Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Cyriss- Taeless

Cyriss looked at the clock sideways- did it just speak, or was that just Wilson playing around again? No matter, the artificer thought, I'll figure it out later. As she came out of her musings she decided that she should probably actually look at the time.

"Aw drat, I'm late." Cyriss said as she threw together her things, quickly brushed her hair, grabbed the clock and scrambled out of the house, stumbling over a few gears and gadgets strewn across the floor.

Cyriss- The Workshop

Cyriss strode through the hallways of the shop. Gears, springs and various other tools and half-made prototypes piled up on shelves as various workers shuffled up and down the aisles, nodding to Cyriss as she passed. Placing the clock down on her bench, Cyriss pulled out the prototype she was working on- a set of braces for legs to give support to those with broken/weakened legs. Of course, it'd probably be easier to see if it worked if she had an actual leg to work on, but, she'd have to work on it for now. Her musing done with, Cyriss picked up her tools and got to work, she had some braces to finish after all.

"I wonder if one of the others would be willing to cripple themselves for progress..." Cyriss mused as she got to work.

Action: Building a supportive brace for crippled legs. Course, it'd be better if she actually had a leg to work with.

[+4]Artificer: Building a mechanical leg brace.

[-2] Insanity: She thinks she probably is going to need a human leg to work on, the musing is distracting her a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Koth

Theft complete, Koth preforms a few more tasks in the camp.

His current employer - or Mr. Civilized as Koth thought of him - sat huddled by the fire, shivering and cursing the Wilds and everything in it. Koth was actually quite impressed with the creativity and duration of the insults, and had taken a lot of mental notes. After so long though, even that was becoming an annoyance.

"You should be careful you don't offend a spirit talking like that, boss. Might be more trouble than it's worth."

Koth begins loping off to the nearby forest where the Pack was resting.

"I'll be hunting with the wolves for a while, wouldn't want them to get too hungry."

After secreting his gains in the small packs he'd fastened to some of the wolves, he and a few of them went off to hunt. Unlike normally, the purpose was not meat, though he wouldn't pass it up, but to play around and explore his new power.

What happens when you put a thing inside a ting and leave it there? Can he, say, unphase the tip of a spear while keeping the shaft phased? Do things immediately "snap back" when he releases them, or can he keep them phased? Can he bring the wolf he's riding along? How long can he keep it up?

These are all important questions that must be answered through careful testing, in a controlled manner, while careening through the forest at breakneck speed while riding a giant wolf.

[+4]Big bad wolf and [+2]Phasing to explore his limits. [-2]Childish to play around in a careless manner.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Aldrain

Aldrain lets out a startled squeak, jumps backwards and drops the bread in surprise. Oh dear. That was unexpected. After waiting a few moments for his heart to stop pounding, Aldrain glares at the bread, laying on the floor, and makes a half-hearted gesture towards it, as if flinging it away. Waiting a few seconds, nothing happens, leaving Aldrain sighing in relief.

Looking down at the still-open book in his hand, he purses his lips. Hmm... I wonder if...

He lifts is free hand, and slowly traces the glyph in the air, envisaging the bread appearing in his hand.

Using [+2] Sigilry and [+4] Scholar to summon the bread.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Rooftop Perch, Taelos

Octagon half-smirked, half-smiled at the small spider. "Alright, you cryptic bastard, have it your way."

It wasn't long before the Merchant Lord was in his room, while Octagon watched from afar, crouched in the darkness and the shadows of the night. The hour was approaching. He would need to do this quickly and quietly. While not an assassin by preference, he was as much a keeper of secrets as he was a purveyor of them. A job is a job.

A job that needed doing.

Espionage [+4] to climb into the Lord's chambers, smother him with a pillow, and climb back out, plus Discretion [+4] to do so quietly. I'll slit his throat, however, if it's the more prudent thing to do.

Feel free to then fast-forward to the next morning, so that I am in the same time frame as everyone elseish.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 20, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

HiKaizer posted:

Stavos Burhonhim:

You're not sure exactly what it was that before that caused the change. You repeat the process several times, with increasing frustration until your return to shouting. None of your latter attempts are met with any more success than making the lead somewhat glassy. It seems something is happening, but your understanding of the process is very limited.

Failure, you cannot manage a full transmutation, although there are some effects.

Stavos Burhonhin

Stavos stared at his test lumps, exasperated, malice filling his features as shame and anger had slowly overwhelmed him. He picks up the slightly glassy lumps of formerly-lead and throws them against the wall. Having a tantrum doesn't transform the lead into another element, but it does make him feel marginally better. Slightly calmer, Stavos finishes entering notes into his journal about the day's occurrences, making sure to commit today's writing to memory as he always did.

Something had happened, there was no denying that. While he hadn't managed to perform the full transformation that he performed without even thinking about it, he had done SOMETHING. This wasn't a total failure, and it wasn't a fluke. Somehow, he had managed to transmute lead, even if only into some bastard alloy that he couldn't identify offhand. It might be an infuriating series of mini-failures, but at least he was able to reproduce them.

He reflected on the words that he used. "Performed without even thinking about it." Hmm. Perhaps the trigger was unconscious? Perhaps he needed to NOT try to transform the element, and it would happen? Doing something by not doing something, now this was a very zen thing to consider. He would have to meditate upon this. He could do it subconsciously throughout the day, a thought which made him smirk at the irony.

Regardless, it seemed that there was nothing to be done immediately, at least not experimentally. He would have to research this further. Magic was poorly understood and infrequently used, and filled with obnoxious levels of ritual and poorly understood performances, but it was a discipline nonetheless, and it was one worth considering. Had he performed Magic? Was there, in fact, a Ritual that he had to perform to transmute materials?

"To transmute lead into steel, one must first fail to transmute lead into gold. Then they must go out drinking, mostly with people that they can barely stand, for the purposes of funding and business connections. Later, one must spend time drinking further with true friends, and stumble home. The most important component of the ritual is to understand none of this, and shout at inert objects."

Well, something happened, and there was a reason. There was always a reason. The problem he faced was that he had too many reasons, and not enough knowledge of what reasons had nothing to do with the result. Not all research needed to be experimental, and it was time to do some investigating. Stavos tucked away his journal into his breast pocket and traveled to the Royal University. There, he would speak to the colleagues that he could trust (and stand) about his experience, and see whether he could find a better direction from which to approach this. Sometimes, it was best to describe your problem to a friend; the mere act of speaking of it would lay bare the solution.

Traveling to the Royal University to try to do some research into the magical components of transmutation. Perhaps there was something trivial that he overlooked. Using +4 Alchemy to focus on transmutation, but also +2 Natural Philosopher to consider branches of the sciences that might be completely orthogonal to his investigation that could lay this bare.

Additionally, this might be a good time to speak to his colleague Aldrain Z'Haer about this experience. Surely the librarian would have a thought about tomes to investigate.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Julianus - A village on the road to Harvan

It was still early in the day when Julianus came upon a fairly large village. The sight of a cozy looking inn at its center gave him a pang of nostalgia and he decided to stop by for a warm meal. Once inside he was greeted warmly by a stout man with a round face and a busy manner.

"Good day, friend. What can I do for you?"

"I'll take a bowl of what's in the pot and a mug of ale", Julianus replied with a grin. It was funny how no matter where you go, an innkeep always looks like an innkeep.

He sat down by the fire and the inkeep soon brought him his food. Before he left again, Julianus asked:

"Say, how much farther is it until the duchy of Harvan?"

"You're already there, actually.", the inkeep replied. Seeing Julianus' surprised expression, he continued: "The border runs just a few leagues from here. It's still a fair stretch until you get to the city proper, though."

Julianus thanked him and began to eat, thinking. Perhaps he should have at least taken a look at a map before setting off like this. Well, at least he was making good time. Perhaps he should take a room here and call it for the day, give himself and his horse a well-deserved rest? He thought he had noticed it limping a little, perhaps he should have it reshoed? That would take a few days, but you can never be too sure. He had no idea if there was a blacksmith in this village, so he might have to walk to the next town that had one. That might be nice though, he never had been this far north and might enjoy a few walks through these parts.
He sighed. He was stalling and he knew it. His horse was fine and the countryside wasn't any different than back home. The fact that he was already so close to his destination had rattled him. What if he got there and found nothing? What if all this turns out to be just a useless fantasy? On the other hand, he had followed his gut in getting all the way here, so why not follow it now when it told him to wait?

He finished his meal at the same time as he made a decision. One day, he told himself, one day I'll wait here. If fate has anything in store for me in this place that has to be enough, otherwise it can drat well find me in the city. Besides, he could be useful here. Places like this usually don't even have a proper deputy and can only try to take care of things by themselves. Even though he had no authority here, often the only thing people need is an outsider with just the right kind of expertise.

He went to sit over at the bar with the innkeep. "That was a drat fine stew.", he said, counting some money on the bar, "I think I'll have some more of that, and a room for the night as well." The innkeeper obliged with a smile, obviously happy to have the custom.
"Now," Julianus continued as he started on his second serving, "has there been anything interesting going on around here recently?"

Julianus will spend a day here, looking for trouble things that he could help out with. Depending on what might come up, Unvawering Vigilance +2 might come in handy for actually noticing it. If there's nothing of interest, he'll continue on to Harvan on the next morning without any further stops.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 20, 2012

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm

A heated argument went on between the mother and child while Wilhelm treated the stings, all three of their voices growing louder to overpower the conversation, "And then you dab a bit of vinegar on before removing the-"

"Mommm, I didn't do-"

"I did -not- raise a vandal!"

"But if you don't do it properly then it will just burn more-"

"I didn't do anything at all! Really, I-"

"Don't you lie to me, I'll have you know-"

"Then you just wrap it for one hour-"

"I'm not lying! I swear that I'm-"

"Oooh, you just wait until your father gets back from Harvan-"

"You both nag more than my estranged wife!" Wilhelm shouted as his lessons were ignored. It wasn't hard to nag more than his estranged wife, on the account that she was long dead, but his point was clear. He stands up from the small stool, and make his way out of the door while the two stand in silence for a moment longer As he departs the argument carries on.

The old man hates the market, but he hates most things now-a-days. Being there is a good enough excuse to go shopping, so he began moving about from stall to stall. He eventually settles upon a wigmaker's stall, the owner of which is occupied with another client, and he rubs at the long-progressed bald spot sitting at the top of his skull. He sighs, knowing that he will never have the same head of hair as he did in his youth.

Subconsciously requesting that the bees make a glorious hairpiece upon my balding head using my +2 divine power. Also +4 Master Beekeeper to represent a general density of bees. Sometimes a divine being must be careful about what he wishes for.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 22, 2012

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Civar's mind wandered uncontrollably during his cold bath. He devised method after method for heating water cheaply and automatically, but all involved large quantities of iron or more esoteric materials. There was no way a poor tinker like him could afford to make something so expensive! As he dressed he dismissed his idle daydreams. Where had this urge to settle and build come from? He was an idle wanderer, as his parents before him and he'd never unlock the key to their murder by settling down. Too much wine the night before, that's all it was.

