Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Arrahn, Sicaria

Octagon was satisfied with his progress with the Harpsichord devices. Not perfect, but certainly approaching it. They would serve his needs for the time being, until they could be improved upon to allow for a wider dispersal.

In the meantime, Octagon had been giving thought to housing and living arrangements for the new (and future) spiders. Human accomodations were passable, if cramped and certainly not built for a spider anatomy. He would need a new, more appropriate solution. Something easily set up, without the need for resources they may not have access to (yet). He was on his way to see the queen when he spotted a small mushroom, growing in the dank recesses of the crypt. Reaching down to pluck it, he examined the fungus for several moments. Perhaps the answer to his question could be found here...

And perhaps Farro may be of some use, finally.

In the meantime, Octagon dispatched a messenger to the Spinners; as the leaders of Arrahn and the Arrani people, it was time they saw to the education of his children. The rampant illiteracy would certainly not do.

P-P-P-P-Pantheon Action!: We are creating Mushroom Buildings and then spending the month teaching the Arrani how to build them! I shall be providing Transformation [+2] for both creating the initial Mushroom species and the power for directing its growth, Toxin [+2] due to it's exceedingly lethal toxicity, and Spider-Lord [+2] because only Arrani will be capable wielding the Shaper's power (initially). Conferring with Farro, he will provide his Domains in his post.

We will call this new mushroom species Amanita achrinae.

Mushroom House Qualities:
  • The Mushrooms shall feed upon rock and minerals in the earth to fuel their growth and strengthen them.
  • The mushrooms can be sculpted and grown, by Shapers, into something as simple as a single-room home or as large and complex as a fortress. Larger structures require more effort and man(spider)power to oversee and direct “construction”.
  • Growth is rapid, allowing homes and fortifications to spring up in weeks, rather than months or years.
  • Under a Shaper’s Influence, the Mushrooms’ properties change drastically; the walls become as hard as stone and just as fireproof, while retaining just enough give to cushion blows. Naturally, you can’t eat them, either! The fireproof-ness is the most important quality, here.
  • Internal Architecture tends to compliment Spider anatomy with vertical shafts, lack of stairs, and winding passageways best traversed by something with more than two legs. If you can’t climb, you’re going to have a poo poo time.
  • Roots and Tendrils penetrate deep underground, allowing for the formation of vast underground complexes and connection to the Webway.
  • The Mushroom naturally produces a special sap-like substance inside specialized nodules, called Resin, which can be harvested. It currently has no uses but will be utilized in the future.
  • If allowed to grow wild without Guild influence, these new Mushrooms are basically just giant Mushroom Trees and can be “used” as thus. However, the cap is deadly toxic if ingested; only Arrani and Herd are unaffected. The spores are harmless.

Basically, think Telvanni Towers.

The group who will build them are the Guild of Shapers. They are a combination of gardeners and architects, learning the secrets of mushroom care and design! Joining requires taking both taking an Oath to the guild and fealty to the Spider-Lords, after which they are granted their Shaper power. So long as they remain a Shaper in good standing, they can use it any way they wish. Expulsion means losing it. I am not opposed to their "secret" leaking out in the future and having Rogue Shapers building mushroom towers in places other than Arrahn. But not yet!

Narratively, I am making the Temple of the Silk Road responsible for educating the Arrani and teaching them to read, among other things.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon sighed as Farro disappeared. Invisibility? Stealth? Magic? All three were likely. If any sense could ever penetrate Farro's thick skull, such blessings would be most useful. In any case, his Resistance had really gone and mucked up a perfectly good infiltration of Konwey. Were it not divinely-backed, perhaps propaganda and crackdown might stamp it out, but with a nascent god having already provided aid... well. Octagon would either need to see to it personally, and thus leave business in Arrahn unattended, or he would need to pull out, else risk exposing all of his agents. Still, they handed him quite the handy propaganda tool, and on a silver platter, no less. The Spider Lord would file that away for when Arrahn returned to Konwey to finish the job. But for now... let them win. He had word sent to Konwey; come home.

Once that was taken care of, Octagon focused on ensuring that, in the future, he would have the resources to dedicate to efforts like the Konwegian takeover. To that end, Octagon drew upon his years of experience working in what could be called the espionage field. He envisioned a vast organization stretching across Barant, like a spider's web, with all threads leading back to Arrahn. It was time this vision became reality. He dispatched a messenger to Delena, recalling Elkud to Sicaria in order to take part in this grand project.

My action for the month; I am officially forming the secret police and intelligence agency of Arrahn. Their purpose is to seek out threats to Arrahn, and eliminate them through any means necessary. On paper, they answer to the Spinners and the Temple, but in truth they are autonomous and have special authority to do whatever is required to accomplish their goals. I'll be giving them the Toxin recipe that can convert subjects (be they arrani, human, or otherwise) into Mimic Spiders, allowing them to recruit freely. I don't expect it to be a brainwashing drug like the original toxin. Transformation [+2] will be one of their primary tools, allowing for infiltration and the placing of assets. Toxins [+2] are the second tool of their trade, used as required for assassination, capture, or interrogation. Spider-Lord [+2] probably applies because this organization is specifically for and made of spiders, as usual. Up to you.

