humor and frankly it wouldn't have been a big issue if they skipped it entirely to do their own take on it.

As we got it, I am just thankful it wasn't longer, but whether it went on for too long is really a matter of how many times are you really going to see that scene. You can endure it the once time, but I can imagine dreading that scene for a rewatch of the show. In the manga, you can just skip the panels entirely.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno about the rest of you, but the only reason I'd rewatch a series is to show it off to someone else and having them not sit through the 2 minutes scene would be doing them a disservice.

And yes, "dreading" is a hyperbole. Weirdos.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It feels like One-punch man is sort of the hero that the people who write Superman comics in the west wish they could write him as, but just straight up fail to.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

C'mon, let's not start this. Supes has a ton of great comics out there.

Admittedly, I stopped reading Superman after the 90's and have kind of assumed the spiral continued.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The last OPM I read was labeled 84 or something. The numbering got all whack. I think I need to just buy them if my store has them yet.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The final one is just the Midgard serpent, except it is a centipede.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Aurain posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1

Murata is streaming himself drawing what is probably Volume 10's insert drawings right now.

He's quite fond of that psychic girl, huh?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

Genos is like that D&D player who thinks that any NPC the GM puts there has to do with his character's elaborate backstory.

It's not like cyborgs/androids/robots are that much of a common occurrence, even in-universe, so Genos being suspicious of other mechanoids is kinda natural.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brainamp posted:

Weaker than Saitama < Weaker than Saitama < Weaker than Saitama < Weaker than Saitama < Saitama

Casual slap < Normal punch < Normal Chain punch < Serious punch

deadly_pudding posted:

Is this one of those things where Christians co-opted the word "god" for their deity's name, and get pissy about it, or is it one of those things like screaming "FRICK" at the top of your lungs and acting like it doesn't have the exact same intent and meaning as screaming "gently caress"

I read some crazy poo poo on this website from time to time, but this is kinda peak pet peeve. I think I read somewhere that the Christian God's actual name is supposed to have the first two letters capitalized. So, GOd, not just God. It is still worth noting that God is then a name and god is a type of being. Deity is sort of what you use when referring to another religions gods beside the one you worship yourself, if I recall correctly.

Anyone learned in this stuff, please feel free to correct my misunderstandings here.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 20, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

Im Genos' frizzled hair in the background of Dr. Stench's lab.

I know, I saw you! You made that scene!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Also it gives us more Saitama so it's worth having.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
We call it filler, but really, it's just a bunch of "meanwhile, this happened"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I hope they make a few special edition prints just for that, just so I can do a flip-book impression when introducing new people to One-Punch Man.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
"Take it up with the meteor, you dumbasses" encapsulates the events fair enough.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
And then there's Kagerou Project.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

Am I supposed to prefer the tv version? Because I do. There's something weird about the artstyle of the DVD one that makes it awful to look at. I'm not even sure how to describe it.

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, the tv stuff looks low budget but tolerable. The DVD/bluray stuff is like... waaay too chibi. They've all turned into tiny children.

You people are broken by the poo poo that was Aku no Hana. It's not good or well-made.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

I've never seen it, nor do I even know anything about it. I just know that something about the colors on that one comparison shot makes my eyes hurt to look at. The TV version might be simple, but I can look at it without cringing, so I'll take it if push comes to shove.

Fair enough, I can't disagree on that front. I assume it looks better in motion.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Cool, the local hobbystore is selling the manga now. I picked up the two first volumes and I read the first one, but I don't quite *get* the bonus story at the end. Did it have any connection with the snowman later?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't actually watch the show, but according a goon earlier it was a flashback to when they were children and the scene looked very different from the rest of the show altogether.

Trying to look it up online is just more confusing and makes me have more questions.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The hero counsil seems really inapt at recognizing the true worth of heroes. Like, how do they even have all these tests that measure peoples capabilities yet aren't even good enough to recognize just how limitless Saitama's strength is when S-class heroes are already so strong as Tazumaki?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm not sure it'd be very satisfying if Saitama were quickly recognised for what he truly is.

I'm not saying he should have been, it's far more entertaining to watch idiots fumble with numbering and rankings and get it all wrong than someone actually competent getting involved in doing things the most effective way. Just saying Blast might be a correlation of poor decision-making. I'd like to add overestimation, but we already have King, who is perfect in every way.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If I understood the bonus comic of the second volume correctly, that is also the real secret to his strength: He never stopped beating up monsters. And at some point lost a tooth or something.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

Anybody have a link to that chapter?

http://imgur.com/a/fTIQJ

And the missing page

loving King looks so badass.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There's a good reason to save on the budget for this episode (or technically, work on the next episodes more than this one and just push this one out asap)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Sweet Masks true form is that of the Alien Queen, disguised as bishi human, ready to lay her eggs inside other bishi's so she can create a race of bishi monsters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Personally I hope King takes it on himself to train at some point and become the hero everyone believes him to be. He is like my favorite character and I can only feel sadness at the idea that anime only people will only get a small taste of the power that is the King Engine.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
On my headphones, the whole song used in that video seems really left-heavy, at least at the start.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's JAM Project and it is gold. That is all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Metal Knight uses the same model android he used to blow up the asteroid. A Murata slip-up or intended?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress you Garou, picking on someone already wounded from battle.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Some real monster hating posters in this thread

I look forward to the conclusion, where Saitama's heaviest punch lands the heaviest blow on his motherfucking soul.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

I just noticed the King Engine roaring in the background.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The king engine was fine, nobody comments on it until the arc with the monster bird and I assume the loudness will become more evident then to the point where it lives up to our expectations.

You know, in season 2.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

All of the SFX for the King Engine in the Viz release is translated as a distinct "RMBL RMBL", which sounds less like the "ba-bump" of a heartbeat and more like an actual engine to me, but it's all up to interpretation really.

That's on Viz, I guess, because in the original japanese it is just "GoGoGoGo" over and over, which is used as the onomatopoeia in Japanese for something menacing, regular heart beating and rumbling, so it isn't like they were wrong, but clearly the anime people conferred with ONE on how it should sound like and that is what we got.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, it's different in this shot:

Which one was using in the meeting room?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They wouldn't have added the King engine if they didn't feel the same way, but we all regret we won't see it until a season 2 is approved. And it'll not be until end of Garou arc.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If you don't adjust your volume during the intro to where the base makes your books fall off the shelves, then you might be watching One Punch Man wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Work Friend Keven posted:

Who would win in a fight, superman or one punch man?We will assume a silver-age superman.

I asked this randomly a week ago to a friend and his reply was quite eloquent:

quote:

Saitama has the plot power that he wins no matter what but no one gives him credit except for good people, Superman has the plot armor that he's stronger than you for story purposes but can lose if it means a happier ending
so Saitama would win, but everyone would think Supes won
except for Supes who becomes friends with Saitama