Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eerdeth -Ruthgard's Inn

That is a tad out of the ordinary. I'm pretty sure there's no one in this room.

I walk around the room and check all the nooks and crevasses just to be safe. "If you're in the fireplace, it's okay. I won't light up." That gets no response.

I press my ear to the door that leads out into the village and hear breathing on the other side. Two distinct sets of air rushing out of two distinct sets of lungs.

poo poo...

I call out in an effort to persuade my industrious muggers to not mug me.

"Hey, to you all on the other side of this door. I must commend your work ethic. It is pretty early in the morning, and you guys are all ready out and about, ready to take me for everything I have, but, maybe, could that not happen? I mean, I would hate to put you guys off your monthly robbery target. I know how it is, everyone is trying to make a living, things are rough all over, but my stuff is kinda important to me ... especially the gold bits. How about you don't knock me over the head with that club, and I'll lead you to a much better target."

I listen out for a response and hope the guys on the other side of the door take my bluff about knowing better targets to mug.

+4 Smooth Tongue: Man, if these guys buy that whole speech, I'll be damned, but not surprised. I'll be the first to admit that I have the "gift of gab" as Father used to call it.

+4 Control of Human Emotion: I bet my bluff about knowing where fatter grifts are to be found is paying off. These kinda guys always want more. They're a lot like me in that regard, except I don't have any of those things with the pointy ends.

JonasSalk posted:

Eerdeth Romul

Birthplace: The Frozen Wilds

Backstory: Eerdeth Romul was born to a mother and father who never did quite learn how to love him, seeing that they were both killed several days after his birth. Normally, an orphan child would be thrown to the wolves as a blood sacrifice, but the village chief (an elderly man with no children of his own) took pity on the babe and took him in as his son.

That was 19 years ago, and now the orphan boy has grown into an orphan man. His father, Chief Lurder threw him out into the wilds promptly after his 19th birthday, in accordance with local customs, so that he might make something of himself.

Eerdeth was known around his village for the mischief he was always causing. Chickens would go missing and horses would become skittish and throw their riders at the worst possible time. For some reason, Eerdeth always seemed to be around when things went wrong. Luckily, he was also possessed of a smooth tongue and was able to extricate himself from whatever trouble he may have been in.

Tired of the Frozen Wilds, Eerdeth has decided to make his way towards Eosia so that he might make some sort of mark on the world. Whether that mark be good or ill, Eerdeth is still unsure.

Qualities

Mortal:
+4 Smooth Tongue
Eerdeth always knows what to say and when to say it. This has kept him from certain beating on many an occasion.

+4 Control of Human Emotion
Since a youth, not a day has gone by without Eerdeth leading some poor fool astray and into whatever plan Eerdeth has decided to put into action. Eerdeth is a master manipulator and never short on support from those he feels should help him.

+2 The Ear
Eerdeth can almost always tell when a person is lying, mostly because he is such a talented liar himself. It's a gift.

Foible:
-2 Seeds Sewn
Eerdeth can't help but sow seeds of distrust everywhere he goes. Maybe, the gods are trying to even the playing field, but if so they are doing a bad job of it, because this distrust has an effect on everyone who comes into contact with Eerdeth.

Divine Trait:
Magic - The Eye +2: Eerdeth can peer into the minds of those he comes into contact with. This keeps him one step ahead of the rest of the world because he always knows what will come next.

Personality
Eerdeth is a liar and the world loves him for it. He needs to be in the thick of things, and often finds himself in trouble.

Luckily, he almost always finds a way out.

No one would ever say that Eerdeth is mean-spirited. For all the trouble he causes, the boy really does have a kind heart and he takes pity on the castoffs of society.

JonasSalk fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eerdeth Romul - Still in the Inn

Okay, he is biting. This is good. This is really good. Now I just need to think of a score.

I open the door to reveal a man and a dog. The man is gargantuan and carrying a long sword in his hand. He is clearly not someone I could take in a fight. The dog, obviously meant to be menacing, shies away at the sight of me and goes running down the street off into the darkness.

