Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Ilvis - Halfway out of Harvan and in sight of the border

Taking a deep breath as I take stock of my chances I steel my resolve, drawing strength from the fact that the Sword lies buckled firmly at my side. It's kind of comforting actually in a heavy, metal, dangerously sharp sort of way, but that's not at all how it feels at all when I'm holding it. I guess that's part of the sacred magic?

Do it right, Ilvis. You only get one chance to make a first impression and knights don't cry when their horses get shot by bandits hungry for gold and probably other horrible things besides. Knights don't cry.

"I'm sorry Chestnut."

Dismounting from Chestnut's still warm remains I give her one last pat as I stare downfield at the bandits, gauging the distance between us. Three men, mounted, unarmored. Maybe five good sized paces before I'm in the middle of them. Those bows will do them little good in close quarters if I charge them hard and now, and with any luck my armor will turn any arrows they manage to loose beforehand. Gotta take the biggest one first since he's the leader. Knock him down so that the others are less likely to flee, slide around the side, cut the stirrups on the one on the right, wheel around using the horse as cover to smack the last one on the head with the hilt of my sword overhand like a hammer. Just like one of Dad's stories.

Standing at a swagger I raise my sword in challenge. Knights swagger right? Because of the uh, downstairs equipment?

"You'll pay for your crimes, varlets!"

Ugh. Varlet? Who even says varlet in this day and age? Can't let my voice crack, gotta make this a manly roar of challenge... Aaaah nothing for it, just gotta charge and charge fast and charge NOW!

Action: Defeat bandits with righteous application of sword and force, so that they may be brought to justice for the crime of horse-murder banditry.
Doctrine: Non-lethal assault with the intent to disable
Priorities: Shock and Awe mortal opponents with overwhelming force, disabling or otherwise removing their ability to resist, escape, or commit further evil misdeeds.

+4 Martial Training: Dad's talked me through doing this hundreds of times. Bandits are easy. Bandits are weak and cowardly and unarmored and unless they've got friends hiding in the underbrush in ambush I just need to cut off their retreat and knock them down hard enough with a body check. Or an armored glove to the lower center mass. Or a strike to the downstairs. Thinking on it, Dad must really dislike bandits for some reason. Most of his stories involve smacking bandits in the downstairs region. Small wonder though if they go around shooting peoples' horses to death.

+4 Champion: No need to sweat it, really! This is going to be just like the tourney. Gotta unseat an armed rider from foot, only there's three of them. And they have bows. And they might surround me. Guess I'm going to have to hit very, very hard.

+2 Sacred Sword: Flat of the sword. Gotta remember to hit them with the flat of the sword if they're to be taken in and tried for murdering Chestnut general purposes of justice. Or interrogating them about their bandit activities and so forth. Either way, definitely gotta remember to use the flat, non-killing end of the blade.

Puppies are dicks posted:

Ilvis Alicenta Fiore du Valiere, Eisner Faust

+2 Fifth Daughter of a Noble House: That's me, fifth of five sisters. Our dad's not really very pleased at that, you know the whole not having any male heirs to pass on the family name to and all. I think he's going to adopt one of my sisters' husbands officially eventually, but generally speaking it's not that big of a deal yet since he's still relatively young and healthy. But yeah! I've got a good idea of what forks to use and what a viscount is and all that. My granduncle is a Viscount actually...

+4 Martial Training: So as it happens, Dad didn't really like the prospect of not having anybody to pass on his 'legendary battle experiences' and I was the only one who was halfway interested in war stories and swordplay. Mum didn't like it, but since I'm so far down the line of succession it hardly matters what I do with my private time anyway does it? I spent a lot of time hanging around with Dad and his old warsworn growing up, and I reckon I've gotten as much good training in as any squire out there.

+4 Champion: So here's the part that's a secret. Well, maybe not quite a secret anymore. Last week there was a grand tourney and Lisbeth bet me I couldn't put on boy's armor win it on a lark, and well... turns out I'm actually really good at this fighting stuff. Either that or all the knights I faced were pretty much rubbish. I kind of smashed through all of them and was granted the Champion's beret thing. But it's ok! I was wearing my helmet and Daveron's old armor, so they don't know it's me! Still, I think someone might suspect that it's me underneath the helmet though since Daveron was busy passed out beneath a bench at the time. They call me Eisner Faust and although technically speaking girls aren't allowed to be Champions, I don't think there's any specific law prohibiting it. Just gotta walk with a swagger and keep my helmet on is all.

+2 Sacred Sword (supernatural power): Yeah there's just the one other thing, you know how I won that grand tourney last week? I kind of originally went in order to cheer for my cousin Daveron, only he broke his sword accidentally and I had to run off and find him a replacement. There was an alleyway, and an old woman, and some sort of mystic fog, a brief transformation into a squirrel, and long story short there's this Sacred Sword thing and I'm supposed to go on a mystic quest of knight errantry with it righting wrongs and slaying evil. It's apparently quite magical and sacred. Certainly very sharp though.

-2 Innocent: What do you mean I have no experience with the way the world works? I know plenty of things about the world. I've bought my own lunch before you know, and I know how to dress my horse and how babies are made, thanks very much. We live in Arandia... and our nearest neighbors are the kingdom of...

Personality/Core Values: Optimistic Heroism. There's evil out there and someone needs to slay it. I'm going to ride out on my horse, find things that need slaying and well, do the whole business.

What was I doing the morning after starfall? Saying goodbye to my sister Lisbeth as I pack my bag and saddle my horse in the early morning. It's a bit hard to sneak out in full armor and atop a warhose, but considering the alternative is hanging around and facing Mum I'm happy to try my best. I'm honestly planning on being at least halfway out of Harvan and in sight of the border before Mum notices I'm gone.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis - Halfway out of Harvan and in sight of the border

"You... yield?"

Wait, bugger whats the bit that comes next? Do I have to make him kneel and swear an oath here? that guy's head just came off who knew swords really were so sharp No, that's not right. He's a commoner and a bandit besides so they don't get to swear oaths the squelch! Dad never said anything about the squelchy noise Bollocks he's looking up at me right now better say something quick before he catches on that I've no idea what comes next-

"Very well, I accept your surrender."

Sheathing the Sword, I stare down at the man as he cowers in the dirt.

"I'll grant you your life for now, but in exchange I expect you to abide by the terms of your parole. Which are to obey my lawful commands until I can deposit you in the nearest gaol. Now dig. We're going to bury your two friends and Chestn- my horse."

I gulp, trying to keep my voice steady, deep, and appropriately manly as I point to a patch of soft dirt nearby with a mailed glove.

"Make no mistake, I'll cut you down at the first sign that you play me false. But dig and I'll help. Better a shallow grave than leaving them out for the crows. The other two... what were their names? Have you been bandits long?"

We're going to dig some graves. Well, he's going to dig a grave and I'm going to help. How hard can it be anyway? Lacking shovels and uh, gravedigging tolls it's going to have to be shallow graves all around but while we're at it he might as well tell me about the other two dudes and why they got into banditry in the first place. Are there any other bandits around? Have they got a bandit lair or loot stashed someplace? Also at some point in the talking and digging I'll round up those horses and tie them down someplace to make sure they don't wander off.

