Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

WarLocke posted:

Problem is I'm playing 'hero mode' (just the 6 storyline characters) so I'll end up recalling them and repositioning and hoping I do enough damage over time. A million HP is a lot even for level 34/35 characters.

I hope your Hero Mode save isn't your first playthrough of the game. :( There's honestly a lot of content and story in NewGame+ you're not gonna see otherwise, some of those battles are downright unwinnable with only 6.

You could export your Hero Mode savefile, import it into the second save file slot and play through that one buying extra units if so.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

WarLocke posted:

So when you find out what Zelemir's plan is and the 'battle-path' splits does the storyline diverge there or can you do both?

You can do both, nothing you do will lock you out of any content in the game. But the top one won't unlock NewGame+, so you might as well do it first and then continue to the bottom.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I'm pretty sure a lot of battles in NG+ are literally impossible unless you're hacking the game if you're not recruiting anyone. :( The last level of NewGame+ was beyond difficult even with 36 fully geared out characters at level 60.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I've had it at 300% since I first found the option. I hired all the characters I could and tried Endless 2 again, didn't quite get the achievement but all my new recruits went from 1 to 12 afterwards.

Not sure I have enough scrap to buy them all weapons/armor though, at least not end-game stuff, it's pretty expensive.

The nice thing about NewGame+ is that you don't have to buy much equipment at all, everything you can upgrade with skulls is better than any equipment sold in stores. So that covers most of your equipment issues.

Also, the best way to win Endless 2 is with the Shock Lightning book with your Lightning spell maxed. You'll be getting ridiculous amounts of Psi, so you can afford to stunlock as many enemies as you like in key areas where you have maximum damage focused.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

Hey guys! We've started a new thingy here. Developer's "Let's Play" with commentary and stuff, just like on DVDs!

That's awesome! You guys mentioned that there were secrets in the game you didn't get too many emails about, though. Can you list a few the average player wouldn't get, or that the obsessive 100% completionist wouldn't get? :P

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

There are about a dozen or so secrets for which there is no public evidence that they have been discovered by anybody.

I think I did find one a while back, I just wasn't smart enough to figure out how to solve it. :( I noticed some certain symbols on a certain giant rock slab in a cutscene, and noticed they didn't look quite right compared to how the text had been used elsewhere in the game. So I took the image and flipped it upsidedown, and noticed that for some reason the message had been carved onto the rock upsidedown.

I then found the font that was used for it and realized there didn't seem to be a way for me to directly translate the font into English, so I gave up.

It took you saying that to make me remember that since I first tried to decipher the letters, I had unlocked Play+. And you can compare the symbols in Play to the translated letters in Play+ to directly translate if you have time and patience.

Well, I had the time and I had the patience and you're a real bastard, Lars. :)

EDIT: Edited out for others to figure out. Suckers!

That's as close as I could get due to the lighting issues and the cracks, but I think I can figure out what it says.

There's writing on the pillars in the sides of the room as well, but it's too small to decipher more than a few letters and zooming in turns them into pixelated junk.

Are all the secrets like this? :P

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 10, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

They're all mostly "hidden in plain sight" kinda stuff, looks like Jesto has found one of them :)

Do the stuff on the columns actually say something? Because it's pretty much impossible to decipher them without high resolution images of that background.

Also, further secret attempts: Attempted to rename Azra to Zelemir and the Sorceress's name, thinking it might change her sprite into theirs in battle. :( No dice.

I have been wondering about this bit of graffiti, though. It doesn't match up with any in-game text and is a tad too short, however, so I think it's just there for aesthetic reasons.

I can't find any other text hidden around the game, unfortunately. The idea of a bonus battle does sound intriguing, though. Possibly a boss rush with Zelemir, Sorceress and Big Bad at three corners of the battle map and Azra at the fourth, while waves of enemies and the few non-stationary bosses marching towards her? :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Uh. Lars?

What is this? :stare: Is there some great big mystery locked away inside of Defender's Quest?

Also, how big of a fan is your writer of the Mummy series, with regards to the big bad and the sorceress's plotline? :)

Jesto fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 9, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Edit: Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 28, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Well, that looks like cuneiform, one of the earliest written languages. It doesn't look to be spelling out anything, so I guess those are all symbols that each mean words instead of letters, which makes translation a bit harder, since you basically have to look through a huge list of words and compare.

I'm thinking more along the lines that it's the English alphabet in symbols in order like that. There's 13 teeth on the top, 13 on the bottom.

