Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TurninTrix posted:

Defender's Quest - "Charissa? You named your rear end Charissa?"

Only half my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
No complaints about the artwork personally. The random name generator is poo poo though!

This is my go to periodic game after playing FTL. Really enjoying it. Never knew about the journal until I read this thread (since I haven't finished the game yet). Put that thing on the first playthrough!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
How have people been using dragons? With their low speed, single target attacks and high cost, I haven't found them to be terribly useful. Is there something I'm overlooking?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

How have people been using dragons? With their low speed, single target attacks and high cost, I haven't found them to be terribly useful. Is there something I'm overlooking?

They're more useful in NG+. Not that much better, but I'm glad to have their breath attacks against enemies immune to freeze or whatnot. Otherwise, yeah, I just pull them out when I have PSI to spare.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Schwarzwald posted:

In my experience they're only really useful on the endless maps where you have money to burn.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
My issue with dragons is that the niche of "slow, large damage to single enemies" is already taken by knights, but knights are cheaper, can also break armour and don't interfere with ice mages. I rarely ever found a use for dragons beyond when I had psi to burn. Even the NG+ sidequest that only lets you use ice mages and dragons I beat on Extreme solely using ice mages.

While I love everything about this game a lot, they feel like a bit of a balance mistake. They're just not worth the cost.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Dragons make great disposable meatshields.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

H2Omelon posted:

My issue with dragons is that the niche of "slow, large damage to single enemies" is already taken by knights, but knights are cheaper, can also break armour and don't interfere with ice mages. I rarely ever found a use for dragons beyond when I had psi to burn. Even the NG+ sidequest that only lets you use ice mages and dragons I beat on Extreme solely using ice mages.

While I love everything about this game a lot, they feel like a bit of a balance mistake. They're just not worth the cost.

I found them useful as anchors in the later levels since anything in risk of leaking is generally going to be coming in small groups, especially with that skill that eats enemies with low health. My knights were always near the front for armor breaking.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Yeah, I've mainly used dragons to rearguard nom. With nom maxed their default attack instantly kills anything below 18% health.

I do wish there was an order to make knights target the highest armor rather than highest hp & armor. I don't care about the hps, I just want that armor gone you stupid knights.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Largepotato posted:

I do wish there was an order to make knights target the highest armor rather than highest hp & armor. I don't care about the hps, I just want that armor gone you stupid knights.
I believe enabling "Optimise effects" works (I think it's the one with the ! icon?)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Dragons are mainly good for putting near the end to nom enemies that leaked by, or right in the middle of chokepoints to ensure enemies get ripped apart for longer. Their AoE stun is fantastic, especially if you toggle off their fire attacks. Roar + Ice Mage slowing is an amazing combo. Using them as shields to take damage for other characters is good too.

I like to put a dragon on either side of Azra combined with Slow End to make sure they nom / Roar anything that tries to hit her.

timg'd for spoilers, click to enlarge

No one is getting past those bouncers. :colbert:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I think I'll have to restart, I'm at a point where I don't have any gold left to buy new guys/new equipment and I'm failing all the levels/difficulty left for me on NG and NG+. I played for a few hours without reading about it, so I did not hire enough people and did not minmax the skills - most of my crew has 2-3 points everywhere and it doesn't seem to be the way to go.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Senso posted:

I think I'll have to restart, I'm at a point where I don't have any gold left to buy new guys/new equipment and I'm failing all the levels/difficulty left for me on NG and NG+. I played for a few hours without reading about it, so I did not hire enough people and did not minmax the skills - most of my crew has 2-3 points everywhere and it doesn't seem to be the way to go.

Change accesibility options to get like 200% rewards, replay old levels.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I bumped up XP and Gold rewards to 150% right near the start because that really reduces the need to grind. Without that, I felt like I had to grind if I wanted to get the special higher difficulty bonus rewards while they were still useful.

But you CAN grind if you ever feel like you need to. Go back and play the levels on the hardest difficulty.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jesto posted:

Dragons are mainly good for putting near the end to nom enemies that leaked by, or right in the middle of chokepoints to ensure enemies get ripped apart for longer. Their AoE stun is fantastic, especially if you toggle off their fire attacks. Roar + Ice Mage slowing is an amazing combo. Using them as shields to take damage for other characters is good too.

I like to put a dragon on either side of Azra combined with Slow End to make sure they nom / Roar anything that tries to hit her.

