Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Rooftop Perch, Taelos

Octagon sat upon his rooftop perch, staring somewhat blankly into the space that the spider and her tiny web occupied. Had he lost it? Was this the beginning of the end, the first crack that would herald madness? Surely the fact that he was questioning himself meant he was still sane. Right? Right.

The merchant lord briefly forgotten as he sought to unravel this rather perplexing mystery set before him. Spiders don't talk.

"Did... did you just speak to me, or am I going mad?"

Octagon, the Spymaster

Birthplace
Taelos, Trade Capital of the World.

Backstory
Very little is known about the man called Octagon, least of all his real name. What is known is that he was born poor, and lost his parents to the Weeping Death (plague) at an early age. Living on the streets, Octagon became adept at going unnoticed: skulking, hiding, climbing. For many years, he lived as a pickpocket and a sneak-thief. Cutting purses and climbing through unlocked windows put food in his belly, but the constant threat of a run-in with the local Thieves' Guild meant a life of constant paranoia and fear. It was not until Octagon stumbled across a most unlikely treasure—a letter revealing a nobleman's affair—that he began to understand what was truly valuable; secrets. It was then that Octagon began to cultivate his contacts, learning whatever he could, and selling it to the highest bidder. Information was the only truly valuable thing. Gold was merely a means to an end. Every secret is worth something, and some secrets are worth everything.

-Mortal Qualities-

Espionage +4
Climbing, jumping, running, stealing, stabbing, spying. The best spies can do a bit of everything, and Octagon is certainly one of the best.

Discretion +4
Secrets and shadows. The better part of valor. Octagon well knows when to be quiet, when to be hidden, and when to be gone.

Poisoning +2
A blade is messy, a blade is loud, a blade is bold. Poison is a far more practical weapon, as far as Octagon is concerned. Silent, subtle, and swift. Or slow, if one prefers. A versatile tool for a versatile man.

-Divine Qualities-

Supernatural Power: Spider Whisperer +2
He can talk to and understand spiders, and have them to do things. Things like spying. It's kind of creepy.

-Foible-
Non-Combatant -2
If he's done everything right, he shouldn't need to lift a finger at all.

Personality/Core Values
Octagon is, naturally, a very secretive person. Thus he values secrets above all things. He does not seek overt power, but prefers to pull strings from behind the scenes. Nothing is beneath him, if it serves a purpose. Pride will just get a man killed.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Rooftop Perch, Taelos

Octagon half-smirked, half-smiled at the small spider. "Alright, you cryptic bastard, have it your way."

It wasn't long before the Merchant Lord was in his room, while Octagon watched from afar, crouched in the darkness and the shadows of the night. The hour was approaching. He would need to do this quickly and quietly. While not an assassin by preference, he was as much a keeper of secrets as he was a purveyor of them. A job is a job.

A job that needed doing.

Espionage [+4] to climb into the Lord's chambers, smother him with a pillow, and climb back out, plus Discretion [+4] to do so quietly. I'll slit his throat, however, if it's the more prudent thing to do.

Feel free to then fast-forward to the next morning, so that I am in the same time frame as everyone elseish.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 20, 2012

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Running Away, Taelos

Octagon groaned, internally. You have got to be loving kidding me.

With no time to ponder his terrible luck, Octagon sprang from the bed and made a dash for the window, exiting as quickly and smoothly as possible. His client was going to be displeased. But that's a problem for later.

Espionage +4 to exit the building the way I came in, or make a flying leap onto the adjacent roof, and Discretion +4 to avoid any guards or nosy fucks who come looking for the would-be assassin.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - His Secret Lair, Taelos

Octagon makes his way back to his 'lair', so to speak. An abandoned 2-story water-front building, the stairs to the second floor had been destroyed in some accident or another. But this didn't bother Octagon in the slightest, who always used the rooftop entrance. Once there, he paced in annoyance, considering his options. The Merchant would be on guard, which would make things difficult. No more games, then. Poison delivered via crossbow bolt, or some other means, was called for.

He would just need find the opportunity to strike.

Going home, and readying my crossbow and poisons for action. Then I'll be looking for an opportunity to shoot the man. Ideally in the dark.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon jerks a bit, startled by the voice once more. He turns to glare at the corner the spider currently resides in.

"Chatty bunch, aren't you? One of your buddies broke my concentration while I was on the job. Whole thing went south. Which is why I'm getting ready to shoot someone."

He pauses a moment, before giving the spider an odd glance.

"The question is, can you be of any use?"

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

<Rhjamiz> Octagon takes a moment to ponder, thrumming the crossbow string like the world's cheapest mandolin. "Could you... I don't know, get one of your ultra-venomous buddies to bite him and kill him?"
<Nenji> "Oh my, I could beg them to but I have no power over them. They are of far more noble blood than I. You would have better luck asking them yourself." The spider replies in its dry voice, but there is a touch of some concern to its dry humour. Apparently it may not be joking about spider nobility.
<Rhjamiz> Octagon mms, and thinks a moment. Far-off thoughts. "More noble? How does spider nobility... work?"
<Nenji> "How venemous you are of course. The ability to kill quickly with a single bite is the only worthwhile noble trait."
<Rhjamiz> "True enough, true enough. You're right about that, I'll wager. So. How does one address spider nobility?"
<Rhjamiz> Octagon ahs. "And where do humans stand in this eight-legged court, per se?"
<Nenji> "How venemous is your bite?" The spider asks with smugness in its voice.
<Rhjamiz> Octagon ahs. "Hmm. That could prove to be a small snag. Does manufactured poison count?"
<Nenji> "No. Although I imagine the ability to step on them will give you bargaining power, if not actual social status."
<Rhjamiz> "True enough. Do they have any particular title? Do you?"
<Nenji> "That depends on how they feel. I have many, but none I feel like using at the moment."
<Nenji> "Of course, my paltry amount of titles is truly insignificant compared to those the nobility have."
<Rhjamiz> "Alright. Duly noted. Any proper method of approach I should know about?"
<Nenji> "You're the first one to talk to spiders that I know of. Try being polite? Other than that you're breaking new ground here. Make a name for yourself, the longer the better."
<Nenji> The spider is enjoying this far too much.
<Nenji> It is official, spiders are arseholes.
<Rhjamiz> Octagon thumbs the crossbow string. "Know any nobility, or one who can point the way?"
<Nenji> "Some human keeps a few. Not sure what for, but you might be able to bargain their freedom for a service."
<Rhjamiz> Octagon ahs. "That I can do. Does this human have a name?"
<Nenji> "I would expect so. I do not know it. I make a point not to go near that part of town."
<Rhjamiz> "Which part of town?"
<Nenji> "It is the part of town where the humans that think they are important are."
<Rhjamiz> Octagon mutters. "Wonderful." He ponders a moment. "Thank you for the information."
<Nenji> "Don't worry, I'll collect the debt some day."
<Nenji> Apparently now Ocatagon is endebted to a spider. At the very least, you learn that it's bad to underestimate them.
<Rhjamiz> "Lovely."

Octagon sighs. He puts the crossbow away for the time being. It's to see a spider about a man. Who has a spider.

Heading to the Noble/Merchant district? Whichever it's called. Discretion +4 and Spider Whisperer +2 to go around inquiring with spiders in the area about who it is who has the spider nobility, and to do it discretely.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 15, 2012

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon decides it will need to wait until tomorrow. He's exhausted, and he'd rather be fresh for what needs doing. He returns to his lair to rest and revitalize. Tomorrow is a busy day. Er, night.

~time passes~

Bright and early, so to speak, Octagon sets out to the Rich District to determine just who owns those spiders!

Going to sleep until the next night!

THEN

Going to the Rich District! Espionage +4 (for asking questions!) and Discrete +4 (for showing discretion!) to ask around about who I might want to see if I wanted to see some truly amazing and deadly spiders.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

After equipping himself with the necessary tools, Octagon crept out into the night. Simply purchasing the spider would be far too conspicuous when a man would die days later of spiderbite. Someone would know. Someone always knows. Instead, he opts to break into the eccentric merchant's deadly menagerie, and perform a little jailbreak. Heh. "Little" jailbreak.

Sneaking into the Deadliest Zoo so I can get the Spider Nobility! Espionage +4 (for breaking in) and Discrete +4 (for doing it without getting caught!). I swear to god if I fail this roll, so help me... I won't be held responsible for what I do! :argh:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - The Deadliest Zoo, Taelos

Spider Queen posted:

Octagon: Octagon crouches in the darkness. This was going to be cutting it close. "I can hear you, spider. You are the one I came here for, but I need to be sure you are the one I seek. Identify yourself."

Spider Queen: "Well isn't this fascinating. I am She who waits deadly in the Shadows with a bite that will fell a Steed, Venom Mistress of the glass zoo of the human that dwells in these lands, The..." The list goes on and on. You were warned that royalty had many names and it seems that she has chosen to use them all in response to your question. It is possibly a way of getting back at you for being rude.