He is shocked by the ordely and tidy crowd he finds in the taproom. He hadn't expected this to happen when he'd cleaned the place up. These people clearly don't have any use for the hangover remedies he usually peddles after a night of carousing. drat. Was he really responsible for this? He shook his head ruefully, he'd have to be more careful when cleaning in the future. And find a new inn where his performances would be less out of place. He congratulated the inn keeper on his good fortune then sailed gaily out of the inn before any mention of payment could come up. A small smile danced across his lips as he thought about the ordely inn, despite the lost income and inconvenience.

He tosses what's almost his last coin to the stable boy to bring his horse out as he checks over his cart. Civar knew all too well what it is like to be small and poor.

Civar finished hanging his wrought iron sign above his small table on the festival grounds. It read: Civar's Curiousities. Shoeing horses was all well and good, but if he was lucky he could make enough to pay for a month's supplies by selling good luck charms today. The sage Allepo also had a reputation for taking in the traditional market/fair held the day after the end of the year and enjoying puzzles. The people he'd talked to said that Allepo usually started at the far side of the fair so he should still have a few hours before he needed to set out his best puzzles.

As he sold his first charm of the day he felt a wave of black energy flow out of him and into the charm, infusing it with an aura of orderliness.

Tinker +4, Order +2 to sell good luck charms that really work, each and every one stamped with Civar's name. Well... they don't bring good luck so much as a sense of order and stability that will guide the sort of chaos typically associated with misfortune away from the bearer

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 21, 2012

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eerdeth Romul - Still in the Inn

Okay, he is biting. This is good. This is really good. Now I just need to think of a score.

I open the door to reveal a man and a dog. The man is gargantuan and carrying a long sword in his hand. He is clearly not someone I could take in a fight. The dog, obviously meant to be menacing, shies away at the sight of me and goes running down the street off into the darkness.

The man says, "Oh poo poo. Wait here. I'll be back. You leave and I'll kill you," and runs down the street after his dog.

I stand there for a moment and consider his threat. How many people are dumb enough to actually stay?

I exit through the door and take the opposing direction from the one the man took. As I leave, I decide to make for Eisos after I decide that it would probably be in my best interest to put together some sort of team of bandits and rob the city blind.

With this new goal in mind, I make for the town gates, passing by the horse that shied away from me the day before. As luck would have it the horse is already saddled up and everything, practically begging for someone to liberate it. I grab for the saddle, only to have the beast neigh rather loudly at my touch. This causes the Chief to come running from his home, fully clothed. Obviously, I've walked into a trap of some sort, but at the moment there isn't much for me to do besides jump on the horse, put spur to hide, and head out the gates as quickly as possible.

An hour later down the road to Eisos

The villagers are still chasing me. Much can be said about the resiliency of the people of The Frozen Wilds. None of it in my favor at the moment. I keep straight, because eventually their horses will tire out and they'll stop to rest them while I have no qualms with running this beast dead.

-2 Seeds Sewn - It's pretty great that the dog ran away, but dammit did I have to walk into a trap that obvious?

JonasSalk fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 21, 2012

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Yizgur

High up on a ridge overlooking a small village of wooden huts and thatch roofing, Yizgur had waited patiently for the offerings he was due. For a month, he had set up camp and plied his craft, healing fevers and mending broken bones, divining where good hunting was to be found and warding away evil spirits with song and dance.

Like all Northmen, the villagers had been skeptical of his arrival till a desperate father begged Yizgur to save his still-born infant. Locking his lips to cold flesh, the Shaman had breathed life in the infant with songs and prayers till the hut echoed with the gasping screams of the infant boy and his family's murmurs of awe.

"Do not name this child till his third summer." he had said as he rattled his spear of effigies about the house, "Old Father Winter has laid claim to him and he will be sick and weakly until his body, the house of his spirit, grows strong enough to break the curse. He may yet die and if you name him, he will return a wight."

The villagers' respect grew tenfold that day and soon the requests and offerings came daily. Now, as he stamped about his dying fire to warm cold feet, his wrath rose as the morning stretched on. Services rendered had not been paid for. Had he not guided them to the caribou herds five days past? Had he not slipped out of his his skin and donned the feathers of an eagle to find those raiders? Ingrates! cheats! oathbreakers! Two days and only a measely squirrel to eat!

The thought of food made his mouth water. Haunches of caribou, walrus blubber, bricks of maple sugar, a girl's tongue roasted with chestnuts. Growling, he lowered his great antlered mask over his face and clutched his spear in the other. Soon, he had made his way down from the ridge, stomping through knee-deep snow and making his way towards this speck of a village.

He would claim his due one way or another....

---
Aaaand we're off...

quote:

Mortal Qualities

+4 Strong: Devouring the flesh of men has given him great strength. Only time will tell where his transformation will lead him.

+4 Shaman: This is a Bad dude who does shamanistic and priesty stuff while being Bad.

+2 Trickster: As the years passed, Yizgur's humanity has diminished. One must always stay a step ahead when dealing with spirits and hunting men.

-----
Foible

-2 Wendigo: His hunger for flesh is insatiable. The more he indulges, the less of a man he becomes.

-----
Divine Quality

+2 The Old Ways: Spirits and demons consort with Yizgur. A keeper of forgotten lore, he knows more than a man should.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 21, 2012

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir

Mazir laughed a deeply as the two surviving thieves gasped in horror at their deceased companion, his flesh still sizzling from the new hole made in his chest by Mazir's arcane bolt. What they did not see, but Mazir did, was the strange miasma hovering above the corpse, still coalescing into the form of a very confused thief, who had only moment before still been alive.

"Wha....What has happened?!? Why and I there?!? I am here, but not there?!?" the soul cried out in confusion as his ethereal hands began to form, covering his face as he began to weep. "Am I.....Am I dead"

"Yes soul you are" Mazir responded back, the soul of the thief looking up at him in confusion, his two living companions looking only at Mazir in confusion as well. They cannot see you, but I can you thief, you dirty cowering thief! He said chastised raising his voice slightly "Had you been halfway competent, you would have know me a magic user and avoided my, or at least prepared more accordingly, but no, you were a fool, and a weakling."

"It wasn't my fault!" The soul screamed. "Hamir was in charge of gathering the information about our mark" the thief soul said pointing to the bound thief to his left.

"Ah to that one was the fool to pick this place then" Mazir said pointing to the thief the soul indicated. The mans eyes bulged and he frantically whispered to his living companion. "Still he was less of a fool for trying not to attack me, unlike you. You have disturbed me, and given me no challenge. Had you proven even halfway competent, I might have let you wander as souls do, but this insult cannot go unpunished. You will be my nourishment for expending energy tonight."

Raising his hands, Mazir began to gather a strange purple energy that acted as a vortex, drawing the unfortunate soul towards his body. The soul struggled, but was still weak, and was slowly drawn towards Mazir. Eventually, Mazir opened his mouth and reveled a third purple swirl of magic. Slowly, the screaming soul was dragged into his mouth and slowly pulled apart, until nothingness remained. Smacking his lips, Mazir thought aloud "Humm, a bit bland, but not rotten tasting like those slavers from last night. Curious."

Looking at the two living thieves, Mazir wondered aloud "Now what am I to do with these two?"

[i]I'm eating the soul of the dead thief to replenish the small amount of energy I used to subdue him and his companions (a bit overkill I know, but Mazir is a bit over-dramatic). +2 Divine action (to eat the soul) and +4 Magic to make the process brighter and flashier to scare the crap out of the two living thieves.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Daveron

Daveron grumbles, not enough info to go on. Perhaps his cousin had in fact just gone out on a stroll...but his gut wouldn't let him hold the thought. He walks to the stables, and grabs his horse, an aging warhorse named Thickhoof, and groaned as he climbed onto it.

"Let's go boy," he mutters to the horse, the horse starting out. Stopping by some of the city watch, he nods to them, "Ilvis is missing...and it would be in your best interest to look out for her return."

Daveron then heads out into the surrounding lands in an attempt to travel areas he knew she frequented.

Using +2 Noble Blooded to let the guards know who's in charge here, and have them basically be more alert for news of Ilvis. Meanwhile, just randomly going out into the wilderness to run into another encounter/Ilvis/a dire wolf/etc.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Making a Post:

You can help me make posts quickly by making the information I need easy to read and access, because sometimes I have opened 3 copies of the game thread and one of the recruitment thread as well as the editing window.

Here are the things I need and how, if everyone lays them out the same, posting will be a bit quicker and easier for me!
pre:
Name: (Current Location)

Narrative details

Summary of mechanical action;

D: (Divine Trait name)+2
M: Mortal Traits +?
If everyone can do this for me it will help a lot! I do read all of your narrative details, but if I can quickly see the information I've said it'll make my posting more efficient which is important with this many players!

Alexios (Taeless)

The councillor stood up angrily and looked Alexios, well not quite in the eye. But fairly close to it.

"You are welcome to the contract, as long as you actually obey it. I won't have any more talk about invading and spilling the blood of our nation in pointless wars! If you want to do that go to Arandia, those savages love to kill civilians and destroy towns."

The councillor sat back down, sweating a little bit and looked at you defiantly. There are a few sounds of people quickly moving away from the door, as if there had been people listening on the conversation with keen interest.

Partial Success, you convinced him that you are skilled enough to. Other people may be interested however...

Andra: (Arandia, Coltain)

It starts off as a single voice, just one merchant convinced to finally stand up for himself. But one voice was joined by others, who had suffered and wished to feel like they could defend themselves. It was easy once you had the merchants on board, because suddenly gold was flowing and the lure of gold speaks as strongly as the eloquent word. You find yourself surrounded by a multitude of people willing to strike out against this witch and consider that this is more like a militia than an adventuring group.

Success, you find yourself mistress of a ragtag militia.

Civar: (Arandia, Coltain)

What began as a quiet day suddenly becomes eventful as a veritable storm of activity sweeps through the town. You manage to find out from people a lady, named Andra, is organising a group to go hunt down a witch who has been making life difficult for travelling merchants lately. You find your trinkets being bought out very quickly, and other people in the grounds around you that sell weapons and armours find themselves also benefiting from this storm of business.

Success, however your charms are only strong enough to ward off simple misfortunes such as spilling milk or tripping over things. They won't help those going into battle yet.

Vanthos: (Basement in Eisos)

No you ignorant cretin, you entire technique is wrong. You are making up things and trying to bind me with imaginary creatures. This is pathetic. Get your act together for next time, or something with a mouth will eat you.

The eyeball disappears in a flash of light leaving only a strange scent in the room which makes you light headed.

Failure, you lose control of the summoning and the creature leaves.

Kovar: (Rural Taeless, north-west region)

As you head into the town you hear the guards talking about how the sky burned again last night. The first one claims its just a fire mountain, but the second one says there is no fire mountain in the region that has been active since the Second Age. The first one responds that there was also that terrible wailing in the night, from somewhere far off. Everyone in the village did look tired, but you don't remember hearing any wailing. At this point though if you ride off further you won't hear any more though.

You have a bone, do something with it or make up your own!