Yeah, I take back the mean things I said about them earlier. Some of the higher bonus levels on NG+ absolutely require them for those fat bastards that invis and split into speedy armored snails right in front of Azra :cry:

I also respecced them with max Nom/HP/Damage/Stun/Basic Attack and set them to attack the enemy with the lowest hp so they Nom like crazy all the time and almost never die.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, I bumped up XP and Gold rewards to 150% right near the start because that really reduces the need to grind. Without that, I felt like I had to grind if I wanted to get the special higher difficulty bonus rewards while they were still useful.

But you CAN grind if you ever feel like you need to. Go back and play the levels on the hardest difficulty.

Yeah, I cranked everything up near the end too. It didn't really feel like cheating since I knew I *could* beat stuff, it would just take forever to level everyone up and I'm already like 40 hours in.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Looks like the developers are asking for community feedback and suggestions for what people want them to do for the sequel. If you had any issues with the game or stuff that was missing that you wanted to see, post it here.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/218410/discussions/0/846938351044358949/

Or I guess you could post it in this thread, too. Lars probably still checks it, I'm guessing.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I actually ticked over to wave 199 then immediately died right after this screenshot.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Slak probably would have gotten you to 200 if you gave him Envi+ and put him right at the end to mop up everything under 10% HP. Still, that's pretty impressive.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Awesome.

Now do it on New Game+ endless mode :v:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

H2Omelon posted:

Awesome.

Now do it on New Game+ endless mode :v:

I haven't unlocked it yet...1 more gold star on the last level that is driving me nuts :suicide:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Sloppy posted:

I haven't unlocked it yet...1 more gold star on the last level that is driving me nuts :suicide:

I posted an image showing a good setup for that level a little earlier. What you want to do is:

Put archers all in the center, so they can hit everywhere on the battlefield. They just need a few healers to help them survive the enemies that walk out from spawn.

Slow Start + Slow End to ensure you get the maximum amount of time to do DPS.

Put Knights everywhere, even desummon and resummon them if you need to to knock off armor.

Dragons on either side of Azra to keep her safe.

An Ice Mage above Azra to keep enemies that spawn right above her from rushing to her. You can also put an Ice Mage near Zelemir to protect him, but his survival isn't necessary.

Slak right above Azra as well with Evni+, to help the dragons mop up weakened enemies. He can be moved elsewhere when he's no longer needed there.

Boost Azra up whenever you get a surplus of PSI so Zelemir can start spamming powerful spells.

Once your guys manage to keep the generating enemies at bay, just go crazy summoning extra units around the final boss wherever he may teleport to.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 8, 2012

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I can't seem to beat any stages on extreme after the sheep boss in new game+. Nor can I beat anything on advanced after the hand boss. Not sure what I'm doing wrong as stuff just rushes past and eventually I get overwhelmed and Azra dies.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Velveteen posted:

I can't seem to beat any stages on extreme after the sheep boss in new game+. Nor can I beat anything on advanced after the hand boss. Not sure what I'm doing wrong as stuff just rushes past and eventually I get overwhelmed and Azra dies.

The level cap is 60, you might want to go ahead and turn EXP up to 300% so you can hit it sooner if you need to. Also, do some bonus maps for books if you don't have any good ones, they help.

What's your general strategy? Putting down some maxed archers can help to slow down the enemies while you get PSI for units with a shorter range.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I put knights, ice mages, priests and berserkers at every entrance and stack archers at the middle. Spiked armour will eat my berserkers even with a priest healing. The armoured snails and such is also a pain to deal with.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Jesto posted:

I posted an image showing a good setup for that level a little earlier. What you want to do is:

Put archers all in the center, so they can hit everywhere on the battlefield. They just need a few healers to help them survive the enemies that walk out from spawn.

Slow Start + Slow End to ensure you get the maximum amount of time to do DPS.

Put Knights everywhere, even desummon and resummon them if you need to to knock off armor.

Dragons on either side of Azra to keep her safe.

An Ice Mage above Azra to keep enemies that spawn right above her from rushing to her. You can also put an Ice Mage near Zelemir to protect him, but his survival isn't necessary.

Slak right above Azra as well with Evni+, to help the dragons mop up weakened enemies. He can be moved elsewhere when he's no longer needed there.

Boost Azra up whenever you get a surplus of PSI so Zelemir can start spamming powerful spells.