+4 Martial Training- Digging holes and shovelling poo poo. Dad's talked about how important it is to dig entrenchments and shovel your own poo poo before in a pinch and I've seen which end of a shovel goes into the ground before. Haven't got any shovels here, but uh well we can make do with some pointed sticks and this guy's hands right?

Action: Dig some shallow graves for Chestnut and the unnamed bandits, while also interrogating the surviving bandit about their operation(if any).
Priorities: Dig holes, extract useful intelligence from captive.
Doctrine: Try not to cry and look like a girl who just accidentally killed two men in a swordfight. Also see that the dead receive something resembling a proper burial.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 19, 2012

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Roadside in northernmost Arandia)

Giving him a shrug before I drive three wooden markers into the freshly turned earth, I motion for the man to stand where I can see him while I carve out some sort of epitaph for these graves.

CHESTNUT- WARHORSE
LARS- BORN POOR DIED BANDIT
GUNNAR- BORN POOR DIED BANDIT

"I suspect you're lying to me. But whether you're being truthful or not, these men are dead anyway and deserve . You realize of course, they're probably going to take one of your hands or severely fine you back at the town. Worst case scenario you're due for a date with the gallows..."

Brushing the soil from my gloves I gather up the horses and climb atop the sturdiest looking one, loosening the reins of the others so that they can follow at a slow trot.

"Now, I'll give you a choice. Lead me to the other bandits and help me capture or slay them and in return I shall speak with the town guards and ask them for clemency on your behalf. Or not, in which case we're bound for town and you for a probable and unpleasant experience in gaol."

Loosening the blade at my side I look down at him expectantly.

"Keep in mind that I will consider any attempt to flee or otherwise escape justice as you breaking the terms of your parole. The penalty for which is death."

Don't think I have anything to throw here. He can lead me to those other bandits and we can bring them to justice, or we're going to town and he can face the mercies of feudal law on his own. I will ride him down non-lethally if he does decide to do a runner, but hopefully digging three graves (and one of them horse-sized at that) has worn him down physically/mentally a bit.

+2 Sacred Sword (divine):Gonna smack him with the flat of the blade if he decides he wants to get clever.
+4 Martial Training (mortal): Ride him down and give him a walloping if it looks like he's leading me into an ambush or is about to run off.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Forest south of Harvan)

Repressing the initial urge to cringe at the noise, I slide the Sword carefully and quickly out of its sheath and point it at the bandit before ducking into the woods towards the sounds of uh... combat?

"You- stay put."

Dad's talked me through it dozens of times, not counting all those times we played Bandits & Knights in the woods outside of town. Just gotta use the trees for cover and remember to watch out for my feet. Watch the feet, Ilvis! Try not to trip like a moron and you'll do just fine!

Taking care not to trip against an errant root or something, I pick my way over while trying not to clomp around like a clumsy idiot who's bound to catch an arrow in the throat.

Action: Charge in and sword some dudes.
Doctrine: Swording dudes (give it a crack with using the flat of the blade like before) while taking care not to eat an arrow to the face
Traits: +2 Sacred Sword- Flat of the blade, not the blade. Gotta remember to turn the blow so that they only get broken bones and not that other thing
+4 Martial Training- Fighting in the woods on uneven terrain? Nothing to it.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Woods south of Harvan)

"Daveron?! What are you doing out here- Erm, I mean, greetings Ser Daveron. It is good to see you."

Theatrically deep voice ringing clearly false inside my helmet, I pray silently to whatever gods are watching that he takes the hint and doesn't break my clever ruse. After waiting expectantly for a moment to see if he does, I turn back towards the bandit presumably still cowering in the woods.

"You can come out now. Baldos was it? Your former master Baldos lies beaten at the bottom of one of these pits. I'll need your help in dragging him out and tying him up while he's still unconscious. And any of the rest of you who are still alive too. If you've any ill-gotten loot or further companions hiding in the woods we'll have to bring both to light, but otherwise it's all over for you lot."

Welp, looks like this is a win for us! :D Right then, since it doesn't take any relevant traits or rolls to do otherwise mundane stuff, I'll just get Billy the ex-Bandit to come along and help me dig out/tie up his former peers. We're going to go through their lair for loot, captives, anybody else still hanging and then afterwards walk them into town.

http://imgur.com/Iffbe

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"WRHAGH HOFF HOFF COFF COUGH!"

Hearing him sound out the first syllables of my name, I break out into a fit of (hopefully) realisitic and loud coughing, trying to drown out the sound of Daveron's words so that they don't reach the ears of any indiscreet listeners.

"Ahem. Herm, well. Cough."

Oh bugger, people don't actually SAY "cough" when they cough do they? Stupid Daveron, why can't you just take the drat hint! Quick, say something manly before the whole clever disguise thing falls through. Manly voice, deep voice, here we go-

"YES! Well, many of them will likely face the gallows unless someone speaks up for them and pays the fine for their crimes. Ahem. Just getting a bit of phlegm out of my throat here. I've given this man here my promise that I'll plead for clemency on his behalf, maybe they'll let him off with a maiming or some sort of flogging. If you feel it necessary, I'm sure that between the two of us we could make a very strong case that their leader bears the greatest responsibility for their crimes."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"What? Oh Well, let that serve as a lesson to you to... not be a horrible person and a bandit. I guess just the same though we'll have to drag him out of the pit and haul him, mm, them back to town. There's probably going to be some sort of punishment even if he is already dead. You might as well gather him up alongside the rest of the stuff and I just need to discuss something with Ser Daveron here..."

Grabbing Daveron by the arm I lean in close, ignoring the cloud of alcoholic fumes emanating from him as usual as I whisper in a low tone.

"Daveron, you might not have noticed but I'm trying to go in disguise here. There was this old woman and a squirrel and a magic sword and I'll tell you later but it's complicated so don't ruin this for me ok? And keep in mind I'm trying to keep this all a secret from my Mum so just keep it under your hat for now ok? It's. A. Secret."

Well zombie246 maybe you can claim a bounty for the dude's head? Either way though, load em up home we go. Dude you gotta be cool ok? I've got this secret identity thing and I don't need you blowing it for me and making me look bad in front of the surviving bandit. Be cool. Otherwise home we go. Feudal justice being what it is they probably will want to put the guy's corpse through some sort of horrible sham punishment process and in the least it's still better than leaving all these bodies out here in the woods to rot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJGgS9wIJiI

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis - (Arandia, Woods South of Harvan)

"Wait what are you-"

Wait, what is he-

"Oooh, somehow that's even worse than what I had in mind. Ugh well yeah. Ok. Let's just uh, get a go on then. Ahem. You there! Move it! And pile them up afterwards, we'll just drop them into one of these pits here and push something over it and we're moving out."

Ah well. Mass grave it is then. Nothing particularly shameful or wrong about that. Sometimes you're in a hurry and you need a burial dirty and quick, or you're using

M: +4 Martial Training to otherwise stay busy and don't want to watch a belligerent drunk lop heads and hands off of corpses. Sometimes part of doing soldier's work involves burying dudes in a hurry and also not puking at post-mortem mutilation.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Woods South of Harvan)

"Ugh, you know what? That's it for today. I think we should just head back to town. You have any argument there?"

Biting back the bile in my throat I stand, trying my best not to turn away from the grisly task or vomit up all over the inside of my helmet. Looking at the surviving bandit on his knees as he retches into the freshly turned dirt I swallow dryly with the urge to do the same before pointing towards the laden horses imperiously.