Octagon: Octagon is, at least, relieved to know that he wasn't being taken for a fool when told about Spider Nobility. Yikes. "Venom Mistress, then, for brevity's sake. I'm here to grant you freedom. There may be some jostling. In exchange I'll require a small task from you."

Spider Queen: "Freedom? What a novelty. Most spiders spend their lives in a single place, transient human notions such as freedom really have little meaning to us. Perhaps you could offer something else?"

Octagon: Octagon makes an annoyed face. "I'd prefer not to threaten you, but I require your services. If there is something you want, speak now. I'll be happy to negotiate terms, but not here."

Spider Queen: "Now you threaten me, truly humans are a barbaric species." The spider says with a chuckle and pauses for a moment. "I tell you what, let's play a game and I'll consider your request."

Octagon: "Go on."

Spider Queen: "I will live with you for the next few days. You are not to remove me from your body, save for this one request, if you displease me I will kiss you."

Octagon: Octagon opens his mouth. And then closes it again. Spiders are weird. "Acceptable." With only minor trepidation, Octagon moves to the jar where the Venom Mistress is kept. Carefully he unscrews the lid. "Your chariot awaits, Madam."

Spider Queen: There is a tickling on your hand as the creature walks up onto your hand. "The guards will be here shortly, I do suggest you leave quickly if you wish to avoid their questions."

Octagon: Octagon bites back a comment, before nodding to himself in agreement. "Time to go."

Sneaking OUT of the Deadliest Zoo, Spider Nobility in tow. Espionage +4 (for breaking out) and Discrete +4 (for doing it without getting caught!).

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - The Deadliest Zoo, Taelos

Octagon does not take any time to ponder a spider's curious knowledge of the feudal system. Instead, he makes his way back to the home of his original assignment, explaining along the way. "There is a man I would like you to kill. A simple 'kiss', and that is all. I'd slit his throat myself, but I'm afraid they are already on their guard, and would be expecting me. I doubt very much they will be expecting you."

Heading over to The Target's Home. I need to see what's up over there before I do anything.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - The Target's Home, Taelos

Octagon pauses as that horrible feeling washes over him. He gives it a moment to pass. "You didn't feel that? Something... in the west. Nevermind, it's gone. Mostly." He shakes his head.

In very little time at all, Octagon is back at the Merchant's Manor. Slipping in through a side entrance was easy enough. Despite the no-doubt increased security, the Merchant could not afford to have men at every entrance and every window at all hours of the day and night. Shifts changed, patrols must be kept. This meant windows of opportunity, some literal, for those like him. His objective was the Merchant's bedchambers once more. The nook above the bed rest, out of sight and out of mind (and most importantly, out from under foot) would be the perfect place for Miss Spider. From there she could descend and bite at her leisure, once the target was asleep. Octagon, on the other hand, would likely be unable to linger long. He'd need to watch from afar.

Espionage [+4]: To Break into the Target's House. Again.

Discretion [+4]: To do so sneaky-like, without being caught, and plant Miss Spider.

Spider Whisperer [+2]: Because if ever there was a time when my Divine Trait would count, it's probably now.

VENGENCE :argh:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - The Target's Home, Taelos

Octagon watches from an adjacent rooftop, probably. With all the guards making a ruckus in the late Merchant's room, he could do little but wait. Attempting to swoop in would be complete folly. Instead, he would patiently watch until there was an opening. How droll.

I am going to wait until there is an opening (as in, everyone leaves the room to do whatever) before swooping in to retrieve the spider and skidaddle, using Espionage [+4] and Discretion [+4].

Leg it!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Taeless, Taelos - Hideout

Octagon finally makes it back to his modest hideaway, and practically collapses into his comfortable chair. That was far too much running around and other such nonsense for one night. He pours himself a goblet of wine, and takes a long swallow. He had earned a reprieve.

quote:

Octagon: "So, Miss Spider. Now that we have no pressing business to attend to, I'd be curious to know why you want to ride in my shirt for an undetermined amount of time. That seems a curious request, especially considering what you gave in exchange. I doubt it was on a whim."

Spider: "Because you move about a lot. I can see new places. Also it's warm and cozy in here and there's lots of flesh to bite if you become especially...vexatious."

Octagon: "So I'm to be your mobile carriage, and not much more, hmm? That sounds... surprisingly unremarkable."

Spider: "Our webs may be complex and a lot of work to spin, but their purpose is really very simple. Simplicity is complexity and complexity is simplicity."

Octagon took another swallow of wine. He was going to need it. "Anything in particular you wish me to avoid, beyond accidental crushing?"

Spider: "Water would be good. I'm not a good swimmer."

Octagon: "Duly noted."

Octagon finished off the goblet of wine afterward. He wasn't much inclined to the water, himself, so he foresaw few problems there. Speaking of webs, he had a few of his own that needed tending...

Once I am done talking to the spider, I am going to put my ear to the ground, metaphorically speaking, and listen for any snippet of information that might interest me. A job, a rumor, some bit of gossip about the west, or absolutely nothing at all. Espionage [+4]. Oh, also, where am I meant to go to get paid for all this trouble I went to?

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 5, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Taeless, Taelos - Hideout

During the next few days, Octagon makes a point to collect his payment from his previous employer. He does not reveal the spider's involvement, merely stating that he used 'poison' to get the job down. Gold is exchanged, and they part ways. He prefers information to gold, but gold buys food and provisions, so gold will do.

-----

Over the next few days, Octagon keeps in touch with his small group of contacts, paying them for each tidbit of information they bring him. When the rumor of a noble seeking an exotic poison reaches his ears, he pays the man a midnight visit. Slipping into the nobleman's bedchambers in the middle of the night, Octagon makes himself comfortable in a nearby chair. He doesn't have long to wait before the noble himself arrives, seeking to retire for the evening. The presence of Octagon's cloaked figure reclining in one of his chairs no doubt startles him, and Octagon puts a gloved finger against his own lips to indicate silence. The nobleman speaks in a hushed whisper.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't call my men."

"That would be most unfortunate, Mer Havash, because I am here to solve a problem. It has come to my attention that you are looking for a... very special something from Val Aman. Yes?"

"Yes. How did you get in here? Who are you?"

"No one important. Suffice it to say that I am a man who can help. It will take time. If it were easy to find, you would not need me in the first place. I'll expect payment on delivery. Agreed?"

"Yes, yes, of course. What assurances do I have?"

"None. I cannot promise success for obvious reasons. If you're worried I'm going to con you, feel free to bring a friend you won't miss. If you are not satisfied with the results, no need to pay. Deal?"

"Fine, fine. You... know where to find me, I suppose."

Octagon stands, giving the nobleman a somewhat curt and mocking bow. "Indeed. Good night, Mer Havash. I'll see myself out."

-----

Back at his Hideaway, Octagon begins packing supplies for his journey to Val Aman, making sure to bring several knives and his pair of crossbows. Also included are a spare change of clothes and enough gold to bribe whoever might require bribing. The absence of his spiderfriend puzzles him briefly, until Miss Spider explains.

"Ah. A pity. He was the first spider I spoke to."

Once packed, and the room sufficiently disguised to properly resembled abandoned property, Octagon sets out from Taelos, northeast toward Val Aman. It should be easy enough to catch a ride with a caravan heading that direction. Pay them enough, they won't ask too many questions.

Heading to Val Aman in search of deadly deadly poisons. I'll be using Discretion [+4] as I travel to avoid uncomfortable questions and any other unwanted, hostile attention. My knowledge of Poison [+2] should help point me in the right direction. Hope Miss Spider packed a lunch.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Val Aman, Val Setin

Octagon spends his time on the barge fishing or merely resting. The mugginess did him no favors. Upon the listening to the spider's musing, Octagon raises an eyebrow in curiosity. "Are you so short-lived? If I'm to thank for your continued good health, I don't recommend straying far."

Once in Val Setin, Octagon is besieged by choice. Keeping in mind his clients specifications, Octagon determines it would be best to meet with each of these alchemists for a demonstration. He makes a note to wear gloves, and accept no food or drink that he did not prepare himself. Hip flasks and trail rations for the foreseeable future, how lovely.

Discretely [+4] meeting with each Poisoner [+2] in turn for a demonstration of their product. I will then purchase whichever I feel best meets my client's demands. I don't know if this even requires a roll, but just incase, there it is! I only trust these assholes as far as a crossbow bolt flies. I am strictly business.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon makes a note of this alchemist's name, and shop. He'll have to return here another time, to refil his private stocks. He pays the man for the poison and the pair of antidotes, including a little extra in order to ensure a healthy business relationship. He's not quite sure what to make of the Spider Noble's request, but it's probably best he waits until he's somewhere less public. It wouldn't do to suffer a siezure or black out in the middle of the street.

