Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Everyone should own this game unless they have a vendetta against fun

larsiusprime posted:

Hi! I'm the lead dev. Thanks for this OP thread, Jesto!

I can confirm we don't have any multiplayer plans at the moment. This was our first commercial game so we didn't want to bite off more than we could chew.

If anyone has any "inside baseball" questions that other goons can't answer, let me know, I'll be hanging around the SA forums from now on.

Multiplayer really wouldn't work in this type of game anyways, so good call. There are only a few ways that multiplayer in TDs can work: - Competitive TDs (i.e. Squadron TD for Starcraft 2 which I'm a developer for), Action-RPG TDs (Orcs Must Die/Dungeon Defenders), and Survival TDs (Traditional standard WC3 TDs to see who can survive the longest).

Speaking of which, and obviously it's out of anyones control, but it's annoying that typing in "Defenders" into Steam brings up a page of Dungeon Defender stuff :(

I'm interested in seeing your responses to Jesto's questions, and here's some of my own:

1) How often do you play games now? I was stalking looking at your steam profile and you've got a nice list of good indie games, but it doesn't seem like you play any of them.

2) Any plans for an iOS/Android port? Seems like it be great on a tablet (just like FTL would be amazing on a tablet). Now that I think about, there was a game called Defender Chronicles for iOS that was really fun and I used to play which is similar to Defenders Quest. Did you ever play that?

3) How do you feel about the new Steam Greenlight system?

Now, some general comments/suggestions about the game:

A) Armor is worthless for the most part. The hitback passives on the upgrade uniques can be useful, but in general having some Healers were more than enough to mitigate any damage that units received. I can count on my hand the number of times I've lost a unit. Similarly, I've found Defense/Evasion/Extra HP passives are entirely useless because units just don't die with healers backing them. Oh yeah, the Heal ability on Azra is useless except on maybe one or two levels.

I don't know what to recommend for that. I guess Healers could have a longer cooldown on Aid/Group Heal.

B) How about a new set of "Accessory" items? Aka items that just provide some passive stuff: 10% Cheaper upgrades, -0.1 Minimum Range on Archers, Increased Critical Damage/Chance, Lifesteal on hit, Gains extra Psi on Kill, etc. You know the usual little buffs that can tweak how you want to use a unit.

C) I found Fire skills (Azra's skill and Dragon's fire actives) to not be worth the cancellation of slows. I always turn Fire Breath off and didn't even tech up the other fire skill. Even though it wouldn't make much sense physically, I think Fire shouldn't negate the Ice-slows/stuns. That would make them infinitely more useful

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Thanks for the response!

larsiusprime posted:

A) Generally speaking I'd agree that armor and healing does take kinda of a back seat. We erred on the side of not having your party constantly dying all the time, and so you only really need armor for when you try levels right at the edge of your ability.

I agree having party dying all the time and trying to replace them would be annoying; however, I've found that I usually whenever I tried to push a harder difficulty I always lost because I couldn't do enough DPS. I don't think I ever lost because I couldn't keep my guys alive and that's using minimal no/armor and no extra HP/evasion/defense passives the entire game. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to make it more useful without increasing frustration unless there are some passive affects for having better armor.

quote:

C) Yeah, pretty much. There is a book that makes fire and ice not cancel, but I'm not sure if it's balanced correctly. In general, there's a lot of things we could balance/tweak, but I'm wondering at this point whether it's just better to admit the game has certain faults rather than to tweak every balance point, since doing so usually results in *new* balance issues arising elsewhere.

Hrmm, I have finished most of NG+ but I must have missed that book :( I understand the cause-and-effect problem. When I'd make what should be a minor change to Squadron TD, I'd end up causing problems hilariously broken balance problems the road due to it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 18, 2012

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sir_Seth posted:

The flash cartoon style graphics and Tower Defense (c'mon, this genre has been done to death) elements are a huge turn off.

That's a pretty silly point. It'd be like jumping into a Call of Duty thread saying the FPS genre has been done to death and the whole shooting guns thing is a turn off.

Graphics are serviceable for the game (I wouldn't play full-screen, but it looks fine in window mode); the gameplay is where it shines but if you aren't into it well then that's fine. Most people tend to enjoy it. There's a demo thats pretty lengthy so you can tell if you'll like it or not.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 17, 2012

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Im_Special posted:

Since dev's get a cut of the card sales, if I were a dev I would give my game 50 cards to collect. Muhahaha.

I bet that Steam has a cap based upon the cost of the game or something to that effect.

Also Larius, if you don't mind, could you tell us how much sales have risen since cards were put in on your game? You posted a lot of interesting stuff before and it would be intriguing to see the effects of cards on game sales :)

• Locked thread