"No? Well that's a plan then! Let's get a move on."

Hm... I think digging one mass grave per day is about one too many. Might be time to head on home and take a bath, have some lunch. Maybe instead of lunch just a drink of water. Back to town we go, double quick!god I hope we don't run into more people to kill in the woods I rather don't want to dig any more graves today

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Yes, bandit hunting. It's a dreadful shame that he couldn't find his cousin isn't it? As for this fellow here..."

Speaking loudly and pointedly I pull up the arms of the surviving bandit, showing the guard that his hands are securely bound.

"Bandit. The only one of them to surrender peaceably, and for that I've promised to see that he gets some measure of mercy compared to what the others got. See for yourself what happened to the rest of the band."

Suppressing a shudder I nod towards Daveron's grisly trophies and nudge my horse forward.

"Ser Daveron clearly needs to go and see about claiming his bounty. You'll be happy to help him with that won't you?"

+4 Champion to wow the locals, feudal justice being of a pretty rough sort and all maybe we can get the guy off with just a dunking or good public flogging because someone important is asking nicely for it?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Brightening at the prospect of avoiding further complications, I slap the bandit on the back and continue trotting my newly claimed horse through the gate and in the direction of the marketplace.

"Look at that, what luck. Didn't I tell you that surrender was the best option? It's likely enough that you'll get off without losing any major limbs or being harmed very much at all."

Leaning in my saddle and snagging a pair of apples from a vendor's stall, I drop a coin behind us and offer the bandit a bite.

"Now I'm not a legal expert of any kind, but seeing as how one of us may soon be flogged and branded painfully in an uncomfortable place I figure the least I can do is stand you a snack. Apple? Oh! There's also the matter of all the stuff you guys stole. You wouldn't happen to remember what was taken from whom at all would you? We could probably take off a few lashes or something if enough people get their stuff back. You guys didn't straight out kill anybody you met right? I think we'd have heard about it if there were a band of vicious murderers hanging out in the woods, and the Duchess would have sent out some troops to root you out by now if you had."

Medieval punishments are public and brutal aren't they? How about we take him to some sort of marketplace and do the business there? Flogging is brutal but mostly harmless in comparison to what else he could get for being a bandit, so if he gets one of those I'd call it a satisfactory resolution for the both of us. We can also take the opportunity to make it public that if anybody wants to come forth and claim goods lost to these particular bandits they should make the effort to do so now.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"What me? I'm a uh... knight errant. Eisner Faust, remember? I won the gold ring?"

Oh balls have they already figured it out? What am I going to do if somebody gets word to Mu-

Catching a shiver I drop the apple in the dirt as the worst feeling of goosebumps ever crawl up my spine. Grimacing within my helmet as the feeling subsides and settles into a strange and painful cramp in the pit of my stomach I look down at the expectant faces of the townsfolk.

"But right, so! This man here is a bandit! Apparently he's part of a band who have robbed and wronged many of you! Having caught him and exterminated the rest of his compatriots with the help of the brave Ser Daveron, he must pay the price for his crimes! We live in a society of laws, which would have justice wrought against those who do ill."

Leading the man to a post in the center of the square, I tie him down and raise my voice again to the crowd.

"So then, a flogging! Recount your crimes, Bandit! And repent of them that you may sin no more."

I'd like to take an action to construct a thesis statement wherein it is clear the best way for Dr. Banditon Ph.D to pay for his crimes is to be pelted by stones, rotten fruit, and dung, and then painfully whipped in a public spectacle. You know that kinky scene in Mel Gibson's Passion movie? Let's go for one of those as the goal here. I'll talk up the banditry and subsequent bandit exterminations that Daveron and I went through to build their trust in how totally awesome and non-soft on crime we are, and how Professor Lecturer Banditskiwiez surrendered in exchange for this gentle clemency so it's only fair he get off with a lesser punishment and I promised it to him besides.

+4 Champion: Come on guys, SOME of you have to remember me from that tournament right? It was only like a few days ago and I totally kicked rear end. Wasn't I really cool in that? I totally dominated all of those bigger, burlier dudes. In our primitive medieval society that makes me a trustworthy guy worth reckoning right?

+4 Martial Training: Dad says a lot of the time all that stuff about comportment, military bearing, and having an air of authority is really just pretending you've got big brass ones and faking that you know what you're doing all the time. I've practiced doing speeches like this dozens of times. in front of a mirror in my bedroom Gotta establish authority, have a plan, and keep my voice shouty. Easy as pie.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Oh my gosh. Really? Come on people. Really?"

I stare downwards at the fallen members of the mob. The horrible, duplicitous, bad people who lied and tried to take what was clearly not theirs.

"We live in a society of laws, and as a group we agree to hold to those laws in the belief that if we do the natural result is a more just and fair world for us all. Look I'm not going to tell you that life has to be all roses and honour. But really now, wouldn't you rather live somewhere people do the right thing because that way everybody gets treated right? You really shouldn't take things that don't belong to you"

(Crapcrapcrap! Why is it glowing and making that noise? Aaaah it's on fire why is it on fire why am I raising it up and-)

Raising the sheathed Sword aloft I strike a dramatic pose almost involuntarily, bathing the entire square in it's surprisingly warm light.

(Oh this doesn't burn at all...)

"Let those who would do ill beware. I, Eisner Faust have come to give succor to the weak, make right which is wrong, and destroy the wicked. Repent your misdeeds, lest you be burned by the light of Justice. Repent, that you may be forgiven!"

Helmet still ringing from the sudden and bold declaration I look down into the faces of the mob, halfway between expectant and angry. Blanching slightly I wonder how many of them are the former and not the latter, and pray that enough of them remember cheering so enthusiastically cheering for me just a few days ago.

Ilvis will wield the Sacred Sword and try to strike a sufficiently inspirational pose. Maybe the light burns the eyes of the unrighteous or something unless they repent, and count on the tide of public goodwill from being Champion to not look like a complete git waving around a glowstick in the middle of the marketsquare shouting about Repentance.

+2 Sacred Sword (supernatural power): Oh balls, it's glowing! drat look at it go. What's that uh, singing noise? Aaaah, might as well hold it aloft and kind of hope for the best here. The old woman did say that it was both amazing and magical. Maybe it can... show these people what it means to not be such a bunch of lying jerks and uh, shower them with the light of righteousness? Righteousness is sacred, amazing, and magical right?
+4 Champion: Hey! I'm the Champion aren't I? That's got to count for something doesn't it? I mean, all these people were just cheering and calling my name just a few days ago so it probably looks like I know what I'm doing and

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan) Green Dragon Inn some time later in the day after the judging

"...and so I pulled it loose and well, the rest is pretty straightforward I think."

Plonking the Sword onto the tabletop between us, I looked across the table at Civar and his strangely dressed friend.

"There were a lot of things the old woman said which don't make sense to me, things I saw in the mist which I've really no clue how to interpret just yet but hey! You guys are from the southern baronies! And you're a traveler right? That must be pretty exciting and rewarding of a lifestyle, oh no thanks I can't eat and drink in front of others it's a uh... knightly oath. Because I'm a knight errant see, and there's all these restrictions until I've reached the end of my quest to..."