But first, he had some things to take care of. Primarily, the first thing any good spy does when he arrives in a new city; establish contacts. Nothing a bit of listening and glad-handing shouldn't take care of.

Once that is over and done with, he procures a reasonably price but quite private room at the local inn, with no questions. Once he's alone with the spider noble, he pulls from his satchel the Recluse Venom antidote. Unstoppering the vial, and inhales the bitter scent and makes a face. "I'd ask you what you intend, but I suspect I would only be annoyed by your coy non-answer. And you'd bite me anyway." He gives the spider a look. He can already anticipate her wry response. Smart-rear end.

He swallows the contents of the vial in one sip, grimacing. "Why do the antidotes always taste awful?"

Using Discretion [+4] and Espionage [+4] to establish some contacts within Val Setin; people whom he can turn to for information on the cheap, or who are willing to look the other way for coin, whichever direction that may be.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 22, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon gets a look of blank shock as he stares at the scene that has unfolded before him. He looks between the Spider... Lady?, the bodies, the web, his own body, the Spider Lady again... By the end, he's clutching his own head with a wide-eyed stare one might expect to find on someone who has completely snapped. It takes him several minutes before he manages to form sentences again.

"How...? When? Did you? This...!"

But it's several minutes more before he manages to form anything resembling a clear and coherent question, as opposed to a sort of babbling.

"Ok... we need to... leave. As soon as it's dark. We can't... stay here. We take the bodies with us. We can't leave anything behind... where is my satchel?"

Octagon's body seems operate on instinct, prying one of the bodies from the wall and securing it to his abdomen with a bit of silk. The way this comes so naturally to him disturbs him on some level, but all he can think about is damage control. The webbing will have to stay, there's no cleaning all that up. Let them wonder where the tennants of this room disappeared to, if anyone bothers to care.

It's late into the evening by the time Octagon and his eight-legged companion emerge from the room, each one carrying a body on their backs. They'll find somewhere quiet to dump them, once they've... no. Musn't think about that. Safety is paramount. He needed to find somewhere dark. Somewhere secure...

I'm going to try to find somewhere Discrete [+4] suitable to hide out and establish a... lair? Nest? Sure. Somewhere a Spider Lord [+2] (on a budget) might live. Criteria include: Defensible, private, only occasionally trafficked. Perhaps there is an old Undercity beneath the slums, or smuggler's tunnels we can appropriate for ourselves.

For my own reference:

quote:

Octagon, the Spider Lord

I'll find a GOOD picture, just you wait.

Mundane:
Espionage [+4]
Discretion [+4]
Poisoning [+2]

Divine:
Spider Lord [+2]
Toxins [+2]

Foible:
Man-Eater [-2]

Quirks:
Monstrous [+0]

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 26, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon shoves the now-desiccated bodies into an alcove. Appropriate, considering this was their intended purpose. Some part of him knew that, before long, these catacombs would be brimming with the dead, if he didn't find somewhere else to dispose of his... left-overs. The thought of eating another human being became less strange with each passing hour. Soon, he was forgetting what it was to be human. It was getting hard to think of them as anything but... animals. Exceptionally clever prey.

To avoid dwelling on the subject of his new-found appetite, Octagon sets to work converting the catacombs into a proper lair. It isn't long before the pair of spider-creatures have covered the catacombs in a layer of sensitive, sticky webbing. The ease with which he performed this task was not something he cared to dwell on either, for the moment.

Once this was accomplished, Octagon decided that he was going to need some information. Normally, he'd have merely asked around or put some coin into the right people's hands. But he no longer had time for the Right People. Or indeed, the freedom to move about without causing a panic. So instead he would need to creep in the shadows. He would need to snare someone important... or at least, someone who would be sure to know something. People go missing all the time, after all. Even the important ones. A trip into the Cathedral above, during one of the darker, quiet hours... perhaps he might find some poor soul, lingering about, that he might ply for information.

Using my Spider Lord [+2] senses/strength/WEBS! and temporary paralytic Toxins [+2] to capture me an important cleric/priest/minister/bishop and dragging them down into my lair for interrogation. Someone with a bit of clout, or can at least point the way to said someone. Not eating them. Yet.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Val Aman, Val Setin, Crypts

A Terrified Dude posted:

Octagon: "Stop your screaming."

This does little to quell the screaming, given your inhuman voice.

Octagon rolls his eyes and groans. drat humans. "Stop your screaming, and I'll consider letting you live. Otherwise, I'll eat you here and now."

Elkud: "E-e-e-eat me? Wh-what are you?" The priest managers to stammer amidst his screaming and blubbering

Octagon: "That is... not your concern. Answer my questions and I might let you go. What is your name, and what god does this city worship?"

Elkud: "I am...Elkud. Lay servant of Gertrund the White."

Octagon: "And does your church hold political sway in the city?"

Elkud: "I...I don't know. The Priests all have their own plots and never tell us."

Octagon: "Who, and where, is the head of your order?"

Elkud: "D-d-deacon Aralon."

Octagon: "Do you fear death?"

Elkud: "I...I...yes. Are you going to...kill me?"

Elkud looks like he's about to cry again

Octagon: "That depends. Serve me, and you will live. Your task is simple. Speak not a word of this to anyone. Await orders. Is this too difficult...?"

Elkud: "Haha. Who would believe me if I did?" He asks with a nervous little shriek.

Octagon: "Who, indeed. Remember that, should you get the urge to confess."

Octagon furrowed his brow. This priest was less useful than he had imagined. Though, in retrospect, he wasn't quite sure what he had expected from the sniveling coward. No matter. He and his companion had work to do. It was time to spread his influence throughout this city...

I will be spending this time-skip building myself a small army of minions. Spider-Lord [+2] and Toxins [+2] to create spidery, venomous minions, both of pure stock and of... converted humans (who will be kidnapped or taken willingly if some poor bastard somehow comes looking for me). Eggs for everyone. (How creepy).

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon is quite pleased with the progress made so far. A fine group of spidery minions to do his bidding. And do it they shall, for he has further designs upon the city of Val Setin. Requiring no sleep, feeding on the vagrants and drifters brought to him by his loyal spiders, Octagon spends his time mass-producing exorbitant amounts of the Transformative Toxin. It is spun up in a number of silken sacs, ready to be distributed far and wide by his spidery minions.

Time to prepare to poison the well. Spider-Lord [+2] and Toxins [+2] to have my spidery minions aid me in the production and storage of the Transformative Toxin, configured for an ingestion vector. A trigger-toxin is required, without which the subject will eventually get sick and die.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 2, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon calls upon the favor Elkud promised so long ago. The priest is, of course, none-too-pleased with getting his marker called in, finding himself back in the catacombs.

"Welcome home, Elkud. I trust you are well? Good, good. I have a task for you. You shall be my ambassador, for I have business with the men and women of the city above. A sickness looms over your city. But do not fret, for I have the cure. I needs speak with a particular alchemist, and then a few more. We will need them to distribute the cure. As I'm sure you realize, I cannot very well ask them to do so directly! Wouldn't want to cause a panic, after all..."

I am calling upon Elkud to act as an emmissary for me to alchemists and convince them to go along with my scheme and help distribute the trigger toxin. First stop is going to be the guy who sold me the poisons! Elkud better be a smooth talker, or he's lunch.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 17, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The sickening pain and dizziness gave octagon pause as he sat within the comforting darkness. Was he dying? Was it someone he ate? No, it was something else. Something terribly wrong in the world. For his part, Octagon hoped to avoid whatever it was that was warping reality so. It must be horridly unpleasant in person.

As the night drew on and Elkud managed to successfully charm his way into the alchemist's good graces, Octagon was quite pleased with his success. And he would be to tell him so! The Spider Lord was busy doing spider-things in the Crypts by the time Elkud made it back, experimenting with silk and spiders alike while he spoke with his favorite (only) human lackey. He was much faster than any mortal man, after all.

"You have performed admirably, Elkud. You have one more task to complete. I shall supply you with the counter-agent to this sickness. One night's bed-rest shall be required to purge the illness from the stricken, for this is powerful, potent stuff and will not be pleasant. The cure is usually worse than the disease, after all. Thus, it is important that you not take it until you are done tending to the city, as it will leave you weakened for the day. Except in an emergency, of course. I trust you can accomplish this. Succeed, and I shall grant you a favor in kind. A reasonable one, of course."

I am using Toxin [+2] to produce the Trigger Agent in quantity, aided by Spider-Lord [+2] as the toxin will be remaking people in my image; that of spider-people, of course. The transformation should take place during the night as they sleep, as it was done to me! And having Elkud distribute it to the Alchemist(s) with instructions. Once this is successful, on to Stage 2!