Ilvis: (Roadside in northernmost Arandia)

The man remains fairly silent and reticent once you make him dig a burial for his comrades. When pressed he gives some vague directions and you get a feeling he's probably telling a lie. You do however learn that there are probably somewhere between 5-8 other bandits and that the leader is a really big pig of a man who works them all hard. He does look kind of scrawny.

You don't need to roll to dig holes and bury people, seriously. Your trait didn't seem applicable to discussion unless you started beating him so you ended up with a failure, which is why you haven't really gotten anything useful.

Geldolph: (Alleyway in Val Setin)

You didn't even touch him before something surges through you hand. It's like another force, as if you had a hand beyond your hand. Your 'other' hand reaches in and moves the bone and flesh around until it matches the other leg. The man yelps in pain as his fracture corrects itself and gives you one panicked stare before fleeing. His companion is confused by the whole affair and after debating whether to do something or not, chases after his fellow thug.

Success, you correct the fracture that you caused. The man's leg is fully functional and normal again.

Degowin: (Godsheap, wilds of the Frozen Wilds)

Degowin caught several glimpses of the creature as he tracked after the footprints. It was large, about three times the size of an average man and it had a great shaggy mane that was hard to tell from its head. It slung the great beast you had hunted over its back like a man might put a rabbit across his shoulder.

As you approached the mountains you wait, noticing it go into a cave. The creature whatever it is seems little to care about the surroundings, so Degowin is able to track it right up to its cave. As you wait for a moment, you hear a strange kind of low rumbling. After the initial confusion you realise it seems to be humming some kind of tune...a common lullaby of a village from the north.

Success, you can sneak into the cave to get a closer look safely if you wish.

Lillian: (Rooftops somewhere in Taeless)

Leading into the wind and letting you clothes catch the breeze help you jump up onto your roof and then onto another. As you reach the third roof you realise you're influencing the flow and strength of the wind as well. Your euphoria at this discovery is cut off by the shout of a housewife, telling you to get off of her roof before you damage it.

Success, you would be able to do more with the right clothing.

Edo Waters: (A bay off of Blackwater village near Mudhal (sorry, slight map alteration))

You try and wait for a time where you uncle is engrossed in something, so that you can touch him and heal him without noticing. When he snags a particularly strong fish you reach over to help him, touching him on the leg as you do so. You manage to heal him and you and your uncle successfully catch the fish. However you realise something is wrong when he doesn't get ready to try again, instead looking at you seriously with difficult to read expression on his face.

"Edo Waters, I have known you since you were an infant and I know you have not learned magic. What did you just do?"

Partial Success, you heal him successfully but he notices it.

Fylas: (Laboratory in Eisos)

You find during the day that your assistant, the only person in the world that knew of your secrets has died. Her eyes however have gone a strange milky white and his skin is slightly waxy. She has only been dead at most a full day and you had gone to check on her after she did not come in to bring you some odds and ends you had her go and purchase.

The next morning when you return to the lab the rat is looking incredibly bored and there are tree notes in the book.

You actually tied me down you arsehole?
It seems the dead can't sleep.
Fylas I am incredibly bored. I hope that delivery I bought you rots.

Additionally your notes all have two main things in common. You need a soul and you need a vessel. A soul can be put into a vessel to give it the semblance of life. All Necromancers who had successfully done this noted capturing a soul was difficult, requiring complex magic to be cast right as a person died and that they found that human-like forms were easiest to put them into. Additionally they noted that souls decayed over time. The rest of the details vary wildly and are probably guesswork and superstition more than actual magic or deduction.

Success. Additionally I had to try and work with what I remembered of your backstory before you edited your post.

Adam: (Mining town in North West Taeless)

The people seem to stop listening to you after a bit and you have to keep fending the children off of your beard. It's infuriating, the humans (wait you're human as well, why did you think that?) keep on just looming over you and ignoring you. It makes you so frustrated and you find any attempt to leave the crowd will probably involve shoving people.

Failure, the crowd is too excited by the strange occurrence to really listen to you, and the children are having too much fun. It is a thoroughly un-Dwarflike situation.

Cyriss: (Workshop in Taelos)

You consider the complexity of the human leg. It has two major pivot points if you do not consider the foot. Making a brace for the leg itself would be much easier than trying to handle balancing. With this in mind you work away the day, fashioned mostly from bronze but with some iron bars to reinforce it. There are some gears to help the pivot of the knee, but actually doing anything with the waist become difficult.

You do manage to make the brace satisfactorily though. It's awkward to wear yourself when you test it, but it would likely be very helpful to someone with a weak or injured leg.

"What is the sky like? I want to see the sky."

Success, you manage to make the leg brace. It can be adjusted to fit different legs within reason. But as an aid it's a little inconvenient for a normal human.

Koth: (A forest in the Frozen Wilds)

You spend some time just playing around in the forest. It's great to finally get away from that nagging merchant and he got what was coming to him no doubt. You ride the wolf and lean over and stick your hand through trees and low-lying limbs as you ride by. Eventually you try to get your wolf to ride through a tree as you phase through it. This works in that your wolf tries to avoid running into a tree and tumbles through it as you phase. The creature seems thoroughly disturbed by the experience and runs off leaving you alone. As you stand up and collect yourself you see the Godsheap in the distance and notice something large and hairy climbing up it to a cave.

Success, you run around and have fun with phasing. You also learn animals don'[t like it.

Stavos: (In front of Aldrain's home)

You find that the university is mostly closed due to the festival, but there are enough staff on campus to let you know that Aldrain is resting at his home. By late morning you find yourself in front of his house and knock, waiting for an answer.

Aldrain: (His room in Eisos)

You scribe the words in the air and although the incandescent letters only last for a brief moment, the bread leaps up and into your hand as if moved again by an invisible hand. The bread itself tingles for a moment before settling down.

Success.

At that point there is a knock on your front door.

Octagon: (A room in Taelos)

You were doing pretty well until a voice in a corner says in a different, but still similar dry and quiet voice, "Well that's a different tact."

The momentary lapse in concentration allows the man to move enough get his mouth free. "GUARDS!" He yells. Suddenly you need to leave, grateful you wore a mask to cover your identity.

Failure, you'll need to get out of there quickly. Your employer is going to be unsatisfied.

Julianus: (Village in central Arandia)

"There is a witch causing a great deal of trouble down near Coltain I hear. But she doesn't affect us much here. We haven't had much troubles, although often merchants have troubles with bandits closer to Harvan. Our Duke would never let such miscreants wander freely in our lands. But admittedly the traders having troubles is inconvenient for us some times." The inn keeper replies to you. You don't notice anything unusual about him and he seems to be honest, if arrogant or prideful. But that's a common trait in Arandia.

With that in mind you set out onward to Harvan. The road is quiet and the rest of the morning is peaceful. The village was quieter so it was easier to deal with all of the noises and goings on.

Success, but the man is truthful.

Wilhelm, master of the Toupee Bees: (Miniburg, Northeast Arandia)

There is quiet a stunned silence in the market as after a moment bees from all areas of the market fly in and begin to settle onto the old man's head, until he is endowed with a flowing yellow and black toupee of bees. The other bonus is the pattering of the bees acts as a gentle massage, helping Wilhelm's mood a little.

Success! And how.

Eerdeth Romul: (On the road to Eisos in the Frozen Wilds)

This is not good, they are going on you and quickly. You won't have a lot of choice but to run into the forest soon and there could be wolves or bears in there. You know you won't manage to outrun the mob sadly. Or you'll need to think of something else and quickly.

Failure, you can't outrun them. You need a plan B.

Yizgur: (Near a town in the Frozen Wilds)

The truth was that you had not actually revived the child, not with magic anyway. Had the witless villagers had a proper midwife the situation would have been much simpler, although the current outcome suited your needs...until the villagers were ungrateful. Maybe they knew, maybe they didn't.

Something in you rouses as you walk to the village, as night falls. You begin to wait for a time before the ground begins to shake a little. Slowly, consistently and more importantly rhythmically. As you turn to look a great creature, clad in shaggy fur and with two grout horns protruding straight from its forehead in a manner unnatural for any creature is slowly walking around. Its passing is also trampling the fields of the village, destroying many of the seeds lying waiting for spring to thaw the ground.

Mazir: (His room, Elysia)

Your magic cannot actually bring the soul of the dead man into view of the living, but you can replicate the effect with an illusion. As you draw in the soul of the man to you, you can feel the panic of the soul. Then it comes into contact with you and suddenly a rush of instinct and magic overcomes you. Opening the mouth seemed natural and the soul is sucked into there before being devoured and going...somewhere. You bend over for a moment, an intense pain in your stomach before it disappears just as suddenly and you stand up again. You feel...different somehow. The two men gasp and go even more wide-eyed, if such a thing was possible. You glance at your mirror for a moment and blink in surprise. Your skin has gone pale and your eyes are a softly luminous green.

Success. Additionally you gain a Quirk, Unnerving Visage. It's a narrative detail for your character that could become something more if you cultivate it. Think of it as a +0 Trait for now.

Daveron: (Offroad in Arandia, near the Eosian border)

The guards salute and accept your command, despite you lacking any direct authority over them save being nobility. With that assured you travel down the road, finding some tracks that head into the forest at this point. Dismounting and leading your horse into the woods, you wander around only to eventually stumble across a bandit camp. The guards shout in alarm and one of them hastily picks up a bow and shoots. Dodging the arrow is easy but you think leaving might be wise, fighting multiple bandits and at least one with bows may be an unwise choice. You imagine that it would be bad luck for them, and good luck for you, if their bow string was to snap. Suddenly the man yelps and you hear a twine-like snap as the bow string does in fact snap.

Success, the guards will keep an eye out for Ilvis and send out a patrol along the road.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 25, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Andra (Arandia, Coltain)

As preparations get underway, Andra excuses herself to check her armor and get a moment's privacy... so that she can mutter to herself. "Lovely. I was hoping they'd've hired mercenaries, organized their guards... instead there's just a bunch of untrained yokels who barely know which end of a spear to hold." She pauses, then visibly brightens. "Ah, but what the hell. It'll be fun."

Then she wanders back out and starts making definitive preparations. The first merchant who agreed to back her, a cloth-merchant named Juddson, and unilaterally declares him to be in charge of organizing the militia - finding out who has what battle experience et cetera. Flashing a bright smile, she assures him that this is important work that only a man of his obvious intellect can be trusted with, and before you know it, he feels like he's been done a favor by receiving the assignment.

While this is being done, Andra finds the one thing that large gatherings of armed men are guaranteed to provoke - young children who want to see what all of the excitement is about. "Which of you kids wants to make a bit of money and help out the town, hmm?" In exchange for some copper coins, Andra asks the urchins to run throughout the town, finding anyone who knows more than 'there is a witch and it attacks caravans,' which is hardly enough data on which to base a proper military excursion. Find them, bring them to her, and let her ask questions... and any child who finds someone who actually knows something, or that Andra finds useful, will get not copper but silver.

