Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mystic Mongol posted:

Is he becoming stronger? Or just more half-assed?

Why can't it be both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Continues. To. Be. ABSOLUTELY loving AMAZING. Holy poo poo that last page.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 16, 2012

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autumncomet posted:

Saitama and Genos have the best interactions. :allears:

Genos truly is the perfect sidekick for a half-assed dude like Saitama.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Medaka Box characters: 15 pages of :words: and :smug:
:geno: Scribbly-Saitama: "Uh... come again?"

That would be the best.

Saitama wouldn't let them go on for 15 pages, though. Genos got in barely two panels of :words: before Saitama told him to give it to him in "one short and simple sentence of max. 10 words".

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

No, not really. A few character designs have been changed, and a few scenes have been padded out to be more impressive. For example Oldface the brainy mad scientist really lives up to his name in the original. Sonic doesn't have that bun that makes him look even more effeminate. Mosquito Girl looked fairly horrific in ONE's version. The undergrounders look completely different. etc.

As for scenes, a few of them have been changed slightly. For example Genos and Saitama's spar in the most recent chapters was quite shorter in the original, being spread out over two chapters instead of finished in one. But by and large, over 80% of any given Murata chapter will be more or less cut for cut the same as ONE's. I could cut and paste any number of the more memorable scenes from ONE's version and you'd probably be able to recognize them immediately.

So ONE's kinda like ZUN, then. Good at design / layout, not so good at the technical execution. Also they both have three-letter nicknames. ONE probably doesn't drink as much as ZUN, though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm highly disappointed in this chapter. I expected Onepunch Man but only got Onechop Man.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tank Top Tiger
Speed of Sound Sonic / Elbow Joint Panic

This series has the best superhero / super-villain names.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://mangafox.me/manga/onepunch_man/c021/1.html

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

I love how the guy in a dog costume is so competent.

And of all the heroes mentioned during that meeting, the guy in the dog costume was the only S-Class one.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mad Lupine posted:

At first when I read this chapter, it seemed kind of boring without Saitama. After reading these responses and rereading the chapter, I see now how wrong I was. drat this is a great series!

It's a sign of how much you've already taken the bizarreness of the world for granted, and how high the bar that Onepunch Man has set.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So now we know that Saitama's far from invincible. He's deathly afraid of missing Special Sale Day and missing Burnable Trash Day.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaganGoatPants posted:

I hope he shows up again in the future as Two Punch Man.

No no. He becomes the new Onepunch Man, while Saitama becomes Onewink man.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liar posted:

Also now I'm wondering when we'll see Tanktop Man. Wonder if he's anything like long-time cosplay weirdo Man-Faye.

I think Tanktop Man is the guy on the bottom-left here.

He's a man, wearing a tanktop. Therefore, he must be Tanktop Man.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I went back to read the chapter again, and I note that Tanktop Man is S-Class Rank 14 while "Metal Bat" is S-Class Rank 15 and "Huff-Puff Pri(????)" is S-Class Rank 16.

"Metal Bat" must be the guy with a pompadour holding a metal bat to the right of Saitama. I wonder who "Huff-Puff Pri(????)" is, though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

I'll give you a hint: the "Pri" stands for Prisoner

That means he's the cleft-chinned man in the prisoner's outfit right above Metal Bat. Looking forward to seeing how the "Huff-Puff" part of his title comes in.

EDIT: I'm so completely hyped to see all these guys in action and find out how wielding a metal bat, wearing a tank-top, huff-puffing, and wearing a dog costume gets them their S-Class rankings.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 6, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quote =/= Edit.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

The pinkie reveals a twist!

Also, :laffo: It's three dimensional.

Murata is truly one of the greatest artists of our time.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore, could you delete the second paragraph in your post above? It contains a spoiler not for the latest released chapter but for the chapter following thereafter.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Einander posted:

...though, that said, (talking about the future chapter spoiler) if you didn't guess that's exactly what's going to happen, you haven't been paying very much attention.

Future chapter spoiler Well, I was hoping that Genos would finally get his moment of glory for once.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good_Haro posted:

I couldn't help but laugh when Murata tweeted the other day that after doing that full color chapter, black and white seems so easy he now thinks he could easily do 100 pages a week! I think he inked the last 18 pages in 10 hours.

:drat: Murata is a mad mofo of a genius.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Colon Semicolon posted:

I wonder if Saitama will ever get a hero name or they'll just roll with 'Rank S no. 5 Saitama'
I mean with the comic's name you'd expect he's eventually gonna get SOMETHING.

He's not Rank S No. 5, though. He's Rank C No. 5.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

I read through this entire goddamn series in one day and I loved it. I want to be like Saitama when I grow up.