Edit: Edited to include a reaction to reality rip, which I forgot about. WHOOPS. Also hey, look, a halfway decent spider picture:

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 21, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Spider Lord was, on some level, a bit perturbed by the occasional spiderdog and spidercat. That's more than a little bizarre, really. Were they administered the antidote by anxious owners? So strange. Perhaps they could be of some use in some way, but for the moment they were of little concern. More important were his emerging children, who would need guidance. And so he dispatched his minions to gather newly-reborn at the Palace, where he would address them in person. They had questions, no doubt. But first, he would need to visit a very special friend...

Octagon stared down at the cocoon containing Elkud's malleable form. He could feel the potential waiting within that silken sack, waiting for... what? His touch? Yes, just so. The viscous soup that is Elkud's body responded to the Spider Lord's will and whim. Octagon began to mold Elkud into a most useful tool, and realized this was the start of something... special. A world of endless possibility was beginning to unfold.

"Awaken, my child, and be reborn as something greater than you were. You, who made all this possible. You shall be my emissary, the first of many. Emerge from your slumber, and join your new family."

LATER, AT THE PALACE...

Octagon made himself at home in the Great Hall of the Palace, perched upon, or perhaps above, the throne. The room was, by now, full of his newly-created hybrids. His children. They filled the Hall, clung to the ceilings and walls. Fighting was, of course, very strongly "discouraged" by his loyal minions. From his vantage point, his children appeared to be without number. With the Queen at his side, Octagon addressed the gathered spiders.

"Many of you are, no doubt, wondering just what has transpired to bring such... miraculous change to this city. I have gathered you here so that you might understand. Know that I am your Father, for it was by my Will and my Power that you have been freed of that frail, weak body you once inhabited. Freed of those frail... delicious creatures who would claim to rule over you. I have given you power and, in so doing, created a new race of people. A better race. Humans may call us 'monsters', but what is the opinion of an insect to us?

"This city... is now yours. Its lands, its forests, are yours to do with what you will. Go forth, be fruitful and multiply."

VICTORY! :toot:

I am completing Elkud's transformation. Using Spider-Lord [+2] and Transformation [+2]. I am going to enhance Elkud's natural Spying tendencies and abilities, and turn him into a Human-Mimic Spider. He will be able to pass as human, should he choose, while actually being a spider-person, with all the benefits that provides.

Then I am gathering everyone and telling them what's up. I'm not trying to "do" anything so no roll is needed, I imagine. I just hope these dopes don't start a big fight. That would be silly!

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 23, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon nods to Elkud. "I am pleased to see you are eager to serve. Your task will be to oversee production of more Transformative Toxin and prepare the next city for conversion. Spread my word. I would also like news on just how much the outside world is aware of what has happened here. The smaller villages will be left as a food source for the time being. I'll create and assign additional operatives to you, to use as you see fit. I am granting you broad agency to do what you think best, but do not take any unnecessary risks; you are more important to me alive."

-----Later-----

Octagon arrives at the church where the corpses of three Arrani smolder. Well, that's drat peculiar. But there was something else... something here.

A Conversation posted:

<Rhjamiz> Octagon sort of turns in place as he surveys the church, scanning high and low for the presence he's not felt since... well, ever. The motion of his multitude of legs is probably somewhat unsettling for mere humans to witness. "I can feel you... come out, come out..."

<epicurius> Octagon sees a figure come out of the shadows. An old man in robes and a thin beard. An easterner from Eisos by the looks of him. "Greetings, spider creature. I bid you welcome to this place."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon crosses his arms and peers down at the old man, head half-cocked. "Strictly speaking, the church belongs to me. And you are not one of mine. You're new. How did you get here?"

<epicurius> "Into this church? I walked. I had had a conversation with the priest of this place yesterday, and since then, have been wandering around the town. I happened to hear the speech you gave at the palace. Quite interesting. Might I say, you're a good speaker."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon raises an eyebrow. "And where is this priest now? Dead, I hope."

<epicurius> The old man raises an eyebrow. "We came to an understanding, and he went elsewhere. I hope that is not a problem."
<epicurius> "I am Beltheus, mighty Lord. And who do I have the honor of addressing?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon gives the priest a moments thought. "I am Octagon, the... Spider Lord." He pauses oddly. "But you are not merely Beltheus and nothing more, else either I or one of my children would be dining on your innards. Nor would I feel your presence as plainly as I do."

<epicurius> "Yes", Beltheus says. "This is unusual. I have never been in the presence of someone like myself before, although I have heard tell of others like us. Tell me, Spider Lord, were you once human until you encountered something...greater? Something that made you like unto a god?"

<Rhjamiz> The gears in Octagon's mind begin turning. Inaudibly. "I was once merely human, yes, before I became something more. And so you are another such being. I presume your gifts are more subtle."

<epicurius> Beltheus. . .ripples. The robes seem to fold into his skin, and the skin begins swelling. He begins to grow, so that he seems large, even in the vaulted cathedral. His teeth lengthen into fangs, and muscles begin to show on his arms, legs and chest, under a skin that has turned into a blotched red and black. From his back, giant wings sprout, looking as if a bat mated with a butterfly.
<epicurius> From his foreheard, horns grow, curling around like the horns of a ram, and his eyes become pinpricks of flame in the middle of darkness. "More subtle. Yes. More subtle. I like that."
<epicurius> "What is it you want, Lord Octagon? What do you desire?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon watches the transformation with suspicion. "That certainly inspires trust and confidence...," he chortles. "I desire what I desire, and nothing less. For the moment, that will remain my secret. Why do you ask?"

<epicurius> With a quick twist, Beltheus is back to being a robed man. "Merely that I hope we share interests. Common goals, or at least that it benefits us both to work together. There are those....curious about my activities. Individuals I believe share the same traits we do. They may prove troublesome."
<epicurius> "And I believe that they will prove troublesome to you as well."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon pinches the bridge of his nose in both thought and mild exasperration. "So you... fled? to my city, then. To avoid prying eyes. And now you may have brought them here." He sighs. "So, an alliance, then. Of mutual benefit." He peers down at the 'old man' in contemplation. "And what is it you desire?"

<epicurius> "I did not....flee. I travelled here to establish a place of safety so that if I had to flee, I could. And as for what I desire, I desire that these other individuals be dissuaded from their task"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon's brow creases in thought. "I see. Very well, you may stay here for the time being. Though my condition for the time being is that you do not interfere with or alter my children. They are mine. I am sure you can understand my position on this, yes?"

<epicurius> "If they attack me, I will defend myself. However, I will try not to kill them without cause."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon gives Bel a look. "Admirable, but not at all what I meant. As I think you well know. If we are to combine forces, it will be toward future endevors."

<epicurius> "Indeed"
<epicurius> "Most endeavors are future ones, I have found."

<Rhjamiz> "Indeed." Octagon nods. "As long as we understand one another."

<epicurius> "I hope we do. Do you plan to create a spider army to, what, take over the world?"

<Rhjamiz> "For the moment I merely intend to carve out my own part of it. Perhaps most of Val Aman. A nation for our kind. Beyond that... well, one step at a time. One must build a solid foundation, after all."

<epicurius> "Well, you know your business, I suppose."
<epicurius> "At any rate. I suppose you have things to do. Feel free to call on me if you need some help."

<Rhjamiz> "Perhaps I shall. And what do you hope to gain, besides an ally against those who seek you... what plans do they hope to disrupt?"

<epicurius> "Why, everyone needs friends." He smiles. "Lets just say that there are people who don't appreciate the generosity of others"

Octagon is hardly naive enough to believe that Beltheus merely wishes to be friends. But at the same time, surely Beltheus realizes that Octagon would be a formidable enemy. As is true of the reverse. And so the bargain is struck.

"Very well, then. A pact of mutual cooperation it is."

I name my people Arrani. The adjective shall be Arranian.

I am giving Elkud the following orders; help make more Transformation Toxin, pick a city and commence conversion. Spread the word of the Spider Lord. Send back news of the outside. General operations, basically. He's free to do as he deems necessary.

In the meantime, I am going to gather a small group of willing Arrani who wish to serve and turn them into Operatives (Mimic Spiders) and put them at the disposal of Elkud. Transformation [+2] and Spider-Lord [+2] should apply.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 1, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon did not reprimand Elkud for his inability to produce the toxin. One can hardly fault underlings for being less than god-like. "Right, of course. Proceed at your discretion, and keep me informed. I shall send you additional Operatives as they mature."

With Elkud on his way, he decided that he would need to check up on his other confidant. The curious sexual dimorphism did not bother him in the slightest. What is, is.

Down in the Catacombs... posted:

<Rhjamiz> Octagon hadn't heard any laconic comments from the Spider Queen in some time. Naturally, that made him curious just what was occupying her attention so. Which means paying her a visit.