Breathing an inward sigh of relief that the byzantine codes of knightly conduct can be oriented to justify any combination of strange behaviours, I changed the subject quickly.

"And yeah the Sword! I'm not sure how much help it would be to you to look it over, but it's certainly magic and very, very sharp. There was a long list of prose and flowery language describing it and what it's supposed to be able to do originally, but I didn't get a very good look at the time since I was in a bit of a hurry. I've certainly established that it's very, very sharp and I can do this-"

Raising the blade halfway I project a beam of light, illuminating and blinding a man across the crowded Inn in the act of pickpocketing an old drunk.

"Something to do with Justice and doing the right thing seems to work usually, which works out well enough for me. The world's a terrible chaotic place full of horrible things and people who commit despicable acts which cry for attention."

LLSix I think the way things are looking, waiting for our respective schedules to overlap will prove to be impractical. I'm willing to handwave away a reasonable and introductory encounter if you are, and am willing to back your Forgelord plan. We could even make an event of it or maybe have zombie246 throw down the funds for it using his Nobleman trait. I spoke with him about it last night and he said he'd back my play officially once we get the ball rolling, and it wouldn't be weird for you to take the lead with whatever suggestions you've got as well as if Witchy Witch has any comments to chime in on the conversation.

Officially, my Divine traits are Sword/Justice, and my Mortal traits are Champion/Military Background/Nobleman's Daughter although I'd like to keep that last one under my hat for as long as possible and not tell anybody about it until forced to. I could totally go for some sort of defensive gear which is Order-reinforced and/or trips up people taking a swing at me whilst I'm on a job for Justice. Or heck, if you're taking custom requests I would like to eventually request some sort of mechanical steed to replace poor, dearly departed Chestnut.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Well, ok if that's what you need me to do I can give it a go."

Tapping the Sword against the anvil, I look it over carefully again before handing it off to Civar for a look.

"There's definitely something about the metal, and the feel of it has a uh... I don't know. It's hard to describe. A really real sort of... Swordliness you know? What did you need with all this other stuff? I got everything you asked for on the list, got more than my fair share of strange looks doing it too."

Watching him and Daveron pump away at the bellows before they begin banging away at the lump of metal, I marvel at the strange and symmetrical lines made by the sparks as they fly. Reaching over to the forge I place my hands against the side, breathing in the hot air and as the warmth pools in my stomach and leaves my body for the forge, alarming the others as the flames flare high suddenly.

"No, wait. Don't stop. It feels right."

I will follow LLSix's suggestion and contribute the following towards the MASTER HAMMER

Justice +2: Justice reinforces Order, to grant strength and rightness of purpose to the Bearer of the Hammer at his appointed task. Without Justice there can be no Order, or... maybe it's the reverse?
Champion +4: Yeah I've got prize money leftover from the Grand Tourney, and it's certainly enough to buy all the uh.. saltpeter? Coke? And whatever else it was you needed right?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Scratching at my itchy cheeks, I frown as the curls of my mustache reach up and tickle my nose-

(WHAT?!)

Slapping both my hands against my cheeks, I look down in horror at lush growth of hair peeking out from between the large, manly hands. Pressing further down, I confirm the presence of an Adam's apple for a moment my head turns further down speculatively.

(No, it couldn't be. I mean this doesn't just HAPPEN. That's not what I think it is. No.)

"Daveron, I need to talk to you in private. RIGHT NOW."

Grabbing Daveron by the arm I drag him behind something in an isolated corner of the forge, stopping to wave amicably at Civar and the still apparently swooning Aideen.

"That was very exciting, thanks! Hang on for just a moment while we have a very special private conference. Just gotta check on one, really private thing."

Grabbing ahold of his cuirass, I hiss as quietly as I can despite my growing alarm. For good measure I pinch my cheek to make sure I'm really awake for double good measure and pinch him hard on the arm too.

"Daveron! First of all, don't scream. I'm not screaming, why would I scream? I'm sober and I'm not panicking, and I'm seeing it, and you, you're seeing it too. I mean, you ARE seeing it too right? This isn't like the time you drank wood varnish and started seeing purple manticores. I've... I've got things, that bristle! Was it the fire? Did you do something? What are we going to do?!"

Hey there, I don't think zombie246 is really available for a chat so it's not a problem if we continue this in bits and pieces via a series of IC posts right?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Ow! You hit me! I can't believe you hit me! Why would you do that?!"

Rubbing my aching jaw I stare up at him in shock before he pulls me up.

"So this wasn't some thing of yours then right? You don't have some sort of mystic prophecy hanging over you about or uh, some sort of magical gender-swapping curse involved with whatever it is you've got going on? The old woman from before turned me into a squirrel and some other things besides, I think to teach me humility or something but even there I was always you know, the same. Down there."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Grrrrwarh!"

Watching Daveron babble incoherently and fumble beneath his breeches with himself I'm struck with a rising sense of outrage which quickly turns into the ordinary kind of rage especially after he belches again and takes yet another drink. Seeing red for the first time in my life I lunge at him, butting him in the stomach and knocking him to the ground, smacking my skull up against his face in my rage.

"WHY! AREN'T! YOU! TAKING! THIS! SERIOUSLY!?"

I hiss out between clenched teeth as I grab his collar and shake him for emphasis.

"I've got, I've got a Ser Wilhelm. Something's not right about all of this and why can't you stop drinking for just one second to help me DEAL! WITH! THIS! TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE!"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"It's not funny, and you can't solve this with drinking."

Muttering darkly beneath my breath I settle into a seat at the bar, nursing a drink some drowsing idiot passes on to me. Despite the horrible taste, I take another pull.

"Why do you do this so often? This stuff's terrible!"

I guess let's go for a scene change to the nearby bar? LLSix I think zombie246 wanted to chain-cast a spell instead of forging an item for his thing, which is nice to get some variety for the plot anyway. The words "Dark Paladin Order" were used, and I think we can throw Sword/Order/Truth/Bad Luck/Justice to make them a holy order of dudes who swore on a sacred sword to y'know do truth and justice stuff even if it means being dicks about it, and who will suffer from terrifyingly bad luck if they break their vows.

How we get there is still a bit up for debate, and I'm still hoping to squeeze out some dialogue before wrapping up the scene. So... let's all get sloshed?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Taking the proffered drink I mask a grimace at the still abominable taste, coughing into my cup when it some of it goes down the wrong tube.

"So uhm, Civar? You're a traveler right? You and your people have a history of ranging far and telling tales? Have you ever heard any tales of magical curses or maybe some sort of prophecy that involves... changes?"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Grasping the cup a little too hard and nearly spilling it in my surprise, I set it on the counter and stare at Civar trying not to look too weirded out about all of this.

(Ok. Be cool Ilvis, you can do this. Don't scare him off, sounds like he knows what's going on here and don't scare him off.)

"Wait so, how did he get better? What happens at the end of the story? Does the Goddess Nike do that? Does she have a uh, temple someplace? Or this... Misfile?"

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 8, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Who me?! Oh no no no, I'm just kind of curious because my interest in prophecies and curses because of my personal involvement with them in the past. I told you about that right? The magic mist and the old woman, and the squirrels? So I've got some familiarity with being transformed into things which I'm normally not. And I was just wondering if there were any long term or negative effects is all. In fact-"

Thinking quickly I take another long drink to buy myself the time to think of something to say, then it hits me, a clever plan. A brilliant plan.