Octagon will, of course, draw upon his knowledge and experience from his time as a mortal in order to instruct them. Elkud will be recalled from Delena to oversee its operation, as he sees fit. I don't expect all of them to be Mimic Spiders; after all, if they can acquire human (or otherwise) assets, so much the better.

In Non-Divine-Action territory, I am instructing the Spinners to begin formalizing a military. The training and recruitment of soldiers in order to secure our borders is priority. They are to commission barracks and fortresses from the Guild of Shapers where necessary.

Lastly, I am sending word to my agents in Konwey; get out and return home. They are to fake their deaths (probably by mangling a corpse until it cannot be identified) and making it look like they, too, were assassinated one by one. Whatever they do, they are to make sure they get back safely

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon was as pleased as one could be, given the circumstances. Elkud seemed to be taking to his duties well, and he was more than welcome to tinker with the Mixture. He was even welcome to establish a working relationship with the Spinners, and get their help with the toxin. Few others besides Octagon himself could so readily tinker with such toxins. In the meantime, Octagon turned to a... somewhat aborted project, left incomplete due to... unforeseen complications. The Harpsicords. Utterly useless to his purposes as they were, save for internal communications. But with a little tweaking, perhaps they could make their way into the world at large. Should he be successful, he would need to arrange for Elkud to be granted access to the Master Harpsichord. It would be quite useful for someone in his position.

Simple action this month: Using Void [+2] to remove the need for a wire from the Harpsicords, allowing them to be useful outside of Arrahn. We are offering them up as a trade item and I will be spending the month helping with that. Surely the world can see the merit in long-distance instantaneous communications. That poo poo should sell itself.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

Octagon arrives, and nods simply to the Queen, and the Roostenant. He bows slightly to Red in deference to her... title. "Quite the curious gathering. To what do we owe the pleasure of your company, your highness?" he addresses Red.

Red: "I am selecting a husband." She says quite seriously as she looks into the pens.

Octagon does his utmost to retain his composure in order to avoid laughing out loud. He pausing a moment before replying, "A husband? An interesting choice. Any one of these would make for a docile and pliant partner." The Spider Lord glances to the Queen and raises an eyebrow, or what serves for one.

Red: "Exactly! All I need is someone to give me a son and be obedient. Nothing too complicated and all the men in Val Aman are too afraid of their new queen. It *really* stifles the romance." She says in a bit of a huff.

Octagon nods as if this is a perfectly reasonable request. "Such is the curse of power. Those whom you protect are often fearful." He shakes his head. "Still, a son begot of one of my stock would be strong and healthy... though he would need to overcome his father's breeding to of any worth to you. But, then again, you are the Queen of Val Aman. Surely anything is possible."

Red: "I thought it would be nice to make an alliance between us. Marriages are the normal way, but since you're a big icky spider person and I am a charming little girl, that wouldn't work."

Octagon keeps his face a careful mask of contemplation; not far from the truth. "You are quite wise, indeed. If you might excuse me to conferr with my... Lady, here." He sidles up next to the Queen, and whispers (conspiratorily), "Your opinion of her?"

The Queen: "She appears to live in a fantasy of her own creating, but she is not stupid. I think it wiser to indulge her so she does not think further than home or realise what reality truly is."
The Queen: "The ability to conjure up your own illusions as reality is a frightening potential. Even now she sends an image of herself and she remains in her castle."

Octagon nods in agreement. "No argument here. I've had a mad thought. Possibly brilliant, possibly folly. I value your opinions on these matters; you are aware of our... latest accquisition, yes? The troublesome Farro."

The Queen: "Yes, he seems to resent his transformation and by connection, you. You may wish to release him of it at some point and retain a potential friend or ally, before he turns on you and tries to destroy us."

Octagon mmhmms. "I suppose it is within my power to release him, yes. I will need to think on that. As for Red... do you think she could be convinced to join us? Would it even be a good idea?"

The Queen: "I find it doubtful she will want to assume our form. If you could make an arrangement in some other manner of power it might be more well received however."

Octagon nods. "It couldn't hurt, I suppose. If she's going to turn on us, she'll do it regardless. At least that way we may have warning."
Octagon mmhmms to himself before turning to address Red with a small bow. "Your highness, having conferred with my trusted advisor, we both agree that an alliance between our two kingdoms would be to the benefit of all. Furthermore..." He smiles oh-so-sweetly, "I am prepared to offer you something more. A choice! A gift. Something between us, Regent to Regent."

Red: "Gifts? I do like gifts. Is it something sweet?"

Octagon "Nothing as mundane, but I shall keep that in mind. I propose we form a sort of partnership of mutual cooperation. I can offer you one of two gifts to seal this deal, should you accept. In the one hand," he extends an empty palm, "I offer Spiders. Icky, I know, but they have their charms! You would no longer be a cute little girl, but it would help our kingdoms form one unified whole." He extends his second hand, "In the other, I offer the power to mold living things to your whims. To Transform them as you see fit. Our kingdoms may not be unified, but the alliance between our two lands would be strong indeed."
Octagon "One other thing..."

Red: She cocks her head, waiting for you to finish.

Octagon "I strongly urge you to think on which you might prefer. At the present time, I can only offer you the gift of Spiders. But should you choose Transformation, I will need some time to make the necessary arrangements. Prior arrangements that need ammending, that sort of thing."

Red: "I can make spiders if I really want to, but with Transformation, I could make my sugarcake castle real. Wouldn't you like that Mr. Octagon?"
Red: "Or do spiders not like sugar?"

