Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meadowlark
May 25, 2012
The flash cartoon style graphics and Tower Defense (c'mon, this genre has been done to death) elements are a huge turn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Game is great, easily one the best in the genre, good sense of progression, story is adequate, gameplay is as fun as tower defense of this style games go. It chose an art style and whether it looks good or not is entirely up to taste more than quality. I think it has made the best of what they chose to work with and what they could afford to work with. Even with full animations, cutscenes and cutting edge 3d graphics it wouldn't matter at all to me everything that is important is already there.

If you don't like Tower defenses, then why are you even here?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sir_Seth posted:

The flash cartoon style graphics and Tower Defense (c'mon, this genre has been done to death) elements are a huge turn off.

That's a pretty silly point. It'd be like jumping into a Call of Duty thread saying the FPS genre has been done to death and the whole shooting guns thing is a turn off.

Graphics are serviceable for the game (I wouldn't play full-screen, but it looks fine in window mode); the gameplay is where it shines but if you aren't into it well then that's fine. Most people tend to enjoy it. There's a demo thats pretty lengthy so you can tell if you'll like it or not.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 17, 2012

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Sir_Seth posted:

:what:

I don't really like platformers, but I don't go into threads marked as platforming and complain that I wish the game were a roguelike instead.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Say, I just started this, pretty nifty so far. However, I just noticed I locked myself out of that Hero Mode achievement without knowing about it beforehand. Now I'm considering restarting my game and go for that, but at the same time I'm also concerned it's probably too hard a challenge for a novice who hasn't learned his ropes from the "normal" game. Did anyone try not recruiting any generic units at all and how did that work out for you?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
It's best to have two save slots, one dedicated to the normal game and one dedicated to Hero Mode. Hero Mode isn't something you want to attempt on your first playthrough.

If you play through Play and Play+ on your normal savefile, you'll have a general idea of how to prepare for playing with so few characters and how to allocate their skillpoints. It's also highly reccomended you switch EXP to 300% in the options menu when attempting Hero Mode.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
I'd advise playing through the game normally and then starting a second Hero Mode save game on a separate slot. If you eventually want to earn all of the stars you're going to need recruits, and they're always hired at level 1 so if you leave it until you've got 180 stars in Hero mode for the achievement you'll have ridiculous amounts of grinding to do even on 300% XP gains to get your recruits up to scratch.

Note that starting a new game for Hero Mode with 300% XP gains from the start (like you're advised to do) goes by very very quickly. You can get every star in the regular game in a hour, probably quicker. You just put your archer down wherever and everything dies.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Might be that I'm just really tired (didn't get any sleep last night), but I'm confused, H2Omelon: you recommend not playing normally and then hero mode on a separated slot, but then you recommend starting a new game for Hero Mode. Are you trying to say that it's best not to play the standard game before beating Hero Mode? Wouldn't that cause the Exp unbalance between heroes and recruits on the second go?

vvv gotcha. Thanks, guys.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 17, 2012

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
You are really tired. Read the first sentence again.

"I'd advise playing through the game normally and then starting a second Hero Mode save game on a separate slot."

Play the standard game first.

EDIT: Doh! I see the mistake now. Ignore my use of the word second. I meant start a second save game slot, not start a second Hero Mode.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.
Yeah, Hero mode is something fans of the early version came up with as a self-imposed challenge, and we decided to give it "official" support via achievement.

It's definitely super-hard, and not something I'd recommend on a first playthrough.

Technically, though, you can always hack your save file to get it by deleting your generic character entries - the game just checks that you *currently* have only heroes in your party, there's no validation check to enforce that it's always been that way.

Also: just under two hours left on the daily deal! Now's your chance if you're still on the fence about it!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/?snr=1_4_4__43

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Just posted the official modding guide:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113999020

Work in progress.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sir_Seth posted:

Yeah, I can see how someone who doesn't like cartoon tower defence games might not like a cartoon defence game.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jesto posted:

I posted an image showing a good setup for that level a little earlier. What you want to do is:

Slak right above Azra as well with Evni+, to help the dragons mop up weakened enemies. He can be moved elsewhere when he's no longer needed there.

