Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wilhelm the Child Hater

"Fah! FAH!" Wilhelm picks up the basket and carries it into his home, "Hmph! I've been stung more than once before and -I- didn't run back to my mother when it happened. Toughen up, you baby!" It made him smile on the inside to complain even though his day was already ruined by the event.

He shuffles slowly through his house, groggy from his lack of sleep due to the rowdy celebration through the town. When he reaches the table with filled honeypots he kicks his woolen slippers off and begins the process of exchanging the empty vessels for the full ones.

He then sits down nearby his iron-shod stove and places his feet into his mud-caked boots to prepare himself for the journey to the market. He picks up his walking stick, pops out his door, and begins the journey to the market.

Wilhelm always hated the market. There were too many loud people and it was always operating long after sleeping hours. It was always booming with the voices of the folk who brought back their goods from whatever city states they had happened to visit. Not to mention the horrible foreigners that were always out and about. Had he seen these folk twenty years ago he'd have been in prime shape to throttle them.

It was soothing to pass through the great hilled meadows of flowering plants and grains for him, though the bees were unusually loud and busy for this time of year. Almost as if they had been following him this entire time- The old man is suddenly hit with why he had left his home in the first place- To make sure his delivery makes it to the market. The market that was in front of him. The delivery that was still sitting in the back room of his home. His slowing down comes with an odd, eerie quiet as the bees stopped buzzing, and turning around reveals the basket had taken the time to follow him out to the market.

There is little point in questioning some things in life. Like how an inanimate object follows you. He probably just forgot that he picked it back up in the first place. Sometimes the mind goes before the body when old age comes.

He wraps his venerable fingers about the basket's handle and makes for the market stall where the stung boy and his mother would be. As he finally reaches it he sets the basket back down and makes a demand without even assessing the situation, "Woman, quit peddling your goods and pay attention so you can learn something useful for once in your life! I'll show you how to treat bee stings..."

Just takin' honey to the market and treating the boy of his bee stings. Suppose I'll be using Master Beekeeper to do it.

Commoners posted:

Wilhelm the (unofficial) Court Apiurgist

A long native of northeastern Arandia, Wilhelm has firmly cemented himself into the farmer's routine in the small republican holdout of Minburg, which borders the Gindarr Jungle and occupies a healthy percentage of the region's most fertile land. The grain and produce merchants who regularly trek out from Minburg have become wealthy enough in their own right to have a constant garrison of mercenaries to turn themselves into too much of a nuisance to conquer or repress while not large enough of a threat to be eliminated promptly.

Much of this wealth may be attributed to the mononymous Wilhelm who revolutionized the farming techniques in the region and gave them a significant edge in their volume of goods. Not only did he revolutionize the techniques of farming (which the republic keeps as a closely guarded secret despite Wilhelm's willingness to share,) but he also introduced beekeeping on a massive scale to the folk of Minburg.

In the years of Wilhelm's work bees have been attributed to wealth, success, luck, and fertility, so much so that it has been represented on some of the psuedonobility's coat of arms. He has kept to his own devices in his later years, teaching those who come to him for lessons in his knowledge and tending to his charge.

Qualities

Agricultural Genius [+4] - Even before his power came to be Wilhelm had a green thumb. Years of practice and lessons learned have combined with a focused intellect to create a farmer and agricultural adviser of great worth.

Entymologist [+2] - Even a focused mind can become sidetracked, and ventures into the Gindarr Jungle have left Wilhelm with a collection of exotic beasties and crawlies from the foreign environment. He has studied bugs at home and abroad, and knows their inner workings.

Master Beekeeper[+4] - Wilhelm has gained favor in Minburg for his nearly free instruction and guidance in the republic's farmlands, and has become a notably wealthy and prestigious individual just from the sheer amount of bees that he owns. There are few successful farmers in Minburg that cannot directly trace their own hives to that of Wilhelm's.

Foible
Crotchety[-2] - Some people consider him rude. Some people have been violently assaulted by him. Wilhelm considers both groups severely annoying. And the years have been catching up with him. Kids these days have it easy.

Divine
Hive Mind Usurper [+2] - Is he naturally talented? Been doing it for so long it's like breathing? Sold his soul to the devil for forbidden beekeeping knowledge? Two of the three are likely to be true, but Wilhelm's orderly and systematic colonies are a direct product of their human overlord's intervention. He may intrude into any insect society to turn into a direct link in the hive mind, easily edging himself into previously nonexistent positions in the insectile hierarchies of order.