Octagon "Our pallet is more... selective, though I'm sure some enjoy it as a distraction."

Red: "Wonderful! Well, let me know when you're ready to give me this gift. In the mean time I have wedding preparations to make." Red says, having apparently selected her husband. He was a vapid, as they all were, Herd who had brown hair and stubbly beard that might be a bit dashing when it was cleaned up.

Octagon smiles pleasently, and nods approvingly. "An excellent choice. I shall send word to you soon, with luck."

Octagon waves goodbye as Red, the Roosetenant, and her wonderful new husband depart for the North.

After they are gone, Octagon turns his attention back to the Herd pens, as the Queen clears her throat.

quote:

The Queen: "Darling dearest. I have been thinking about what has been happening in Konwey. If I might make a suggestion? Make some changes to the mimic spiders so they can also eat normal human food, so as to fit in."

Octagon nods quickly. "Dear, you are absolutely right. I had just been thinking this over myself, but hardly even considered normal food as an option. This is what happens when I don't have a proper sounding board." He chuckles to himself. "I'll make that my next priority."
Octagon "I'd also like to do something about your... status, so to speak. But that is a special problem I may not be able to solve. I have some ideas, we'll see what comes."

The Queen: "Status? What ever do you mean?"

Octagon "Your..." he makes a gesture as if searching for a proper word, "divinity, for lack of a better description. As I said, I may never find a solution, but I have a theory or two. Though I feel myself slipping, day by day."
Octagon shakes his head. "Nothing to worry about just yet."

The Queen: "Well, you could always find another small godling and feed them to me." She says with an indulgent smile.

Octagon nods. "That is, indeed, the plan. If the opportunity arrises, I'll let you know."

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 28, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon was, as usual, quite pleased with the results of his efforts. Mu's grumbling bothered him very little; the yawning blackness would be put toward grander, more destructive things soon enough. But first, the small things needed to be taken care of. The Queen had suggested a simple solution to the problem of long-term infiltration, and he was a tad bit embarrassed he hadn't considered it himself! But no matter; that is why he had her, after all.

And so Octagon went to Elkud, explaining that he would need to take the Transformation Toxin for short time while he made some adjustments. In the meantime, any subjects needing to be converted into Mimics could be sent to the Spinners, or Octagon would do it himself if he was available. Shouldn't be long. Perhaps a month or two...

Using Transformation [+2] because we are altering the mimic spiders and Spider-Lord [+2] because they are, indeed, spiders that we are altering. I am making it so that Mimics, both current and all future generations, may survive on human and other food in order to better infiltrate those societies. If I can do all this from my couch, cool, but I'll go change each one myself if necessary. In disguise where applicable.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon couldn't help but agree with his Mimics and their assessment of human food. Long months undercover should be rewarded with a plethora of herd to cleanse the pallet after such appalling fare. In the meantime, Octagon stood among the ruins of the library, lost in thought as he pondered his next move. He was not quite yet sure what to think of this bright, silver moon that had appeared in the sky. Its sudden appearance and the feeling of illness was troubling, though for the moment, it seemed to do little more than shine with a distressingly bright light. An annoyance, if anything. Eventually he would need to finish building his web, so to speak, and poke his head out to see the state of things. Though there was no pressing threat, peace couldn't last forever.

And so Octagon decided that he would prepare for war. He would need weapons. Weapons fit for for the needs of the Arrani. Unable to find what he was searching for within Sicaria, the Spider Lord blipped out into the forest north of Delena. Out here, there were more sources of... inspiration. The world was his clay, after all. His search did not take long. He spied a caterpillar upon a tree, crawling along, oblivious to the world. Octagon reached out to pluck the caterpillar from its leaf. Such a creature would serve as a fitting base for what he had in mind, its natural transformative power complimenting his desires. He closed it in his fist as his Divine Will began to take hold...

Oh! Right, he had nearly forgotten. He made a mental note to accept Red's wedding invitation.

I am going to use Transformation [+2] and Toxin [+2] to create the Metamorph, a shape-shifting creature that can assume three different forms; a spear, a sword, and a spine-thrower (crossbow/rifle). Obviously all three allow for the delivery of a lethal paralytic venom. With training, they can be taught other forms. They feed on Chumas, and are (naturally) immune to the intoxicating effects. They can probably eat other stuff too! Very long lived, not very independently mobile, probably breeds by laying eggs in humans/herd.

I imagine a masterfully skilled Metamorph/Arrani pair can do some amazing, mind-blowing poo poo but who knows! I'll spend the month showing the Arrani how to train and care for them. I'll leave the details of the Metamorphs to you, but obviously I want these things to be effective combat weapons so they should probably be able to compete with regular steel at the very least.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 9, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon arrived at the crystalline palace an hour prior to the ceremony. This was primarily due to the fact that he had never been there; he was therefore uncertain where he might appear. Thankfully, he popped in to existence at the stairway leading to the entrance to the great Crystal Castle. Much to the shock of arriving guests, though perhaps not their terror; living in the realm of a mad god-Queen no doubt desensitized you to things like enormous spider monstrosities.