Using Charming as Hell [+4] to get the militia organized and to gather information on the enemy. Then we can get to work, as it were.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Ilvis (Roadside in northernmost Arandia)

Giving him a shrug before I drive three wooden markers into the freshly turned earth, I motion for the man to stand where I can see him while I carve out some sort of epitaph for these graves.

CHESTNUT- WARHORSE
LARS- BORN POOR DIED BANDIT
GUNNAR- BORN POOR DIED BANDIT

"I suspect you're lying to me. But whether you're being truthful or not, these men are dead anyway and deserve . You realize of course, they're probably going to take one of your hands or severely fine you back at the town. Worst case scenario you're due for a date with the gallows..."

Brushing the soil from my gloves I gather up the horses and climb atop the sturdiest looking one, loosening the reins of the others so that they can follow at a slow trot.

"Now, I'll give you a choice. Lead me to the other bandits and help me capture or slay them and in return I shall speak with the town guards and ask them for clemency on your behalf. Or not, in which case we're bound for town and you for a probable and unpleasant experience in gaol."

Loosening the blade at my side I look down at him expectantly.

"Keep in mind that I will consider any attempt to flee or otherwise escape justice as you breaking the terms of your parole. The penalty for which is death."

Don't think I have anything to throw here. He can lead me to those other bandits and we can bring them to justice, or we're going to town and he can face the mercies of feudal law on his own. I will ride him down non-lethally if he does decide to do a runner, but hopefully digging three graves (and one of them horse-sized at that) has worn him down physically/mentally a bit.

+2 Sacred Sword (divine):Gonna smack him with the flat of the blade if he decides he wants to get clever.
+4 Martial Training (mortal): Ride him down and give him a walloping if it looks like he's leading me into an ambush or is about to run off.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
DeGowin - Godsheap

DeGowin contemplated the creature's lack of concern for its surroundings. Such overconfidence had been the end of many a would-be hunter in these woods. Degowin picked the straightest branch he could find, and was surprised to see a spearhead forming out of ice at its tip. He skulked into the cave, intending on stabbing the creature in the spine if he had the angle, the throat, or as a third choice into the side of its belly.

Gonna ice this guy. I'm to understand that we can only use one mortal ability with a divine roll, so I'm going to using Master Hunter + Cold, but if Master Hunter +Stealthy would work on the approach then so much the better, that would be a total of a +6 mortal-scale roll.

Attacking the Creature using

Master Hunter[+4](Mortal)- Simple knowledge of applying a blade to a part of the anatomy to achieve death of the target.

Cold[+2](Divine) Infusing my makeshift spear with a spearhead of elemental/divine/magic ice.

Cacto
Jan 29, 2009
Edo Waters (Blackwater Bay, near Mudhal)

Edo shrugs in response to his uncle's question. "Not sure, uncle. I woke up this morning and I could see things in people. I could see their sickness, their injuries. And when I touch them, I can change that. It's kind of like carving. When you see the wood, you know what shape it wants to be. With what I see, I think I might be able to make people better. I've been testing it out all day today. It worked on Kansai, but I couldn't do much for Tania, so it's not very strong. But it did work on you."

Edo shrugs. "What do you think I should do about it?" He hesitates. "Do you think someone's cast a spell on me?"

Edo's uncle looks at him solemnly for a moment, before laughing. "Hardly. You know the stories - magic takes blood, a lot of it. I don't think it can be used to heal people, least not in the way you mention."

Dameon sits back on his haunches, his face suddenly pensive. "But I think the family needs to talk about this. It won't be safe for you here in Blackwater if word gets out you can do magic. You know how people feel about it, and you know why. We've got good reasons to distrust it."

Edo suddenly feels tears welling up, but he does his best to crush them. "You're... You're going to make me leave town?"

Dameon shakes his head. "I don't know. I don't want to, but if you're caught... you know what would happen. It wouldn't just be you dead. It would be your mother, your father - maybe even all of us. Mages don't come here for good reason, Edo. It hasn't happened in your lifetime, but the last purge took out a whole family for the daughter's sin. I don't think Blackwater's changed its collective mind. We deserve a choice in this, just as you do."

Edo nods, silently. He hadn't asked for this, but it seemed like his gift would be more of a curse.

(Waters compound, Blackwater)

"...so that's everyone? And you don't refuse, Edo?" Edo shakes his head as his father condemns him to exile. "Good. Then we're decided. Edo, you must leave. But you'll go with our blessing, and with our gifts."

Edo could only watch as, in the kitchen of his family home, his own flesh and blood made the decision to cast him out into the world. It wasn't unanimous; at the start most had argued that he should stay and instead be hidden. Others that perhaps attitudes had changed. But in the end, Edo himself, riddled with guilt, swayed them over with the simple logic of their past. The Waters had survived many horrors over the centuries; to prevent their end now, Edo would best protect them by leaving.

So he was put on the street with a full backpack, a short sword buckled tight to his belt at his waist, and a charm of the Sea Mistress round his neck. And, of course advice on a thousand things, including to be careful of straying beyond his station, for his ancestry was writ in his face and few Eosians would believe any lies that he was of higher caste than a fisherman.

In the end, he decided to head for the capital along the Emperor's Road. Eosis featured strongly in the tales of magic told by his people. And if he was to learn anything about the source of his power and why it had happened, Eosis was the best candidate. Even if he couldn't shake his concerns about the danger of going to the place where so much blood was spilled for magic...

Speeding through the whole leaving home section to get on the road and start meeting others like him. Relevant qualities for any rolls on the way are Charming +2 to make friends and Strong +2 or Sailor +2 to get farming/woodchopping/fishing work along the way to pay for food/lodging.

Cacto fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 25, 2012

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Daveron (Offroad in Arandia, near the Eosian border)

Daveron stumbles into the bushes, trying to keep low; the bow string snapping was mostly coincidence, mostly. He scrambles through the bushes as the bandits start coming for him, and pulls his sword out, tripping over a rock in the process and losing his weapon.

A bandit comes towards him, weapon swinging through the air, and Daveron gives a hefty heave with his foot into the bandit's chest, knocking him to the ground; the bandit's weapon falls down beside Daveron.

The bandit looks up at Daveron, his hands in the air, "No! I'm unarmed! I surrender!" Daveron looks down, and says "Bad luck for you then," and grins, and swings down with his new weapon.

Attacking the bandits because...Daveron's drunk. Defending with the same bonuses if possible.

+2 Bad Luck - The bandits will hopefully fall on their weapons, trip and roll into completely open and defenseless positions, armor straps will fall off, that kind of thing.

+4 Dirty Fighter - Daveron's just the kind of guy who would go for such openings, and isn't afraid to hit a man when he's down (in fact he'd prefer it that way, much quicker).

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Vanthos: Basement in Eisos

Vanthos sighs, and goes back to the books his father left him to see if he can find out how to properly summon and control creatures from beyond. Lighting a candle, he sits down at the desk in his basement and begins to read, taking careful note of the procedures, so that he'll do better next time (and not be eaten).

Researching how to summon and control supernatural creatures. Scholarship +4

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam (Mining town Sellos in North West Taeless)

He found himself surrounded at all sides, looking up at the many faces now staring down at him, all the while struggling to hold Alice away from his beard. Words were no longer working. He could hear them coming from his mouth - although sometimes he suspects his accent changes - but they weren't listening.

Well... drat it all!

He took a breath, then, with as much as a mighty roar asa he could muster, hunkered down and charged through as many of the adults as he could.

(Action: Welp... gotta shove!

Henched (+4): For the love of all things well and good people, get out of my way! I HAVE WORK TO DO!
Dwarf (Divine +2): Surprisingly, being small and stubby can do wonders for moving between legs
Don't want no trouble -2: First they'll want to look, then they'd want to talk, and the next thing you know they want to parade you all across Taeless. No thank you!)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar (Arandia, Coltain)

Packing up his tools, Civar reflected on the day. He'd done a brisk trade and completely sold out all his charms. He'd be able to afford provisions for many months to come. That is, he would be if he hadn't spent most of it paying the Sage Aleppo for a pair of scrolls of old myths and an hour of his time. Most likely the references to purple lights in the skies in the scrolls were nothing. Aleppo had seemed to think so anyways. However, this "witch" might know something. He had to hold onto hope.

The next step would be to talk to Andra, see about joining her expedition. He had no desire to meet anything that cut people's tongues out on his own, witch or not. Perhaps he could convince Andra to let him keep the witch's notes in exchange for advice or cures for her men. His shop packed up, he trundled through town, following the directions provided by one of the mercenaries who'd bought a trinket from him.

"Hello Andra, I'd like to help you catch this witch. My mother was a wise-woman, and would want me to do everything I could to stop someone misusing her arts so. I can warn you about what to expect. Mitigate any magical assaults. I might even be able to locate the camp for you. If we're lucky."

no roll - meet up with Andra/DivineCoffeeBinge

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir: His Room, Elysia

Mazir felt a strange tingle over his skin, it felt like a small ripple. A soft glow seemed to be emanating throughout the room. Looking over at his mirror, Mazir saw that his skin was quite pale and his eyes now were only a soft luminescent green, who's glow seemed to echo across the room.

"Well that was a bit unexpected" he thought as he stared at the mirror for another moment or two. I like it, it seemed to radiant power.

Looking at the two thieves still alive, he formed an idea in his head, he figured he could kill two sand worms with one spear.

"Now for these two" He said motioning to the two frightened bound men "Tell me worms, give me one good reason I should keep you alive, rather than butcher you like the cattle you are and make you souls my mid-night snack" He said, sending a surge of magic through his body, hoping to amplify the glow in his eyes to make them all the more frightening.

Trying to make the thieves give me a good reason to keep them alive (loyalty, treasure loot, admiration, etc). To do this, I'm using my natural charisma and amplifying my new terrifying look with magic.

M: Magic +4. Using my magic to amplify my new terrifying look, mostly I'm trying to make my eyes glow even brighter, but even looking a bit more scary or pale works too.

Charisma +2 Using my natural presence to try and gain something from these thieves by intimidating them.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Kovar - Rural Taeless, North-West Region

quote:

***Kovar turns back at the guards tale. He approaches respectfully, knowing he looks like little more than a vagrant by now. However, even in rags his natural presence shines bright. (Powerful Charisma[+4]) "Pardon my intrusion fine sirs, but I could not help but overhear your story. Would you do a humble man like me the favor of telling me more about these strange happenings?"

First Guard: "Who are you?" The first one asks belligerently, but the second one cuts him off being the more personable of the two.

Second Guard: "I don't know what to say beggar" Apparently your rags make you seem like one of the poor. "Many nights for some moons now there is a far of light in the sky, like it was on fire as the moon rises."

***Kovar looks to the more belligerent, "I am Kovar. A wanderer, but one with some skill with blade and spear".

First Guard: "If you had that skill you'd use it to get some coins, friend." He says with a nasty laugh, clearly believing you to be boastful and untruthful. His comment is not unreasonable in Taeless however, the sword is a reliable way to earn coin, if dangerous.

***Kovar smiles, "Well, I did come this way in search of work, but we come far afield. Tell me more about this strange phenomenon. I will admit that I saw no such thing on the way into town."

