Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So what are the chances that Saitama will take the fall for the entire no-win scenario, even if he did pull out something better than what anyone dreamed for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Oh, Saitama, I knew they'd hate you for that. :(

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Saitama getting punched in the back of the head to utterly no effect was the first time that trope has actually made me super pumped in nearly a decade.

I agree about Licenseless Rider getting the credit. I want Saitama to accidentally bump him up to S-Rank by the end of the series.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

trucutru posted:

Onesuck-man?

This is going to be my answer for "If you could have one superpower" from now on.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Saitama did 100 pushups, 100 situps, and ran a bunch of kilometers every day. That's all he did, and that's the joke. I don't understand why people are sperging out and demanding that this isn't the correct answer.

To be fair, in most manga, this would be a misdirection that leads to something deeper. This is not most manga.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

onepixeljumpman posted:

Just being a little more honest. On the positive side, that might explain why his power correlates with baldness.

I would be all sorts of okay with this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I love how this oracle apparently didn't notice the giant space rock.

I gotta say, I'm much more pleased with Saitama purposely turning people against him in order to keep their faith in the heroes than some silly handwave about how the organisation gave most of the credit to other heroes because ~reasons~.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nahxela posted:

He will climb the ranks by saving more cats in trees. He will become the S Rank cat saving hero we need :colbert:

~Cat Saver Licenseless Rider~

The next fight he's in, an army of cats he saved will come to his aide and defeat this unknown horror.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nahxela posted:

What about burning shonen biker spirit?

If that was enough he'd have one already.

Spirit only gets you mechs and beam attacks, and Rider doesn't need any of that crap.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's baffling that even the execs doubt Saitama.

It makes okay sense for the general populace, I suppose, but the people at the top have way more knowledge of what he's been doing. How could they buy him cheating on the physical exams? Or just brush off him splattering Sea King over a city block?

Not that it bothers me a whole lot or anything; it's actually amusing. I assume it will just get worse with time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

onepixeljumpman posted:

This works best if you see it in series:

I wouldn't mind if the entire series was done this way from now on.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

international owl day posted:

What I enjoy most about Murata's artwork is his complete disregard for fan-service, where as mangas like Fairy Tail can't seem to go two panels without being overindulgent.

So my question is, does fan-service really move product in japan, or does it just make up for a lack of artistic talent?

It's clearly the former because Saitama looks fuckin' awesome in that second panel.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Guys Sonic's a hedgehog.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RatHat posted:

Keep in mind that's just a step away from S class though.

Well yeah, but it's pretty clear that Saitama defies their entire classification system. He is worlds apart from anyone else.

99% of heroes exist purely to be worfed.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

AgentHaiTo posted:

George Takei was on Conan and said he does 100 push-ups every day and started doing them, and all I could think of was Onepunch Man.

If Takei becomes a superhero, it will be proof of a loving god.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Will Saitama destroy the ship itself, or will he tear his way into the ship and punch every alien individually?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What if the aliens are...

a race of Saitamas???

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sindai posted:

Don't be silly. Then they wouldn't need the spaceship.

They wouldn't need the spaceship, but it's undeniably cool and that's definitely some Saitama logic.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The only thing that was missing was a metal soundtrack

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Saitama not giving any fucks about typical shonen poo poo is the best gag ever, especially when you've got quick sketches paired against gorgeously detailed art.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ding ding ding.

Manga and anime needs more dudes that can't stand irritating speeches about how powerful villains are.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Hahahahaha, that ship is so hosed and obviously Saitama's just going to be irritated.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Before long Murata will be able to just draw gifs on paper.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

KoB posted:

Page 17 is completely blank for me.

There wasn't anything after the shot of Earth from the moon in the raws.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

e X posted:

Some remind me, has Saitaman even thrown a punch yet?

Is Boros still alive?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Saitama's special move: consecutive normal punches. :effort:

gently caress this series is so good

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Saitama has no patience for beam battles

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Oh my goddddddd

I get the feeling that, at this point, Murata is less an inspiration to aspiring artists and more like someone who shatters any confidence they have.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shadow0 posted:

It's so weird seeing him with hair. He looks so much younger. Also his eyes are different. And really most of his face...

Keep in mind, after his transformation, Saitama is usually drawn cartoony as gently caress. I think Saitama with hair looks pretty similar to serious Saitama.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Genos is bishonen Robo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Saitama and King, bros4lyfe

Aw come on man, I don't even know what's going to happen

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If nothing else, it should be obvious by now that they loving suck at ranking heroes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Poor Saitama just wants another really strong, chill guy to be friends with.

As usual, everything about that chapter was inspired.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kuvo posted:

page 8 :allears:

also those poor game consoles

They're Nintendo products, they'll be fine.

RatHat posted:

By the way, most of the stuff with the robot is new for the Murata version.

So basically Murata thought "Okay this arc is cool and all, but does it have enough laser beams and robot fights?" And when it comes to Murata, the answer is no. It is always no.

Hell he even drew a cool rear end mech from a 2D side-scroller just because he could.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Do you read ONE as well? You could be right but it could also be metal knights new robot.

It's really clearly meant as a transition into the next scene. King is playing a shump and the robot has options.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Here's the new chapter on Batoto.

The more Sonic, the better. He's phenomenal.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Parrotine posted:

You guys have weird friends

If you haven't hosed your friends with bowling balls I don't know what you're doing with your life.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Murata probably isn't putting his full effort into side stories. They still look great and all, but side stuff isn't going to get his usual, insane treatment.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Saitama is not going to get along with this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Parrotine posted:

I like how, despite being a parody of shonen comics, the series is actually better paced and structured than most of the shonen series actively trying to be taken seriously. Maybe it's because the series is so unapologetic about its intents right out the gate that it loops full circle to being amazing in all aspects.

That fight with the Sea King? I found myself rooting for that fucker to be taken down, right along other shonen heavyhitters like Crocodile or Cell. And that guy had heart nipples! That is begging your readers to treat him like fluff, but I just can't because One is so drat good with his pacing and set-up.

I'm having trouble figuring out if I should take the series as silly or serious now, the writer and artist toe the line so well it's all but blurred for me at this point.

Well that's the thing that's so wonderful about Onepunch-Man: ONE obviously intended to poke fun at shonen manga, but it came from a place of true appreciation. It might be silly as all hell, but it's equally earnest.