The Spider Lord was as well-dressed as a spider monster could be; his somewhat human-ish upper half was dressed in a silken blouse dyed a maroon color, while his silk doublet was a dark charcoal with silver trim. His lower, spider-half dressed in what could only be described as a short caparison, spun from silk and redesigned to compliment the arachnid form. It, too, was dyed maroon, and draped across his abdomen, secured by a charcoal sash. He spun it all himself, of course. He would never have bothered were he not here as a guest; it would be rude to disappoint his host. She had certain expectations, one of them being well-dressed wedding guests.

Octagon played his part perfectly; he socialized and made small-talk with the other guests, complimented them on their looks or wit, and made a show of enjoying the wine and food. In truth, human food disgusted him, and he'd much rather dine upon one of the waiters than his snack tray. Sadly, that would dampen the mood of this joyous occasion, so he refrained. If there was one thing that did intrigue the Spider Lord, it was the castle itself. Meticulously formed from a single piece of crystal, it's aesthetic and craftsmanship was a marvel. Credit where credit was due; it was quite beautiful. Red certainly dreamed big.

Finally, thankfully, it was time. The ceremony was almost textbook in its conduction, leaving the Spider Lord utterly bored. The appearance of Lyonel briefly puzzled Octagon, but he concluded that Red must have tinkered with her husband-to-be quite significantly. He chuckled to himself, and idly wondered if he could recall his humble beginnings in a slave pen. Lyonel wore some form of extremely elegant outfit fashioned from gold cloth and proudly displaying Red's colors. Handsome but otherwise unremarkable as far as the Spider Lord was concerned. And then Queen Red appeared. Her dress was, quite literally, indescribable. Its form was impossible; cloth could not move like it did, and it's color was one he had no name for, had never seen before. There was a quiet murmur of awe that traveled through congregation among those that were not immediately dumbfounded into silence. Truly, it was an impossibly beautiful dress. Literally so. Octagon did his best to avoid looking directly at it, as he could feel his mind becoming unstable from merely thinking about it. From there, the ceremony proceeded as expected; they pledged, they kissed, there was much cake and celebration. The Spider Lord was among those who were allowed to personally congratulate the happy couple, which he did.

"My best for the both of you, your highnesses. May you lives be long, and fruitful."

After the wedding ceremonies had, mercifully, concluded and the appropriate farewells had been made, Octagon immediately teleported back to Arrahn. Discarding his formal attire , and wanted nothing more than to get a bite to eat enjoy the company of his own kind. But this was no time for getting cozy within his lair, as much as the Spider Lord might wish. There were things to do, places to go, sights to see, and people to eat. He had long entertained the possibility of visiting Taelos once more, after all this time, and properly 'delivering' upon his promise to the wealthy Merchant who had sent him here in the first place. How amusing it would be to 'thank' the poor man for setting him upon this path, though he suspected he was destined for it in the long run. But why stop at Taelos? Indeed, why not tour Barant in its entirety? Without Farro to witlessly spout proclamations of looming doom around every tree and grassy hill, he needed a fresh perspective on the goings-on outside his silken walls. Yes, an excursion. A chance to stretch his legs; he had so many of them. And so it was decided. The Spider Lord went to speak to the Queen, informing her that he would be going on a small excursion for a month, perhaps two. She'd be in charge while he was away, in whatever needed her attention.

"Should there be need, pray and I will hear it. I'll return in the blink of an eye."

And so he went, just as suddenly.

~Elsewhere~

Somewhere, among the alleyways and gutters of what might be any city on Barant, a lone man walked through the pouring rain, his cloak keeping the worst from him. He did so hate the rain. Two figures stepped into the alley before him, while a third appeared behind. They brandished knives. The cloaked man raised his hands in a gesture of supplication. The trio of thugs closed in, "Hand over yer gold 'n' valuables, quiet like."

The cloaked figure smiled, and spread his hands. "My dear friends... why settle for mere baubles and a handful of gold, when I have something far more valuable to offer you? Come closer. Let me tell you a story about the Spider and the Fly..."

First, I'm attending the wedding.

Then! Disguising myself as my old human self, and going on vacation! Leveraging my powers of Spider-Lordness [+2], Transformation [+2], and Toxins [+2] to lie, propagandize, spider, and poison my way across Barant and establish secretive Spider Cults in major population centers. I will be acting as a traveling con-man peddling real miracles and subtly encouraging Spider Cults through granting 'prayers' or wishes in the name of the ~mysterious~ Spider Lord and obviously telling people to keep that poo poo on the down-low, yo. Presumably I'm most attractive to thieves, murderers, and assassins (given my talents), but I hope that a diverse range of folk might see the merit to my methods. I'm not going to be doing a lot of hand-holding for these things. I'll let them run themselves and determine their own pecking order and practices.

While I'm touring around, I'd also like to perform a few mundane tasks:
  • Gather information, rumors and gossip regarding the general state of the world. Whatever you care to throw at me.
  • Take a few human test subjects through the Void when I blip from place to place, just to see what happens.
  • While in Taelos, I want to look up the Merchant who sent me to Val Aman in the first place and set up a meet. I've got his goods! :v:

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 25, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Taeless, Taelos

Octagon is in that awkward position of climbing a wall when invited inside. "Well, if you're offering," he says, hoisting himself inside and dusting himself off. "I don't believe we've met."