Second Guard: "Aleph's Ashes I don't know how you could not man. The sky lights up like fire across the entire horizon, and the wailing is beyond belief."

GM: You don't remember either of these last night or the night before. Maybe the wailing only occurs sometimes and the phenomena is more local than they say? Scared and superstitious men are prone to exaggeration after all.

Kovar: "I swear to you sir, that I recall no such event. When did all this start?"

Second Guard: "It was the moon after the harvest festival, it started then." The second one said after some thought.

First Guard: "The moon ate the sun during the day, remember? That night it started. I knew it was a bad omen." The first says darkly.

***Kovar looks pensive for a moment, and then comes to a decision. "If I were to discover the source of these strange occurrences. What would be the reward?"

First Guard: "You? Beggar. You might as well fly up to the moon and ask why it eats the sun sometimes, you'd have better luck there." The first one sneers.

Second Guard: The second one looks dubious, but is more polite at least. "It's hard to say. If you found it, a few coin would be given I'd expect. If you were to manage to do something...well that would be different."

Second Guard: "Elder isn't always free with money though, but I'd imagine the folks around would be endebted to anyone who stopped this awful curse."

***Kovar straightens himself out, rising to his full stature. "You wish a demonstration then?" He flicks up his walking stick. "How about a friendly sparring match?"

First Guard: "I've got better things to do than knock down a beggar." The first guard says with a belligerent sneer, avoiding trouble in the typical manner of a bully.

Kovar: "Don't have the blood in your for a wager then?" Kovar's tone is ever so carefully mocking, enough to poke at the guard without provoking his companion.

First Guard: "Not this early in the morning. Not without a lot more ale before I make a wager with a beggar." The first guard says with a laugh. This one is less mocking, as if what you've said is genuinely amusing for some reason. The second guard smiles a little as well.

Kovar: "Not even with this at stake," Kovar pulls out a fine dagger, the hilt is inlaid with gold, and the scabbard has 3 shining jewels on the outer side. It was once the symbol of his office as high-general, but now it was the only connection remaining to his life on Mirn. It was no mean prize, easily worth their year's salary combined.

First Guard: "Heh some you're a thief as well as a beggar. Well, I'll be happy to confiscate that off of you after I've 'punished' you in the name of the law."

Kovar: He turns towards the second guard, "And will you seek a stake in this. I wonder if either one of you alone has the means to match such a splendid wager, and there's no fun in a one-sided bet. Together however, you might have enough to potentially win yourselves this prize."

Second Guard: "Well you wouldn't be too far off on Algard's earnings." The second man says with a snort, earning a glare from the first one. "But sure, I'm not too proud to turn down a chance for easy living." He says, apparently a pragmatist.

The former-general lifted up his walking stick, holding it like one might hold a blade, as Algard pulled out his cudgel and the other guard watched on. Just as the card-game had unfolded once before, not the fight came to life before him. Before the brawl even began, Kovar had seen the move the man would make, and the perfect counter-stroke which could win the bet in a single quick exchange. However, as the chain of action and reaction unfolded he saw another route. He saw the road towards not only indebting the guards, but impressing them as well. Each stroke the perfect counter, each step proof of his skill. Then the guard began to move and the dance began in earnest.

Sparring for cash and prizes, setting up a potential recruitment of the guards, and teaching these potential recruits their first lesson, to not underestimate an opponent based on appearance.

m: Weapon-master[+2] to wield his walking stick like a sword.
d: Divine Strategy[+2] to read the poor guard like a book.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm - Minburg, Northeast Arandia

"Hmmn... Hmm.. Oooh, yes..." It felt good enough. Natural enough. There was nothing quite odd about about having a a thick covering of bees-

What was he thinking? There was nothing at all normal about this, and it was his top priority to not be stung by a swarm of bees on his scalp. So the best thing to do when surrounded by bees is to act natural. They're just about on his business on top of his scalp, and they plainly told him that they were there to keep him warm and beautiful. Maybe he has developed dementia since last night? No sudden movements. Act like they aren't even there.

"Hello, Wigmaker. I am considering buying one of your wigs," Wilhelm says between clenched teeth. He's sweating bullets, and he can still feel the buzz and hum of the bees covering his scalp.

"Let me just open my coin purse, and get the five coins you want for this," His hands remain clenched at his side, afraid to move, though the bees perform the task for him. A chunk of his toupee melts away and moves down his side to open up his purse and begins trekking the coins to his palm.

He sets them down on the counter, acting like nothing odd has happened. Because nothing odd has happened. This is perfectly natural. At least that's what the bees- His mind has told him. They're here to serve him after all. Naturally. It is his kingdom, and the bees his servants.

Or something. Maybe he is going a bit insane. Wilhelm finally makes his move to pick up the wig and set it in his basket, "Thank you, Wigkeeper. I-"

He turns, looking to the stunned and silent crowd surrounding him in the Minburg market. There were no calls for the greatest deals, the best grains, the newest bauble or trinket. There was only the buzz of bees about his head. Don't get stung. Act naturally, Wilhelm.

"What!? You've never seen a man covered in bees before!?" He blurts out, before storming back off to his home. The bees disperse back to their hives, slowly melting away from his scalp as he opens up distance with the market. As he stomps off he hears only low whispers about the oddity, and as he goes further away the natural sounds of the market begin once again.

As he hits his front door he pulls off his travelling boots and shouts to the air at the apparent prank from nature, "If you're so smart, little ones, why don't you tell -me- about these farmlands!?"

Using Divine +2 and Agricultural Genius +4 to get the lowdown on the local area's farms from my bees. Are they smart enough to communicate, or will they tell Wilhelm what he needs to know with just an instinctual level of communication?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Andra (Arandia, Coltain)

"I'm glad to hear it," Andra tells Civar as he makes his introductions, offering a hand for the shaking. "Be even gladder if you tell me you know more about the situation than 'there's a witch,' which is all anyone's told me thus far, but I'll take all the help I can get. Fair warning - you don't look the combatant type, so I'll do my best to keep you out of any actual fighting, should it come up, but I can't make any promises. If you're still interested, I intend to see us underway in roughly an hour's time."

Hooray for teamwork!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Cyriss: Hai-kan, inside the workshop

Cyriss murmured, "It's nice and blue. You know what blue is right? Actually, here, I'll show you." Picking up the clock and slinging the leg brace over her shoulder, Cyriss told Sarah that she'd be out for a while as she walked out the door.

Cyriss: Hai-kan, outside of the workshop

"See, that's the sky there." Cyriss directed at Clockwork, pointing him-it?- face up at the sky as she continued down the street, "it's kinda pretty, but most people don't pay attention to it normally. Yes, Wilson, I know you like looking at the sky all the time, I was making a generalization. Miranda, be quiet, yes, we're going to find someone to test this brace on. No, I'm not going to break someone's leg when I can find a hospice that will do just as well, it takes too much work. Now take Wilson and find something to do, I want to talk to Clockwork alone."

As the voices dropped back down to a murmur- was Miranda sulking back there?- Cyriss looked back down at the clock, "Now, where were we... ah yes, the sky. Well, it is really pretty, though it's not always visible. Things like storms and clouds can block the sky, people usually feel more miserable on those days."

Spotting her destination, Cyriss ducked through the crowds to the hospice. Entering, she looked around for anybody that might have a wounded leg, the metal brace clanging against her back.

Just headed to the hospice

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Running Away, Taelos

Octagon groaned, internally. You have got to be loving kidding me.

With no time to ponder his terrible luck, Octagon sprang from the bed and made a dash for the window, exiting as quickly and smoothly as possible. His client was going to be displeased. But that's a problem for later.

Espionage +4 to exit the building the way I came in, or make a flying leap onto the adjacent roof, and Discretion +4 to avoid any guards or nosy fucks who come looking for the would-be assassin.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Civar (Arandia, Coltain)

"Excellent! I'll do my best not to get in the way of you and your men. At the worst, I guarantee you'll eat a drat sight better than you're used to on the trail."

From his pocket, Civar takes a fist size lump of quartz crystal hanging on a simple thread. "Now, if you'll just look into this crystal while concentrating on the witch you want to find, I can try to provide you with directions to your quarry. My mother taught me this technique for helping people find where they should go, and not for something as specific as this, but we'll see if it works." Civar holds the crystal by it's thread and sets it to swaying between them. As he stares at it his mind sinks down into the orderly intersections of the crystal matrix. From one crystal intersection to the next his awareness sinks even deeper into the crystal even as that new part of him, awakened only last night, reaches out to the witch they are hunting. He struggles to bring the two disparate concepts into alignment while murmuring the nonsense syllables his mother had used to separate marks from their money.

Scry out the location of our target
Order +2 (Divine)
Stage Magician +2
Poor +2 - too poor to afford a crystal ball he uses a lump of quartz instead

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Alexios - Taelos

"Very well." He shrugs, standing, his arms behind his back. "I will accept the contract under current... restrictions. And I will give you victory, hollow though it will be be." With that, he turned, pushing the door open, and beckoning for Pavo to follow.

"That went well," he said, a faint smile on his lips.

"He did not go for your plan, sir."

"Surely you heard the sounds at the door? I am quite confident that there is someone in this blasted city who *will*. All we need is some support, Pavo. This continent is ripe for the plucking. So let's go have a drink, and celebrate."

Heading over to the nearest tavern, where I will just sort of wait, people watch, possibly shmooze with some councilors. I'm hoping that whoever it was that was eavesdropping on us will make contact with me.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Fylas the Doctor - Eisos (Laboratory)

The night after Sara, his lab assistant, died, Fylas awoke in a severely depressed state. When she had come to him under the praise of another colleague, he had high hopes that they would work well together. She showed great skill with the more academic side of Fylas' work, having been tutored in the academy (unlike Fylas who had more practical knowledge from being an apprentice). But it became more than that. For the first time, he had begun to felt something stir inside him. Lust, desire, love? He could not say what it was he felt, but he knew that she was special. Her death had crushed him just as his mother's did.

So it came as a shock when, upon entering the lab the next morning, he saw the writing on the paper he had left with the rat. "This cannot be! Sara, is that...could that be you?" How could this happen, he had only just begun to explore the necromantic arts. He watched in amazement as the rat, no Sara, began to ink more words onto the page with her claws.

"Yes its me you idiot!"
"How the hell did this happen!"

Fylas had an inkling of an idea how this happened. Her soul must have slipped into the rat's corpse, though how he did not know. Without further study, there was not much he could do. "I will get you out of there Sara," he said trying to comfort her. He had failed to save his mother when she was sick, but he would not fail again. He would save her and get her back into a human form, no matter the cost.

First, he would need to better understand the process of a soul transfer. Fylas collected a live rat from one of the cages. Let's see if I can extract a piece of this rat's soul.

Lab Rat [+4] - Ratting it up.

Necromancy [+2] - Trying to extract just a part of the rat's soul, and transfer it to a glass vial if possible so that I can study it.

Activities: Fylas tries to extract a portion of a rat's soul. The plan is to extract it to a container, so that he will be able to further manipulate and study it. Will not experiment on Sara yet, as he does not want to mess her up or lose her forever.

