Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

larsiusprime posted:

Hey everybody! Just poking my head in here again :) I should have another DQ 2 post ready relatively soon (got a lot of cool new art & story material to go over), but to tide you guys over in the meantime, I have a big post about the upcoming DQ1 HD upgrade, with tons of screenshots. Also, at the risk of coming off like an arrogant rear end, I use the recent FFV HD remake as an example of what not to do:

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way/

This was a really cool read. Thanks for linking it here since I keep forgetting to check your blog normally (this should fix that prob).
Can't wait to replay DQ with HD :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

As nice as this looks, I think Azra is missing something. A mouth-expression thing? That makes it look weird.

Also Ketta only has five arrows when, by my last count, she has about 7,520,394 at any given time.

I'll just assume Azra gives her spirit arrows. :D

Ketta's lip placement also seems slightly... off? Is that just me?

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 29, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larsiusprime posted:

Also, at the risk of coming off like an arrogant rear end

You know what... you're entitled to offer criticism.

When Square Enix releases a game that has a higher Steam review score than you, maybe you can tone it down a bit.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jesto posted:

As nice as this looks, I think Azra is missing something. A mouth-expression thing? That makes it look weird.

Same. She looks grumpy and annoyed, instead of alarmed or what have you.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
DQ2 remains one of my most hotly-anticipated upcoming games. Keep on keeping on!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Jesto posted:

Nah I agree that particular frame has always been one of the wierder ones, I think due to the way in her wierd pose her knees still don't dent the fabric of the dress. Maybe the mouth is a teeny bit off too idk, the shapeless dress thing always stood out to me more. Overall though the HD looks like a big improvement :) can't wait for it to come out, been holding off on 100%ing the game til it does

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
http://www.fortressofdoors.com/defenders-quest-2-uematsu-music-battle-art/

quote:

Defender's Quest II: Uematsu Music, Battle Art, Story!

LARS: We've got a treat for you all today, a new Defender's Quest II story post courtesy of our writer James Cavin, a preview of the latest art, and -- the first of several tracks composed by legendary Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu!

Yes you read that right, several. Our initial deal with Nobuo Uematsu was for just one track, so we were surprised when instead we got nine. Some of these were short little diddies (think of a "Victory fanfare" or "going to sleep at the Inn" tune), but a few were full-length songs. So today you'll get to listen to one of the latter :)

http://files.fortressofdoors.com/dq2/battle_a.mp3

[Much, much more in the above link - music, animations, story and artwork.]

Wait... nine? That's wonderful. I wonder how that came about? Did Mr. Uematsu play the first DQ and get invested in it enough to extend his deal, or what? Is he bringing to the table completely original songs, or is he carrying on some of the musical cues used in DQ1's soundtrack like I've heard in past pieces?

I was a little bummed out when Dust's animator decided to drop out, but this makes up for that tenfold. :)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's wild!

What was your initial reaction when you found out you'd got so much extra stuff?

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.

quote:

Wait... nine? That's wonderful. I wonder how that came about? Did Mr. Uematsu play the first DQ and get invested in it enough to extend his deal, or what? Is he bringing to the table completely original songs, or is he carrying on some of the musical cues used in DQ1's soundtrack like I've heard in past pieces?

Hahaha, it's a little tough to know exactly what motivated him as we don't speak with Mr. Uemastu directly and there'd be a language barrier anyway. Fortunately Kevin is bilingual English/Japanese, and we go through him, who goes through Mr. Uematsu's handler, and so forth. And to be clear it's not like all 9 tracks are fully-realized full-length songs, like I mentioned in the article some of them are very short pieces akin to a victory fanfare or "going to sleep at the inn" type of tune. When we first got all nine my initial thought was "surely, we just have to pick ONE of these and that's it, right?" and then after some confirmation it looks like we can use the lot.

So Kevin will work on arranging them, some of the shorter pieces might be combined into larger ones for instance, or work their way into other songs Kevin has already worked on, and so forth. Then we pass them back for approval, and that's basically the process. The longer tracks (such as the battle theme posted in the article) of course just need to be arranged and mastered and in some cases have live instrument performances recorded (we don't have the budget for a full symphony or orchestra, but here and there we can afford a soloist or string quartet or something every now and then for a particular song to punch it up a little).

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
If you wanted to test out Defender's Quest HD, now's your chance.

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/defenders-quest-hd-demo-initial-public-test/

The demo is out, works up to the monestary. A bit buggy, but if you see anything buggy just report it. What do you guys think of the new art / layout?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jesto posted:

If you wanted to test out Defender's Quest HD, now's your chance.

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/defenders-quest-hd-demo-initial-public-test/

The demo is out, works up to the monestary. A bit buggy, but if you see anything buggy just report it. What do you guys think of the new art / layout?