"I've got a friend. And my friend has undergone their fair share of magical transformations too see, and my friend is a little concerned that maybe all the transformations and prophecies can get a bit tangled up and there might be some... unintended consequences? For my friend."

Yeah that makes sense :smug: Smooth move, Ilvis. Smooth move.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Oh! That kind of makes sense. My friend was telling me about some really strange and uncomfortable cramps earlier, and kind a weird feeling towards the north. Sort of like a... sort of like a hole in the world? Like something which was right was suddenly completely wrong? Maybe it is this meinvættr thing you're talking about. That would make a lot of sense in context, I guess."

Taking a deep breath and enjoying the warm flush of my cheeks, I start to doze off slightly with my head between my hands. But then Daveron stands and does a thing. I know this thing. I've been practicing for this thing on my own for like years.

"Wait, what are we doing now? You want to get these guys on the trail of the meinswater or something? Wait, I know what this is. This is one of those things, the founding of a uh... *coughcough* founding of a knightly Order right? Dad told me about this, you got your dire circumstances, and then you got your brave doughty souls, and then you swear an oath to never forsake each other on your swords or whatever is on hand, and then it's Brotherhood all the way down. I got this, I remember how it's supposed to go."

Pushing forward despite the drink still lodged somewhere between my mouth and my throat, I raise my sword somewhat unsteadily as it begins to reflect the wobbly and uneven light of the room.

"Yeah so y'know to swear an oath by the stars above, to defeat all evil within the nation, and also all that other knightly stuff."

Racking my brain for the way this is supposed to go, I think back on Dad's stories about how this is supposed to go, and maybe kind of remember how it went the last time Elspeth and I did this behind the stables with the dog and the farrier's boy.

"And then there's the one about widows, and not leaving a guy behind. And maybe we need some candles? No I think I've got this actually, nevermind on the candles..."

Fair enough to say that Ilvis is slightly harmlessly potted? Because tbh that's the only way I'm comfortable with helping you swear in a band of thieves by any other name which is still just as big a bunch of dicks.

As for what I can throw to help you out,

+2 Sacred Sword: Well it's a thing right? Swearing knightly oaths on swords? I've got a sword right here. It's Sacred and poo poo! Great for consecrating oaths and whatnot I'm sure.
+4 Martial Training: Yeah I definitely remember this part. Dad says when you get a good bunch of lads along with you, sometimes it just feels really right, really team. So then you break out the booze, y'know there's a thing with uh candles? I remember candles too, and then it's oaths. Oaths and brotherhood, pretty sure. There's the one oath about the thing, and not abandoning your buddy. And the other one about widows and stuff...

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

"Well, I don't get it. Looks pretty much the same to me however you cut it. Handy enough little trinkets I suppose."

Tossing the emblem overhand back to the man I borrowed it from, I shrug at Civar blankly.

"Magic eh? Go figure. But yes, I'd be happy to travel north with you Civar but beforehand I just need to see about putting a couple things to rights and find myself a new horse."

Looking down at the heavy saddle left unused in a corner of the forge, I sigh wistfully.

"Poor Chestnut, who would have thought that they'd have gotten quite as lucky as they did with those arrows so quickly. Anyway, no offense to you and your cart and all but I can hardly load up my armour and gear on it and ride into battle can I?"

Rapping my fist softly against the battered wood of the old cart, I grin ruefully.

"Although I suppose we could put some iron plates on here, make it a bit less flammable or something perhaps?"

(Some time earlier? Later? Within a few hours/days of the rest of the post for sure)

"COUGHCOUGHCOUGH!"

Grabbing Aideen firmly by the arm, I lean against her shoulder and cough loudly into my fist.

(Oh balls, what does she know? Does it still show? What about the uh...)

Looking down surreptitiously and coughing again the cover my embarassment, I whisper to her lowly.

"Well uhm, Aideen you know thinking on it I probably should have asked you first since you're a witch and all. But if you don't mind me asking, how much do you know?"

I pale slightly at her mysterious smirk and unmistakable gesture in response.

"Please don't tell anyone else! It's just a bit awkward right now you know having a uh, different biology and all. Being a squirrel or a fish was nothing like this, since even then certain elements of my anatomy were not quite as they are and all, and it's remarkably chafing and turns out the whole silly swagger is an actual thing and there's no possible way I could explain this to my mum but wait! The forge! This is because of what we did in the forge? So I can change it back? That's great!"

Starting back towards the forge I look back at her and wait expectantly.

"What exactly do we need to do? The other witch I met spoke in a lot of riddles and prophecies, most of which I was told would gradually make sense over time anyway but to be quite honest the clearest sentence I ever got out of her was 'Pull the Sword from the anvil' and that was really just the once. Please tell me there's not some sort of magical quest of self realisation and spiritual refinement I need to pass beforehand, I'll try my hand at solving riddles if I must."

Alright LLSix, I'll pass the ball off to you. But yeah I'm thinking Robo-Swordunicorn of Justice? Go all-in on a divine action? Tell you what though, Ilvis will be steering well clear of any forges for the duration just in case.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 13, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan)

Watching Civar at his work, I hem and haw as I help out as best I can without getting too close to the forge in case there are any further unintended consequences. Seeing the form of the horse take shape, I can't help but think of all the mythical beasts and peculiar animals from Dad's old books.

"Civar, do you happen to know what a Unicorn is? It's one of those really awkward heraldic beasts, sort of like a massive horse with a uh sword in the front."

Laying my sword across the top of the soon-to-be-head? helm? of the thing, I mouth the words to the inscription along the blade and whisper a prayer. The parts I can make out properly anyway.

"mumblemumble Justice... I think it would be useful actually, after all we put spikes all over the outside of a normal warhorse's armour anyway right? And I think it quite cuts the right sort of image, sets the right kind of standard you know?"

I'd like to use the following Divine traits in aid of Civar's act of awe-inspiring creation of the Swordicorn of Justice

+2 Sacred Sword: Alright so this is going to sound absolutely ridiculous but uhm, if you're really serious about building some sort of mechanical horse I want it to have a sword on top. In the front like a Unicorn. It's just a thing. Unicorns are manly right? Maybe even build a slot in there on top where I can lock my sword in for extra measure?
+2 Justice: S'made for justice isn't it? Temperament-wise anyway, and really part of the worth of a good warhorse is how it manages to stay cool under pressure and is intelligent enough to follow the urgings of it's rider. An ordinary warhorse would be pretty drat excited by the prospect of riding downrange at somebody in battle, and the Swordicorn is probably going to be the same right? For Justice purposes. So I suppose if I could, I'd empower the Swordicorn with a tenacity and drive to get ridden and to do Justice to things. Which thinking on it probably makes sense with the other prophecies I'm apparently still well and caught in the middle of.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 13, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan Duchy)

"Haha what? Can he do that? I mean, a normal warhorse certainly has that sort of temperament so I guess it's not too far off that one made of swords would be too."

Laughing along with the others at the Unicorn's antics and general distemper, I help Daveron's fallen knight up and dust him off with my other hand.