Also, Lars? Why is Defender's Quest not a part of the Spring Indie Game Sale? :(

http://steamdb.info/sales/?displayOnly=Game
http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1aqpka/the_steam_indie_spring_sale_is_live/c8zv4ww

Did you not get invited? I wonder if you could still email Steam and get in on it.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 22, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Hopefully you guys can try and get Steam to put you on another daily deal sometime soon for missing out on the Spring Indie Sale. :)

Also, will your developer's LP be covering NewGame+ content as well, or just the main playthrough? I'd be interested to hear you guys discuss the ideas behind it, how to balance new stuff, the additional story content and what got left on the cutting room floor. They're pretty interesting to listen to.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
For anyone interested in how the sequel will work, they have released some details:

quote:

- We've already picked out our world and have started writing a lot of the backstory behind the characters, so that's pretty set in stone at this point.

- There will be a home base, and likely a smaller number of all unique characters (i.e. 10 - 12 characters, rather than 6 with repeats).

- There may be additional "throw away" towers that can be summoned in a battle but don't persist.

- The "skill tree" will be more like Diablo 3 than Diablo 2. That is, you still have a bunch of skills, but you'll pick from them rather than leveling them up point by point. The goal is to keep that same feeling of customization and choice while removing the tedium of individual point upgrades.

Homebase sounds like it ought to add quite a bit of fun extra content to the game, if you can upgrade it and talk to your characters there, like Suikoden or Shining Force 1+2.

The change to the skill tree is also incredibly welcome news, flooding a bunch of points into a single skill was kind of boring. I prefer to straight up buy a skill and have it's power increased when the unit itself levels up.

Also, the most recent developer LP videos are here, still talking about the design process of the game, animations, artwork and things like that. Fairly neat, if you're interested in that sort of behind-the-scenes stuff.

Part 5

Part 6

Jesto fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 18, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Out of curiousity, do you expect a lot of people to start modding Defender's Quest, or is this mostly just groundwork for getting modding in Defender's Quest 2 out of the way in advance?

Even if modding is just used to translate the game into a bunch of different languages for marketing overseas, it seems well worth the time investment either way. :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
https://twitter.com/larsiusprime/status/343022777814626307

Looks like the game is getting cards / backgrounds / badges / chat icons / whatever on Steam! :toot: I hope to craft the badge up to maximum levels and get all the shiny things.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Looks like the cards are finally in!

The only problem is there only appears to be 5 of them. Very strange. Most games seem to have around 8, and those that do show off the characters in the game. No character but Azra are in these cards? Odd. Still, it's some money on the Steam market, I guess. I was hoping to collect cards of the characters, but there's no real reason to keep these cards around. :geno: Why would I want to collect the title screen of all things? It seems like these were just rushed through.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 13, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Xaris posted:

I bet that Steam has a cap based upon the cost of the game or something to that effect.

Triple Town has 12 at $10, Faerie Solitaire has 9 at $5 and Defender's Quest has 5 at $15. So if there is a cap, some games aren't using all their potential slots, which is bizzare considering that the more cards your game has the more money you as a developer get off of their trading. If Defender's Quest still does have as many potential card slots as Triple Town, I'm hoping they'll fill the last 7 slots with the actual story characters.

I'm surprised Defender's Quest hasn't gone on sale just to tempt people to buy it if only for the cards. :confused:

Jesto fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 14, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

The card limit was from me misunderstanding Steam's requirements. They said, "Make 5 cards," turns out that's at LEAST 5 cards. I originally made 35 (including character cards) thinking it would be 5 cards per set, and turns out it's only 1 set.

So I shrunk the set down. Anyways, not super ideal but what's done is done and I think they'll enable new sets in the near future probably and then you'll see all the other cards I made.

Aw. :( So they won't let you add in any new ones after the fact? Oh well. I'm not so sure they'll go back and give each game new cards, because their top priority is probably just giving as many games as cards as possible and there's really quite a few games on Steam.

quote:

6) Will feature an all-new story and setting
I love the "Valley of the Forgotten" setting, but we wrapped up most of the loose ends and I hate how story sequels tend to undermine what was accomplished in previous games.

This is for the best, really. Everyone already got their happy ending, Azra has no more power and everything is as it should be. The only thing I'm even remotely interested in is the figure in the desert, but that's more of a sidequest than a new story. How many more sales do you suppose you guys will need before it becomes worth your while to impliment that? :P Or would that take Humble Bundle levels of exposure?