Personality:
You're ruining everything! - Wilhelm is quick to blame the most responsible party for everything going wrong, and isn't afraid to be very vocal about it.

Let me show you how it is done! - He is as much an instructor and teacher as he is a gibbering, raving critic. His standards have reached an unattainable high, but he forcefully impresses them upon others in hopes of improving them.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm

A heated argument went on between the mother and child while Wilhelm treated the stings, all three of their voices growing louder to overpower the conversation, "And then you dab a bit of vinegar on before removing the-"

"Mommm, I didn't do-"

"I did -not- raise a vandal!"

"But if you don't do it properly then it will just burn more-"

"I didn't do anything at all! Really, I-"

"Don't you lie to me, I'll have you know-"

"Then you just wrap it for one hour-"

"I'm not lying! I swear that I'm-"

"Oooh, you just wait until your father gets back from Harvan-"

"You both nag more than my estranged wife!" Wilhelm shouted as his lessons were ignored. It wasn't hard to nag more than his estranged wife, on the account that she was long dead, but his point was clear. He stands up from the small stool, and make his way out of the door while the two stand in silence for a moment longer As he departs the argument carries on.

The old man hates the market, but he hates most things now-a-days. Being there is a good enough excuse to go shopping, so he began moving about from stall to stall. He eventually settles upon a wigmaker's stall, the owner of which is occupied with another client, and he rubs at the long-progressed bald spot sitting at the top of his skull. He sighs, knowing that he will never have the same head of hair as he did in his youth.

Subconsciously requesting that the bees make a glorious hairpiece upon my balding head using my +2 divine power. Also +4 Master Beekeeper to represent a general density of bees. Sometimes a divine being must be careful about what he wishes for.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 22, 2012

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg, Northeast Arandia

"Hmmn... Hmm.. Oooh, yes..." It felt good enough. Natural enough. There was nothing quite odd about about having a a thick covering of bees-

What was he thinking? There was nothing at all normal about this, and it was his top priority to not be stung by a swarm of bees on his scalp. So the best thing to do when surrounded by bees is to act natural. They're just about on his business on top of his scalp, and they plainly told him that they were there to keep him warm and beautiful. Maybe he has developed dementia since last night? No sudden movements. Act like they aren't even there.

"Hello, Wigmaker. I am considering buying one of your wigs," Wilhelm says between clenched teeth. He's sweating bullets, and he can still feel the buzz and hum of the bees covering his scalp.

"Let me just open my coin purse, and get the five coins you want for this," His hands remain clenched at his side, afraid to move, though the bees perform the task for him. A chunk of his toupee melts away and moves down his side to open up his purse and begins trekking the coins to his palm.

He sets them down on the counter, acting like nothing odd has happened. Because nothing odd has happened. This is perfectly natural. At least that's what the bees- His mind has told him. They're here to serve him after all. Naturally. It is his kingdom, and the bees his servants.

Or something. Maybe he is going a bit insane. Wilhelm finally makes his move to pick up the wig and set it in his basket, "Thank you, Wigkeeper. I-"

He turns, looking to the stunned and silent crowd surrounding him in the Minburg market. There were no calls for the greatest deals, the best grains, the newest bauble or trinket. There was only the buzz of bees about his head. Don't get stung. Act naturally, Wilhelm.

"What!? You've never seen a man covered in bees before!?" He blurts out, before storming back off to his home. The bees disperse back to their hives, slowly melting away from his scalp as he opens up distance with the market. As he stomps off he hears only low whispers about the oddity, and as he goes further away the natural sounds of the market begin once again.

As he hits his front door he pulls off his travelling boots and shouts to the air at the apparent prank from nature, "If you're so smart, little ones, why don't you tell -me- about these farmlands!?"

Using Divine +2 and Agricultural Genius +4 to get the lowdown on the local area's farms from my bees. Are they smart enough to communicate, or will they tell Wilhelm what he needs to know with just an instinctual level of communication?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm (Arandia, Minburg)

"Yes... Yes. Flowers. Of course. And honey. I've never considered that these things may be what pass through the minds of a bee," sarcasm bleeds from between Wilhelm's teeth as he speaks, his face left gawking more so at the simplicity of the response than the fact that he received one in the first place.

