Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.
@H20Melon :

There's not a ton of documentation for the game at the moment, but I can always add support for new things for modders' sake. Right now, you CAN define the stats of your hero units and set up triggers that give them to you at the start, but I'm not sure if that would cover generic units. What you're describing might actually be possible, I'd have to dig into the code and see what (undocumented) scripts you can use to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

Hey everyone!

We're on sale right now, 50% for the Steam Autumn sale, so if you've been fence-sitting, now's your chance to get it for cheap!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

That's pretty neat. :) I thought you might save the 50% off sale for Christmas, dropping it this early is great. You might want to add something to the frontpage of http://www.defendersquest.com/ indicating you can get it for 50% off there, I didn't realize it was on sale directly through you until I went to the buy page to check.

Is the Kongregate version going on sale, or does Kongregate not do sales? I don't believe I've ever seen them do even a Christmas sale on their games. Then again, Defender's Quest is pretty much the only full game for sale on Kongregate, isn't it? Every other game only has premium upgrades and cash shop items.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I enjoyed the demo. If the game is 50% off then I guess I can rationalize the purchase.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Just wanted to say this game is insanely fun and addictive and I'm enjoying it more than anything else I've bought in months.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Just picked this up. Installed it. Tried to set it to full-screen but it does not support my resolution (1680x1050). It changed my actual native desktop resolution. It also crashed AVG. All of these things make for an irritating initial experience, but I am trusting you guys and your shining reviews.

Are you supposed to play this in windowed mode?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Jelly posted:

Are you supposed to play this in windowed mode?

That's how I've always played it. Try that and see if you have any problems?

Also, everyone should play the demo before purchasing Defender's Quest. There's no reason to blindly buy the game based on our reviews, the demo will provide you with hours of playtime to help you decide whether or not it appeals to you. :)

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 22, 2012

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Just a minor hiccup, windowed is totally fine!

(edit: Played almost 3 hours, mostly telling myself "just one more battle".)

(edit2: This game is amazing.)

Jelly fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 22, 2012

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

larsiusprime posted:

@H20Melon :

There's not a ton of documentation for the game at the moment, but I can always add support for new things for modders' sake. Right now, you CAN define the stats of your hero units and set up triggers that give them to you at the start, but I'm not sure if that would cover generic units. What you're describing might actually be possible, I'd have to dig into the code and see what (undocumented) scripts you can use to do that.
Cool. I saw that there was a recruits.xml that was largely empty. I tried to add in similar fields to those used for setting up heroes but to no avail. If there's no way to do it at the moment, what I'd really love to see is a way to set a mod so that you can start it with a stocked inventory of heroes, recruits and equipment at levels of your choice etc. as it would help greatly with testing any levels you make, trying out various set ups to see how easy/hard it is under certain conditions. Or will save games still work even after you make changes to a mod (as you can just edit the save file to test in that case)?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Custom naming is fun :]

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I thought this game was fun then I hit new game+. This game is now awesome. I like how the characters are all a little wacky but with the journal you actually learn a lot more of the world. I know its a TD game and all but I like reading stuff.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Velveteen posted:

I thought this game was fun then I hit new game+. This game is now awesome. I like how the characters are all a little wacky but with the journal you actually learn a lot more of the world. I know its a TD game and all but I like reading stuff.

It's not until Sidequest #6, Wrenna and the Temple, that you get a feel for why everyone seems kind of 'wacky'. :smith: Living in the pit is awful, the creator of the Exile/Avernum series could write a fantastically hopeless story with the writer of this game. I hope more people in this topic reach that battle.

It has one of my favorite exchanges in the game, too.

Azra: You want to talk?
Wrenna: Words solve nothing.
Azra: I hope that's not true, otherwise I kind of picked the wrong career.

If an expansion ever does come around, it would be nice to see it featuring around Wrenna, either her past or her future. She's one of the more interesting characters by far.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 25, 2012

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Wrenna would totally rock as a berserker. :black101:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Picked the game up during the Steam Sale and I'm loving it so far. There's just so much attention to detail everywhere you look that I'd have to write an essay just to point everything out. My favorite thing is how the harder difficulties shake things up, and how the game keeps opening up in New Game+. And the sweet, sweet music!