Sweet. I'll give it a whirl on my new win10 laptop. Should be a good test.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Looks quite good, some random feedback (and it's been a while since I played the original so they may not be unique to this version):

-Couldn't find a way to cancel out of a spell selection without hitting escape, should be able to right click to go back to default cursor IMO

-Windowed resolution issue, my monitor is 1280x1024 and I assume the 1280x960 resolution is to allow the window to fit with the start menu, but the bottom actually gets cut off a bit, and I can't adjust the top of the window to go slightly offscreen to compensate, it snaps back down

-If I choose the fancy cursor, it doesn't show up right away, I have to blindly click accept then re-open the video menu for it to show up

-The increased resolution makes the bad tiled sections of the map stand out even more, like the cliffs all look fine but the tiled grass/dirt/sand sections look really blah in comparison

-There seemed to be like a half second of hitching when new enemies are loaded in, particularly noticable on higher speeds

-Journal doesn't seem to do anything but I'll assume it's working as intended for the demo

At least some of this is being addressed I think (the dev notes there is still work being done on the map) but I figured there's probably not a ton of people giving feedback so I gave it more effort than I otherwise would have

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
http://www.fortressofdoors.com/defenders-quest-hd-demo-initial-public-test/ Lots of bug fixes, including lag bugs. New demo build available if you're testing it out. :)

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The demo is very good, but is there any chance that the battle music can be tweaked to loop more smoothly? I found it really jarring in the original game and was disappointed to see that it's still present.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.
Yeah we can fix looping errors in the music. Just haven't gotten around to tweaking that. What are you hearing exactly, is it a gap in playback itself, or just the way the sound transitions? Also which battle track, there's several.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Apparently Defender's Quest turned 4 years old last month.

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/supporting-an-indie-rpg-for-four-years/

quote:

New HD cutscene art & sprite art
New Journal entries & "Behind the Scenes" journal
Officially supported game modes such as "Hero Mode" and "Speedrun Mode"
Gamepad support including Steam Controller
...and lots more!

Speedunning a tower defense. That's a strange idea. I don't believe anyone has ever done that before. Is there a speedrun of the game up anywhere? I assume it involves a bunch of archers.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEarmXpMag8

Defender's Quest DX trailer. Everything looks nice, I guess, but I'm holding out for the DQ Virtual Reality update in about ten years.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Gonna be mad if I can't unlock nerd glasses for Azra.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

And there it is, the Deluxe update. If you ever needed an excuse to replay DQ, there you are. No new levels, but some extra story, 'better' graphics (pixel art supremacy represent) and other assorted things.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Wondering about two things, 1920x1200 16:10, and borderless windowed.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
I, for one, am excited to play through sections of NG+ at high framerates rather than the slideshow it was on the old engine!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I also hope this means things are picking up for the sequel

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neat. I forget if there's a way to start a new game (I would assume so) but I'll have to play through this again and see the changes.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Kibayasu posted:

Neat. I forget if there's a way to start a new game

You have 3 save slots, and can delete/export a save to make more room.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Game sounds really buggy going by the Steam forums and their Github bug tracker, yikes.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
For what it's worth, I haven't really noticed (or looked for) any bugs casually playing up till mission ten.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Beat it on Hero mode, didnt see any bugs.

Transcendent
Jun 24, 2002

Yeah the only bug I've ever run into is the "missing executable" issue that just started happening after I had already put several hours into the deluxe edition.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Nevermind. Loaded my old save and enemies slide off the screen backwards upon spawning and I have to wait through every wave. After every wave has spawned they start sliding back onto the screen.

e: also had some intense slowdown when using the fireball spell.

KoB fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 17, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I noticed some slowdown if I'm in fullscreen but other than that I'm having a blast replaying.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Playing this again and I love it! I've had a few crashes at different parts of the game - in one late-game cutscene, Slak's sprite got replaced by a black box, and hitting previous crashed the whole thing; later in NG+, the prison cutscene would consistently crash partway in (though not always on the exact same line). Should have taken better notes on these, in hindsight.

No other bugs for me, though!

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

lots of bugs for me.

Started a new file with a new install.

Unable to read almost any of the text that was not in a cutscene. For example when completing a level and trying to put skillpoints into various units. When I try to leave the screen to continue with the missions it pops up "are you sure you want to save these skills" or whatever it says. But its black text that just appears over top of the skill/invintory screen. its impossible to read. The Yes/No buttons appear but are floating in space randomly.

On mission 15 it just gave me a boatload of achievements for seemingly no reason.

I had the first warrior unit just stop functioning in the middle of a match. Had to restart to get him to attack things again.

Overall, Fun was had.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Oh, yeah, I've seen the priest unit just decide he didn't want to do any actions ever again. Fixes after death or recall, and seems to occur on higher speed settings, 8x or 16x. If I'm using those, there isn't much chance of a loss at that point so not a huge deal, but there's a bug for the pile.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i started a new game on the hd mode or whatever yesterday and the only annoyance i really had was it becoming unresponsive for like 1 second at a time pretty often.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
The only bug I've run into since starting a new save in HD yesterday is the game ignoring me renaming the priest and mage characters. Extremely minor but also kind of weird. It's nice getting to play this again after shelving it on completion when it first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Steam is doing an awards thing.

I was thinking of nominating this for: The “Test of Time” Award

Unless there's a better fitting category.

• Locked thread