Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I felt so loving clever towards the end of TFP, around the time all the things started to get together and I finally started getting all the pieces together. Sometimes 2+2 was 3 though (and a couple times 5), but I felt clever.

Then I got to the final 50 or so pages of the book.

Not so clever anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

coffeetable posted:

The one thing that rubbed me the wrong way about the ending sequence was that Chen's haven was basically a nuclear artillery shell. Did that get foreshadowed but I just missed it?

I just took it as a safety mechanism, like a nth century panic room. I didn't see any foreshadowing and I agree it was a bit deus ex machina, but still cool.

Need to read it again starting tonight I think.

edit: I read and liked Malazan so being dropped in the middle of things with 0 exposition has grown on me.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
Yeah I totally got it, just commenting on the nature of the thing.

The best part for me was trying to connect the terms used in Tales of Transhuman Nights to the ones in Quantum Starship Boogaloo. The only one I didn't really get by myself was the ather, well ether (obviously) but in the all three lines of exposition we get Flambeur said it was analogous to the spimescape.

I'm probably stupid but when they revealed that Sumanguru was actually Flambeur, it all made so much more sense.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
Watching an interview from last year and the dude speaks like he's on amphetamines. Or just really really enthusiastic. Pretty funny.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Space-Bird posted:

Without all the 'weird poo poo' it would have just been Arsene Lupin in space. with its follow up sequel 'arabian space nights'.

He should use my "Tales of Transhuman Nights meets Quantum Starship Boogaloo" from page 1 as a cover blurb.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I finally bothered to start rereading and I'm almost through The Quantum Thief. Man, it's so much better the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

inklesspen posted:

Sydän (Finnish for "heart")

Also Mieli = mind. Heart and Mind.

And Perhonen = butterfly in case anyone was wondering.

• Locked thread