Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Thanks, goons, for introducing me to these books. They were amazing, can't wait for the next one.

The endings are definitely the hardest bits to get through: TFP

First, where did the All-Defector come from? I know he was with them all along/was taken out of the Dilemma Prison as well, but where was he stored? In Jean?

Second, where did the Kaminari Jewel on Perhonen come from? The note at the end was a beautiful touch, btw.

Finally Poor Matjeck-Prime. Actually, all things considered, poor everyone, everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

andrew smash posted:

On a reread of the quantum thief I find I'm a bit confused about the nature of the oubliette vs mars as a whole. There are references to small towns and other moving cities but also references to the oubliette as though it's all of Martian society. Does the gevulot system encompass all of mars? If not part of the end of the book doesn't make sense to me.

The oubliette is all of Martian society and it is the gevulot system(gevulot I think is nano-tech/encryption software?). There's stuff outside the moving cities/oubliette/gevulot which is nutso angry replicant machines I believe.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
The goal of the guberniyas is to acquire enough information about everyone that has ever lived to allow for all of them to be simulated within one brain world or another. That's how Chen wants to defeat death.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
One thing that I remain confused about : Did the All-Defector consume the Prime Chen? That was the impression that I was under reading that chapter, but presumably that's not what happened, since Prime Pellegrini wouldn't have a way to control it if it was, right?

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Basically what Neurosis said, I was just seeing if anyone knew what weird branch of whack physics Rajaniemi was pulling from to coin the term, "deep Dyson sleep."

I just finished TCA for the second time and it made much more sense. Although at the end, in the epilogue, it mentions the Pellegrini Prime watching the battle, then watching as the ekpyrotic shell is detonated. My question is, why would the All-Defector allow some of the Founders to volunteer to its cause as opposed to just devouring them? I forget where, but earlier in the book All-Defector mentions how the pellegrini Prime volunteered.

Wouldn't it benefit the most by just devouring everything?

It couldn't get to the other ones. Keep in mind the Primes were not subservient to each other, though Matjek was a sort of first among equals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
Maybe I didn't read things right, but I think the gogols, generally, are just copies of the Founders. By and large I thought the Sobornost just left the uploaded minds live/relive their lives forever. Wasn't that the whole point of their ideology?

• Locked thread