The old man works about the rear of his house where he wrestles his gardening shed door open. He pounds against one of the rickety wooden walls until a raccoon goes scampering free from its squatted home, and he begins going through one of the well crafted drawers where he keeps seeds. He pulls one open- Vegetables- and closes it. He pulls another open- Fruits- And closes it. He finally draws open the one where he keeps all his flowers for the season. The ones he never got around to planting because he always had something else to do. A buzz starts at the back of his mind, and his new-found minions begin gathering once again to answer the call.

The thousands of bees move about inside of his shed buzzing and humming and communicating greetings from different hives all with a common goal in mind- Wilhelm's desire to sew his freshly fallowed field with thousands of flower seeds.

Using my Divine +2 along with Agricultural Genius +4 to sew a field of flowers into the fields utilizing the bee method of seed dispersal.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm has gone completely mad (Arandia - Mindburg -> Outer Gindarr Jungle)

The old man moved with vigor. So much to do. So much to see. They were part of him as much as he was part of them, and all of them so young and stupid. And he was so wise and old!

It was a perfect pairing, effectively giving him the youth he barely ever had and companions that didn't whine, moan, complain. They were hard workers through and through, and excellent companions. With all their strengths, though, they could not learn, so it fell upon Wilhelm to learn everything for them.

"Come, my little companions, let the flowers grow and let us go elsewhere!"

He wiggled his toes into his boots, threw on his pointy, felt hat, and hiked a backpack up onto his back with a few jars of honey and a few loaves of bread. A veritable swarm of bees climbed into his backpack, and when it was finally full of his companions the rest that could not find vacancy bumbled off to find business elsewhere.

The hivemind moves as one to the Eastern horizon, where the dread Gindarr Jungle awaits, though it was not so dreadful now that he had such good protection. Several hours pass before Wilhelm finally reaches where the roads end, and he pushes on through the brush. He listens carefully, searches under leaves, and general spends his time flipping logs and scanning the jungle floor for anything of interest.

Using Hivemind Usurper +2 to have my bees sort of scan out for anything of interest and also to tap into any local hiveminds of other interesting bugs, and using Entymologist +2 to look for and identify any interesting critters.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm (Arandia, Southern Gindarr Jungle)

Embrace the madness, old man. It's not like you'll live long with your mind this far gone. You have a backpack full of bees, after all.

"Come then, little ants! Climb aboard and we shall make a true peace accord of our time!"

As the ants swarm up his boots he moves to try and find some wasp nests to communicate with.

Using etymologist +2 and hivemind usurper +2 to try and find some wasps and keep from having a fight break out immediately on contact.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 10, 2012

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Southern Gindarr Jungle -> Home, Minburg

He knew he was not dreaming, because his dreams were pleasant. Hearing screams of distress and watching his companions be dismembered and torn to shreds was not a pleasant thing at all. Maybe he wasn't even crazy, much to his dismay.

Though it is still not normal to hear the screams of distress from ants and bees. Wilhelm found himself withdrawing from the jungle to distance himself from the cruelties of the wasps, and returned to his farm with the new colony of ants riding across the surface of his boots.

It is another long walk, but the tired man still has much to do and little would stop him besides utterly passing out. He stops in the middle of an undeveloped field nearby his own land where he allows his riders to dismount, "My new companions, I would ask of you to create a colony here, and pull down the grass and tumble the dirt so that it may breathe. Eat what grubs and bugs you find, but to ready this field for planting so that everyone, including yourselves, may prosper would go a long way!"

Wilhelm is gonna use Agricultural Genius +4 and Hivemind Usurper +2 to see how good the ants would be at preparing a field and working the earth compared to the bees. He's going to spend some time directing them and see if they can begin working autonomously after that.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

The old man had discovered something new! He had to inform the masses to get it into their stupid heads, as this would be the thing that would take the city into the next golden era. With a buzz of his mind and a clickety clack of his old joints he was once again covered in his ant and bee colonies, and he moves for Minburg once again.

The market's initial reaction is shock, as the rumors passed around were written off as a joke from the old man, who probably slathered his head with honey to attract the insects. "People of Minburg! I have made an important- Don't you look at me like that- Discovery!" Wilhelm smiles widely as he is about to disperse his slew of knowledge, "I don't know how it works, but the bees and ants now talk with me!" He shuffles his old bones as he snags more and more attention with dark mutterings about his bee cap and ant-covered boots.