Once your guys manage to keep the generating enemies at bay, just go crazy summoning extra units around the final boss wherever he may teleport to.

I've been avoiding reading your spoilers because I wanted to figure it out, but I got frustrated and peeked...and it's basically what I've been doing, except I had Envi on the #2 berserker and was using Light of Judgement instead of Slow Start. I took your suggestions but I'm still not managing to survive that one wave of armored bastards that spawns in front of Azra and rushes her, though. I've been boosting my 2 dragons and Slak to 4, the mage by Azra to 5, all my archers to 2-3, and a healer by the archers to 5 for zeal, then strategically putting knights and Boost 1 mages all over to break/slow stuff. I optimize my Dragons (so they don't thaw out frozen guys) and have tried setting my knights to attack the highest armored guy. No dice though.

Edit: Like so:

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 11, 2012

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Here's how I do the level.

Here's my initial spawning: http://i.imgur.com/GCXdB.png

The key is archers, archers, archers. Your archers should be able to almost entirely deal with every enemy by themselves. Respec them to have full armor pierce if you don't trust your knights, full range is also useful for this level. After placing the units as in the above image, my first priority is to boost all 6 archers to level 5, and also boost some healers if necessary. Then I boost Zelemir to level 5 because his spells are really useful. Knights never really need to be boosted above level 2 honestly although I do it anyway, I'd prioritise boosting archers --> healers --> ice mages --> knights --> dragons --> berserkers.

If you're knights aren't knocking off enough armor, give them both the "target strongest" and "optimise effects" tactics and they'll concentrate on the highest armor enemies.

DO NOT use any berserkers. They will die horribly to the porcupine enemies and should never be used to clear the waves, it's a waste of psi and the archers are more effective. Only once you've placed and boosted every other unit to level 5 should you start with berserkers, who will solely concentrate on hitting the boss. It can easily take 20+ waves until you are ready to do this and start dealing damage to the boss.

With my setup Zelemir might get hit by the first two cultist that head his way but as long as he doesn't die you're fine. Only Azra needs to be full health to get a perfect. You can let Zelemir die, but the spells he spams are quite useful.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

H2Omelon posted:

Here's how I do the level.

Here's my initial spawning: http://i.imgur.com/GCXdB.png

The key is archers, archers, archers. Your archers should be able to almost entirely deal with every enemy by themselves. Respec them to have full armor pierce if you don't trust your knights, full range is also useful for this level. After placing the units as in the above image, my first priority is to boost all 6 archers to level 5, and also boost some healers if necessary. Then I boost Zelemir to level 5 because his spells are really useful. Knights never really need to be boosted above level 2 honestly although I do it anyway, I'd prioritise boosting archers --> healers --> ice mages --> knights --> dragons --> berserkers.

If you're knights aren't knocking off enough armor, give them both the "target strongest" and "optimise effects" tactics and they'll concentrate on the highest armor enemies.

DO NOT use any berserkers. They will die horribly to the porcupine enemies and should never be used to clear the waves, it's a waste of psi and the archers are more effective. Only once you've placed and boosted every other unit to level 5 should you start with berserkers, who will solely concentrate on hitting the boss. It can easily take 20+ waves until you are ready to do this and start dealing damage to the boss.

With my setup Zelemir might get hit by the first two cultist that head his way but as long as he doesn't die you're fine. Only Azra needs to be full health to get a perfect. You can let Zelemir die, but the spells he spams are quite useful.

Yay, I finally did it. I had to do the 'target strongest' and 'optimize effects' on all the knights (a few from that killer 3rd? wave would always get through otherwise) and I had to get one of my dragons to Boost 4 for the stun before I upgraded my archers. Once I was over that initial hump, it was just a matter of waiting.

Thanks guys.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
The demo for this game is surprisingly generous.

I love the way the game feels, it's unabashedly a TD game, but it's nice to play a game that doesn't try to really make things more complicated than that. Sometimes it's just nice to sit down and waste a few hours on a game like this. Definitely will be picking this up at some point in the future.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't checked in for a while :) Definitely will be taking all this feedback into account for any sequel/follow-up we do.

Also... we're the daily deal today on Steam! Now's your chance to get the game for just $5 if you've been sitting on the fence :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
:toot: Congratulations on the game getting the daily deal. What milestones are there left for you guys with this game, getting hosted in a humble bundle? Hopefully if you do ever get added in one, it'll be alongside a few other awesome games.