<Nenji> After looking around Octagon found her in the catacombs, with a number of the less intelligent Arrani who were armed with picks and shovels.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon is amused at the sight of giant spiders wielding picks and shovels meant for human hands, but is tactful enough to hide this fact. "Hello, Darling. What are you up to down here? Expanding the tunnels?"

<Nenji> "Something like that. You weren't making much use of them so I decided to do something within them."
<Nenji> You notice there is a large clearing ahead.

<Rhjamiz> "You are welcome to them. If you'd like, I can alter a few of them so they are more capable and natural diggers." Octagon peers past the workers and into the clearing. What's all this, then?

<Nenji> "A surprise."

<Rhjamiz> Aha, there is that laconic wit. Still as unhelpful and uninformative as ever. "Very well, keep your secrets for the moment. I trust all shall be revealed when it is ready." He peers about at the work going on. "I'll create some burrowing Arrani for you. I'm sure they will be useful in many respects."
<Rhjamiz> "Anything else you require?"

<Nenji> "Stone. Probably great quantities of it."

<Rhjamiz> "Plenty to salvage from the city, I'll see it's done. I've sent my best to begin harvesting the nearby cities. Soon our numbers will swell even further."

<Nenji> "Don't get too excited dear, I wouldn't want to share my dinner."

<Rhjamiz> "True enough. I'll leave you to your work. Speaking of dinner..."

<Nenji> "Yes?"

<Rhjamiz> "Mm, just contemplating... something. A puzzle to work out. I'll let you know."
<Rhjamiz> Octagon then leaves, assuming the Spider Queen had nothing else for him.

<Nenji> She returns to her...mysterious work.

Emerging from the Catacombs, Octagon dispatches his minions to begin gathering stone from the abandoned buildings of the city, using whatever means they see fit to employ. The Spider Queen had need of great quantities for some secret project. In the meantime, he has some alterations to make to a few of the new recruits...

I am gathering up a group of Arrani in an attempt to transform them into Burrowing Arrani, incredibly adept at digging and tunneling through dirt and rock alike. Spider-Lord [+2] for a spider-form, and Transformation [+2] to mold their flesh to his will. Once they're done, they'll be put at the disposal of the Spider Queen.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 7, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

After much deliberation and contemplation, Octagon decided to create these new diggers in his own image. While there were... other forms perhaps more suited to the menial labor of carving tunnels through stone, he would not rob his children of their blessings so quickly. There were other... lesser creatures for this purpose. He would need to acquire them, and mold them, too. As soon as the new workers were ready, he sent them scurrying off to the Queen.

In the meantime, while he waited, Octagon began to tinker with new and exotic poisons. A sort that may be of great benefit to his new children...

I'm going to use the Divine Quality of Toxin [+2] and the Mortal Quality of Poisoning [+2] to engineer a new venom/counter-venom combination while I wait for things to come to fruition. It will be a combination of paralytic/preservative, rendering a victim helpless and alive for extremely long periods of time to ensure maximum freshness! They can also be "revived" with the counter-venom if their purpose isn't immediately dietary.

I'm fine with skipping ahead to the next major event in Val Setin, be it word from Elkud or whatever it is the Queen is cooking up.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 15, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

A visitor? Bizarre. Who would come upon one of his Arrani and then ask to speak with their leader? One way to find out.

At the Gate... posted:

<Rhjamiz> Octagon would like to clarify something with the guard first; "When you say that this woman is asking to speak with me, do you mean that she has asked for the leader of this city, or did she ask for me specifically?"

<Nenji> "When she saw us, she asked to see our master."

<Rhjamiz> "Ah, very well. Two men who are not men? Curious. Let us see what there is to see."
<Rhjamiz> Octagon then goes to the gates to speak with this girl.

<Nenji> She is wearing a strange red assortment of clothes which looks like a girl's impressions on what elegant clothes might look like.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon looks not nearly so elegant. He could probably do with a wardrobe upgrade. In any case, the Spider Lord peers down at the small girl and her curious companions, whatever they are. Were it not for the strange visitation of the one from the church, he might not be meeting with her at all. "I am the master of this land; to whom do I speak?"

<Nenji> "You may call me Red." She says with a somewhat unearthly smile.

<Rhjamiz> "Very fitting. And what brings you and your companions to this city?"

<Nenji> "Oh I'm not there, just my pets."

<Rhjamiz> "Uh-huh. Your pets?"

<Nenji> 'Red' gestures to the two men. They are wearing torn and unkempt clothes, don't really look up a lot and have strange collars made out of what appear to be brambles.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon glances between the two of them. "They seem well-behaved. What is their purpose here?"

<Nenji> "Hmm, I didn't want them hanging around. Wolves are nasty like that you know." She says as if you understood completely whatever she is talking about. "Also it meant that if people were naughty and attacked me they would die. I like to be a nice Queen, but it's a crime to attack the Queen and I was taught that laws are very important. Even my Rooster says
<Nenji> so."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon steeples his fingers in a moment's contemplation. "I see. Your... rooster is very wise. Although, I am afraid that for the time being, the city is closed to visitors. Renovations."

<Nenji> "Are spiders good at renovating?"

<Rhjamiz> "Quite good, yes."

<Nenji> "What happened to the people here? Where did all the spiders come from?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon stares at Red curiously. "Most of the became spiders."

<Nenji> "Really? That's odd. Where did you come from?"

<Rhjamiz> "Taelos. But I live here, now."

<Nenji> "Are there spider people in Taelos?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon shakes his head. "No. There are no spider people there."

<Nenji> "So you weren't a spider person before?"

<Rhjamiz> "No. Were you always a Queen?"

<Nenji> "Well I didn't think so, but apparently you have to be born into it so perhaps I was a princess."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon merely nods knowingly. "Perhaps. And what are Queen of? Does your land have a name?"

<Nenji> "Well, that's why I came here. But apparently the king is dead so I guess that makes me the Queen of Val Aman now."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon ahas. "I see. Well, that complicates things somewhat. While you are welcome to Val Aman itself, this city belongs to me."

<Nenji> "Okay." Red says as if this doesn't bother her in the slightest.
<Nenji> "If you have any people left you should let me check them for wolves though."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon raises an eyebrow. "Wolves, you say. How dangerous are these wolves?"

<Nenji> "They're sneaky. They get into people and cause trouble. They've been chasing me for a while but now they have to do what I say. But you can't trust a wolf." She says and there is a disturbingly hard and insane glint in her eyes at that comment.

<Rhjamiz> "Disturbing. Should I find any wolves, I shall have them sent to you for..." He glances at the collars. "... obedience training."

<Nenji> One of the men looks up and almost snarls at that comment. Then he looks surprised at what he has done, and looks down again.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon gives the 'wolf' a curious glance before peering down at Red once more. "Should I have message for your court in the future, where would I send it?"

<Nenji> "Oh send it to Val Heysus. If your messenger gets lost one of the treemen will help him."
<Nenji> "Do spider people have boys and girls?"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon nods. "We do, yes."

<Nenji> "Well then. Let's have a tea party." Red says with a smile and makes a gesture with her hand. Out of thin air a stool and a table hop down on to the ground. It is followed by a tea set and a plate of biscuits.
<Nenji> "I am not sure what a spider sits on." She says apologetically, waiting for Octagon to fill in the blank

<Rhjamiz> Octagon stared down at the tea set. This was beginning to get out of hand. With luck, it would not last much longer. It was clear that this... girl was, well, not like him. But certainly comprable. He crouched down in what might be a stand-in for sitting. "We crouch, really. This will do fine. Though I must return to my duties, soon. I am sure you understand."

<Nenji> "Then just one cup of tea and biscuit then." She says confidently and smiles as she seats herself on the cushioned stool

<Rhjamiz> "Very well," said Octagon as he peered down at the dainty tea set.

A 'pleasent' tea party ensues, much to Octagon's chagrin. It is over mercifully quickly, however, as a single cup of tea and one biscuit do not last long. Sadly, the food and drink are wasted on Octagon; his tastes are of a different sort.

Once the tea party was finished and Red was out of sight, Octagon turned to the nearby guard, nodding as he passed, "Inform the others; that girl is extremely dangerous and possibly insane. If she turns up again, under no circumstances should you provoke her." From there, Octagon eventually made his way to the Holding Pens, having been working on a solution to food problem.

At the Human Pens... posted:

<Nenji> Red was having a look around the pens. She seemed to jump over fences and the such that humans should not be able to.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon manages to hold in that exasperated sigh as he spots Red. "Any wolves hiding there?"

<Nenji> "No, I haven't spotted any. You seem to be all clear!" She says with a contented smile.
<Nenji> The people living in misery and squalor did not seem to bother her in the slightest.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon is once more pleasently surprised at the girl's uncaring demenor. "That is fortunate, indeed."