His audience was looking at him funny. The bunch of louts didn't believe him! His proof would be through actions, because they thought he was crazy just like he thought he was crazy. Wilhelm shuffles closer to the granary, before requesting that his companions begin pulling any vermin from the market's grain storage.

"Don't fail me now, my friends!" Wilhelm shouts as he tosses his ant-covered boots into the grain.

Using my Hivemind Usurper +2 and Etymologist +2, with Crotchety -2, to try to extract vermin from the grain with his ants and bees.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

His heart sank with grief. His pride and hubris cost the lives of hundreds or thousands of his children. It was a pyrric victory in the best of terms, though even he could not justify the massacre that he had done upon them. He sank back to his home to nurse his charges back to health with a heavy heart.

Using Beekeeper +4 and Entymologist +2 to try to nurse the population back to health :(

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg -> South Gindarr Jungle

Something dire had happened- Disgusting, gut wrenching. He did not know what it was but it made his heart skip. Perhaps he had finally gone over that edge of madness that he had been pondering about for the past few days, though it was clear enough that his reality was real.

But that feeling- It was undeniably real and it made him worry. He felt that he had to surround himself with protection, to protect his charges, his life. His community of men and bugs alike. The people did not realize that a time of change had come upon them, where before bees were simple servants of convenience and ants were nuisances for picnickers, but he was now responsible for the protection of Minburg from this feeling. An awful one for sure.

So he pulled on his protective beesuit made of thick wools and lined with reeds to hold the fabric away from his body. He tied it closed to his body and made for the jungle once again, determination in his cranky steps.

His penetration into the jungle brought him back to the wasps, though he was without his bees nor his ants, and he waded towards the same swarm that had rebuked him so long ago.

Using Master Beekeeper +4 to be able to put myself in the middle of the wasps, and Hivemind Usurper +2 to try and get control of them again.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Southern Gindarr Jungle -> Minburg

poo poo. It is one of the best fertilizers of the fields. It smells bad. It has rained all over his day today, because now he has turned into a filthy bug. Perhaps this was just part of the insanity and his brain had finally gone all the way? Wings, after all, were something that he never had before, but were something that he always wished that he had.

Bzzt.

And yet there they were. Not quite the glorious things that he had wished for, as he much preferred those of a bird. Like on of the angels in the glass windows. He presses one of his chitin-plated feet into the dirt, and looks at the murky reflection in the water. There still had to be some of himself left- After all, he was still thinking like himself, though he no longer felt alone. It was hard to be lonely with thousands of voices talking to you all at once- All of them minor, industrious, and important all the same time.

Not like those people who always whined for more, yet did such so that they could just work less. These calls for more were as genuine as the work they put towards that "more." The people of Minburg could learn lots from these bugs.

Though thinking of hypothetical possibilities was a troublesome thing, just like daydreaming. He may be back in the prime of his life as a horrid bug creature, but that did not mean he had to break his usual routine. He returned back to his home in Minburg, cloak tightly wrapped about his features, where he began orchestrating his plan.

All he had to do was provide minor direction to his charges and all would be well. And just stay composed. Don't panic, old man, this is something that everyone goes through. Really.

Using Insect Lord +2 (Is this divine? If not, I'll not use it), Divine: Hivemind Usurper +2, and Agricultural Genius +4 to begin a Minburg-Scale insect agriculture! The wasps will rove the fields and eliminate any rodents or unwelcomed bugs that are ruining the crops, the bees will continue to keep the fields pollinated while making sure their honey stocks are healthy enough to feed the bug community, and the ants will continue to plant and tend to the fields. How could a man refuse to feed the world when given such an opportunity?

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 29, 2013

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

The child wanted to fly. That is easy enough to arrange, and he has to make a delivery to town anyhow. His many-legged companions were far beyond any normal level of efficiency, and they created a great overhead of food that could be shared with the townspeople. It is one of the things that has allowed people to spread all about, their ability to transport and keep foods beyond the immediate meal that they were eating, and it was something that his companions already knew full well about.

He sighs, frustrated by the pleading, excited eyes of the child. He could have just had him stung and that would be quite the laugh- The sound of wasps beginning to buzz make him perish the thought before he could possibly regret could happen. Cooperation between the different species underneath him clearly carried great benefits, and adding another group to the fold couldn't hurt. Minburg may not know it, but grave danger still looms off in unknown distances. He had to create strong bonds that could not be broken by such a thing.

