Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Loving Life Partner posted:

Also, Rajaniemi doesn't really do anyone favors by switching from third to first perspective at a whim.

First person is only used for one character Because the whole of both books are stories told by Jean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Loving Life Partner posted:

The same entity manipulating the minds of the Oubliette society also enters the Jean VR and assumes Jean's identity, I think?

My take was that the king of Mars had always been a copy of Jean who had been imprisoned in Oubliette sometime after their experiences diverged.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Also, my understanding is that there was no revolution; Le Roi just hired the zoku to make images of "pre-revolution" society and inserted them into the gevulot so that no one would question his system of hands off rule.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Neurosis posted:

Having finished the Fractal Prince, I am a little confused on a few things:

The spike is referred to as a singularity, but given that the use of singularities as weapons or power sources seems fairly common I think it may have been a technological singularity rather than a gravitational one.

I think Jean is a human who had the prince of flowers Aun in his head for a while; at the end of the Fractal Prince after the Aun leaves he says he feels "small again, barely more than human"

I'm not really sure about the jewel; it may be a way around the problem of making perfect copies at a quantum level.

• Locked thread