Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Instead of sleeping I just read from where Murata left off up to the most recently translated ONE chapter.

gently caress... now I need to wait. This sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's not the real Genos. He has all his limbs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheKingofSprings posted:

King is Undertale Pacifist except things violently die because of unrelated events when you win

I think that's Iji pacifist.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you're reading this thread, you probably love ONE's stuff.

You owe it to yourselves to watch the first preview trailer for Mob Psycho 100.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8g3TuKsQHs

This looks tremendously stylish.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's a cookie clicker clone.

You push a button to have Saitama defeat a monster, and then a dice roll determines how powerful the monster was in post.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is it meant to end so suddenly?

That's what she said--but enough about my wife.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is that the new* Bionic Commando to Forrest's right?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bisse posted:

I think the latest stuff - the OVA's, Murata-only material, side chapters - have made it painfully obvious that the premise of this series, while hilarious, is not enough to carry an entire series on its own. It also needs a great story with good execution and delivery, which no one but One has been able to pull of to that extent so far.

I can definitely understand you and other people wanting Murata to go ahead with the plot already, but I think it's less a matter of the execution and delivery and more about the series really needing a sense of progress and momentum that some of these side stories have lacked.

One of the strongest points in OPM is how Saitama and his passive attitude contrast with the other heroes and villains and how frenetic they are. Without a plot moving the story forward, a lot of that frenetic energy is lost, and Saitama is left as a straight man with no comic.

Having said that, I don't have too much of a problem with this chapter. A few of the points concerning corruption in the Hero Association and Metal Knight do become relevant in later storylines. I think it's just one of those things where you wait however long for the next chapter to come out that, and when there isn't immediate payoff it's discouraging.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 29, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

pik_d posted:

What are the advantages of bato.to and kissmanga.com because they seem like kinda the same thing to me.

As a reader, there's no tremendous difference between the two, aside from the fact that kissmanga will carry some series that bata.to won't.

Bato.to tries to be friendlier to the industry and to translators. They take down series if they're ever commercially localized, if requested to by either the series owners, and they'll take down specific translations if the fan translators request them to. Because of this, there are a few fan translators who will only upload to bata.to.

Kissmanga and some other sites generally aren't as proactive. They don't take anything down unless they absolutely have to.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wasn't expecting a call back to that.

Too bad it ends before anything actually happens.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I really like this panel.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This tournament has had a pretty miserable start, but now that it's pay off, it's paying off big.

I really love the juxtaposition between the contestants sparing and Genos life-or-death battles. This is the good poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I thirst for the update just so I can see this dude get casually smacked.

The chapter will start with Saitama already having won.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

https://imgur.com/a/1bzKh

new chapter featuring professor dunnojack

So far I haven't read anything but the title page.

The title page is really good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Roaches truly are formidable

Cyborg Types are weak against Bug Types.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

And More posted:

Also: OPM has a slow start?

The pre Genos comics aren't quite as captivating. OPM really benefits from the sense of continuity that develops as it explores its setting. The comic has something of a sense of disassociation before then.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

And More posted:

I hope we can agree, though, that without those first four chapters, none of the other stuff could happen. It's kind of necessary to set up your protagonist before you introduce the sidekick.

I don't, actually. I think the segment where Saitama can't manage to slap mosquito (and concludes with him absentmindedly saving Genos) does a better job of introducing the character than the actual introduction, and the the first four chapters are more effective if you read them following the fight with Asura Rhino.

This is especially evident in the anime. If you ever rewatch the series, try watching them in the episode order: 2, 3, 1. It really improves the flow of the story.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

The way I see it, Fubuki and Tatsumaki are their birth names, but Hellish Blizzard and Terrible Tornado are their Hero names.

So which one of them is the Nagahama Robot series fan?

It's Tatsumaki, right?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tiistai posted:

Really getting the feeling Murata is kind of phoning these in. A lot of closeups, a fairly abrupt chapter end, "oh she got away while we were talking lol".

It's less "oh she got away while we were talking lol" and more "oh she got away because instead of using lethal force I had to hold back to avoid killing your allies."

This isn't to say that this was a super eventful chapter, but I do appreciate seeing more of Fubuki and Tatsumaki's very hosed up relationship.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

So what exactly is the deal with the story etc. atm?