"Yeah they bite like a bastard if you don't come up on them the right way. Oh wait, give that back to me for a moment. Let's see what happens if I do this-"

Acting on a hunch I grab the coin back and fumble around the base of the thing's neck, trying to find the gap I saw earlier when I was out giving it a ride.

"I think I saw a slot up here, maybe a gap that will fit one of these just right..."

Yeah I'm going to slot one of those copper coin things of Civar's right in there. Since he made the thing in the first place, maybe there's a convenient spot to bang it in with the hilt of my sword or something? Let's find out! :science:

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, Harvan Duchy)

The conversation with Aideen still fresh in my mind, I sigh in frustration and give the coin another tug. Nope, still stuck. (chat with Aideen below if you're interested)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16QWPYMCfvVuD0dWpWcpuqeJ9XUNCLffXy8I1FLfZAT4/edit?pli=1

"Oh come on! Damned thing is stuck."

Climbing aboard the mechanical horse, I steady it as best as I can as it hobbles awkwardly around the yard apparently expressing displeasure.

"Whoa there, whoa now. Have to see about actually giving you a name some point, can't just call you 'Hey you' all the time now can I? And for that matter just how the hell is it that you even have moods and expressions in the first place? Well enough I suppose that Civar went the extra mile and gave you eyebrows I suppose."

Once it settles down I begin the careful, deliberate, and careful process of prying the coin out with the point of my sword.

"Come on you bastard, get out of there. I know I saw a slot around here and a clever fellow like Civar probably doesn't do things by halves. See if I can do this without losing a finger or two..."

Brushing my fingers against the coin, I reach out with my mind in the hopes that Civar is still out there and listening.

Civar? Are you out there Civar? I kind of feel like an idiot to say this, but I thought I saw a slot for one of those coin things on the back of the mechanical horse, and now it seems to be just a bit stuck. There isn't a release switch or catch I should be using is there?

Yeah I got nothing to really throw here afaik, I guess I could try the following to try and get the coin out and if that works push it back into place again. Maybe I can call Civar for advice via the communication ability and have him talk me through it?

+2 Sacred Sword: Really just gotta use the tip here to slide under there and push it out. Try be careful and not cut my drat thumb off or something.
+4 Martial Training: Well, part of a soldier's life (as Dad tells it) is the part that comes after y'know with the drinking and the singing and so forth. There's also the looting and burying your dead and Dad and his pals did have a couple recommendations to make on how to get shiny bits of thing out of other things.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia, the Order's Keep)

"Oh come on Daveron, don't lag about! I swear you're worse than Lisbeth when it comes to packing for a trip and leaving on time. I mean honestly, what have you even got to bring exactly?"

Hefting the saddlebags on his horse experimentally, I roll my eyes at the completely unsurprising slosh.

"It's all booze anyway. It's not like we can't find any on the road. And enough with the special orders already, look I'll tell you what we can do-"

Spotting one of the non-oaf knights of the Order hanging about in the courtyard, I startle him amidst his morning wash with a hearty shout.

"Hoy! You still got your coin then? Hang on to it and stick around here so we have a line home just in case things turn wrong or something comes up. We'll stay in touch."

Climbing aboard the unicorn, I lock my sword into place alongside it's glistening sword-like horn and grin as it begins to glow.

"I might have a Ser Wilhelm and all right now, but to be honest with you I'm still worried as hell that my mum's right around the corner with some sharp questions having recognised this armour or my voice somehow. Staying on the move, wrongs to right, people to save, monsters to kill. That's what being a knight errant is all about isn't it?"

Watching the blazing light waxing and waning as the unicorn tosses its head, I give in to the hunch and nudge it along the general direction of the brightest light.

"Now I remember generally we're to meet up somewhere along the north road, but let's see where fate may take us eh?"

As I understand it, zombie246 is going to pack up on his own horse and we'll both generally head northwards after Civar in search of trouble along the way. If/when we hit the timeskip I'd like to use +2 Sacred Sword/+2 Justice to give that knight errantry thing a whack, go about slaying evil buggers and saving towns or so forth. For now though, could I maybe use the same to douse for Things That Need Smiting? I mean there's got to be evil bastards, maidens trapped at the bottom of wells, or villages under threat of uh... dire locusts along the way right?

As long as some of the Magic Coin enabled dudes are around we can stay in touch with the Paladin dudes and give orders from a great distance presumably, so I think we're good. I've still got mine in my pocket, and it's apparently operational despite being slightly mangled so there's that.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Arandia/Eosia border on the old war road)

Taking another sip from the flagon, I grimace.

"why does this stuff always taste like piss? ugh So yeah, that's the plan anyway. Get out there and do Justice-y stuff. Righting wrongs, defending the helpless, that sort of thing. You wouldn't believe it I don't think but my Sword here's actually got some sort of magical Justice thing going on with it, and I think my horse does too."

Raising the sheathed Sword aloft, I give it a twirl so that the ironwork along the scabbard catches the light.

"Yeah I haven't named him yet, kind of odd really but oh-"

Setting the flagon on the counter I stand firmly as I feel the by now familiar rush of heat coming.

Well since we're waiting anyway, might as well have a drink, trot my horse around the yard of the hostel, and tell the locals about my general knight errantry kick, see if they've got anything that needs knight-errant doing. Or scratch that, Shock & Awe area effect. Excuse me, are you a yokel? Were your parents both siblings AND cousins? Have you got more toes and extra fingers than you have teeth? Only I'm kind of a knight of Justice and I've got this magical glowing sword and all. Look how awesome it is. Perfectly safe really, unless you're the sort of bastard that needs sorting out.

+2 Sacred Sword: And then the sword just lit up, and BAM! Magic flames which burned the guilty and gave heart to the innocent. No, I'm serious, that part totally happened.
+2 Justice: Really just looking to showcase the magic sword of Justice thing here, and how it's mostly harmless unless you're a dick and since it's for Justice purposes and kind of just a horse, the swordicorn is pretty safe too. Well, unless you're an absolute poo poo who needs Justice-ing that is.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis

Riding away from the border checkpoint, I finger the amulet speculatively.

"You know Civar, I kind of wonder actually how effective this Mark and the amulet may be. He did say that there didn't seem to be any magic about either of us at all, so maybe what you do or my sword aren't really magical at all? Is there some way you can check? Overall I'd say he was a pretty reasonable fellow don't you think? I can appreciate that he doesn't want people riding down the countryside setting things aflame with possibly misunderstood magical abilities, but if there's a mundane explanation it'll probably be easier if and when we run into another Magister."

Picking an apple from a nearby tree, I offer it to Aideen as she sits in the cart.

"Oh, you know what? I just realised we forgot to mention that Aideen was also with us. I guess it's not too important anyway since she wasn't a part of the whole horse thing anyway. Did you get the bit where he mentioned statues coming to life in the capital? Perhaps that's our wrongness in the world in action? I suppose we'll see for ourselves soon enough, although despite my general agreement not to use my sword I'd still like to help people as we go in other, less spectacular ways. It's only right after all."

What do you think LLSix? Could you conduct some sort of research into the principles or operation behind the Mark/the Magister's magic? There must be some sort of rhyme, reason, order to it all right? (Without setting off the alarm or whatever hopefully)

Well I did sort of agree to not haul off and cause trouble/spray possibly dangerous supernatural fire all over everyone so I'll just take a straight out Mortal Action to be helpful and do helpful Knight-Errant things without too much regard for the highness of the deed as we head northwards (and maybe talk about my adventures down south and earn some coin along the way). Helping old ladies cross the street, helping people dig wells, put out fires, diving in front of carts to save orphan children, just ordinary helpful everyday hero sort of stuff. I'd like to use my purely mortal powers to help people as we make our way north, and be reasonable and polite about it as we go.