<Nenji> "Okay, we're going to go looking for more wolves now. Bye bye Mr. Spider man!"

<Rhjamiz> Octagon manages a bow of some sort. "Fare thee well."

Octagon watched as Red went her own way, where-ever that was, before turning his attention back upon the people. They were ill-suited for farming and livestock. Too willful. They would be rebellious, troublesome, and watched very carefully. But, as with all things, that could change. Who better to mold these pitiful wretches into something far more useful to the Arrani than he? Separating out a little more than half of the humans in the pens, he put them aside for further testing. The rest would be reshaped into an ideal breeding population of Arrani foodslaves. They would need a name, but for the moment, it didn't matter. The fear and terror of these captive humans made little impression upon the Spider Lord as he focused his Divine Will upon them, reaching out with his power...

I am separating out a group of people (a little under half the total number) of the humans to turn into breeding stock; Transformation [+2] is obvious. Toxins [+2] shall also be used. The changes are as follows;
  • Domestic Humans are to be very susceptible to Arrani venom. The merest scratch or spit or bite should easily and almost immediately incapacitate them.
  • Decrease in their average intelligence and memory.
  • Instill a natural docility and servility.
  • Greatly decrease gestation periods and physical maturation time.
  • Increase in number of offspring per pregnancy.
  • Lifespan of 25 years; for those 25ish years a gland very much like an appendix will have been producing and accumulating a toxin. At the end, it bursts, rendering the domestic human permanently comatose.
  • If possible, I will gift them with a proclivity toward gardening and farming.
  • They should breed true with regular humans; a human and... domesticated human pairing should produce domesticated humans. This should allow injection of new stock without the need for further transformation or micromanagement from me.
Basically, I am turning them into ideal farm stock and slaves; easily controlled, mostly self-maintaining, docile, and quick to breed. Cow People. Sheeple. Additionally, regardless of the original gender distribution of the group, the final result will be one ideal for getting the most out of a breeding population (whatever that is). If that means Robert becomes Roberta in the course of my alterations, well then too bad!

Their foodstuff comes next.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 17, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon furrowed his brow in a manner of speaking, staring at his new creations. Something wasn't quite right there. They would bear further watching, but otherwise they would have to do. If all went well, they would have a sizable food population and labor force for export, should any nation somehow wish to trade with the Arrani. But those were matters for another time. More importantly, what was he going to feed these louts? The Arrani weren't going to farm corn for them, that's for certain. They needed something... else. Something they could farm themselves. A simple fruit for a simple people.

The Spider Lord bent over and plucked a pair of seed pods from a local weed that grew near the pens. Weeds grew well enough without constant tending. This would make them a fine base for his own needs. He formed a fist around those pods, and once more brought forth his Divine Will...

I'll be renaming my city and country officially (with a big speech maybe) as soon as the ~time is right~

I am creating a new 'crop', called a Chuma plant. The fruits will be called chumas. It doesn't really need to be farmed since it will hopefully grow everywhere but farming it certainly doesn't hurt; Transformation [+2] is obvious. Toxins [+2] shall also be used. The changes are as follows;
  • Grows like a weed, requiring minimal sunlight and water but thriving when it has access lots of both.
  • Its fruits are nutritious enough to sustain humans without needing other foods.
  • It has an effect identical to marijuana. Eating it gets you stoned. Eating a lot of it gets you really loving stoned.
It's a fruit that gets you baked, but it's also all you really need, food-wise. Also it grows pretty much anywhere so even the dumbest of people will be able to cultivate it. Which is important if you're dumb and stoned all the time. I'll scatter one to the wind and another near the pens.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon had not heard from the Queen in some days, and decided to go and see just what was going on down below...

Down Below... posted:

<Rhjamiz> Octagon takes a moment from his 'busy' schedule to head down to the excavation site currently being run by the Queen. There was still the curious question of just what was being dug down here. "I trust the diggers I sent down are performing satisfactorily?"

<Nenji> "It's a little awkward watching them work. I have to avert my eyes from the indecency, some things are not meant to move like that." She replies.

<Rhjamiz> "Awkward but effective, I should hope. A small price for expediency." He peers down what he assumes is a tunnel, but who knows what it could be. "How does your... project progress?"

<Nenji> There is a large doorway there now, hewn from the rock. The manner of it would suit the Arrani more than a human.
<Nenji> "It shall take time I think. It would be easier without the annoyances."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon looks the doorway over curiously. "Still a secret?"

<Nenji> "Only if you can't figure it out." She says coyly.

<Rhjamiz> "Hardly sporting. So little to go off of. But I have my suspicions."

<Nenji> "Then you must be patient!" She says with feigned delight and excitement, the way a noble lady might greet a particular small and adorable young dog.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon gives the Queen a look. "Very well. I'll leave you to it. Things progress well in the city above. Our food supply is secure, for the time being. Time will tell."

<Nenji> "I don't suppose you could take these spirits with you when you go?" She asks, gesturing to the air. "They have been pestering my workers, I think they were hiding from something on the surface but every time I shoo them away they return."

<Rhjamiz> Octagon tilts his head and then peers at the air where she has gestured. Intently.

<Nenji> There's a presence there. It seems...lupine.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon narrows his eyes a moment at that lupine presence. "Curious." He reaches out with a clawed hand, as if to touch it. "Where did you come from..."

<Nenji> There's a nervous kind of yelping and an image of woods and Red chasing them through it, an army of walking trees with axes at her back.

<Rhjamiz> "How curious. And what is it you want?"

<Nenji> There is a series of blurred and confused images. There seems to be one of them attacking Red, which is met with confusion and denial, another of them running and hunting which seems dim and faded. Then at the end there's them hiding, in caves, in places where people don't go and sometimes in people.
<Nenji> In the final image there is the constant sense of Red looking for them.

<Rhjamiz> "So you wish to hide. This is correct, yes?"
<Rhjamiz> "You wish to hide here from the Red one."

<Nenji> There seems to be a feeling agreement.
<Nenji> Very eager sincere agreement.

<Rhjamiz> "Perhaps I can find a place for you. What can you offer me?"

<Nenji> Confusion.
<Nenji> The thing does not seem to understand what you mean.

<Rhjamiz> "Mmmnn. Animal minds. Do you understand trade?"

<Nenji> Still confusion.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon furrows his brow. "Let's try it this way. Will you cause trouble if I let you stay in the city?"

<Nenji> There is an image of wolves not caring about spiders.

<Rhjamiz> "I have humans in pens. They are food. It would be in your interest to leave them be as well."

<Nenji> There's two conflicting images here, one is them chasing humans with an overtone of Red in it. The wolf seems to shake its head to clear that leaving it with the second image, which is a wolf hunting for animals such as rabbits or stray sheep and goats.
<Nenji> The impression you are getting, is there is one set of original wolf-like behaviours, and another that Red seems to be influencing,
<Nenji> And the wolves are trying to struggle against it.

<Rhjamiz> "Yes, good. Sheep, goats, rabbits, yes. Think no thoughts of humans."

<Nenji> The wolf seems content to do so.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon nodded. "Go above, then, and keep out of sight. Nothing for you down here."

<Nenji> The wolf thing lingered, uncertainty filling it. But Octagon was a greater force than the queen and then made off through the tunnels to the surface.

<Rhjamiz> Octagon is satisfied. "Let us hope that is the last of that." He nods to the Queen. "I'll leave you to your work."

Octagon left the caverns below feeling rather perplexed. The last thing he needed was roaming wolf spirits attracting undue attention. But no matter, it was not his problem for the time being. He had other matters to attend to. There would come a time when the outside world would mount an assault upon his new stronghold. Conventional armoring techniques were poorly suited to the Arrani's bodies.

And so they would need to develop new, better armor. And they had little time. And so it was up to him, in his infinite wisdom, to find the solution. Silk was lightweight and nearly indestructible when spun correctly. Perhaps, if processed and treated with Arrani venom, it could be made to form a tough, strong resin...

I am going to develop a method of using Arrani silk and venom to create resilient, light-weight armor. Using Spider Lord [+2] for silk, and Toxin [+2] for curing/treating the silk.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 24, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon is pleased with the outcome of the armor, and makes sure to set several aside so that he can instruct others on its make. They'd have need of it soon enough.

In the mean time, while he waited for Elkud to return from his journey, Octagon began to toy with some spare spiders to see if he might create something that would help cement the Arrani's hold upon their land...

I am creating the Silk Road Spiders, which will create and tend the Silk Road; a literal road/path/zerg creep of silk that shall be spread from spidertowns. Spider-Lord [+2] for spiders, Transformation [+2] to change some regular giant spiders into these special Silk Road Spiders and Toxins [+2] because they're going to need to be venomous as gently caress to keep assholes away. I'm not releasing them yet; I'm going to keep them back to see if I need/want them once I am more established. We'll establish what the silk road is then, I guess? Or now?