I can't recommend this game enough. If you liked the demo, you'll get more than your money's worth.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Velveteen posted:

I really think the game made a mistake in only having the journal in new game+.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This game has the best written EULA I've ever seen. It's actually comprehensible!

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.
Yeah, we might flip the journal on for the normal game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm getting toward the end of play+, and my damage output can't keep up with increasing enemy health. This is further exasperated when enemies have phase, and have limited periods of vulnerability. Am I missing something obvious, or do I just need to level?

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm getting toward the end of play+, and my damage output can't keep up with increasing enemy health. This is further exasperated when enemies have phase, and have limited periods of vulnerability. Am I missing something obvious, or do I just need to level?
What level are your characters, and which difficulty setting are you attempting? Personally I noticed a significant difficulty increase in the final stages of the game in NG+, especially extreme difficulty where you really do need to be fairly well levelled. I think was largely in part due to the porcupine cultists forcing me to ignore berserkers almost entirely.

If you've not beat most of the early stages on extreme or advanced, it wouldn't hurt to go back and do them for the XP bonuses.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I haven't gotten that far into new game+ yet but I'm pretty confident in saying that the answer to your problem is more rangers.

The duration of their phase invulnerability doesn't get longer as you get closer to the end does it?

bofa salesman fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 27, 2012

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Schwarzwald posted:

Towards the end Play+ expects that you probably have six of each class at decent levels, with a bunch of characters who all have their own skills. Some Knights with maxed knockback or armor piercing and armor break, some Ice Mages with slowing and freezing, a Berserker or two with maxed Bleed and so on.

Evni+ on your most powerful Berserker placed carefully helps, as does a bunch of Dragons with decent Nom. A ton of rangers with enough arrows to shred the enemies is great, too.

If a setup isn't working for you, just reset their skillpoints and reallocate them.

Also, Slow Start and Slow End are the best books you can use. PSI Shield will help you maintain a Perfect rating if one or two enemies leak, but you should do everything you can to avoid leaking to begin with.

Which battle are you having problems with?

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Is it wrong to skill all heroes of the same type uniformly?

All berzerkers specced to bleed, rangers to crit + range, etc.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The title had me excited, but the sub NES graphics leave me somewhat not.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Pr0phecy posted:

Is it wrong to skill all heroes of the same type uniformly?

All berzerkers specced to bleed, rangers to crit + range, etc.
I did this and had little problem getting 201 gold stars. By the higher levels all of the viable build options tend to merge into one so it doesn't really matter in the long run, and if it does, you'll have so much spare cash you can respec at a trivial cost. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Kharmakazy posted:

Sub NES, really? :( The pixel work in this game is actually very well done, screenshots alone doesn't quite do it justice. Download the demo on Steam or play the flash demo to see them in action to see if your opinion changes.

http://www.defendersquest.com/play_demo.html

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I am really enjoying this. I think they did a great job with all aspects of the game, and giving you a bunch of options for how to tackle each level. also, the extreme challenges can be really really fun.

The best part is you can easily just play for 10-15 minutes at a time when you've got a few minutes to burn (i.e. when waiting for your wife to finish getting ready in the morning before going to work).

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jesto posted:

Sub NES, really? :( The pixel work in this game is actually very well done, screenshots alone doesn't quite do it justice. Download the demo on Steam or play the flash demo to see them in action to see if your opinion changes.

http://www.defendersquest.com/play_demo.html

The pixel work really isn't good at all, and the drawings look like they were done by a high school art class. I can play minecraft and dwarf fortress, but poorly hand drawn graphics are just a nonstarter for me. I'm not saying it's impossible for you to enjoy it, I just am not able to.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Jesto posted:

It's not until Sidequest #6, Wrenna and the Temple, that you get a feel for why everyone seems kind of 'wacky'. :smith: Living in the pit is awful, the creator of the Exile/Avernum series could write a fantastically hopeless story with the writer of this game. I hope more people in this topic reach that battle.

It has one of my favorite exchanges in the game, too.

Azra: You want to talk?
Wrenna: Words solve nothing.
Azra: I hope that's not true, otherwise I kind of picked the wrong career.

If an expansion ever does come around, it would be nice to see it featuring around Wrenna, either her past or her future. She's one of the more interesting characters by far.