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 27, 2012

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eerdeth Romul (On the road to Eisos in the Frozen Wilds)

I pull the reins on the horse and come to a stop. As I turn the horse around, I see that my band of followers have also stopped. They motion for me to get off the horse, and I see that one of them has an arrow knocked and ready to loose. I comply with their wish, and jump down from the beast.

All the while, I am thinking as hard as I can, because if I don't find a way out of this, I am as good as dead.

This fool thought he could get away with stealing my horse.

"What did you say, Chief?" I scream over towards the Chief. "I am not a fool, but yes, I did think I could get away with stealing that horse."

The chief and his men look at me with confused looks on their faces.

This boy must be crazy. How'd he know what I was thinking?"

I stop dead in my tracks. "What do you mean 'thinking?' You're talking as loud as day. Everyone can hear you."

The men stare at me for a few moments and then the Chief opens his mouth to speak. "What sort of monster are you? How are you in my head?"

Thinking fast, I begin to realize that something has happened to me. In fact, this explains the voice I thought I heard back at the inn. This new ability presents me an option for escape. I just hope it works.

"Ah, yes. I sometimes forget that you lesser animals lack the ability to commune mind to mind but that is no matter. Listen to me, and listen well. I was sent to your village as a test. A test to see if men still honored the rules of hospitality. Sadly, you have failed that test. First, one of your men tries to rob me of my valuables and then you all chase me down like a stag as I try to escape harassment. Leave me in peace now, or I may be forced to leave the lot of you in pieces. This is not something I want to do. Lots of paperwork and whatnot."

Summary
I try to persuade the men to let me go, by pretending to be some sort of higher order being. I have finally realized that I can read thoughts.

The Eye [+2] - This is loving crazy. Ain't no way I should be able to read thoughts, but, obviously, I never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Smooth Tongue [+2] - If there was ever a time when I needed to say the right words, this would be it. Please let them be fooled. Now is not a good time for me to die, I have mischief to get up to.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Aldrain - The Library

quote:

* Stavos knocks on the door. *knock knock knock*
* Aldrain looks up, startled, and slowly makes his way to the door. Opening it, he clears his throat
Aldrain "Can I help you?"
Stavos "Aldrain Z'Haer, yes? I believe we met several months ago. I am Stavos Burhonhin, Alchemist. I have need of your services and knowledge, and possibly your council. May I enter?"
* Aldrain sighs, and gestures for Stavos to entire, annoyed at the interruption
Aldrain "Please, come in."
Stavos "Thank you. I assure you that this is a truly perplexing problem, or I would not interrupt your studies."
* Stavos enters
* Aldrain snorts
Aldrain "I should certainly hope not! I'm also in the middle of something quite strange."
* Stavos glances at the strange furnishings. Not an entirely unexpected sight, but learned men always keep something unique.
Aldrain "So what is so perplexing that you come to my chamber without an appointment?"
Stavos "How interesting, I've experienced something quite strange myself. Tell me, are there any tomes of alchemy that involve magical rituals that you know of? I have either reinvented the wheel, or I have stumbled over one laying in a clearing."
Aldrain "Alchemy you say?"
* Aldrain hmms
Stavos "I do. I think that I have managed to succeed beyond my wildest expectations, but I dare say that I'm not sure how."
Aldrain "Well, from what I have read, Alchemy is mostly a mystery. No real evidence that it exists at all. I've certainly never encountered anything remotely close to validation."
Aldrain "And you say that you have proof? This is quite a find indeed!"
* Stavos raises an eyebrow, and slowly pulls out the ingot of steel that he transformed earlier.
Stavos "I'm afraid you cannot do more than take me at my word, but earlier today this was lead."
Stavos "I've tried to replicate my success, but I've only managed to do this."
* Stavos pulls out an ingot of slightly shiny lead, one of his failures
Stavos Obviously, I've managed some sort of magical ritual, but I am truly embarassed to say that I haven't a clue what it is that I've done!"
Stavos "To think, I achieve the dreams of the ages but haven't a clue how! I am not sure whether this was a gift or a curse!"
Aldrain "May I examine?"
* Aldrain reaches out towards the ingot
Stavos "Of course."
* Stavos cautiously hands the ingot to Aldrain
* Aldrain takes the ingot and runs his hands across its surface, feeling for imperfections
Aldrain "May I ask what this was originally?"
Stavos "As I mentioned, this was lead at sun-up"
Stavos "A careless word and an rude gesture and, well, now it is not."
Aldrain "Well, hardly the archetypical transformation, but still quite the accomplishment, if you can duplicate the effect."
Stavos "I have," stavos grins, "tested spite and annoyance as reagents but they don't appear to be the key."
Stavos "Ah, and therein lies the problem. These odd lumps are the best that I can do. I've stumbled over a formula, but I've no idea what the ingredients are!"
Aldrain "How unusual. Those are completely unlike the methods hinted at in my studies."
Stavos "And so, I come to you, sir."
Stavos "It is my hope that you will have some tome, some ledger that contains some hint as to what has happened."
Aldrain "I admit, my knowledge in this area is hardly expert, but I think I can point you in the right direction at least."
Stavos "I would thank you greatly for your services here, in whatever payment you desire."
Stavos "Indeed, perhaps I can give you the gift of a sympathetic ear. You mentioned that you yourself experienced something strange. I've found that sometimes the best course of action is to speak of my problem; my error usually lays itself bare in the company of attentive listeners."
Aldrain "If you try in the Arcana section, and look for Marl's 'Transfigurae Metal and Stone'. Its not definitive, but it is a good starting point."
Aldrain "Oh, my issue? Well, hardly as interesting as living proof of Alchemy."
Stavos "Thank you."
* Stavos glances around
Stavos "Sorry, in which directions is Arcana?
Stavos "Now I must hear it! I could use a distraction come to think of it."
Aldrain "Arcana is to the rear. You will need to request access from the Head Librarian. Simply tell him that I sent you."
Aldrain "Well, if you simply must know."
* Aldrain traces a complex symbol in the air, a faint silvery trail appearing. It flashes briefly, and a loaf of bread floats towards his outstretched hand.
Aldrain "See? Hardly comparable."
* Stavos raises an eyebrow
Stavos "I fail to see how this is a problem. You have invented the spouse!"
Stavos "Wit aside, this is quite an interesting trick. Tell me, how long must you practice this? And is there a problem with your conjuration?"
Aldrain "How droll. The oddity is that I never never studied the Arcane, not in any sufficient depth to accomplish this. I simply woke up this morning and idly traced my finger around a word in my book."
Aldrain "No real practice to speak of was necessary."
Stavos "I.... see."
* Stavos glances downward in thought.
Stavos "I must admit, this is a strange coincidence. We have both this morning achieved feats which we never expected."
Stavos "The finger you traced was bread? Have you tried other words?"
Aldrain "Not as yet, no. I will have to experiment, albeit carefully, as I do not know what result I will get."
* Stavos looks back at Aldrain
Stavos "At least that is one area in which I am practiced."
* Stavos strokes his chin in contemplation
Aldrain "True. I am somewhat surprised you still retain your eyebrows, given the things I have read about your kind."
Stavos "I do wonder if this is related to my problem. Tell me, do you know the symbol for change?"
* Stavos waggles his eyebrows at Aldrain
Stavos "I too can carefully practice experimentation."
Aldrain "Well, truth be told, there are many symbols for change. I have been using this primer here."
* Aldrain points to an old book on his desk
* Stavos walks to the desk, and absentmindedly starts touching the book, before jerking his hand away
Stavos "Excuse me, I have forgotten myself."
Aldrain "If you are curious, there may be an additional copy in the Language section. It's on the way to Arcana."
Stavos "Excellent, thank you. I shall be sure to pick up a copy. But I do wonder."
* Stavos replaces the Bread on Aldrain's plate with an ingot of lead
Aldrain "Oh?"
Stavos What do you think of expanding your experiments?
Aldrain "In what respect?"
Stavos "The more I think of it, the more I am disinclined to think this is a simple coincidence."
Stavos "Surely you are not the first to touch that primer, but you are the first to see these effects."
Stavos "Clearly, the cause of it is not that book."
Stavos "Nor is it the symbols themselves; surely someone must have formed one absentmindedly before."
Aldrain "Oh, indeed not. The first book I touched was in fact a simple history book."
Stavos "Similarly, the experiments that I performed did not produce the steel before you, not until this morning."
Stavos "It wasn't the reagents that I had been working with; believe me, I've tried."
Stavos "Nor was it the unkind word nor the poor attitude I exhibited. I tried those as well."
* Aldrain smirks slightly
Stavos "Oh yes."
Stavos "But the TIMING, you see."
Stavos "To be short, I suspect that we have both OURSELVES been changed, and we are OURSELVES the reagents in these reactions."
Stavos "To be blunt; I wonder if you could replicate my success where I could not!"
Aldrain "Well I will admit that the likelyhood of both of us experiencing unusual occurances simultaneously is unlikely."
Aldrain "I am hardly an Alchemist, but I suppose I could attempt this. Allow me to consult my primer."
* Aldrain walks to the table, picks up the book and searches for the page he is after, the one dealing with the word "Change"
Aldrain "Aha! Found it."
Stavos "Wonderful."
Aldrain "So what specifically were you proposing here, that I attempt to transmute the bar to gold myself?"
Stavos "Well, more simply that you attempt to transmute the bar. I'm not as interested in the end result as I am in the event itself. If I am right, and you can do this as well as myself, then our results shall be twofold."
Stavos "Firstly, it will show that alchemy exists, and I will at least know that I have some measure of sanity."
Stavos "Second, it will show that this phenomena is not merely limited to myself, and that perhaps your new... capabilities are similar to mine."
Stavos "Even a failure like this, " pointing to the slightly glassy lead bar, " would give us something to go on."
Aldrain "It would seem I can do... other things as well however."
Stavos "Oh yes, to be clear. You've the power to levitate the leavened."
Stavos "Sorry, that was rude of me."
* Aldrain coughs
Stavos "But indeed, you DO have the power to levitate."
Stavos "You must excuse me for having such a narrowminded suggestion, but it IS an aspect which I suspect you have not yet tried."
Aldrain "This is indeed true, and I may make an attempt at some point. "
Aldrain "Do you want me to attempt the transformation here and no? I must admit I am loathe for you to attempt the same in my office. If things go badly, the library simply is not equipped to deal with such damage."
Stavos "This is a perfectly valid point. No, please do not attempt this here; if you transmute this lead into molten lead, we could do incalculable damage!"
Stavos "My laboratory is made of stone walls, and is, well, accustomed to mishaps."
Stavos "If you would prefer, we could perform the experiment there. Otherwise, I am more than happy to hear your proposal."
Aldrain "That sounds appropriate, and I have nowhere better suited. Shall we depart then?"
Stavos "Yes, lets. I shall return for the books you so kindly suggested afterwards."
* Stavos follows Aldrain out of the office, and leads him to his lab, not forgetting to pick up everything he had brought with him to Aldrain's office.
* Aldrain follows slowly.
Aldrain Once they arrive at the Lab, Aldrain asks "So what do you suggest we start with?"
Stavos "You must forgive the mess. I honestly did not expect visitors when I departed, and I've been very busy today."
* Stavos clears the table and places an ingot of lead upon it
Aldrain "It is no concern to me. I have spent most of my life in a very dusty library."
Stavos "I must admit that here I may need to defer to you, but I have no reason not to start with this."
Aldrain "Well, let us be at it then."
* Stavos steps back, but locks his eyes on the ingot.
* Aldrain focusses on the ingot, and slowly traces Change on the surface, willing the lead to transform into gold
* Stavos has pinned his hopes on this simple piece of lead transforming, or at least doing something. His emotion is palpable.