Also, it occurs to me that being in the Humble Bundle now would bring you guys crazy amounts of revenue from the tens of thousands of people buying and selling DQ cards. Is that card system generating some nice profit as it stands, by the way?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
So I was just playing Anodyne and Steam dumped a Defender's Quest Booster Pack into my lap. 3 random cards, potentially foils. Do I open it, or sell it? :ohdear:

I never thought buying Defender's Quest would eventually give me more money than I paid for it. Maybe that should be a selling point.

Defender's Quest: Literally pays for itself, and then some!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
You know, Lars, most developers would have simply abandoned their game outright once it was in a sellable state a year or so ago. No NewGame+, no mod support, no extra story content and certainly not a free mod 'expansion'. Why are you so awesome? :) Thanks for all this new amazing stuff.

And now that this is finished, can we expect your Developers Let's Play series to resume, or are you done with that?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
For anyone wondering if the Super Space Defenders mod is worth it:

Yes. Yes it is. I didn't expect Slak could look sillier, but there you go.

It's about 5-6 levels with quirky dialogue and enemy descriptions. It's good for 30 minutes of amusement. Anyone here planning on working on a mod?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

bowmore posted:

How should I be allocating skill points early in the game? Do I try and evenly distribute the points between the attacks or should I focus on the highest one? I don't know!!!

The game encourages experimenting, you can reset skillpoints at any time for a scrap fee.

But if you want my suggestion:

Max one Berserker with Bleed.
Max all Berserker's Speed+.
Max one Ranger with Bleed.
Max all Ranger's Crit+.
Max one Ranger with Poison.
Max one Healer with First Aid.
Max one Ice Mage's Chill.
Max two (at least) Knight's Armor Break, not Armor Pierce.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Azran posted:

Hey Larsius, you and your team did a topnotch job with this game, and I'm buying it as soon as I can. The demo just sold me on it - also, weird to see a main character named Azra. :v:

Remember to buy before Monday, the 66% off sale ends then. :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm at the first point where the path forks for "run away / obvious bad ending" vs "go fight bad guy / obvious good ending". If I do bad ending first do I get locked into it or I just do bad ending and then go do good ending afterward?

There are 5 different endings, and running away isn't necessarily the 'bad' ending. The bad guy can't win if you're not there. Losing to him is probably the worst one.

But yeah, you can do whatever ending you want and go back and forth between Play and Play+ on the same save, you can't lock yourself out of any content.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
So I saw some interesting information on twitter today.

Lars Doucet posted:

Okay, this last sale was just ridiculous. The most successful promotion Defender's Quest has *ever* had. Better than Daily Deal. Better than Launch. Better than *everything.*

I think the stars just aligned. Workshop Cards + Large Discount + Front-page-promotion + No other big announcements

Of all of Defender's Quest's lifetime PC sales revenue to date, 33% of it came in the last two weeks.

The last total revenue they posted was somewhere around $300,000, back in February. That means in two weeks Defender's Quest earned them at least $100,000. Given the $5 sale, that means at least 20,000 new people bought the game? :) That's great to hear. I wonder if the Summer Sale will give another boost. In any case, I hope you guys have a ton of funds to invest into your sequel.

Cicadalek posted:

Anyone have advice for the mission with the hand on Extreme? I've mastered almost every other level and I wanna do all of them before moving to new game+. I can't seem to work out a placement that doesn't eventually leak something.

The hand is vulnerable to ice magic, so just plunk an Ice Mage with max Chill next to him and let her make it irrelevant for a majority of the battle, along with a Knight with max Armor Break to pre-emptively knock off all his armor. That'll free you up to work on the rest of the enemies.

Other ice mages around center to create choke points or a dragon with Roar ought to give your berserkers enough time to cleave through them. You could just go to New Game+, upgrade your equipment and come back to this level, though. You can switch between the normal game and new game+ at any time.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 2, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
It's always nice to read an article about a successful indie dev, and this is pretty relevant here.

http://www.destructoid.com/long-tail-how-defender-s-quest-is-doing-better-than-ever-257407.phtml

I assume after the 66% and 75% off sales, practically everyone who even remotely wants the game has it by now. Of course, I'll probably be proven wrong if it gets featured on the front page during the summer sale (when most people do their steam gam shopping) and they break 100k sales. :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

It's a bit more different than that from what I've seen. :) Though I can understanding you not wanting to upset the retailers by advertising the better deal on your site.