Nomad: "Nomad. I am an associate of Beltheus as it were. Come, my friend and I-" He says gesturing to the surprised noble, doubly so to see you return a year and a half later. "-were just discussing what I could do for him. I trust you are aware of what is happening in this country right now?" Nomad says with a friendly smile.

Nomad is a man in his late twenties, with dark skin and fair hair. He has some odd tattoos on his face, they seem to trace green lines and you notice similar markings on his hands. Perhaps they are full bodied. It is difficult to tell under his loose and modestly extravagant clothing.

Nobleman: "Octagon? Gods man, I count my blessings and purse strings I decided not to pay any more in advance!" The noble says to you scowling slightly.

Nomad smiles a little, but says nothing in return.

Octagon smiles in what is likely an equally pleasent, and equally hollow, manner. "That is, actually, one of my reasons for the visit to Taelos; I've seen the lionmen. I've heard the talk. I admire the boldness, if not the efficacy." He glances to the nobleman. "Ah, yes, well. Suffice it to say things did not go as planned. You might say I died and was reborn. In any case, I intend to deliver in full. Plus interest, I think." He smiles.

The noble looks at Nomad, confusion written over his face. Nomad smiles and continues to say nothing. Eventually the man frowns in consternation and looks at you. "Alright and what do you mean by that?"

Octagon spreads his hands. "I can offer so much more than a mere vial of poison, these day. I could, for example, arrange it so that you could kill with but a touch. If you were interested."

"Well..." The man says and Nomad looks at the Spider Lord with a raised eyebrow. "Did not such a tact cause you some strife in Konwey?" He suggests to you, implying that your intent was to transform the man into some sort of Arrani.

Octagon frowns and waves his hand dismissively. "Konwey was going swimingly until a busy-body stepped in and decided to cause a fuss. But no, that isn't my intention at all. I mean to allow him to produce his -own- toxin. Venom. Poison. Whatever you like."

The noble blinks at him. "Uh, make my own poison? What?" He seems a little confused and looks to Nomad for some clarification.

Nomad: "It is like my offer. We have certain gifts, and we can give some of those to people."

This did not really seem to make the noble and less confused.

Octagon was beginning to clearly remember what a pompous idiot he'd been.

Octagon spreads his hands once more. "Poor man, spoiled for choice. Complete and utter destruction is also on the table, if we're talking death-dealing, but it's a tad less subtle and far more... volatile. Though perhaps less prone to... accidents, in a manner." Octagon glances to Nomad. "I'm curious what you are offering this man, and why?"

Nomad: "Oh I am offering him certain influences and promises of aid at crucial moments. As for why, consider it a parting gift for a friend." He says and laughs with genuine mirth, although not in an entirely nice way.

Nomad: "I'd be wary friend Octagon should you chose to act so blatantly though." He says with a smile. "Leodin no doubt courts my death for revenge over my little ploy with his pet Dwarf. You wouldn't want to attract his ire I assure you. For cats, he and his people can be rather dogged in pursuing their agendas."

Octagon covers his mouth with a fist and coughs. Heh. "I can imagine. Strange world we live in; dwarfs, cats, wolfmen and walking trees. Who knows what else." He shrugs. "It would appear that today is your lucky day, friend; two nascent gods offer boons. And they're not mutually exclusive. Should destabilize things here amazingly."

The noble is very confused, but seems to sense that he's being given what he thinks is a good offer.

Octagon remarks, "Politically speaking; not physically speaking. Probably."

Nomad looks at you enquiringly. "We could try you know." He says with a further smile. "It might even be entertaining."

Octagon hums. "To both gift this man with extraordinary powers? I agree. Not so much rending reality in twain; makes me nauseous."

Nomad scowls at that comment. "Be grateful it does not cause you to itch. It is almost unbearable that moon."

Octagon glances ceiling-ward. "Yes, that moon was... well. Disturbing and distasteful. Let's say I could get rid of it; what would that be worth to you?"

Nomad: "A substantial amount, although you would need to discuss that with Beltheus as well." He says with a reasonable level of detachment. Enough to say yes, he would really like it gone, but no he's not going to let on exactly how much he'll give for it.

Octagon simply nods. "I'll take a look at the problem. Tell Beltheus I said 'hello'." He turns his attention back to the no-doubt dumbfounded nobleman. "Now, as for you..."

The nobleman is unsure whether to be insulted that you were clearly talking about him and ignored, or to be flattered to receive gifts from both of you. "Yes?" He says nervously and expectedly, if such a state could truly be achieved.

Octagon shrugs slightly. "Well, I presume my offer is of interest. The choice is yours; do you accept this gift? To kill with a touch; fast or slow."

Noble: "Uh, slow sounds better. If they die as soon as I touch them...then people would...know it was me?" The noble sounds unsure of your question.

Octagon laughs. "I was merely asking if you accepted the offer. The choice between fast or slow is part of the package."

Noble: "Oh. Then...yes."

Nomad looks at you with a nasty twinkle in his eye.

Nomad: "Shall we give him as much power as we can then, so he can protect his homeland?"

Octagon eyes Nomad a moment, before nodding. "I think so, yes. I can't very well allow the lionmen to corrupt and destroy this vibrant stronghold of humanity, after all. Where would I be without them?"

Nomad: "A very strange and confusing world I fear." He says with mock gravity.

---

Octagon turns his attention upon the Nobleman now, stepping forward until he was within arm's length. Reaching out, he places a finger upon the man's forehead. "Sit back, relax, and try not to die of shock."