Wilhelm hoists the child up underneath the arms as his companions move and begin moving the mass of his extra crops, "Don't wriggle too much or I will drop you." His wings sound off a loud "ZZZZZZZZZzt!" as he flicks them at an extraordinary speed, lifting off from the ground and into the air to head towards the market square.

Carrying the child and the food towards the square using Insect Lord +2 and Hivemind Usurper +2. If that kid wiggles too much from excitement I'm gonna drop his rear end into the mud or something not too pleasant (but not lethal or causing major harm.) I'm gifting the food to Minburg!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

It was happening again. People were giving him those strange looks, and he responded the only way he knew how, "What, you've never seen a bug man before!?" It was a rhetorical question, clearly, and it was one that was responded with the proper answer. Stone silence. Wilhelm had to think quickly before his rhetorical question was responded with an improper, literal answer of rocks and thrown objects. The old man may be a grouch and even sometimes an instigator of violence, but he was never an intentionally violent person. He had never really hurt anyone before, and even though he had changed his temperament was the same as it had always been, "I am here because I cannot hide this from any of you. I've no better way of saying what has happened except that I have changed."

The old man paused on that final word. 'Changed' was the least that could be said about what has happened to him, "My body has changed, but I have not. Youth has returned to my body- I no longer ache, and I may move faster than I ever have before, but I am still Wilhelm." His eyes began to tear up. It was the first time in a long time that he had spoken from his heart, and his spirit was brittle with years of self-created isolation and buried emotion. "I've found that I may speak with insects," he chokes out as he waves a chitinous arm towards the parade of foodstuffs that is moving to and fro on his insect servants, "And it is the first time that I have not felt alone for the past thirty years."

His heart flutters as the words continue, "Though I have taken all of you for granted, because I have always considered you as the family that I have never had. The people to carry on my legacy when I have passed." Wilhelm pulls in another breath, his gut full of butterflies, "I am still Wilhelm, and if you allow me to continue to teach you- Help you as I always have- you will never live through another hungry night, but first you must honor me with your trust."

He felt like he just ate gravel, and his mouth went dry. His very human plea still conflicted with his very bug-like appearance; his hemolymph chattering and groaning as he nervously shifts, awaiting a reaction from his audience. He looks upon the boy at his side with pleading eyes as he awaits judgement from his home. The thing that he has invested his entire life into improving and helping.

Wilhelm is pleading with Minburg to not stone him to death and to let him help them as he always had despite his significant, scary change. I would hope that his reputation in the area as an Agricultural Genius +4 and Master Beekeeper +4 will help in his plea, but Wilhelm also cannot help it that he is Crotchety -2.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

Uh oh. Now he had people in his head. This was probably a bad thing, because he really did not like talking to people. Though if they could speak to him, then they would also be able to speak to what were previously his private companions. Perhaps they would even listen to each other for what was needed?

Wilhelm calls out to the changed folk of Minburg to meet with him, and upon arrival he begins quizzing them and asking questions for what they are capable of doing. The ease of the communication through the mind- It was an odd thing that made him slightly more understanding and empathetic with the citizens of Minburg compared to his usual self.

After most of the gatherers arrived he began teaching them how to communicate with their less-brained, yet still important, brothers and sisters of miniature size.

Using Insect Lord +2 and Master Beekeeper +4 to teach people how to communicate, help, and get help from the actual insects in the hive mind. I dunno if Crotchety -2 would play into this because people in the hive mind would probably have a greater understanding of his usual hostile demeanor, but if it does hammer that on too.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

Little thoughts nag at the back of his mind as he ushers those that he regards as new family members on their way, and Wilhelm wonders whether these things are part of whatever has done this to him or if they are actually his own thoughts. How could a field know if the grasses there are naturally there or if a farmer has sewn seeds for his own purposes? Was there something of a higher power experimenting with him, and in turn making him perform experimentations of his own?

There was no way to know for sure and it certainly felt good, but at what price did this youth, vigor, and new insight come?

It was all terrifying to what used to be a man who had surrendered to his mortality long ago.

He needed time to think to himself, and so he left his family-folk to keep everything running in his stead.