On Steam - A Steam key and cards.

Direct - Steam key, GoG key, Desura key, having it on your Humble Bundle account, a DRM free version, the soundtrack in downloadable format, GoG profiles / artwork and Steam cards. Plus Lars gets more money this way. :toot:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Does anyone have a spare copy of this from the sale? I didn't see it on the front page and forgot to check if it was discounted :saddowns:.

If you really, desperately want a discounted copy of the game, you can usually get a 50% off coupon from DQ's trade board on Steam. Be prepared to trade a lot of cards for it though.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

Just going to leave this here:

More details to follow when I've got the time.

Sooo it's a lizard thing with a large turtle-like house on it's back for people to live in and travel on?

Essentially, it's to Defender's Quest what Appa was to Avatar: The Last Airbender?

That's so loving awesome. Giant animal buddies own. You own. This game is gonna own. Let me preorder it right friggin' now. :mad:

Are you guys going to do a kickstarter, or are you doing Humble Store preorders, or what? And do you have the guy behind DQ1's soundtrack back? Because his musical talent added so, so much to the game. :)

This calls for a :toot: dance party :toot:

_______ Ravermancy!

Jesto fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 21, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Also, sorry to doublepost, but congrats on becoming a new dad Lars! :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

1) Kevin Penkin will be back as our musician, yes. Along with a very special friend who I can't announce just yet.

Nolan North for lead character voiceacting, confirmed.

quote:

2) We've talked a lot internally about preorders, the idea is to do an "un-kickstarter" on our own store, powered by Humble Store. The main issue here is timing - development is still early as we're retooling the engine to have better performance and be more easily cross-platform on native targets.

By 'un-kickstarter' do you mean just a simple preorder system with no fancy gimmicks, or do you mean more along the lines of Starbound's un-kickstarter via Humble? http://playstarbound.com/store/

I'd personally like it if you guys went the route of giving Defender's Quest free for everyone who preorders Defender's Quest 2 for full price right now, or for some slightly higher tier. :) Let people give some extra copies of the game out to their friends to get them hooked on it.

quote:

If you guys have any specific questions, post 'em and I'll try to answer them in the upcoming announcement post.

1. You're not going to invest development time on putting in multiplayer functionality, are you? I only ask because it doesn't see like it would add anything to DQ and yet it's a request I've seen pop up several times.

2. You've been looking into console / handheld releases. Are you guys hoping to release those simultaneously, or are you going to release on PC earlier and see if there's enough interest / demand / funding to port over to handheld?

I can't think of anything else at the moment. :)

Jesto fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 23, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Lars posted a few mockups of what DQ2 might look like on 3DS.

Also:

quote:

Okay, one hour left in the workday. Time to read through these Sony contracts I've been holding off on for so long.

So I guess the Nintendo / Sony ports are a go. Really hope that this ends out working well for the guys. :) Also, there's still a few bugs left in Defender's Quest 1, like some movie titles being weird garbled stuff and heroes only showing up as "x2 x2 x2 x2 x2 x2" in the main menu no matter how many you actually have. This isn't exactly gamebreaking, though.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

quote:

Lars Doucet ‏@larsiusprime
Defender's Quest 2 is coming to Steam, but you knew that already.

Looks like DQ2 gets to bypass Greenlight entirely due to DQ1 managing to just barely avoid the mess that is Greenlight. :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Gensuki posted:

So, I am bad with computers, because I am terrified that I will press something and cause catastrophic failure that will deny me access to microsoft word or something silly.

Because of that, I cannot bring myself to update this. If I delete everything, and re-download it, will it be updated?

Has anything been added since say... 1.0.6.4? I generally don't do mods or such.

You're probably safe to update. If you're really worried, you can always export your save or something.

The current version is 1.0.99, sooo... I don't know what all you're missing. Do you even have NewGame+ as an option? You're probably missing out on a ton of bugfixes at the very least, and Super Space Defenders is an official mod from the developers which adds an additional new mini-campaign that you might enjoy.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
PC supremacy all the way. :toot:

Tower Defense seems like something of a niche genre, though. Even if it's souped up with RPG mechanics. You guys sure you aren't taking a gamble here?

I guess worst come to worst, you can always rely on Steam to pay off development costs through repeat customers. Maybe hope the Humble Bundle finally decides to throw you guys a bone.