Attempting to transmute the lead into gold

D: Sigilry +2
M: Scholar +4 - Aldrain has consulted on Alchemy before, and is familiar with the principles required.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Stavos Burhonhim

Subconsciously assisting Aldrain with +2 Transmutation. Stavos really wants this to work so he knows that he isn't crazy

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Andra (Arandia, Coltain)

The coin does a lot to loose tongues in Coltain. Given the city's proclivity for trade it comes as little surprise to Andra that the power of money is great here.

"I heard that the Witch uses the skull of a long lost lover on her stick!" One kid, a little girl with brown hair and a ruddy face from hanging around fields a bit says.

"Oh, she also wears the skin of the people she killed as a cloak!" A second girl says, this one with blonde hair and slightly vacant eyes chimes in.

"Don't be stupid Galariel, she has a skull but no one makes a cloak out of skin. That's just dumb." A bigger kid says with a somewhat sooty face says. He looks like the ringleader of the kids by authority of age and size. "Papa says she lives deep in the forest nearby, because few people go out that way. Leaves a bunch of skulls on sticks to warn trespassers away."

Meanwhile the merchant, who was called Florin, had organised the adults all milling around into three groups, each one lead by a mercenary and a merchant. The mercenary was there to give orders in combat (should there be any), but the merchant was there to make sure they acted in their interests. There were only four other mercenaries in your rag-tag militia.

One of the merchants from the fair grounds approaches you, a man you think was called...Civar? He introduces himself

Success, you manage to organise the group a little, although they're still not trained soldiers and find out some information.

Andra and Civar are now together.

Civar (Arandia, Coltain)

You use some quartz, as you are too poor to afford a proper crystal. Unfortunately you realise why diviners use clear objects, as the image is hard to make out. You can make out a few important landmarks, but you'll be relying on some local hands as much as Andra to find your way.

Failure, you are unable to properly scry the location.

Also you marked your negative trait as a positive, as an FYI.

Ilvis (Arandia, Forest south of Harvan) (You've been rearranged slightly due to figuring out where you wanted to go with the map)

"Fine whatever, losing my hand is a mercy compared to what Baldos will do to me when he finds out I crossed him. I'll lead you there if you think you can kill them." He doesn't seem like he's about to do a runner, but he seems somewhat hopeful about something. Regardless the threat of violence ensure he is complicit in following your instructions and he leads you along a set of not obvious forest paths. As you walk you hear a horse further away whinny.

You reach a certain point and there's a shout and the twang of a bow string snapping. The bandit's eyes go wide and he ducks behind a nearby tree, but doesn't appear to be running further yet.

Mostly success, the guy directs you a bit into the forest, which leads you towards Daveron.

Degowin (Frozen Wilds, Godsheap)

The creature is taken by surprise by the sudden appearance of the human in its lair. It stops singing its bizarre song for a moment, as Degowin stands before it. The giant resembles a human from the front in a vulgar way, with tough leathery skin and a face that was as much a bear or pig as it was a human. It blinks once before Degowin merciless impales it and begins to gut it further. For such a large creature in fact it is surprisingly inept at actually defending itself. The only thing it really has to its advantage in this fight is a thoroughly inhuman toughness and resilience, partly due to its thick leathery skin. At the end though the creature lies on its back, its eyes still and blood trickling down the side of its belly from the many stab wounds Degowin's frost-headed spear inflicted. It was a surprisingly deadly weapon.

The blood seems to hiss slightly as it hits the ground and Degowin can feel...some kind of increase in the air. Not air pressure as such, but it seems thick with something. The agent filling the air seems to come from the wounds of the creature itself, as if its death is letting out some kind of accumulated substance. As Degowin is left to contemplate what he is going to do with the large carcass, and the carcass of his own kill, he can hear faintly the echoing song the creature had been singing.

Success, you kill the creature mercilessly you heartless monster. What do you do with it?

Edo (Eosia, Mudhal)

The Emperor's Road leads from Mudhal, so that is where you first travel to. The road between Blackwater and Mudhal is not too well kept, but there is little of value in the village save for fish and pearls and banditry is kept low by the army. Your trip is rather uneventful and you find yourself at the gates of the city. The guards look at you and shrug, letting you past. Apparently simple fisher folk like yourself aren't considered to be trouble makers.

You realise that travelling the Emperor's road will be hard, but there are many barges that travel up and down the river Elos. Your skill as a fisherman makes you a safe passenger, but they are expensive and so you will need to work (and hard) for your passage.

Success, you can work your way on a barge to Eisos instead if you rather.

Daveron (Arandia, Forest south of Harvan) (You've been moved to match Ilvis)

Daveron begins to find the whole charade rather amusing, everything seems to go wrong for the bandits. In fact, weirdly enough he either seems to know somehow what's going to go wrong before it does, or imagines it going wrong and it seems to happen. After a number of times the coincidence becomes rather hard to ignore, leaving the only impediment to your realisation of this to be your inebriation.

Finally the only bandit left is their leader. He is a tall and large man, clearly fond of food and drink. His girth however belies a brute strength that the others, who lacked the plenty of food this man enjoyed lacked. The weapon of choice for the leader was a large zweihander, which was chipped and nicked which would lead Daveron to the assumption (if coherent enough thought was possible) that it was used to bludgeon and tear apart more than cut.

Success, you've only got the boss left. Additionally unbeknownst to you Ilvis is nearby.

Vanthos (Eisos, Underground Lab)

Your research is now enriched with a new context, however it is this context that begins to shatter some illusions that had already been weakened by the eye. Your father, you are forced to admit, was a hack. He clearly never summoned anything in his life. The only creatures you discover that all have some kind of consistent framework and literature are small devils from one of the hells. Imps of some nature that can perform minor favours for those strong enough of will to bind them. There are three instances where the imp has done favours for someone of seemingly lesser will, by demanding a price for the action. It seems that complex sigils are commonly used to try and bind the creature, but the only essential part is the force of will to break through the barrier between Daesin and the Hells.

Success, you find the secrets to the only summonings that have actually worked.

Adam (Taeless, a mine in Northwest Taeless)

Adam gathers his calm for one moment and then puts one shoulder to the front. The humans learn rather quickly that he had not lost any mass, despite his diminished stature. If anything else, Adam was probably even heavier than before. It takes only a few minutes to force your way out of the crowd before you can move towards the mines. Everyone is sort of stunned by this and you make enough distance for them to decide to just keep talking amongst themselves.

As Adam comes before the entrance of the mine though he feels an odd sensation, almost like an unheard siren song luring him inside. The thought of a stout stone ceiling, even of unshaped rock seemed much more comforting than the unnerving expanse of blue sky. He had never really considered how terrifying all that open space really could be.

Success, you make it to home the mines.

Mazir (Elysisan Sands, Elysia)

"M...master." The first one stammers, clearly trying to ingratiate himself to avoid the fate of his ill-fated comrade. "We are very good at...sneaking into places without being noticed. Maybe we could find you...more...uh...people to eat?"

"Better them than us, right?" The second one replies with a nervous laugh. Both glance in abject terror at the now dessicated corpse of their comrade. A strange by-product of the feeding process perhaps?

As you consider this suggestion, you recall that it was a very euphoric experience and that you might not mind doing that again. But can you wait long enough to not consume these two men as well?

Success, the men will act as kidnappers for you if you wish.

Kovar (Taeless, Town in the North West)

The fight was fairly one-sided. Or rather, completely one sided. The bully of a guard found he could not manage to really do much to Kovar, who was able to predict his every move. Eventually after a number of bruises and becoming thoroughly winded he concedes.

"Alright...stranger...I yield." He pants and his companion looks disgusted. "Algard you fat pig now I'm stuck with your debt as well. And you both know we can little afford to match the worth of that trinket." He said making a sour face and considering the situation.

Success, although not nearly as effective at predicting the moves of a fighter as an army, your strategy seems insightful enough to help with a simple brute. You realise a skilled fighter would be beyond your ability to follow though, you'd be relying on your sword-arm alone.

Wilhelm (Arandia, Minburg)

Bee thoughts are not very complex or sophisticated. However you do feel lots of tiny little tugs to different places, each tug having a distinct flavour. One is 'honey' the other one is 'flower'

Success, but bees are stupid so you will need to be extremely simple and specific when communicating with them.

Octagon (Taeless, Rooftops of Taelos)

The main trait that keep you alive in your profession, was an ability to think on your feet and to adapt. You leap from the window to the accompaniment of a dry amused voice; "Goodbye"

The guards of the man are good enough to chase through their house, and well paid enough to chase a man through the streets. But they were neither skilled or well enough paid to chase you across the roofs. You find yourself thoroughly beyond their reach, but your target will be on guard, and thus harder to kill now.

Success, you manage to evade your pursuers.

Alexios (Taeless, Inn in Taelos)

You end up waiting for some time, in fact most other people in the inn are drunk and heading home by the time one particular man stumbles over to you. Although he acts drunk, his breath is clean of the rank odour of ale that the other men in this place share.

"So, I hear you're interested in finally making a proper stand. No more of these silly play wars. Is this true? Or is someone making up lies to make me look like a fool?"

The man is a veteran soldier, lean and muscled with many scars and missing an eye. He wears clothes that are plain, but holds himself with an air of a man used to leading men. His one good eye meets Alexios' dead in the face unwaveringly.

Fylass (Eosia, Laboratory in Eisos)

You try for some time to extract the soul, without a great deal of success. Eventually you find your mind wandering and it is in that second of empty-thoughts that you feel a subconscious pull as you literally pull out the soul of the rat into you. It clings to your hands, like a misty ichor, ethereal but yet entirely visible to you. As you hold the soul, the very essence of being of the rat in your hands you realise that you somehow had Sara's soul in hour hands yesterday morning. Perhaps as she died she had instinctively reached out to you and you held her down to this world.

The rat's soul was somewhat distressed about its predicament however. You place it into a vial which...has a somewhat unexpected consequence. The soul is literally placed in the vial, metaphysically and literally. It gains a kind of strange aura around it and you can feel the rat's distress at being unable to move, see, hear or sense anything.

Success, however a soul must be placed into something when you do not handle it.

Erdeth (Frozen Wilds, Road to Eisos)

The crowd looks puzzled for a moment and huddle together, whispering to each other. Although you can't hear what they're saying they unconsciously audiate the words in their minds.

"Is he a god?"

"Does he sound like a god?"

"He sounds like a madman.

"Madman never have anything good."