I just got to this part. Yeah life really sucks there. I like Wrenna and all but I do enjoy Ketta and Slak's banter with each other the most. The best part was Slak talking about his abs and rear end then getting interrupted while Ketta says something along the lines of "thank god the revenants are here." I kind of like everyone in the game even the most boring one, Markos, is entertaining.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kharmakazy posted:

I get the impression that you've never actually seen an NES game.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Yeah, if anything the cutscene art is like an adequately drawn webcomic. Every background in the game is pretty drat nice in my opinion.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dunno I think the art looks really amateur, at best. The sprites in particular are really boring and look like something out of a budget F2P RPG, especially how the most customization you get is hair and shirt color. I mean I don't really care since the game is fun and the art isn't offensively bad to me, but I certainly wouldn't dream of defending it. "Adequately drawn webcomic" is a good thing now?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I get the impression that you've never actually seen an NES game.

I mean, I can keep stating my opinion if you want. These graphics are definitely not on par with SNES era rpg sprites. They may be factually more detailed, but of vastly inferior quality. The worst part for me are those large hand drawn portraits that look like they were ripped from the pages of deviantart.

I played the demo. This game might warrant freeware play, but I certainly can't see spending actual money on it.

But that's just my opinion. You are certainly entitled to your own.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Countblanc posted:

"Adequately drawn webcomic" is a good thing now?

Compared to NES art, sure. Your opinion could be that it's lower quality than NES art, but your opinion would be factually wrong.

- NES
- SNES (Der Langrisser, a Strategy RPG, if anyone is wondering. Fantastic game.)
- Defender's Quest

Jesto fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 28, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
It has crappy art, get over it. If those screenshots in the OP turn you off, don't get it. If you don't care about crappy art because you like deep gameplay that injects a fresh sense of fun into the horribly stale tower defense genre, get this game.

I played the demo after I saw a review for Defender's Quest on SteamShots; bought it full price that night, after playing the demo for a few hours straight. If you like tower defense games at all, you absolutely have to at least try the demo.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Jesto posted:

Compared to NES art, sure. Your opinion could be that it's lower quality than NES art, but your opinion would be factually wrong.

- NES
- SNES (Der Langrisser, a Strategy RPG, if anyone is wondering. Fantastic game.)

Yeah. Those sprite in the FF1 Screen look better than the battle sprites for this game. They look like someone drew them in mspaint. In fact, I would be surprised to find out that they weren't drawn in mspaint.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kharmakazy posted:

Yeah. Those sprite in the FF1 Screen look better than the battle sprites for this game. They look like someone drew them in mspaint. In fact, I would be surprised to find out that they weren't drawn in mspaint.

:stare: You've gotta be high as a sequoia, dude. I'm not a big fan of the art direction in this game but the in-game sprites are competently made.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Kharmakazy posted:

The battle sprites in DQ are much higher quality and actually have detail unlike the FF1 sprites.

Edit: My avatar was done in MSPaint and I think it looks pretty good. Even MSPaint can make good art if you try.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Cowman posted:

The battle sprites in DQ are much higher quality and actually have detail unlike the FF1 sprites.

Edit: My avatar was done in MSPaint and I think it looks pretty good. Even MSPaint can make good art if you try.

Yes. Your horrible avatar looks similar in quality to this games graphics.

I don't think this is actually going anywhere so, feel free to tell me how wrong I am in absentia.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Velveteen posted:

I just got to this part. Yeah life really sucks there. I like Wrenna and all but I do enjoy Ketta and Slak's banter with each other the most. The best part was Slak talking about his abs and rear end then getting interrupted while Ketta says something along the lines of "thank god the revenants are here." I kind of like everyone in the game even the most boring one, Markos, is entertaining.

Defender's Quest - "Charissa? You named your rear end Charissa?"

Markos is a lot of fun, aside from the fact that he does a number on those goddamn armor snails in my game. He's such a straight man that he makes even Azra sound crazy by proximity.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Kharmakazy posted:

You don't have eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Kharmakazy posted:

I don't think this is actually going anywhere so, feel free to tell me how wrong I am in absentia.

Gladly. The sprites are functional. They won't win any awards perhaps, but they're hardly an eyesore. This game is a blast, the developers are cool people, I am very happy with the multiple copies of this game I have bought.

• Locked thread