The man says, "Oh poo poo. Wait here. I'll be back. You leave and I'll kill you," and runs down the street after his dog.

I stand there for a moment and consider his threat. How many people are dumb enough to actually stay?

I exit through the door and take the opposing direction from the one the man took. As I leave, I decide to make for Eisos after I decide that it would probably be in my best interest to put together some sort of team of bandits and rob the city blind.

With this new goal in mind, I make for the town gates, passing by the horse that shied away from me the day before. As luck would have it the horse is already saddled up and everything, practically begging for someone to liberate it. I grab for the saddle, only to have the beast neigh rather loudly at my touch. This causes the Chief to come running from his home, fully clothed. Obviously, I've walked into a trap of some sort, but at the moment there isn't much for me to do besides jump on the horse, put spur to hide, and head out the gates as quickly as possible.

An hour later down the road to Eisos

The villagers are still chasing me. Much can be said about the resiliency of the people of The Frozen Wilds. None of it in my favor at the moment. I keep straight, because eventually their horses will tire out and they'll stop to rest them while I have no qualms with running this beast dead.

-2 Seeds Sewn - It's pretty great that the dog ran away, but dammit did I have to walk into a trap that obvious?

JonasSalk fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 21, 2012

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eerdeth Romul (On the road to Eisos in the Frozen Wilds)

I pull the reins on the horse and come to a stop. As I turn the horse around, I see that my band of followers have also stopped. They motion for me to get off the horse, and I see that one of them has an arrow knocked and ready to loose. I comply with their wish, and jump down from the beast.

All the while, I am thinking as hard as I can, because if I don't find a way out of this, I am as good as dead.

This fool thought he could get away with stealing my horse.

"What did you say, Chief?" I scream over towards the Chief. "I am not a fool, but yes, I did think I could get away with stealing that horse."

The chief and his men look at me with confused looks on their faces.

This boy must be crazy. How'd he know what I was thinking?"

I stop dead in my tracks. "What do you mean 'thinking?' You're talking as loud as day. Everyone can hear you."

The men stare at me for a few moments and then the Chief opens his mouth to speak. "What sort of monster are you? How are you in my head?"

Thinking fast, I begin to realize that something has happened to me. In fact, this explains the voice I thought I heard back at the inn. This new ability presents me an option for escape. I just hope it works.

"Ah, yes. I sometimes forget that you lesser animals lack the ability to commune mind to mind but that is no matter. Listen to me, and listen well. I was sent to your village as a test. A test to see if men still honored the rules of hospitality. Sadly, you have failed that test. First, one of your men tries to rob me of my valuables and then you all chase me down like a stag as I try to escape harassment. Leave me in peace now, or I may be forced to leave the lot of you in pieces. This is not something I want to do. Lots of paperwork and whatnot."

Summary
I try to persuade the men to let me go, by pretending to be some sort of higher order being. I have finally realized that I can read thoughts.

The Eye [+2] - This is loving crazy. Ain't no way I should be able to read thoughts, but, obviously, I never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Smooth Tongue [+2] - If there was ever a time when I needed to say the right words, this would be it. Please let them be fooled. Now is not a good time for me to die, I have mischief to get up to.

JonasSalk
May 27, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eerdeth Romul - Kiris

I've been sitting at this bar for days, trying my best to drown out the voices--whether they be voices I hear with my ears or my mind. It's no good, I am struck from all directions, and I can't figure out which voices are in my head and which are being spoken by lips.

"She's such a bitch." "Why fight wars for a man who cares not a bit about us?" "Pass me another drink, bartender." "Take her down to the boats and send her body on The Journey."

It was no use, try as I might, the voices continue to pour in and I am defenseless. Had I known this would happen, I'd have let those fools on the road kill me. That'd have been much easier to deal with.

"Hey bartender," I call, "where's that other drink? Keep them coming please."

Action: None, I continue to drink and listen in on the discussions around me.

• Locked thread