How comforting.

Let's get crazy-go-nuts and pour everything we have into this man. My action is to, basically, turn him into a Super Human. It will be hereditary; his first-born child shall share/suffer his 'gift', and so on. Toxin [+2] to allow him to produce all manner of poisons and venoms internally. At will, with but a touch, he can kill. Fast or slow. Quietly, or with pain beyond imagining. Transformation [+2] to grant him the very general power of Shapeshifting. The man was a witless idiot, and so Spider-Lord [+2] shall grant him the cunning, intelligence, and the commanding presence of true Spider Noble. Except for with people. You get the idea. Finally. Void [+2] shall taint his very core with a tiiiiny seed of voidstuff. It will slowly consume him over some number of decades (your choice), but also grant him the limited ability to unmake things. Of course, the more things he unmakes, the faster he shall be unmade. In the end, either way, he'll implode. Maybe take a room with him, I dunno. Something fun!

For the rest of the month I want to keep tabs on my budding cult tho obviously not do much divinely speaking!

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 1, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Taeless, Taelos

Octagon is positively giddy as he follows the noble's exploits. Simply marvelous. He didn't expect the poor lad to singlehandedly deliver Taeless to him, but it would thrown a lovely kink into the works of whatever lion god was taking over. Enough to keep the poor creature busy for some time solving the issue. Though Octagon had no intention to stick around and interfere much; there were things back home he needed to do. Something long put off that needed mending. And in a blink, he was gone.

--Back in Sicaria--

With a pop, and a flurry of ash and scraps of paper, Octagon appears, in his full arachnid glory, within the charred remains of the vast College of Val Setin; specifically, what remains of its library. While the Spider-Lord had no great love for scholarly pursuit or deep respect for ancient history, he did appreciate one thing; information. Secrets. The currency of backroom deals and blackmail. And he wished to share this appreciation with his children. But to do this, they needed a common tongue, and a written language with which to record it. Focusing his Divine Will, he began to draw forth the very essence of the vast sum of languages that had once been housed by this great Library; molding them, changing them, sculpting them into something he could call his own...

"Rahk."

I am creating the written and spoken language of the Arrani; Rahk, and with it the Weavers, a guild of record-keepers for Arrahn. The only quality I've got to apply to Spider-Lord [+2]; ideally, I'd like it to be difficult to read the written form of Rahk if you don't possess at least four eyes (which hopefully all Arrani do!), but I will take what I can get. Unlike Litoran, speaking it or learning it won't alter your thinking or brainwash you, nor is it magical, though I imagine it is apt for deception and innuendo; double-meanings and semantics abound. The Divine part of this action will be implanting this fluency in Rahk into all currently living Arrani, as if they had grown up knowing it. Teaching it to their children will be their responsibility. Failing that, we'll do this the hard way until I pass out from moonstrike syndrome.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 11, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Convo with the Queen posted:

* Octagon goes to find the Queen! He might even have to ask directions!

<HiKaizer> You are directed to the 'Birthing Tower'.
<HiKaizer> It is a large structure not quite in the centre of town, but very close to it.
<HiKaizer> The tower has an underground and above ground component.
<HiKaizer> The queen is in the underground segment currently and is nursing a collection of strange creatures.
<HiKaizer> They are distinctly not arachnid in nature.
<HiKaizer> She remains relatively unchanged however.

* Octagon is somewhat puzzled at the mention of a 'Birthing Tower', and were he a lesser man he would make a face. But Octagon is a (spider) god, and his poker-face is fantastic. He arrives in due time, and peers around. "Good... morning? I don't recall this place. Or these creatures. Or much else after the darkness."

<HiKaizer> "Yes yes darling, a lot changes in ten years. Please fetch me the dried rats will you? They're on the shelf behind you." She says without blinking so much as an eyelid. Which was aided by her lack of eyelids.

* Octagon turns around, which is a feat for a spider, and looks left and right until he finds the rats. He promptly hands them over in a positively confused manner. "What are the rats for? And what are these?" he gestures to the strange creatures.

<HiKaizer> "The rats are food dear. Not everything eats humans and I have spent a great deal of time figuring out diets. It appears that rats are almost a universal food source, despite the propensity for spreading plagues and their general filthy habits." She says and starts feeding one of the creatures a rat.
<HiKaizer> It appears to be part bull, part man.
<HiKaizer> The bull part is the head, but apparently it still eats dried rat.

* Octagon opens his mouth, and then closes it again. "What are these... bull-men for?"

<HiKaizer> "Guards. I plan to put them in some mazes."
<HiKaizer> "Do close your mouth dear, it is unseemly."

* Octagon tilts his head slowly. "What do they guard in these mazes?"

<HiKaizer> "We will see when the mazes are constructed I suppose." She says indifferently.

* Octagon uh-huhs. Quite perplexing! "How did you create these things?"

<HiKaizer> "Similarly to how you first made the Arrani I believe, although with lease disease and poison."

* Octagon points curiously. "-You- created them? How is this possible?"

<HiKaizer> "It really is a very simple concept dear, try not be so stupid." She says a little reproachfully, but also with a hint of amusement in her voice.

* Octagon wags his finger at the Queen, giving her a bemusedly admonishing look. "What an incorrigable tease you are. So you have divine powers now, hmm? Interesting..." He taps his chin. "What else have you managed to do?"