Going to go explore the Gindarr Jungle. I guess Hivemind Usurper +2 would help me scout out quickly by being able to tap into the local fauna, and Insect Lord +2 comes with the ability to fly and bug senses.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

The town was in a state of infancy- The people were closer than they ever were before, and yet they were still unique individuals. Communication became something simple, so easy and with so few misunderstandings that the people knew what to expect from each other. It was a paradise where food was aplenty and the entire town neighborly, respectful- It was all perfect for Wilhelm.

But it was something fragile, and he knew that as an Arandian buffer psuedostate, such unfortunate freakishness as appearance could potentially cause panic from those who surround him. Minburg had stung no one yet, but it only took a few small misperceptions, a rumor, and an accident to bring the whole of the confederated kingdoms down on Minburg with torch and axe. It was something that would be deadly: Though they may be armored, winged, and strong, the people of Minburg are still just farmers, and it was being the best farmer- The best neighbor- that would guarantee Minburg's survival.

So carts were prepared, drawn by horses and those merchant Minburgians. Their task was simple- To gift food to the surrounding kingdoms, towns, and fiefs to show Minburg's good will. Men who do not face hunger are happy, content men, and happy, content men are men who are not trying to kill everyone and take what they have.

Using Insect Lord +2 and Agricultural Genius +4 to gift food and maybe open up some trade to make friends in the region. This'll be the overall time skip project.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

It was worrisome and dreadful- The thought of war and his people or any people coming to harm over a simple and stupid misunderstanding. There had to be a way to talk it out, though it was certain that he would not simply have his people lay down and die. Such a thing was not an acceptable option, and he began buzzing about on his business of thinking up a plan. Polling and open functions let the townspeople join in on the discussion with Wilhelm as he scouted about the very familiar, yet now abandoned farmhouses and fully worked fields.

"We should just run away to the jungle!" remarked one voice, concerned with the well being of its family.

"We can't just let them take our land! We've lived here for generations, and my children will live here too," retorted another, the fires of passion audible in its tone.

"I have family in Tellu, and they're marching here- We can't hurt them, please!" begged another.

There are many voices in the discussion, all pointing in a different direction. There is no organization between the one mind made of hundreds of individuals, and it is clear that his silence did not contribute to it. He was no leader of warmongers. He is just a farmer, just as his people are.

And so his voice joins the rest, "Take the women and children to the Gindarr, where our relatives will keep them safe. Should Minburg fall, that is where our future will be." The words choked up in his mind, like trying to swallow sand. The thought that it could all be burnt depressed him, "We will flood the fields, creating mud that cannot be moved through easily. Dig pits where we may capture them in small numbers, isolating them and making them easy to deal with. Hang the banners of Minburg from our home. We will force a surrender with as little bloodshed as possible."

The many individuals, great and small, move as one body to evacuate and prepare for the worst.

Going to be using Insect Lord +2 and Hivemind Usurper +2 to coordinate efforts for the farmers to flood the fields and dig tunnels and pits that will drop out underneath men to capture them and pick them off, where they can later be released. Wagons and farm equipment will be used as barricades to further mire movement where the mud and pits do not, hopefully spreading the forces out further.

Also I'd like to try to talk it out when they make their initial approach.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 1, 2013

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Arandia, Minburg

Prebattle

He fluttered down from the sky wielding a washing pole with a white cloth affixed to it in parlay to the mob that called itself an army. Wilhelm vocalized so that all may hear, "You should all just go home now. We of Minburg may just be peaceful farmers, but we don't show hospitality to raiders and thugs! We may have all changed, but we're no different from you in that we just want to live here in peace." His temper began flaring at the sight of these brutes, and it felt like his chitinous scalp had already caught on fire. Burn down Minburg will they? Wilhelm had never even thought that something like that would happen, and now these people thought they could get away with something so dastardly, "Go AWAY! You've already caused enough trouble here! This is why the world is going to poo poo, it's because of idiots like you doing stupid things!"

Uh oh. His temper was already far gone and he knew it. Diplomacy and friendliness were two things that Wilhelm never managed to grasp. Before anything got worse he decided to buzz back to Minburg.

In the now

"What do we do? We can't just keep them like this forever," mutters one voice of the Hive, and it is clear to Wilhelm that there is no other option except to jump to continue the orders immediately.

"Make sure that anyone wounded in the battle is treated. Give them fresh water and at least passable meals as a show of hospitality- They are no different from us. Make sure they have blankets and at least some straw for bedding. Release a few men from each town to let them know that everyone will be returning safely. They also deserve an apology for the quality of their quarters- We only had a week to dig it out, yes?"