"Just humour him and get him to leave before he spooks a cow or something with his antics."

They seem to make a decision that you're actually just stark raving mad and someone reading their thoughts, maybe some kind of mad witch.

"Oh yes great god, we are sorry for failing your test. Please forgive us our trespass and leave us to our sins!" They say in a loud and exaggerated manner, and it is made clear that they want you to leave as soon as you can. You sense that if you do this, you will at least not be followed or harmed.

Success, you manage to find a way to extricate yourself

Aldrain and Stavos (Eosia, Eisos, Aldrain's home)

Aldrain writes a symbol in the air, the proto-rune for change. As he does so Stavos tries to exert his will without realising. The end result of this is that the symbol that Aldrain wrote changes and suddenly the lead transmutes itself into gold. The now gold nugget lies before them, indisputable proof of what they have just done.

Success, Aldrain managed to transmute the lead into gold, Stavos's aid has shown him a more precise rune for this as well.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 28, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Andra (with Civar) (Arandia, Coltain)

"Deep in the forest, eh? Well, I can handle forests. Thank you, children - now I know somewhat of what to look for." Copper is distributed to the kids - silver for the ringleader, as his information seemed most credible... but before dismissing them, Andra slips another silver coin to the girl Galariel, whispering to her, "Don't let him push you around too much, kiddo. If you let them call you stupid they'll never stop, even when you're smart. I'll check on you when we return, okay? Buy yourself something fun." With a wink, she withdraws, with much work to do.

The organization of the militia meets with her approval; so there are some fighting men here after all. That is better than nothing. She takes a few minutes to learn the names of her fellow mercenaries (Eoghan, a fellow Verdant Islander; Niccolo and Vincenzo, two natives of Coltain; and Travis, who refuses to say where he comes from but has mahogany skin and a fearsome aspect), stressing to them that the militia will be counting on them to lead with clarity and decisiveness - and promising each of them a bonus from her own share of the payments, coin for each militiaman that makes it home alive.

If she's done her math right she'll make plenty for this job; why not spend a bit of it to help ensure that she doesn't lead troops into another massacre? She's done that before; it was no fun. Thinking about it is no fun either, though, so she stops.

Her final order of business before departure? To check on Civar and his scrying attempts. Truly, she placed little stock in them herself - while soldiers have always had their share of superstitions, she has seen too many men and women die clutching amulets of protection to consider them much more than psychological boosters - but it was worth a shot. Thus, Civar's lack of evident results doesn't seem to bother her.

"Nothing definite, eh? Well, no worry - doubtless the witch is using some foul magic or other to hide, right?" She may not believe in superstition, but judging by the business the traveling salesman has done in amulets and charms among the militia, clearly they so, and a good officer knows better than to step on their peoples' morale like that, so she'll play along. "Between your know-how and the rough directions I've gotten from the townspeople, we'll find her. We're heading out - you stick close to me, Civar, I'll want your advice as we travel, I've no doubt."

No sense putting things off any longer - it's time for the militia to set out. Deep into the spooky forest to look for skull piles. Yeah, that won't end badly.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Daveron (Arandia, Forest south of Harvan)

Daveron wobbles a bit, then stumbles over to his dropped weapon, keeping his eyes on the bandit the whole time. Leaning up, he runs his hands through his hair, breathing heavy from the fight.

"Look...uh, bandit." Daveron points to the men on the ground. "We really don't have to do this, I'm just looking for someone." Daveron watches as the bandit approaches, and he spots a deadfall nearby; Daveron grins.

Using Bad Luck +2 to have the bandit leader guy slip and fall into a deadfall (presumably of bandit making).

If he attacks, I'll defend with Strong Body +4 and Dirty Fighter +4.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Adam (The mines of Sellos, a North west Mining town in Taeless)

Finally, he muttered to himself, rushing as fast as his new stubby legs could carry him. For a moment, he had worried that they would do something monumentally bothersome, asking stupid questions like if he had always been like this, but they had never noticed. Like if he had something funny to eat that night.

Like if other parts of him had shrunk.

He shuddered, rubbing his forearms in frustration. His mind raced to the night before - had anything special happened? He went drinking, sat on the outside terrace, watched the stars from the cha...

He paused, an odd memory running through his head. Something different. Something strange in the night sky.

It was only the morning horn blowing by the mines that suddenly brought him out his stupor. He was there - the North west Sellos mines. A large, gaping hole dug by his forefathers into the mountain side, the town's rather desperate source of major income. Even with the morning light shining by the entrance everything seemed dark, gloomy, confined. He could spot abandoned overalls from his co-workers, probably from them heading to the nearby spring to bathe last night. Tt looked cluttered, claustaphobic, and unfriendly.

It looked... beautiful.

Once again, his thoughts seemed to be alien, telling him feelings he had never had all his life, but for once, he welcomed it. There had always been something about being underground that left him content, only now it had reached the point of ecstasy. Like an escape, a place to calm your mind, and work your way through the world.

He walked in, eyes widened, absently grabbing an unlit torch from the rack as he ventured in with his pickaxe. The walls looked jagged, unkempt, but already in his head he could here patterns that were never there, signs and colours of the soil showing him how far down deposits of metal were. Easier routes to reach them. Faster ways to mine them.

Of course, naturally these were nowhere near as fasinating as the fact that three minutes into the walk, he discovered that he had forgotten to light the torch. His eyes were seeing just... fine.

Well, he said to himself, mostly to calm himself down. No point in panicing. Just get to work.

And work he did.

(Action: Going to mine like my life depended on it, using these new strange skills I've just discovered.
Traits:
+4 Metal worker: I have done this all my life. No reason to have a problem with this now.
+2 Dwarf (Divine): How on earth does being shorter mean you can mine faster and better? Okay fine I can see in the dark too, and can work my way around the caverns without a guide, and instantly know what metal or stone I've touched's composistion... BUT STILL!
-2 Don't want no trouble: There will be other workers here. Best I avoid them incase they notice.)

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Koth (Approaching Godsheap)

Laughing to himself, Koth brushes the snow from his clothes. The wolves never did take well to new things, maybe he will try again later.

For now, Koth has a thousand things he wants to try. Impossible thefts, legendary pranks, closed room murders, a whole realm of possibilities opening before him.

And nothing can sto- Wait what's that?

There's something strange on the godsheap!

And strange means interesting!

Amazing powers can wait, wierd things must be investigated immediately.

Gah, missed the time, sorry.
Moving to investigate quickly and stealthily.
Am I right in assuming we can combing three mortal traits? If not, disregard Animal Cunning.
Deceptively quick[+4] to move quickly, The Big Bad Wolf[+4] for forest navigation, Animal cunning[+2] to notice anything unusual.

Ryoutarou
Nov 6, 2009
Lilian - The Rooftops somewhere in Taeless

Being caught off guard from the housewives yelling she would lose her balance just as she made another leap. "Ahhhh!" she let out a short scream as she fell towards the ground.

Desperately trying to focus on her new found abilities she would try to slow the decent of her fall towards the rapidly approaching earth. Landing awkwardly she would continue into a forward tumble and falling flat on her face, sending jolts of pain through her body.

"Owww..I can't believe I fell.." after a few moments she pushed herself up off the ground and stood up. She met the gaze of a tall man dressed in a blue uniform that the city watch wore. She cursed her luck mentally. "Uh yes?"

+2 Divine: Wind Flow - Lessening the impact of the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Mazir (Elysisan Sands, Elysia)

Mazir continued to let the euphoria pour over his body, he warmth, the tingling, it made him feel so alive. Yet he could feel it waning, he was refreshed to be sure, but the god feeling was already leaving.

Hungrily, he turned his gaze to his two captives, surely they could provide him another boost....Another moment of satiation.

"M...master." The first one stammers, clearly trying to ingratiate himself to avoid the fate of his ill-fated comrade. "We are very good at...sneaking into places without being noticed. Maybe we could find you...more...uh...people to eat?"

The mans blubbering snapped Mazir out of his thought. What was he thinking? He couldn't waste a precious resource like minions, especially not to fuel a sensation, he thought mentally chastising himself.

You want power Mazir? To rule over the weaklings, then you need to keep those impulses in check, don't fall like the megalomaniacs before you"

Snapping his finger, he made several tendrils uncoil from his captives (though he kept a few in place to ensure they would be slowed if they tried to escape).

"An interesting proposition". He said looking at the first man "Yes...Yes quite interesting, and one that can mutually benefit us both I feel. This power, this sensation is quite unique, I was able to regain all my energy I expended on your compatriot and your bindings and then some. More souls could perhaps give me more."

Pausing he, rested a hand on each of the men's shoulders "You have offered your loyalty, you recognized your better, that is good, and now I give you an opportunity to make good on that pledge. Serve me well, bring me......fuel, as we shall call it, and I shall make sure you are reward well and taken care of. I believe there is little a mage cannot do, and I'm certain that any whim or desire you two might have will be taken care of. If I can fully tap this restorative power, then even immortality might be within grasp.....Serve me well enough and I can offer this to you as well."

"But....
he hissed, digging his nails into their shoulders just enough to draw a small trickle of blood If you ever turn your back on me, if you betray me, if you try to bring harm to me, then know that there is no force that will stop me from taking vengeance, no wall, or soldier that will stop me. I will find you and make your end slow, drawn out, and painful. Then I will eat your soul. Does this not sound fair, service for all the worldly rewards you could desire, for the promise of no betrayal?"

Both men nodded their heads vigorously, slightly wincing at the sight of their blood, but still eagerly nodding their heads.

Good said Mazir, removing his hands from his shoulders. Snapping his fingers once more, all the tendrils holding the two dissipated. Licking his fingers, he rubbed them over the small cuts he made on the two and mended their flesh.

Stepping back, Mazir looked at his two minions: "What are your names?" he asked.

"I....I am Hatun and this is Zel the taller one responded, gesturing to his companion with his left hand.

Well Hatun and Zel, before you go off and find me my fuel, I'll need to show you a few things, you may be thieves, but you're not kidnappers, not yet anyways. Fortunately, I have a few tomes that might help. Once I've instructed you, I need to you gather three people for me. We can keep them in my cellar, but take your time, we have no need to rush, and I'd rather you two got everything right.

Both men nodded their heads, and Mazir spread his arms, magically grabbing several academic tomes from his shelf

Lets get started then

I'm doing two things, I'm convincing the two to be loyal to me (both by scaring the crap out of them, but also by offering good reward for their service. I am also teaching them ways to incapacitate a person for kidnapping purposes, using some of my tomes I have around my home that do not relate to magic.

[+2 Charismatic] to hammer home the point about them being loyal to me.

[+4 Knowledge] to teach them to be effective kidnappers (how to incapacitate someone, how to disperse their patter so it can't be traced to a single location, how ti tie really good knots)

[+4 Magic] For the healing of their minor cuts and grabbing stuff off the shelf (they auto pass if I remember correctly).

Also Hatun and Zel are ordered to capture three people for Mazir, but they can take their time and they can grab whomever they wish, people from their homes or street vagrants, Mazir's not picky right now).

• Locked thread