Also, I am totally ready for a mini time skip when you are, Nenji.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Sicaria, capital of Arrahn

Octagon thanked the messenger for his news, and gave him a message to deliver to Elkud. "Congratulations on your success in Val Lichett, which we shall re-name Delena. The Val Aman of old is dead, and must make way for the rise of Arrahn. Inform our reborn brothers and sisters of their new status as my children. We shall send them breeding stock as soon as the first generations are ready. Until then, they are welcome begin culling the surrounding homesteads and small villages. A small tithe of this stock should be sent to the capital for conversion or... future experiments. The land is theirs, though the forest is home to killer walking trees, so I suggest they avoid it. Once the city is fully secured, return at your convenience."

That night, Octagon gathered the Arrani in the city square. By now, much of the city had been covered in vast webs of silk; structures formed from the stuff where human dwellings would not suffice, or stretched between towers and archways for ease of travel. Octagon stood at the center of the square, atop what was once a fountain commemorating art or some historical figure. The statue had been torn down for scrap, and the Spider Lord stood in its place.

"Fellow Arrani, my children, I have gathered you here to announce our latest victory; Val Lichett is ours. Scores of new brothers and sisters have been welcomed into our fold. Its lands are ripe for the picking. These are auspicious times! Val Setin fell, and has been reborn with its people; it is now Sicaria. Val Lichett has similarly been reborn as Delena. With this victory, Val Aman is dead, and upon its silk-wrapped corpse we shall feed, and grow strong. Out of the many, we shall forge an indivisible whole, capitulating to no-one. A new nation shall rise. A nation of Spiders; Arrahn."

-----

Some time later, Octagon returns to the church where the creature Beltheus first arrived in Val Setin. No, Sicaria. He could not have arrived through the city gates. No, he must have come from somewhere within the church. If Beltheus could appear from nowhere, why not he? Why not, indeed. A Grand Experiment, then. Octagon chose a nice, flat stone wall, unmarred by windows or alcoves, and began to layer a ten foot wide section of it in thick spidersilk. Stone he could not command, but silk? Surely that would be easier to bend to his will than anything man-made. Once that mat of silk was a solid inch thick, he stood before it, and clasped his hands in thought. Perhaps it could be commanded? Or perhaps it needs be molded, like his other experiments. Focusing his will, he trust his hands and his forelegs into the silk, attempting to pry open a portal or a doorway of some kind. To transform this simple silken wall into a silken path... to Delena, let's say.

This new glorious nation of spiders has been remade, carved from the corpse of decadent mankind; henceforth, this nation shall be called Arrahn. Its captial, Sicaria, shall be built upon the corpse of Val Setin. Delena shall rise from the ashes of Val Lichett.

I am going to try to create... a doorway! Or a portal! Or a tunnel! I don't know what I'm making I'm just trying it. Spider-Lord [+2] for using silk and my commanding presence, while Transformation [+2] to turn the silken wall into a silken... tunnel. Door. Something? Destination would be Delena, or perhaps a demense of my own! We'll find out!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon blinked as he gazed into the expanse. Deep into that darkness peering, long he stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting...

What was this place? Nothing. What dwelt therein? Nothing. What was to stop him from claiming it as his own?

Nothing.

I'm kind of winging it here. Spider-Lord [+2] to lay claim to Mu, as is my lordly right (finder's keepers). It shall be mine!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon was left standing there in a nearly catatonic state for several minutes, his expression blank as he stared forward into Nothing. Eventually he blinked, eyes refocusing as the world came back to him. How long had he been standing there? A cursory inspection revealed that he appeared to be whole and unharmed. Well, no. That's not quite right. He felt... hollow. He could feel that shard of Nothing, deep inside. That tiny piece of Mu that was now a part of him. He touched his chest momentarily. His body seemed eternally hidden by shadow, highlighted by a red light that had no apparent source. But otherwise, he was still a Spider. He stared for a moment that the silken wall before him, what was once a doorway had been reverted back to what had come before; nothing but silk and stone.

Curious to test this new part of himself, Octagon once more concentrated upon Delena, but instead of attempting to open a doorway, he focused upon that bit of Nothing inside of him...

Using the power of the Void [+2], I shall temporarily reduce the distance between myself and Delena to Nothing (i.e. I teleport to Delena!).

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Arrahn, Delena (Fine, fine! Madness, I tell you)

Octagon appears quite suddenly in the middle of Delena, startling the Arrani going about there business there. Also startling is his unsettling red glow and constantly shadowed form. It didn’t take him long at all to locate Elkud and inquire as to the progress he was making within the city. Ignoring the Operative’s veiled shock at his master’s sudden change appearance and arrival, Octagon informs Elkud that he will be in Konway for a little bit. He’ll be... checking in from time to time, however, to ensure there is nothing that requires his attention. While he’s away, the Queen is in charge.

Once Elkud was informed of the... changes, Octagon once more reached inside to manipulate that bit of Nothing within...

My action for the month is as follows: Blip (Void [+2]) on over to Hai-Kan and use Spider-Lord [+2], Transformation [+2], and Toxins [+2] to subvert the Senate by converting them, one by one, into Arrani Operatives (my Mimic Spiders). They shall take political control of Konwey and begin the preparations for its eventual integration into Arrahn. This begins with things like officially recognizing Arrahn as a sovereign nation, open borders, and trade. Trade goods would be Chumas, Silks, and Herd (for docile manual labor) in exchange for fresh slaves for food and breeding stock as well as whatever else the Arrani might want from Konwey. Steering the major religion of the empire my way would also be a bonus! Basically, over time, I want to turn Konwey into a puppet or vassal state to Arrahn. I am sure you get the idea.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Konwey, Hai-Kan

Octagon is quite pleased with his progress in Hai-Kan. Having laired in an abandoned cell of the city's dungeon, he directed the progress of his Operatives as they slowly took control of the city's ruling council. Save that one mistake, everything went quite smoothely. Confident that his council of Operatives had things well in hand, Octagon decided it was time to head back home. Leaving instructions with the Operatives to keep him appraised of goings-on, Octagon gathered the power of the Void about him in preparation for his journey home. He had a woman to see about some spiders...

My action for the month is as follows: Blip (Void [+2]) back to Sicaria and releasing the Silk Road spiders to do their thing. I will assist them in their task in order to 'jump start' it. Spider-Lord [+2] and maybe Toxin [+2]? applies but not much else! I liked your idea so let's go with that. Tunnels and trap-doors shall criss-cross the land!

Also I am looking for an update on the Queen's project and the goings-on of Sicaria, in whatever depth you like.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 28, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Arrahn, Sicaria

Octagon decides it was time to put that temple to use. A temple required a priesthood, and he had an idea of just what kind of priesthood would be most appropriate... (Placeholder)

My action for the month is as follows: I am going to create a priesthood of Voidpriests! Using Spider-Lord [+2] and Void [+2]. Maybe Transformation [+2] depending on what taking a spiderman through the void does/if it is necessary. Basically the idea is that they are a priesthood who can tap into the Void in a way similar to what I can do, whatever that may be. Obviously they worship me, duh!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon stares at the horrific beings he had created. Though no emotion can be seen on his face, his voice rings of disappointment. "I'm very sorry," is all he says before decapitating each one with a swipe of his claw. It was a learning experience; he learned that Mu would not be the tool for this job. Not while it stood apart from him or even against him. No, he could not rely upon the Nothing. He would need to rely upon his more... natural powers.

Once the corpses of the failed Voidpriests are thoroughly disposed of, he calls in a second group of not-quite-so-eager volunteers. "No need for you to fret, dear things. We'll not be venturing to the void together; it is not a place for mortal kind, I've learned. No, instead, we shall extol the virtues of Venom and Variety. The strengths of our kind. Come, let us see if we can do better than the last group..."

My action for the month is as follows: I am going to create a priesthood of Spiderpriests, following the religion that we shall call the Silk Road. The underground tunnels are the Webway, by the way. Using Transformation [+2], Spider-Lord [+2], and Toxins [+2]. They shall have powers pertaining to those Domains so long as they worship me. Naturally, these skills can be taught to initiates of the Silk Road. They shall be the very epitome of Spiderdom. The spideriest spiders a spider can be (super-spiders). Naturally, non-spiders may follow the Silk Road, and if they attain full priesthood they may become spiders, themselves. I feel cheesy as hell using Spider-Lord because I use it for everything, but after that failure I don't want to risk it! Feel free to drop it if you think it appropriate.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon is positively delighted with the progress and disposition of his new Religious Order. They are everything he needed and he is more than happy to allow them to work mostly autonomously, overseeing their own training and proselytizing. Clearly no Arrani would need conversion, but they would have permission to begin preaching in Konwey, were anyone brave enough to try and were the populace receptive. Either way, hardly important for the time being.