Minburg over the years prior to this change had always given food to its guests, and when these same towns that came to raze and pillage were in need of aid it was always ready to oblige. Killing them would be to spit at a history of generosity that came even before Wilhelm.

"Over the next week release the men in small groups and make sure they head home. Send for the women and children to return, as I am sure that they are worried for our safety," Wilhelm sighed, as it seemed that the attack had ended without any true bloodshed, "And request some assistance from the towns in refurrowing our fields. We have been set back a week from this debacle."

Nobody needed to die for such a stupid debacle.

Just releasing the attackers in small groups to go home after showing them some basic hospitality. Hopefully they'll realize that we're not crazy murderbeasts. Also bringing the women and children home. Dunno if any of this really needs any dice rolls, but I have my two divine traits to make it all a coordinated effort if it does need something? No idea.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 7, 2013

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

"Do you know how much people pay for a big, stone wall? It's so much that we don't even have one!" Wilhelm is excited. It is clear that the wall is meant as a containment device, but such does little for those who could climb anything that is not polished smooth or able to fly. The logic behind the outlying villages' actions is clearly motivated by fear and panic, but it is a silly decision that costed them many manhours and time out of the fields. It was good that no one was harmed during the small spat, but the quicker that the silliness would end, the better for everyone.

"Go and help them. Dismantle our old homes and use the stone for this. We'll do this right the first time!"

Wilhelm is going to use Hivemind Usurper +2 and Insect Lord +2 at the front to personally assist in shoring up a wall made out of whatever stone they can salvage from Minburg's old buildings. The Minburgians will coordinate their effort with the others if it's wanted, or will work elsewhere on the wall if they are repelled. Wilhelm will lead from the front!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg, Arandia

Hatred and spite in its purest form is something easy to spot, though it is so long ago that Wilhelm had felt such things. It always used to be irritation or minor annoyance with those he was working with, but if he sees such things as his people would he think the same as these ones?

Perhaps, but it is not worth pressing the issue. It is clear that Minburg is no longer welcome, and that the wall that now stands erect is meant to contain Minburg. It is a border drawn, but it is one of advantage to a community still in a larval state. Make the nation a paradise within, and when it is ready to hatch the walls will fall.

Wilhelm is going to use Insect Lord +2 and Hivemind Usurper +2 to direct an effective improvement of the lands within the walls. Create and efficient, fertile, and prosperous farmland around Minburg and turn it into a communal paradise for the bug-people and their minor cousins that they work with.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg Exclusion Zone

One notable thing of the people's transformation is their capacity to survive in the Gindarr, which was once an inhospitable, cruel, and dangerous place to mankind. With the insects that once turned the place into a hellish, dangerous place now alongside them as less-thinking cousins, the people are now not only capable of living in such a place, but they are able to thrive.

Wilhelm utilizes his wings to leave the walled area easily, and after a short flight lands just short of the jungle treeline. He presses his thumb into the ground, urging one thing from the jungle itself, "Grow..."

Using Hive Mind Usurper +2, Insect Lord +2, and Earth +2 to urge the Gindarr jungle as a whole biome to expand outward. Divinity will play in by turning against nature in this case: Rocky outcroppings that may have once stopped the jungle will crumble to soil, infertile patches that did the same will become more fertile, and the insect life that still remains in the jungle will expand outward to occupy and environmentally balance out the growing jungle while tending to the plants.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

It was apparent that verbal communication with those outside of Minburg was no longer of any use, though introducing them to communication through speed of thought may be able to create bridges instead of walls. If there is manipulation done on their minds, he is going to break it and return them to their natural state of mind. If there is simple misunderstanding, communication could lived the foggy veil that isolated Minburg from the rest of the country. There is one thing that Wilhelm knew everyone in Arandia happened to do, and he had the means of dispersal for his plan.

He sits down with a handful of dirt, churning it with his hands, and pauses to listen to it once, twice, three times. His pauses to listen shorten each time as he continues to work it through his fingers. His bees gather about him, humming and thrumming their simple song, before they begin lowering themselves down into the dirt to thrash and wiggle about in it. After taking on a load they lift off into the air to move on to other pastures and fields where the crops will be covered.