Also, I've been playing some of your Tourette's Quest tech demo, it seems like a really intriguing idea. It's amazing that it got as much press as it did, any idea how that happened?

You might want to talk to Edmund McMillen for tips on developing mechanics for it, or just to get his opinion of it, since he knows everything about oldschool Zelda-dungeoneering after Binding of Isaac.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

After switching my strategy around I finally got around beating most of the stages on extreme. I can't seem to beat the stage "Following Zelemir" where you lose all the archers. With the phasing revenants they are able to just walk right past all my berserkers.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

larsiusprime posted:

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't checked in for a while :) Definitely will be taking all this feedback into account for any sequel/follow-up we do.

Also... we're the daily deal today on Steam! Now's your chance to get the game for just $5 if you've been sitting on the fence :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410

Just what I needed. Bought this game and a few copies for gifts. Great game, please keep up the great work. :)

Side note, any plans for any further expansions/DLC for the game?

anviroid
Aug 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For god's sake hire an actual artist.

This is not acceptable for a game you expect me to pay money for. High school art students draw better than this.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

anviroid posted:

For god's sake hire an actual artist.

This is not acceptable for a game you expect me to pay money for. High school art students draw better than this.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/113200/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/70300/

:ssh: Indie development teams with a tiny handful of people and little to no funding developing in the flash engine aren't going to give you triple-A cutscenes. Either press Skip on all the cutscenes, come to terms with the fact that the graphics style you see is what you're going to get, or just buy something else and wait for the sequel to come along with better cutscene graphics because they can probably afford better artists now.

I happen to think they at least look better than Fire Emblem cutscenes. v:shobon:v

anviroid
Aug 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No, fire emblem looks far and away better than this.

This is not up to par to be on sale anywhere... this is freeware quality stuff. The mechanics aren't bad... but I can't justify paying even the $5 "sale" price for this. I mean... rpg maker games look better than this.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Holy poo poo, dude, calm down. If you really can't justify paying the sale price just for the graphics alone, then don't. I've seen more expensive games with lovely graphics (Touhou series); the graphics have grown on me enough so I can glance at them while reading the dialogue. They already got my $5.

By the way, giving an option to crank up the EXP/scrap rewards to 300% and allowing us to set combat speed to 4x? That's awesome.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

anviroid posted:

This is not up to par to be on sale anywhere... this is freeware quality stuff. The mechanics aren't bad... but I can't justify paying even the $5 "sale" price for this. I mean... rpg maker games look better than this.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25503.0

Considering that it had 14,000 sales in April back before they redid the cutscene backgrounds and six months before they were on Steam, there's plenty of people who seem to disagree with you. :confused:

Is your overall issue with the game the fact that you want to continue playing past the demo, but don't want to pay for it due it's cutscene graphics or what? Because most people who didn't like the cutscene graphics probably just wouldn't bother with it at all.

anviroid
Aug 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I can deal with bad graphics, but this game just isn't good enough to overlook them when dealing with spending money. Dwarf fortress? Fine.

Saying 14k people did something isn't a very good argument. There are more than 14k child molesters... that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

I mean, I respect your opinion. Mine is just not the same as yours. I find it kind of annoying that what would pass for decent freeware a decade ago is now considered a viable game to sell. This stuff just doesn't pass the bar.

The fact that everyone seems to have lowered their expectations is kind of disappointing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

anviroid posted:

I can deal with bad graphics, but this game just isn't good enough to overlook them when dealing with spending money. Dwarf fortress? Fine.

Saying 14k people did something isn't a very good argument. There are more than 14k child molesters... that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

I mean, I respect your opinion. Mine is just not the same as yours. I find it kind of annoying that what would pass for decent freeware a decade ago is now considered a viable game to sell. This stuff just doesn't pass the bar.

The fact that everyone seems to have lowered their expectations is kind of disappointing.

Way to respect his opinion with all that passive aggressive sniping!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You're seriously comparing people who like this game to child molesters. jeez. The artwork is pretty drat bad, but this is one hell of an overreaction.

This are bad comparisons, because first of all, Edmund Mcmillen is really drat talented and creates far more consistent and interesting art, and because VVVVVV nails the C64 aesthetic it was going for almost perfectly. BoI and VVVVVV both have far better art direction.

Defender's Quest is really good despite the shoddy artwork, thankfully. The battle graphics are serviceable and the gameplay is really addicting.

• Locked thread