It's half reinforcing certain facts that were known but hadn't been too deeply explored, such as Genos being a legitimately strong hero (despite Saitama showing him up), the relationship between the martial arts world and the heroes association, how different heroes of different rank compare with each other, and half to set up the next arc, what with the sudden increase in monster attacks and monster strength, and the heroes association being streatched dangerously thin.

It's kind of going in a lot of directions at once, which is something of a weakness. While it's cool to see Genos actual win some fights, we kind of already understood that there was some relationship between martial artists and the heroes association, and the tournament doesn't really tell us much more besides confirming that, yes, sucha relationship exists. The same is kind of true with the Fukuki Tatsumaki stuff. We already knew they had a hosed up relationship, and the new chapter doesn't really tell us anything new.

I hope there's more payoff aside from the promise that the next arc will be better.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

Sorry i wasn't clear, I meant with respect to what Murata is adapting and stuff. Is the ONE webcomic ongoing and far ahead or what's the deal between the two?

Depending on how you divide things, ONE's version is two or three storylines ahead.

I promise you, the future is tremendously baller.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It occurred to me that the reason we're getting so much extra character stuff now is probably because the next arc is so tightly paced that they wouldn't be able to fit any extra stuff in once it gets started. Anything ONE wants to add has to get in now, or be put on hold for quite a while.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is it really that big a problem if the show overtakes Murata?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Just judging by the picture, it looks like we're finally segueing into the next arc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ChronoReverse posted:

I personally think Psykos will take him out which was how she was the leader.

Speculation involving future stuff not yet appearing in this adaptation: Alternatively, he might just be another figurehead for Psykos to manipulate, which likely means Tatsumaki will take him.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 21, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Matoi Ryuko posted:

If you wish to talk about characters that have not yet been introduced in the Murata redraw, please take the conversation to the ONE webcomic thread.

The translation of today's chapter is up:

http://mangastream.com/r/onepunch_man/066/3690/1

I love Biting Fist Snake being thrilled at facing a frog themed monster.

I also love Sea King's influence continuing to ripple through the Murata chapters.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Someone should give that sassy lost figure a home.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Do we have any idea what the second season will be covering, storyline wise?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The real problem is that if the second season doesn't conclude the Garou arc, then I'd be worried if we'd ever get it.

The finale of Garou might be four or five episodes if they stretch it, but it isn't enough for a full third season. There probably isn't enough stuff past to make up the difference, either.

Forget the show getting ahead of Murata, it might get ahead of ONE.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Aoi Yuki will be doublecasted in the second season, as the voice of fan favorite character, Garou.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And also to start off explaining the whole deal with hero culture and their public perception, where heros are tossed away if they only manage to hold off the monster instead of flashily defeating them,

I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that this continues to be a thing further on.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EmmyOk posted:

Fubuki is the least interesting of the main ensemble we have seen imo and as such I am deeply suspicious of anyone who thinks she is dah best garlllllllllo

I think you're selling her short. I find Fubiki's role as this half Mafioso half bancho gang leader figure fascinating for a few reasons. For one, it makes perfect sense that an occupation as violent as a professional hero would lead to such groups forming. For another, it speaks about the greater Hero Association that they would tacitly permit such groups. A a superhero street gang is also something that doesn't really have an equivalent in western comics that I can think of--at least, not one so transparent or played so straight.

I like her relationship with her sister, as well. You can see how it's deeply affected her, beyond just a sense of inadequacy, and also how it lead to her becoming this superhero Godmother figure.

So while Fubuki might not be as cool as Mumen Rider or Bang (to say nothing about King), she's interesting in the way her character tells us about the larger setting.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Imagine FF8 (bear with me on this) but instead of a chrome lion phone charm dangling from Squall's gunsword it's that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eej posted:

Ultimecia would be impossible to beat in this version

The GF's true power... To show you...! Caped Baldy! Make them bleed!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's a solid OK.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The S class heroes are out in force.

Even the ones One forgot about.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RIP in peace, Underdog

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mordaedil posted:

Watchdogman drops the mask he has in his mouth.

I was kind of thinking of getting a paper plate and a sharpy and making a Watchdogman mask for my sister's dog as a Halloween costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

For being such a supposed genius, it kind of bothers me that Child Emperor doesn't know the difference between poisonous and venomous.

We can probably blame that on the translator.

Alternatively, Child Emperor was also planning on eating her, if only Pig God hadn't gotten to her first.