<HiKaizer> "Well, I have ensured that the city is higher above ground and tripled the drain capacity for the storms. The first three years were fairly unpleasant. We've begun exporting small amounts of Chuma to Konwegian tea houses as well. Apparently in mild doses it is a very pleasant relaxant for humans and is not concentrated enough to cause addiction issues. I
<HiKaizer> have tried to encourage slightly higher doses to try and tease in actual addictions, but sadly the few budding Litorian alchemists there are caught on to my plans and have ensured that people know the 'safe' dosage."

* Octagon scowls and rolls his eyes. "Litorans again. Meddlesome things. I'll need a update on the happenings in the last ten years... did the Weavers keep records?"

<HiKaizer> "Meticulously."

<Octagon> "Excellent. I shall peruse them at my leisure. Is there anything else that needs my attention at the moment?"

<HiKaizer> "No. I made do these last ten years Octagon, and you did ensure that Arrahn would continue without you. I suppose you ought be pleased it did so."

* Octagon nods. "I certainly am. And thank you for keeping watch while I was away."

Octagon left the, ah, Birthing Tower somewhat concerned. Mazes and Monsters... what had gotten into her? Nothing for it but to wait and see, he supposed. Perhaps there was some method to this... peculiarity. Or maybe it would make for some excitement, but 'guarding' things didn't sound very... upsetting. In the meantime, might as well check out just what his people had written in the last ten years...

Checking out some books at the local library! I'm curious what sort of things have been written about, not necessarily just records.

Where did I leave my library card?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon was pleased to find that his children were writing. And, apparently, reproducing an an increased rate! Arrahn was rich with now-abandoned farmland perfect for creating Herd-Chuma Plantations. With luck, some enterprising arrani had already begun!

Out of the corner of his eye, the Spider Lord spied one of those small, skittering creatures. Placing the book back upon the shelf, he begins to follow it. Surely it was the Queen's doing, yes? What was this thing...

I want to find out what the skittering things are! I will ask around if need be.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 28, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon looks a bit bemused at the idea that he was being spied on! Keeping tabs on him, are they? Tch! He shakes his head in bemusement, and turns the note over to scribble upon its back;

A Note posted:

Popping out to take a look around. I'll be back soon.

O

Handing it to a skittering critter, he takes a moment to adopt a less conspicuous (though still disturbing) human form, before promptly disappearing with a rush of air and a popping sound.

I'm going to whichever Dwarf Town to the West sounded like it was the more prominent trade town? I want to poke around and get a general idea of their opinions of Arrahn, what trade goods flow through, and little things like that.

Failing that, send me to the most interesting town that trades with Arrahn!

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 28, 2013

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon - Goldshaft, Adavan

Octagon was thrilled, indeed, by the expansion of Arrani trade. How marvelous! And he was similarly pleased that Herd was on the menu, as well. Would that he could ensure all races understood the delightful taste of sentient flesh. Alas. Octagon stayed to browse a shop or two before he returned to the road. Things had changed greatly in Arrahn in the time he had been dormant. It was nigh impossible to get a clear perspective on the scope of the changes from ground-level. If only he had some means of soaring, as the birds do...

And then a thought struck him. A mad thought. Could he? He was a spider, why couldn't he? Granted, this was typically the province of the very young, but why couldn't a god do as he pleased? And so he set to work, fashioning a contraption of silk the likes of which the world had probably never seen...

Spider-Lord [+2] to create... balloons! Yes, I want to figure out a way to fashion a dirigible from spider silk. Maaaaaaybe use Toxin [+2] to create a highly toxic (but lighter-than-air!) gas to fill them with. But I leave it to your discretion.

I'll use my balloon, should I succeed, to survey the land of Arrahn from the air!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon spends his balloon tour of Arrahn contemplating his next move. Debt is not a thing he enjoyed possessing, whether it be to personifications of universal concepts or not. While he knew of many things that were no-doubt important to many people, he had no desire to stab his own back, so to speak, by destroying something close to him. No, preferably it be something far away, and belonging to some enemy or casual acquaintance. Guiding the balloon back to Sicaria, somehow, Octagon decided that the solution to his problem lie with Elkud and the Widowmakers. He had given them the task of seeking out actual and potential threats to Arrahn when he formed the organization, which should provide plenty of opportunities for erasing troublesome things from existence. It was time he 'dropped in', so to speak...

Performing no God-Action, I am instead checking up on the Widowmakers and Elkud. I better hear good news or there will be trouble.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon watched the interrogation for a time, before merely nodding approvingly to Elkud and stepping back out into the city at large. So much had changed while he was away. Things had moved on without him. As he had hoped they would, though perhaps not so soon. The Queen had taken over some of his duties, though obviously could not assume them all. As also was proper. Further effort here would be less than helpful; it could even become disruptive. He had, it seemed to him, done all that he could reasonably do. Acquiring a bit of parchment and a pen, he jotted down a somewhat-brief note to the Queen;

Q, posted:

I'm afraid we must separate for a time, my dear. I have business I must attend to, and I do not know when I shall return. If I do, I will not be the same. I leave all this in your very capable hands. Oh, and I've left you a little curiosity; I have no doubt you'll find some devious use for it. Take care,

- O

which he promptly handed off to one of the guards at the Birthing Tower, with instructions to have it delivered to her as soon as possible. In addition, Octagon left his pitch-black balloon. Perhaps she would be able to make something of it all. In any case, there was nothing more to attend to. Well, no, there was one thing that needed doing...