Mortal Traits

+2 Fifth Daughter of a Noble House: Even though we're in a foreign country and all, there's still such a thing as manners isn't there? Being noble-born is all well and good, but being familiar with things like comportment, courtesy, and uh, that third thing Mum's always on about are always important when getting on with new people regardless of station. Right?
+4 Martial Training: Sometimes a soldier's got to do somewhat less-than-soldierly work. Digging ditches isn't that far off from digging entrenchments, helping lift bales of hay not that far off from carrying your own wood, keeping a cool head in a possibly dangerous and panicky situation is probably the most important thing here. A strong back, a military bearing, and discipline are still helpful outside of combat situations.
+4 Champion: The last bit of this here I think is probably about doing good and setting a good example. That's what being a Champion is about isn't it? Doing well and looking good to others to inspire them also? If I'm putting out a fire or leading the townsfolk in a search for a lost child or something, looking sure enough that others are willing to follow is a good thing I think.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis - Eosia

"Pfft. Legal jurisprudence and unlikely to be attacked my foot."

Muttering beneath my breath as I look over the men gathered from the surrounding villages, I weigh the odds facing us and their somewhat lackluster enthusiasm for what lies ahead. They were all pretty quick to act when faced with crises and problems pertaining to their own individual villages or needs, but none of them really got the idea of what I was trying to explain lo these many weeks. Blowing a breath out between puffed cheeks, I give it another go.

"Hey listen, you guys you live in a society of laws right? And that's good. Presumably we live in an orderly and just society which insures that all persons are granted the same rights and protections under the eye of the law, and that people who do wrong get what's coming to them. But that doesn't always happen, the reeve is drunk on watch, a jailor gets bribed, or the something else happens and it's not fair is it? Sometimes YOU need to do what's right, right now because peoples lives are at stake and there isn't anyone else to do it right? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your system of government, your King, or the Magisters at all, in fact the Magister I met last month was a very reasonable fellow. But the thing is, they're not here right now and there's still things that need to be done. People have to get up in the morning and till the fields, raise their families, deal with their lives hopefully without a bunch of arseholes making a mess of things."

I raise my sword finally after a month's worth of the robbers' den in the distance, feeling that familiar warmth and tingle in my fingertips as I do.

"Robbers and murderers. They're bad people taking advantage of a possibly bad situation, and someone needs to do something about it. We can't very well have people like that springing up all over the place doing whatever they please simply because there isn't anyone stopping them doing so. Someone needs to stop them. Someone needs to do what's right."

Grinning as the feeling flows through me and ignites the blade, I look around at the assembled men and others watching from the periphery.

"So, y'know. Let's have at it then."

Well nothing for it, I'm just going to have to pay the fine or explain to the next Magister that extenuating circumstances required direct action. Let's call it an Inspire action, ignite the flame of RIGHTEOUS JUSTICE in the hearts of a bunch of village dudes from varying villages along my path. In the absence of military patrols or government support, or even with them really, people still need to do the right thing. Gonna light this candle and then move on to hit the town with Civar & Aideen as originally planned, possibly coordinate our meeting up with magic coin telepathy if necessary.

D +2 Sacred Sword: This is my sword, there are many like it but this one is mine. Well not so many like mine specifically, what with the magical fire and the mysterious powers and the special feelings it gives off and all, but the sentiment is still a valid one I think.
D +2 Justice: Really I mean this isn't arcane mysticism or childbirth or anything complex. You see somebody doing something that's completely rubbish, you stop them and tell them that's not acceptable. And y'know, help old ladies cross the road because it's the right thing to do.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis - (Eosia)

"What? My goodness, no. This is actually even worse and more pressing than the bandits. I mean think about it, what kind of person just walks in and kills everybody? You can't do that, it's not right."

Closing the man's eyes I sigh and rise, looking at the uncertainty flickering across their faces.

"Oh notifying the Magisters? I think I've got that covered already. See this thing? It was given to me by a Magister a few months ago, he said that it would alert him or the nearest Magister if there was some sort of magical danger or if I used my powers and well-"

I brandish the flaming sword in my other hand and hold Mark on it's necklace for them to see with the other.

"Clearly magic, and if my suspicions are correct someone else has been using magical powers here already when they murdered all these people. I'm sure the Magisters have been notified and that they'll send someone as soon as they're able. But I mean really, do you think we can take the risk and wait? What if the maniac that did this is headed towards your homes or another settlement? We can't let THIS"

I point, lighting the grisly scene in contrast to the waning light.

"Happen again, even if they are bandits. Now come on, I think I've got an idea. Might even help the Magisters find us even faster. Sacred Sword, guide us to the murderer's path that we may bring him to justice."

Twirling the sword, I whisper a prayer, hoping for a signal or sign that can guide us to the perpetrator of these murders.

Action: Dowse for direction/location of mass murdering dickbag that painted the landscape red.

D: Justice +2- Say what you will about justice and moral grey shades, walking in and killing everybody isn't right. It's not Just, and the crime of mass murder calls to be put right.
D: Sacred Sword +2- It's a magic sword for doing justice-things right? Can it can help point out horrible mass murdering bastards?

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 10, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, south east districts)

"No, none of this seems quite right. Alright I'll tell you what, I'll-"

Sensing a tingling in my pocket I pull out the magical coin Civar minted for me, holding up a hand for silence as I listen to his magical message.

"I'll go to the capital and report this to the Magisters myself, at once. Head back to your homes, make sure your doors and windows are barred at night, keep up your patrols, and please do try to look out for one another."

Whistling for my horse I step back as it bursts into the clearing dramatically, waiting patiently for it to finish cantering and staring down the locals before slipping atop it's back. Leaning forward I whisper into it's metallic ear as I snap the Sword into place.

"To the capital then, I think Civar may have a sudden and dramatic need for a knight in shining armour."

Nah I'll call it good enough for now and head on over to Civar then. Maybe use the coin/horse/sword to zoom in on his location somehow? Might be it works that way if I use all three in conjunction like that? Either way Action: Travel to the capital atop my amazing mechanical horse, homing in Civar (presumably uncontested).

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, south east districts)

"Ow!"

Doubling over in my saddle from the pain, I grab the hilt of the Sword safe in its socket to steady myself. I look down at the ground rushing past us at a (albeit respectable) canter and urge the horse to go faster with my heels as I climb back up.

"Did you feel that too? Can you feel that? Whatever the hell it is, clearly we need to get there faster. Come on now drat it, are you a tireless mechanical steed or an old sorrel nag? Go faster, drat it! Faster!"

Leaning into it's back, I feel the familiar heat again and let the fire pass through the Sword, through me, and into the massive thudding hooves of the horse beneath. Not at all light headed despite riding all night I relax and grin as each impact gains force and momentum, synchronising with the beat of my heart.

"Hiya! Avenger away!"