Creating some dirt that is sensitive to the hive mind, and using bees to spread it into surrounding village's food supplies. I'm going to be communicating with them to try to soothe their fears and/or break any divine tampering with my own powers. Using Hive Mind Usurper +2, Earth +2, and Insect Lord +2 to create, disperse, and exploit.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

He felt something tinge in his mind, a cheer of joy. A tingle in his fingers and toes. The feeling of others around him, and the world came back from black.

And shortly following all this an immense hunger. There were so many more mouths to feed in the community, and though their methods were impeccable there was certainly room for improvement. He sat in the middle of his old field, the one where his ants and bees orchestrated their first cooperation. Golden wheat wobbled lazily in the wind as he dug one of his clawed hands down into the ground, scooping it and feeling it through his chitined appendages.

It was the same even after his change, and it was something wonderful that could never be taken from him. A worm wriggled its way from the soil in his hand, and as he watched it divine inspiration struck. He began to focus upon the critter...

Wilhelm is going to make some earthworms that function as cattle and farmers all at once! These super worms will rotate the earth, bringing all the deep nutrients back up to the surface and will also NEVER STOP GROWING so as to be goodly sized edible cattle! Hopefully they'll also have a mind that can be communicated with at the same level that a person may be able to communicate with a cow. Using ALL THE DIVINE TRAITS +6 to do this.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg Exclusion Zone

The worms are in his head now, mumbling their wormy thoughts. It is something unusual for Wilhelm, and the fact that they were becoming smarter and smarter was rather disconcerting. How could he rightly tell his people to slaughter and consume something that shared their thoughts? Inhumane would be the wrong word, as he and his people were anything except for human. Ethics do not change when a man puts on a carapace and a pair of wings.

Wilhelm halts the order to cultivate the worms, and instead has his herders bring them together attempting to have them reach a level of intelligence capable of communication. His fellow Minburgians work for days to do the task, before tinges of functional thought tickle them. Foreign, odd, and alien, but cognizant thoughts all the same.

They had to be taken care of just like the rest of Minburg, and so they would be.

Using Earth +2, Hive Mind +2, Insect Lord +2 to partition off fields that the worms can rotate the earth and feed off of, and after the harvest these fields will be rotated. It's like crop rotation except it will keep everyone, including the worms, fed, and will keep the earth fertile!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - Minburg

What many city-dwellers could never realize is that the life-blood of the city is the farm, and Wilhelm had spent his entire mortal life planting that healthily beating heart in the midst of the community. Even with his mind and body expanding beyond what was his mortal coil, he could still feel that same pride that he held in the township.

His lapses in memory were worrying. A flash of inspiration followed by lucid dreams of the reality around him- It was clear that he was no longer capable of leading his people in their day to day lives. Wilhelm announces to the people as they work, "Minburg, we are of the same soil. There are those of you who have lived here since the day you were born, and those of you who joined us from far off places, yet still found this place to be as much a home as the rest of us- You have looked up to me for the past bit of time in this surprising event that has brought us all closer as a community than we ever have been.

I will be clear. I do not know if I am fading, gaining in longevity, or what is happening to me. It is a state of dementia where I only remember days of the month before I am in another day at another time. I am no longer capable of rightfully leading you- What sort of leader can give his people only a fraction of his attention, after all?"

Wilhelm mentally clammed up. Perhaps his old age was catching up with him even in this youth?

"So you must lead yourselves as a collective, to come together as individuals and move as a whole. From what little I have learned of the world outside, it has changed as much as we have. It may have become a very dark place from what it once was. And so it is that we Minburgians must become a light of prosperity and friendship in these dark times, and that we must band together with others to spread this prosperity.

Minburg has always been proactive, and we must continue to be."

Wilhelm tittered to himself, and then shot off into the sky on his translucent wings.

Establishing the Minburg Collective, the local force of aggressive prosperity. They're going to aggressively assist the surrounding communities, particularly the ones that marched on them before, to help them with their fields and farms. They'll also bring surplus humanitarian aid to any communities in dire need. Going to be using Insect Lord +2 and Hivemind Usurper +2 to inspire this escapade.

MEANWHILE Wilhelm himself is going to shoot off in some random direction.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Wilhelm - The Beach

The sea spray and warm wind hit Wilhelm in the face, and no one was out to kill him. While his people worked he had some time to simply appreciate the beach. He kicks back in the sand to relax, simply watching the waves move in and out.

If only he could bring such serenity back to Arandia.

I TAKE A BEACH VACATION.

• Locked thread