Instead, he Octagon turned his attention to more... practical matters. His influence was spread far and wide, and he would need a method of keeping up to date on the goings-on of his expanding sovereignty. And so, from strands of silk and a simple piece of wood, Octagon began to shape that which would allow him to keep a finger upon the pulse of the world.

Using Spider-Lord [+2] and Transformation [+2] to create the Silk Harpsichord. It resembles a small, single-stringed Harp with a silken chord. It works by focusing on your recipient and plucking the string, initiating a "call". They answer (with their own Harpsichord) and then you can converse normally, the string vibrating with their voice. The communication cannot be intercepted, but can be overheard since it's a conversation. It allows for instantaneous long-distance communication with reasonable privacy. If only to prevent "prank calls", I'd say that the recipient of a call can "tell" who is calling them and can decline to answer or block a caller.

Except there is a single Master Harpsichord. It resembles a fully-stringed harp, with silken strands. The Master Harpsichord can listen in on any other Harpsichord in existance, including conversations in the vicinity of an inactive Harpsichord. The user "plays" the Master Harpsichord as he or she searches for the information or conversations he or she might wish to listen in on. It obviously helps if you already have a target in mind, but you can just troll for gossip casually. It can also be used as a regular Harpsichord. Probably there can ever only be one, and if it was destroyed it would take a Spinner to recreate it. For the moment, I am keeping the Master Harpsichord for myself! (duh)

Over the next month I will be both producing a fuckton of Silk Harpsichords and teaching the priests how to create them, and selling them off as trade goods, far and wide. Konwey gets preference, of course, so they can buy low and resell for tidy profits. A Harpsichord in every home, a turkey in every pot.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 19, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon is startled by the sudden appearance of... someone. Something had become connected to him in a way his children were, but this one was... different. Somehow. A Comet-touched? Probing for the being's thoughts, he spoke into his mind...

quote:

* Octagon ahems. His 'voice' is tinged with amusement. "Who are... wait. You are Farro. I assume you know who I am."

<exFarro> I assume many people do. You are in the process of overthrowing an ages old nation, after all.

<Octagon> Overthrow? Certainly not. That would involve chaos and bloodshed. I'm ensuring a peaceful integration. Much easier.

* Octagon wears a half-smile. "Where did you get it?" The 'it' in question is obvious; the vial.

<exFarro> You have a very specific definition of chaos, then. I took it from one of your caravans, the one closest to Konwey. You should probably post more guards with the next few, the roads are not as safe as you apparently believe.

<Octagon> Apparently not. And what in the world possessed you to drink it?

<exFarro> Seemed like it might be useful. There were unintended side effects, though. Do the extra legs stop itching?

<Octagon> In time. It seems I owe you thanks, I had always wondered what might happen had another of the comet-touched ingested my mixture... though you are an unusual bandit.

<exFarro> Said the Lord of Spiders. It seems the mystery of where the Arrani came from is solved, then. You must have spent some time procuring enough of that particular admixture.

<Octagon> The Arrani and the mixture are my creations, yes. It has worked beyond my wildest hopes and dreams. I assume you stood against me, given you were raiding my caravan. Where do you stand now?

<exFarro> Things are not so black and white. I still do not have the information I need to come to a full conclusion. At the very least, you are more ambiguous than Mazir. I did not, and do not agree that whatever you are doing in Konwey is well timed, with him so close by.

<Octagon> I'm afraid I do not know who Mazir is. As for my business in Konway, it is already done. It has been done for some months.

<exFarro> Ah, then perhaps I was mistaken. In any case, Mazir is another of the "comet-touched," as you say. He comes from the Elysian sands, and has overthrown Harlakake to the west by force. His powers seem to be some means of controlling souls and sand.
<exFarro> We had a... run in, although he did not manage to pin me down. He was not the first, and will not be the last to try and fail.

* Octagon raises an eyebrow. You get the impression that if he had glasses, he'd be peering at you over them. "I see. I am sure Taeless can hold its own for the time being. I don't recall Harlakake being particularly well-garrisoned, in any event..."
* Octagon shrugs. He clearly doesn't feel concerned over this, for the moment. "We shall deal with him when the time comes. As for you... what more information would you need to come to a conclusion, hmm?"

<exFarro> Your motives, primarily. Your so called bloodless and organized revolution is not as tidy as you might think. And there are forces at work who very much enjoy the calamity you are causing.
<exFarro> Forces that I am deeply opposed to.

<Octagon> I'm working to ensure a future for my kind, of course. I'll admit my work in old Val Aman was disruptive, but I hardly had the resources then. As for Konway, they shall be folded into Arrahn in some years time. A joining of two nations under one banner.
<Octagon> The 'revolution' is over, as I said.
* Octagon spreads his hands. "We won."

<exFarro> As you will. I should mention I do not like the implications of this hunger that seems to have come with the deal. Rumors say the Arrani are maneaters, I am now inclined to believe that is true.

* Octagon shrugs! "It is true. All beings need to eat, Farro. You may avail yourself of the Herd I sent with the caravans; that is their purpose, after all. You -did- capture them, didn't you?"

<exFarro> What bandit worth the name leaves witnesses? Still, what a waste of resources. I suppose you've never tried something less useful, like a goat?

* Octagon sighs whistfully. "What a pity. Waste of good meat. As for goats, animals are unfulfilling. Humans are far better for a growing Arrani. The Herd were created to fulfill this need without the necessity of raids and war. They are also useful for simple, menial tasks."
<Octagon> An elegant solution, if I do say so myself.

<exFarro> Perhaps. Or a dangerous tool to be used against you by someone with a grudge. You are not a man of subtly, it seems.

* Octagon chuckles. "The Herd are hardly a dangerous tool. They were bred to be docile and simple. Any enemy that needs use them against me is dire straits indeed."

<exFarro> Farro sighs. "Not directly, Spider-Lord. But a caste of sentient beings specifically created to be fed upon might be taken in bad taste by, say, anyone with any scruples at all. In any case, I will not interfere any further with your caravans.

<exFarro> I don't need any more of your plants devouring the general populace. I think I shall turn my attentions to Mazir once more. He is more a threat than you think."

<Octagon> They are no different than the already-thriving slave trade taking place within Konway and Taeless. One does not need come find -me- to find an exploited caste of people for the liberating.
<Octagon> As for Mazir...
<Octagon> While I am sure he is exactly as much of a threat as you say, he does not currently threaten my borders, and I am sure diplomacy could be effective. However...
<Octagon> Were you to embrace my cause, I would be happy to work with you for the betterment of the Arrani people. And if Taeless or whoever it is you're trying to protect benefits, then so be it.

<exFarro> Farro grunts noncommittally. "For now, suffice to say I am benefiting your cause by no longer hindering it. After I have finished my business here, I shall see for myself what you are building in Arrahn."
<exFarro> "By your leave, I am still quite nauseous. Should you need to talk more later, I will be available."

<Octagon> Very well. As you wish. We shall speak again.

Octagon concludes the discussion, steepling his claws in thought. A second Spider-Lord, the beginnings of a Pantheon. This could be useful, indeed! Perhaps he could recruit one or two more to his side in the future; for now, he would need to make sure this new Spider-Lord sided with Arrahn. Speaking of Arrahn...

It was a shame his Harpsichords had not yet been perfected, but it would seem he would need to use messengers for this task. Using the lost caravan as a convenient excuse, Octagon decided that a small group of Arrani would accompany each caravan as a guard. While the Arrahnian military had not yet been... officially restructured, there remained plenty of loyal and eager Arrani who had been soldiers or guardsmen in their past lives that it was not difficult to find volunteers. Word was dispatched to the Arrani of Delena and Sicaria; from now on, all non-Herd and non-slave humans were off-limits for predation. This was especially true for Caravan Guards. The Citizens of Taeless and Konway were to be treated as equals; "accidents" would not be tolerated. More flies with honey, Ambassadors don't make good impressions by eating their fellow delegates, etc. Purchasing slaves from the local markets as a meal was, of course, perfectly acceptable.

In addition, Octagon sent word to the Operatives that composed the Konwegian Imperial Senate; it was time for a strengthening of Arrahn and Konway's relationship. "Negotiations" would take place that would result in a more relaxed stance at the border. Citizens of both kingdoms would be able to travel freely back and forth in order to conduct business or pursue pleasure more directly, rather than rely entirely upon Trade Caravans. Naturally, this would allow priests and layspiders of the Silk Road to proselytize freely in Konway's border towns. For the time being, Octagon was content to allow his people to handle these affairs; they did not yet require his divine attention.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: Goddamnit, post will be here soon. Post is below.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 3, 2013

• Locked thread