I just found out I did something really dumb. I was confusing Envi with another sword, I've never actually had Envi :downs:

Maybe it will be easier this time around!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Sloppy posted:

I just found out I did something really dumb. I was confusing Envi with another sword, I've never actually had Envi :downs:

Maybe it will be easier this time around!

Evni is kind of easy to miss if you don't look through the items in the final store and skip through the dialogue there about the sword.

For anyone else who has this problem: Evni is in the Swords menu of the Hoard in Play. A secret unique armor is available under the Heavy Armors menu in the same place in Play+, and it upgrades to be pretty drat nice.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 19, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is there a setting to make it easier to switch between characters using keyboard shortcuts?

As is, if I want to cycle through all six of my berzerkers to check if they're upgraded I have to hit Q, A, then S,S to get to the second guy, D,D to get to the third guy and so on.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Hey guys! The sales, they don't stop coming!

You can nab Defender's Quest for 75% off right now on GOG. The way the GOG guys set it up is you get the big discount if you grab everything in the "Defend and Conquer" bundle:
http://www.gog.com/promo/defend___conquer_bundle

If you just want it a-la-carte, it's 50% off.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
I don't see in what sense this game could be called "FFT-styled". It's a decent game, but it has absolutely nothing in common with FFT.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

NewtGoongrich posted:

I don't see in what sense this game could be called "FFT-styled". It's a decent game, but it has absolutely nothing in common with FFT.

I was using the creator's own words on their Steam page, because I didn't know what else to write.

quote:

Defender's Quest is a Tower-Defense/RPG Hybrid (Think Final Fantasy Tactics meets Tower Defense).

Maybe Larsiusprime could explain what he means by that. I could ask a moderator to change it to something more fitting, if anyone has any suggestions?

Jesto fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 19, 2012

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jesto posted:

I was using the creator's own words on their Steam page, because I didn't know what else to write.

Maybe Larsiusprime could explain what he means by that. I could ask a moderator to change it to something more fitting, if you have any suggestions?

Stats? In my towers?

Yes, it is an old, unfunny joke, but I had to get it out there.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The music and character art reminded me of FFT. FFT is my all-time favorite game and I had no problem with the comparison. It works on a couple levels but yeah, not gameplaywise.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Garfu posted:

The music and character art reminded me of FFT. FFT is my all-time favorite game and I had no problem with the comparison. It works on a couple levels but yeah, not gameplaywise.

This is probably the least accurate comparison I have ever seen in my life.

VS

Seriously? This isn't even close to the quality of the GBA version.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

As for the FFT comparison - it was the original inspiration for the game, if you took the meta-game, party-building, and overall structure of a tactical RPG, but then used the battle system from Tower Defense.

The original idea came from Final Fantasy Crystal Defenders:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Crystal_Defenders

Which promised to basically be Final Fantasy Tactics merged with Tower Defense. Except, it's kind of terrible, IMO. Instead of blending unique, persistent characters that you can customize with tower defense battles, it's just by-the-numbers TD with a light Final Fantasy visual theme.

So, we thought - what would Crystal Defenders have been like if they actually tried to merge RPG + Tower Defense rather than just use Final Fantasy characters as a dressing?

Strategy/Tactics RPG's generally have a more linear story with dozens of customizable characters, and large, long, involved battles rather than simple menu-based ones. This is the sense in which we felt we were borrowing from FF Tactics.

Secondly, although we don't feature the classical FFT battle system, we do use a battle system that makes use of geography and placement, which is the key differentiating feature for me between a "tactical" RPG battle system and a traditional "fight/magic/item" menu-based one.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion about what the essence of FFT is, so sorry if anyone felt misled here.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I've found a weird (and useful) bug: if you use the book that makes lightning stun, and then spam it a few times on a single monster, it freezes it in place and makes it stop attacking...forever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

larsiusprime posted:

As for the FFT comparison - it was the original inspiration for the game, if you took the meta-game, party-building, and overall structure of a tactical RPG, but then used the battle system from Tower Defense.

I guess it's similar to FFT in that they both have characters that can level up and gain new skills over time? Like every single other RPG? I dunno, I just don't see it. Maybe FFT was the inspiration to begin with but the end result isn't even slightly similar to FFT in any way I can think of. There's a node based overworld map, I guess, but it's pretty different.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kharmakazy posted:

VS

That's a really disengenuous argument.