The Spider Lord disappeared.

~

Octagon simply existed in the inky blackness of the Void, the space between. He spoke to the Nothingness. "Hello there, Mu. I've come to pay my debt, and I've brought something of unparalleled worth; let me share it with you..."

Let's do this thing.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Octagon Khali - The Void

And so Octagon entered the Void, and became something else...

"And behold, I shall be a blight upon the land, and everything I touch shall wither and die.

"I am Khali."

Let's fashion some Balefire uh, er, I mean, let's make Black Light. Distorting [+2] light into a tool of Entropy [+2] and the Void [+2].

Presumably anyone who uses Black Light will suffer consequences. Do I care? No. Can they pay in advance with sacrifices or something? Sure, I'll allow it.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Khali - The Void

Khali observed the disturbing ritual sacrifice with mild bemusement. He had not though that the noble would manage to survive, and thrive, as he had! How marvelous. Such tenacity, and loyalty, should be rewarded.

And so he shall be.

Using Distortion [+2], Entropy [+2], Mirror [+2], Madness [+2], and the Void [+2] to alter one of the dude's rings (surely he has at least one!) into a Divine Weapon. Distortion and Mirrors to keep the wearer safe and hidden from attack and scrutiny, while Entropy and Void are obviously for fuckin' poo poo up. I would specify specific powers but I like the idea of it being a bit more nebulous rather than "it shoots energy bolts and casts Mirror Image".

Edit: Let's throw in Madness for Extra Fun.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 22, 2014

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Khali - Some Crummy Basement

"The Time of Prophecy is at hand," whatever that is, "and so I have returned. Your work is most pleasing, and as such I have granted you a boon, a ring, to use as you see fit. Use it well."

Inexplicably, and unexpectedly, the stone of the basement's floor deforms, consuming the corpse of the sacrificed Litoran. In its places rises a pillar of pure Obsidian, glinting even in the darkness. The Nobleman and his son can no-doubt feel the power radiating from it, and gazing into its facets is akin to gazing into the void itself; an endless blackness. Those images reflected upon its surface are distorted and unnatural, but difficult to make out! Perhaps if one peered more closely...

"Gather those around you to your cause. Lay waste. Prepare for the End. You know what needs be done."

And in their heads, beneath whatever madness has overtaken their Void-wracked souls, a voice can be heard; quiet, yet quite insistent:

"You must construct additional Pylons."

Using Distortion [+2], Entropy [+2], Mirror [+2], Madness [+2], and the Void [+2].

Without going into tedious detail, Pylons are pillars of obsidian that can be constructed from any stone material. To those tained by the Void in their soul or in their head, they resemble just that. To the Uninitiated, they Mirror their surroundings and appear to be pillars made out of native stone. Only those driven Mad by the Void or otherwise Void-affiliated can construct a Pylon. How is this done? :shrug:

I'd like Pylons to act as a conduit for Nasty Void Stuff. Laser Beams, Voidspawn, Deliveries, I dunno.

Pylons should radiate a field of Entropy. Things fall apart quickly when a Pylon is nearby.

Close proximity or physical contact with a Pylon should probably obliterate you, taint you, drive you Mad, transform you into some horrible Distorted Void-self, or some combination of any of those things! I'd say that all Void-related Madness compells people to construct and gather around Pylons to do... Void stuff.

...And I've just realized what I am describing sounds very much like the Markers. WHATEVER, TOO BAD. :v:

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 26, 2014

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Khali - Some Crummy Basement

"Of course. However, one caveat. Do not meddle in the affairs of the spiders. Leave that to me."

Using Mirror [+2] and the Void [+2] to teach this guy how to not only hop from place to place with the Void as a go-between, but also how to travel through mirrors as well.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Khali - Tavaresh, Eventually

Khali left shortly after his protege, stepping into the reflective surface of the First Pylon and disappearing to parts unknown. There he waited and watched, gazing out from the Other Side, the twisted, distorted version of reality that is reflected back at you from within a mirror. There he flitted from "window" to "window", no doubt terrifying innocent mortals with the image of his dark form standing behind them. Eventually, he crossed the over the ocean and emerged somewhere in Taravesh, though he knew not where. Emerging from some poor sod's reflecting pool, Khali stretched out his power to draw those to him whom would be most susceptible to his... molding.

Lurking in what I guess I'll call the Mirror World before popping out over in Taravesh. Your call as to where! Distortion [+2] and Madness [+2] to draw twisted and crazy souls to me so that I might teach them the secrets of the Void.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Khali - Tavaresh, Nightmare Town?

Khali's form was a silhouette, a tear in the fabric of reality, an opening to Nothing. To look too long was to court Madness.

"Long have you waited, and long have I sought, for those whom could be trusted with the secrets I have brought! I have come, winged beast, to grant you a boon. Come, I shall share with you the secret of the Void..."

Edit: nevermind, let's teach about Pylons first, then we can give the dragon powers. Void [+2] and Madness [+2] to teach everyone, including the dragon, about PYLONS PYLONS PYLONS.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hooray! Good game. Thanks for all your hard work, Hikaizer.

• Locked thread