That's the good thing about Saitama - anyone can be like him. Just follow his training regime for three years:

(a) 100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats and 10 km running, every single day;

(b) you have to eat three meals a day, but in the morning, a banana should be enough;

(c) never use your air-conditioner, whether in winter or in summer; and

(d) never, ever take a single day off.

If you are completely bald at the end of the three years, you know you've succeeded.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 16, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

Nope, it's posted online. Thus all the fancy storyboard-esque sequences that have to be changed when it's collected into volumes.

He can pretty much do whatever he wants whenever. It's just lucky that he is apparently the most industrious mangaka alive. We'd be SOL if Murata (of Berserk fame) was doing this.

Berserk is done by Kentaro Miura, not Murata.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kild posted:

Will this ever get turned into an Anime?

It's already better animated than the average anime series.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pierson posted:

God the jump from #3 to #2 and #2 to #1 is insane.

One Piece still hasn't beaten Dragonball? :stare: Just how crazy popular was Dragonball in its time?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

PringleCreamEgg posted:

drat, looks like this chapter is pointing out that Speed of Sound Sonic Sonic Baby isn't a chump, since he's doing the best against Deep Sea King. Makes Saitama look even stronger by comparison.

Fixed for you. Huff Puff Prisoner is amazing. :swoon:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Link for your convenience - http://www.batoto.net/read/_/170813/onepunch-man_ch24_by_boon-scanlation

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

Translated chapter's up on Boon's site.

Also on Batoto.

Even in his second form, the Sea King still retains his nipple pasties. :v:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never cheered a complete no-sell so hard before.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadow0 posted:

I thought about this a while ago, but what does Saitama do for money?

Now that he's a registered Hero, I'd presume that he gets a stipend or allowance from the Heroes' Association. Before that, he was probably living off his savings from the days when he was still a salaryman.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaganGoatPants posted:

Sonic Sound of Speed!

Sonic's a human and not a "monster", though. I don't think Saitama's actually killed any humans in the series so far.

AnonSpore posted:

Nah, Genos probably quickly offers to pay for everything before Saitama actually says anything. Saitama kinda follows along in this "uhh well sure dude, thanks" sort of way.

It's actually kind of heartwarming how completely and utterly Genos hero-worships Saitama. Even if no one else recognises Saitama's greatness, his disciple always will.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timid posted:

I really really really really really hope ONE never explains how Saitama gets that strong. It would ruin the whole series for me.

ONE has already explained how Saitama got that strong, here, here and here. I hope this doesn't ruin the series for you.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Guys, there's no need to explain the origin of Saitama's powers. They are already explained. He did strength training for a year and lost all his hair and became invincible. That's it! There's nothing else there. He just did strength training and became a superhuman. I see no reason why I should reject that explanation and speculate on some "truly" superheroic cause, because this is a work of fantasy and primarily a comedy at that.

Not "a" year. He had trained for three years. This is important.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abitha Denton posted:

You expect us to believe someone reached A rank just by doing 100 sit-ups, 100 push-ups, and 10 mile runs every day with air conditioning on? Go on, pull the other leg.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Saitama did 100 pushups, 100 situps, and ran a bunch of kilometers every day. That's all he did, and that's the joke. I don't understand why people are sperging out and demanding that this isn't the correct answer.

Why do people keep forgetting the 100 squats? Are squats the red-headed stepchild of exercise routines?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

international owl day posted:

All of which were probably hospitalized for weeks.

Except for Genos. He doesn't need hospitalization, he just needs a good mechanic.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I wonder if there is any inspiration drawn from this by Murata.

I wonder if ONE drew any inspiration from elsewhere for the nipple heart pasties, or if he came up with that all on his own.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nipples come up alot in this manga, for some reason. :shrug:

Hmm...

There does seem to be a trend, doesn't there?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brought To You By posted:

The extra chapter released in the Tankobon has been translated and put up on Batoto

With it comes the revelation that...Holy poo poo I thought people were joking when they said Pri-pri-prisoner was a rapist

Now you are just exaggerating, aren't you?

EDIT: No, you are not. What the hell, ONE? :stare:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope people see Licenseless Rider as being the last hero to fight and weaken Sea King before Saitama capitalized on his efforts, and he finally becomes a Licensed Rider.

HenryEx posted:

I see you have never owned a cat. They are notorious for repaying their debts.

"Rains of Castamere" does centre around "a cat of a different claw".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kegslayer posted:

Holy poo poo this series. I binged through the Jump version and then the webcomic. It's one of the best series I've seen and I thoroughly enjoyed every part of it. Are we allowed to talk about the original webcomic version by ONE or is this thread just for version by jump?

This series is just perfect for animation and the original webcomic lays out some really great scenes despite the fact that Murata is a much better artist.

There's a separate thread for the original ONE version.