One is a badly cropped jpeg artifacted copy of one half of a party select screen. The other is a set of sprites super imposed on their battle portraits that have been cleaned up and are not in their un-pixelated original format.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Kharmakazy posted:

VS

Maybe you should just stop posting in this thread. You don't like the art, we get it.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
What's everyone's general tactic for the smokey grey fast snails that dodge a lot? I find the really only effective strategy is to load up a lot of damage dealing on their lane, but sometimes that's not really possible. Should I be focusing more on magic (ice mages)?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

PotatoManJack posted:

What's everyone's general tactic for the smokey grey fast snails that dodge a lot? I find the really only effective strategy is to load up a lot of damage dealing on their lane, but sometimes that's not really possible. Should I be focusing more on magic (ice mages)?

If you mean the ones with the little clouds around them, the priests have spells that temporarily remove the cloud.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

Defender's Quest is 66% off until January 5th. $5.10, so if you missed picking it up last time, now is the time to do so. :toot:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Jesto posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

Defender's Quest is 66% off until January 5th. $5.10, so if you missed picking it up last time, now is the time to do so. :toot:

Uh, it's 88% off ($1.73) here! Holy moley!

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DQCF/defenders-quest-valley-of-the-forgotten

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Can this version be transferred to Steam?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

NewtGoongrich posted:

Can this version be transferred to Steam?

Nope. It's the DRM free version. But you can always add the Steam overlay over it.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

And it's 100% off right here, right now!

What's going on? Indie Solidarity is what's going on! So for those of you who really wanted something closer to FF Tactics you should check out my friend Craig Stern's project, Telepath Tactics.

Here's a blog post about it with links to his project:
http://www.fortressofdoors.com/2012/12/indie-solidarity-telepath-tactics.html

Basically, he has a cool Strategy RPG that NEEDS to happen. I don't have tons of my own money to give(though I did pledge), but I CAN summon free copies of Defender's Quest at will.

I already gave him 200 free copies to give away to backers, but I understand maybe not everyone can afford to pledge more than a few bucks.

So here's the deal. I'll give you a $15 value (I guess $8-$5 value right now during sales :P) for free, right now, and in exchange I'll ask you pretty please to give at least that much value to Craig in a kickstarter pledge. Even Stevens!

Here's da free codes!!!

FREE7ESZC
FREE7EUWB
FREE7FDXH
FREE7JUMM
FREE7KPRH
FREE7PCPA
FREE7RHKR
FREE7RZUF
FREE7UDMF
FREE7WRUW

Redeem these codes at https://www.defendersquest.com/buy.html, click "add to cart" then enter the code, update coupon. You won't have to enter payment info but it might ask for your billing address, but I think you can just put in anything that looks vaguely like an address if you don't want to share that.

This gets you Mac/Win/Linux copies of the game, DRM Free, the soundtrack, and a Steam Key.

Please reply with what code you used so I can mark it off the list, and also be nice and don't take more than one :)

larsiusprime fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 21, 2012

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
Took FREE7UDMF at random.

Will be donating $20 to the Kickstarter tonight. Thanks again! I've been looking at Defender's Quest since it was released but never pulled the trigger.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

larsiusprime posted:

FREE7ESZC
FREE7EUWB
FREE7FDXH
FREE7JUMM
FREE7KPRH
FREE7PCPA Took this one
FREE7RHKR
FREE7RZUF
FREE7UDMF
FREE7WRUW

Thanks for the code, now off to check out your buddy's project!

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Took this one, thanks!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Merry Christmas! Took FREE7WRUW, will be kicking Telepath Tactics a bone. Here's a direct link to the page. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/telepath-tactics

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

For future reference, if you don't want random lurkers stealing codes, stick them in a quote-viewable only form

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Thanks a lot, you made my day. I grabbed FREE7KPRH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Saoshyant posted:

Nope. It's the DRM free version. But you can always add the Steam overlay over it.

Technically the Steam version is the DRM free version as well. You can move Defender's Quest out of it's Steam folder and launch it without the Steam overlay, if you want.

• Locked thread