Do you have any idea when you might open yourselves up to preorders, maybe include a Steam key of DQ1 as an early preorder bonus for people to give to their friends?

Edit: Also, out of curiousity, did you ever see a penny from those card sales? Because the 10% Defender's Quest developer fee is a bit misleading otherwise.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 25, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
http://www.defendersquest.com/theforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=4693#p4693

quote:

We'd love to keep our fans involved with our development process, so based on a suggestion we're going to turn to you all for some ideas regarding character skills. While we're not yet revealing much about our characters or settings yet, we have decided on most of our character classes and are looking for suggestions from the community for skills. We need both active skills and passive skills. There will be 8 active skills for each character (1 for boost 1, 2 each for boosts 2 - 4, and 1 for boost 5 that is manually-triggered). There will also be 6 - 8 passive skills, with 3 - 4 able to be active at a time. I'm also happy to take general suggestions for status effects, as those can help guide skill design too.

This is just wild brainstorming, and we're not giving a lot of context for our game world yet so some of the ideas may just not work. I also have plans for some of these already, but I'm always open to some interesting and unique ideas. Also, feasibility may rule out some of these, but you're welcome to toss them out there to see what sticks. :) I do need to give a few disclaimers first though:

- We may or may not use any of these suggestions.
- By posting in this public forum, you are giving up all right to and ownership of these ideas and will receive no compensation.
- We will try to provide credit for ideas, but make no guarantees.

With that out of the way, here are some of the 12 character classes that we'd love to get some suggestions for:

- Two-sword whirlwind. Character is best when facing lots of enemies at once, able to deal good group damage.
- Duelist. Has a sword and a whip, focused on DPS, and some harassment, against individual enemies. Good accuracy can yield critical hits.
- Archer. Longest range, emphasis on a combination of speed and crits. May have some status effect arrows too.
- Tribal Healer (nature-focused, not like an evil witch doctor). Would have healing, poison, and other concoctions to toss around.
- Amateur Mage. Magic is not particularly well understood here, so it's more experimenting with weaker magic than true mastery.
- Demolisher. Expert on explosions and destruction.
- Gunner / Inventor. Has a large-bore cannon and the ability to toss out traps. A mid-range character with enough armor to be able to hold on the front lines.
- Knight. Armored tank character, will do good generic damage.
- Guard Herald. Super heavily armored, holds a large shield. And a trumpet.

We're looking forward to seeing what you guys think, and thanks for the help!

If you want to have some input on character skills for the next game, you can pitch in in that topic. :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Do you guys really need an elaborate preorder system for DQ2? Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first person to preorder DQ2, but all the bells and whistles attached seems kind of unnecessary. Especially if it gives people some control over game design. Not much of a fan of that. :P

Would you be doing this through the Humble Store, like Risk of Rain, Treasure Adventure World and Starbound are doing, or are you going the route of Kickstarter? I prefer Humble since it takes less fees and lasts as long as you want without the reward tier stuff, but I dunno. Unless one of the reward tiers was revealing the secrets still in DQ1 and implimenting the cool eye-rock-desert thing, I'd be cool with that. :toot:

quote:

The Game: DRM-Free + Steam (etc) Key
Soundtrack
Original game (Defender's Quest 1)

These three should be the basic tier. $15 gets you soundtrack, a copy of the original game to give to your friends and therefore increase awareness of the preorder campaign and the game itself when done. Maybe make it 10% off, because that's likely what it will debut at, and people are much more likely to preorder something if they think they'll be getting a discount out of it.

quote:

Alpha access + Alpha forum (Alpha = earlier than beta)
Beta access + Beta forum

Not sure if I'd pay more money to be an alpha/betatester, but I'm sure there's some people who might. Alpha/betatesting is usually a frustrating enough experience to do for free in sandbox games. :) Toss in a changing story and saves likely to be deleted over and over and it could sour you to the game.

quote:

4x pack of (Game+Keys+Soundtrack)

This one would be good, if it were at a % discount off. 4 copies for 25% off? Starbound does 25%.

quote:

Your name on a monster in a special playable "ending credits" battle.
Help design an item
Help design a monster
Help design a level
Your name on a cooler, higher-rank monster in the "ending credits" battle
Our artist paints your face on an NPC character portrait

Giving people control over game design, instead of being merely able to suggest things, is again a bit iffy. But if it gets the game developed, whatever.

quote:

10x pack of (Game+Keys+Soundtrack)

Seems like it would appeal to people trying to get a bunch of keys on the cheap to resell at a higher price later. Who else would need 10 keys?

quote:

Digital Artbook
Digital Strategy Guide / Instruction Manual
Digital Story/World Book

These are also great options, I love artbooks - especially if they're filled with some great concept art.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 9, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
If you haven't bought the game yet, it's $4.95 (67% off) for the next 5 hours on the dev's site. Comes with the usual DRM free version and keys. It'd be longer than 5 hours, but I didn't notice until now.

http://www.defendersquest.com/buy.html

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
So the cutscenes will feature actual animation? No static pieces of artwork? Hrm. So long as it doesn't slow down the ability to read through cutscenes and we can advance through them at our own pace, I can't imagine anyone will have any problem with it. Fantastic news. :)

Dust's art is beautiful and the pieces on Karen's site are amazing, so my expectations are through the roof now. :D Keep us updated!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Got this newsletter today, haven't seen it posted up anywhere? Would be nice if it were up on the site to link to, trying to share the page gives people access to your unsubscribe link.

quote:

Defender's Quest II -- First Details!
We just launched a new design for https://www.defendersquest.com and our new company site at https://www.leveluplabs.com. You'll also notice that we've switched to a different newsletter system.

We've been teasing Defender's Quest II: Mists of Ruin for a little while now.
We'll soon be launching a separate page for the game here:
https://www.defendersquest.com/2/

Here's what we're announcing today:

Better Art

First, super-talented artist Karen Petrasko will be in charge of the game's entire visual design. We'll be shooting for a high-res, HD-friendly art style, supporting resolutions up to 1080p.

Second, legendary animator Dean Dodrill will be in charge of animation. You might have heard of his work - he's the solo developer behind Dust: An Elysian Tail.

New Story & Setting

Mists of Ruin takes place in a new setting -- a world whose surface has been covered by toxic gas for all of recorded history. Humans shelter in crumbling domed cities, sealed tunnels beneath the earth, or small islands of land jutting just above the toxic clouds. Your party is a domed city scavenger squad, sent into the wastes to recover ancient technology, hoping to keep the systems alive for one more generation...

New Mechanics

We've heard your feedback from the first game -- we're keeping what works, and improving the rest. More details will be posted soon on the Defender's Quest II site.

Awesome Music

Kevin Penkin will be returning to do the soundtrack for Defender's Quest II. We also have a super secret special guest musician that we can't announce just yet.

Pre-order Campaign

When we launch the new site, we'll be opening pre-orders for Defender's Quest II, powered by Humble Store.

Not only can you save some money off the final launch price, we'll be throwing in a copy of Defender's Quest I with every single pre-order tier. (Separately giftable, of course!) Buying the basic tier will get you both games for more than 50% off their combined regular prices.

Higher tiers will include goodies like a digital art & story book, alpha and beta access, as well as an opportunity to be a monster in a special final credits battle -- ie, a bonus battle where every monster represents someone from the credits!

Final Thoughts

Defender's Quest II is still fairly early in development, but we figured our newsletter subscribers would want to get in on the ground floor.

Let us know if you have any questions, especially if you're a journalist or blogger and want to write about this!

You can reach us at:
leveluplabs@gmail.com

Or on twitter:
@larsiusprime
@leveluplabsllc

Thoughts?

The better art essentially removes any criticism I've ever seen anyone have of DQ1. The super secret special guest musician makes me hope that there's a Super Energy Apocalypse-esque ending song in this one, but I can only dream. :) Being able to give away a copy of DQ1 to friends for preordering DQ2 is pretty nice, or just getting both in one if you don't already have DQ1.

The best thing is the story snippit. In Defender's Quest 1 it barely seemed like the party had a second to stop, they were just making an endless dash across the Pit, being constantly hounded. Having a place for some downtime and story that doesn't get interrupted by monsters should be nice. I wonder if technology will be used to upgrade cities, and if there will be optional / secret technology that unlocks special stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

The Gunslinger posted:

As long as they rebalance archers a bit I will be happy, loved the first game outside of the silly story.

This time around it's going to be a bit more difficult for there to be one gamebreaking 'class', from what I've heard.

There's only one of each character in each 'class', and around a dozen characters. So even if one is better than the rest, chances are you're going to be using in synergy with everyone else - instead of just spamming the battlefield with six of that unit.

• Locked thread