You know if I was really clever I'd have done this last round to save myself the extra travel time, but really it works better here from a narrative/dramatic perspective. Civar's message goes out and then all of a sudden we get ANOTHER crampy no good achy tooth not so fresh hurty tummy feeling? Gosh I hope the two events aren't somehow connected.

Action: Make the journey of many days a matter of a single day/hours by RIDING HARD FOR JUSTICE straight for Civar.

D: Justice +2- There are evil deeds afoot in this land, of that there is clearly no doubt. Our cause is just, and so long as the wretched and evil ply their works we must not, cannot submit to rest or surcease. For Justice! Robot horse aweigh!
D: Sacred Sword+2- As Ilvis leaned lightly against the metallic back of his steed a shine, a spark caught at the edge of the sword atop it's brow. The light, once merely reflective of the bright day, rose to a blinding incandescence as the beast began to pick up speed until such at that observers and passerby could only make out a bright blur as it passed them by, followed by a thunderous clapping of hoofbeats in its wake. It rocked as it drove through the land, smashing through lesser obstacles but leaving people, livestock, and buildings strangely intact in its wake.

??? Swordicorn- Well I'M drat well not going to tire out and flinch on this ride, and as far as I know a metal horse doesn't need to eat, sleep, drink, crap, or stop. So we're drat well going to ride until we get there.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 18, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis - (Eosia, Eosis, Vanthos' Bookstoore)

"Oh hello Civar, you're alright then? Before we get too further here can I just make sure of one thing? Just a moment ago did you happen to feel a sort of horrible twisting aching gut feeling, like a cramp but worse? Sort of like the world's gone wrong altogether? And then it almost happened again right after?"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis - (Eosia, Eosis, Vanthos' Bookstore)

"Ah excellent, preempting my second question then. We're in agreement that whoever is doing it and whatever it is, clearly it needs to stop. But demons. I can do demons. Find them, interrogate them, help their victims, and put them (the demons anyway) to the sword?"

I swish my blade experimentally, watching the rainbow flicker as it sings through the air.

"Anyway, inside the store you say? Well then, I'm more than happy to lead. I trust the two of you at my back."

Sliding off Avenger, I check my vambraces just in case before grabbing my shield from its back and kicking the door of the shop open.

"Guess it's time to hit the books?"

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 25, 2013

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos)

"Looks like he's done a runner, Civar. Tell you what though, I have an idea. This demon, and having not seen him in person I'm going to have to make some assumptions on the classical definition of the word, he's a real bastard right? Hurt people, done horrible things? This demon, this uh..."

I push onward through the statement, wracking my mind for whether or not Civar had actually given the demon a name or much of a description and come up completely blank.

"Well he's out there and he's got victims left behind here like..."

Moving almost by instinct, I follow the soft tug of the Sword to a particularly emaciated young man at the edge of the growing crowd outside the shop. I kneel in the road in front of him, leaning on the Sword as it shines opalescent in the noonday sun and begin to question him quietly.

"The man who used to run this place, he's a bad man right? He's done things, caused other people to do evil things, and hurt other people simply because he was evil and because he could. What's your name lad? You can call me Eisner Faust, and d'you know what I think? I think he shouldn't be able to get away with it, should he? Put your hand up onto my Sword here, see how it glows in the light? It's a magical sword, sworn to Justice and putting right to wrong and if you hold the image of that man in your mind and make a prayer I shall swear an Oath. Knights swear oaths don't they? Everybody knows that. I'll find the evil jerk that's hurt you and those others, give him a couple in the face, drag him back here in chains, and otherwise bring him to justice, maybe stab him a little bit if things get rough. Sound fair?"

So here's my plan:

Find a member of the crowd who has seen the demon/is a victim of his wretched, evil misdeeds and make a solemn Knightly Oath to find the culprit and put prod to buttock for Justice purposes. LLSix you can ride pillion and I'll back up the Amazing Swordicorn up the road a ways, we get a good hearty running start, hit 88 mph, and then I'll cut a path in reality straight towards the son of a bitch gangbusters style. Or Kool-Aid Man, I've heard that's also a popular choice.

D: Sacred Sword +2: Points the way to victory, lights my path, cuts a small-ish and usually (well I say usually but I've done this all of once and it seemed to be ok then and I'm not going to question a going thing if it works) self closing rent in reality between two points of travel.
D: Travel +2: So here's the point of travel, or rather the thing I've got about using uh well points of travel. I've got a pretty solid starting point here, and it's just a question of building up the momentum and force to move fast enough and hard enough to our destination which I'm still a little bit vague on. But the Sword will definitely point us in the right way, and the sometimes a journey is not exactly about knowing the physical location of the destination but the uh, spiritual and technical aspects of it. You can set out on a trip to get to the top of a mountain without knowing where the mountain is exactly or what the summit looks like right? It all starts with one step, followed by another step, and then a lot of other steps on a giant mechanical warhorse very quickly in succession while it might also be bursting into flames. For justice.
D: Justice +2: Well this part is easy. FIND CULPRIT, PUT TO JUSTICE. Gotta trust my gut on this one, I think by now I'm developing a bit of a knack.

That is to say unless you want to hang around here in town for a bit and mop up whatever demonic remnants there are about. I could go for that as well, maybe work some sort of scan/stab combo to secure the area and safeguard the people who are here now? I don't really know what's going on here, but do you know if there are any other demons in town or something?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Eosia, Eisos)

"Right you'll want to hold on tight, I had to get moving pretty fast before to do this and you people down there, GET OUT OF THE WAY!"

Hey I don't have a horse in this fight, so "Whatever evil bastard that a probable victim/bystander of the demon-jerk whose shop this is can keep in mind" is as good a target as any. The way I figure it, the trail's already gotten mostly cold here so might as well catch a scent from someone else.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis

"I... think so? Let me just try one, simple thing... Excuse me sir, I'm so sorry for coming upon you unannounced and all but we seem to have lost our way. Could you maybe just give us a few pointers? What city are we in exactly? It's a darned hot day out today isn't it? Where is my handkerchief..."

Reaching down into my armour I pull forth my handkerchief, the IV and house sigil embroidered poorly across it.

"Spider monsters you say? How horrible! Could you look up here just a moment please?"

Putting the kerchief away I slide the Sword free, and with a flip reverse my grip so that it points straight at the old man, a great gout of flame welling up from within me and pouring out towards him and the garden.

Hey bro, you evil? Burn like a hotdog on an unattended grill if so. If not, I guess we're cool.

D: Sacred Sword +2 - Flaming Justice Scan attack go!
D: Justice +2 - The flames of Justice shall never blind, char, or even sort of moderately singe and harm an innocent! I honestly have no clue as to what said flames will do to a seemingly harmless and possibly magical garden, but I kind of hope on the chance that it's innocent and not full of evil intent or something that the garden too will also go unharmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Ilvis (Beltheus' Demesne)

"Well, so sorry to bother you then Father Ochsbright. I guess this was just a missed stop on the way to our true destination. Don't worry yourself about the flames, they're harmless really."

Passing my hand through the flames still wreathing the Sword, I wriggle my fingers for emphasis.

"They're there for healing purposes mostly. Doesn't really hurt at all. I guess we'll get a move on, what did you say the name of the town with those spider monsters was? That's a likely stop right Civar? What? Wait, who are you-"

Hey wait, can he do that? Did we just get booted out and back to Eisos city?

• Locked thread