Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

At least the diabetes. Be safe, make sure someone in the room knows your needs (the entire audience).

Three-armed Innuit? I mean, if you have a good take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Sataere posted:

To be fair, if you are a three-armed diabetic Innuit, you probably need to address that right away.

I assume it comes up.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Shovelbearer posted:

I assume it comes up.

Depends where the third arm is. HEYO!

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Oh any way, I was in a play that meant I wasn't hitting mics much for a month or so, and my first couple of sets of new material after that.. Well, the first one was OK, and the second one people told was ok but I'm pretty sure was awful. Last night I had a set that went great, and everything I thought would get a laugh or an "oooh" got exactly what I wanted, so the momentum arrow points back up... now to maintain that for a month and crush this Hard Rock set.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Friday night was one of my best experiences in stand-up. I went to a house show/party that a couple of my friends organized, just expecting to watch. It was mainly these three guys from Denver (Ian Douglas Terry, Zach Reinert and Matt Monroe) touring as "The Tighest Dudes You Know" but I saw that Mary Mack was a special guest and I really liked her album Pinch Finger Girl so I knew I'd at least enjoy her. Turns out that not only was everybody great, but I got to do 10 minutes right after the host, and that went well too. Nothing quite like doing a 10 minute set on 10 minutes notice, and having it go pretty well, in front of more veteran comics whose work you enjoy. I did have a moment where I drew a blank and had to look at my note sheet, but I was able to use "last-minute addition to the show" as a saver line. And the show was split into two parts with an intermission, with my buddy that I started comedy with hosting the second half, and his host set was the best 10 minutes I've ever seen him do. It was really cool to have both of us do well and hang with the more accomplished comics. It was a great night. It would be a great life if every night were a comedy show at someone's house with good comics and no dickheads invited.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Shovelbearer posted:

Friday night was one of my best experiences in stand-up. I went to a house show/party that a couple of my friends organized, just expecting to watch. It was mainly these three guys from Denver (Ian Douglas Terry, Zach Reinert and Matt Monroe) touring as "The Tighest Dudes You Know" but I saw that Mary Mack was a special guest and I really liked her album Pinch Finger Girl so I knew I'd at least enjoy her. Turns out that not only was everybody great, but I got to do 10 minutes right after the host, and that went well too. Nothing quite like doing a 10 minute set on 10 minutes notice, and having it go pretty well, in front of more veteran comics whose work you enjoy. I did have a moment where I drew a blank and had to look at my note sheet, but I was able to use "last-minute addition to the show" as a saver line. And the show was split into two parts with an intermission, with my buddy that I started comedy with hosting the second half, and his host set was the best 10 minutes I've ever seen him do. It was really cool to have both of us do well and hang with the more accomplished comics. It was a great night. It would be a great life if every night were a comedy show at someone's house with good comics and no dickheads invited.

It's always nice to do well in front of people you respect. There is this showcase in the suburbs of Chicago (Joliet) that is held monthly at a place called the Drunken Donut. It is a bakery that has a liquor license. Walking in, you would think the place would be a terrible show, but it just has this alternative feel and the best audiences every time. That was the first showcase I'd ever done, and I tend to work clean compared to my counterparts, so it was really gratifying when people with hella tattoos and piercings are telling you that you were their favorite. I can't wait to be able to get invited back.

I've heard of house party shows. I can't wait to see one. Anytime I hear of that, I just picture Aziz Ansari telling one of his stories.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I completely adore Matt Monroe; did you get a chance to talk to him before/after sets? dude is a treasure trove of info and incredible advice.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

the escape goat posted:

I completely adore Matt Monroe; did you get a chance to talk to him before/after sets? dude is a treasure trove of info and incredible advice.

Yeah I happened to be wearing a Howard Kremer "Have a Summah" shirt and so we ended up shooting the poo poo a while about Howard Kremer and how Matt hung out with him and Brooks Wheelan in Hawaii the other week. The actual comedy part of the evening started way late so for over an hour beforehand everyone was just hanging out. It was chill.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

As a Denver resident, I have the pleasure of seeing Matt Monroe (and IDT and Zach Reinert, for that matter) on a pretty regular basis.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Shovelbearer posted:

That's rad. Doing well in front of established comics is the best way to start getting paid work. I got hired at a club here because Nicest Dude In Comedy liked an audition set I did and texted the bokker while I was on stage. Then he mentioned it on his podcast and two local comics gave me bar show spots for it (which I promptly ate poo poo on, killing my 5 minutes of local buzz).

Have you Denver comics worked with Kronberg before? I did a show with him where a jazz band played behind us and he had one of the greatest sets I've ever seen. He adjusted his delivery and cadence perfectly with the music and riffed some of the funniest poo poo I ever heard.

freud mayweather fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 27, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haven't worked with him, but I've had the pleasure of seeing him a poo poo load.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

A couple of comedy pals of mine just moved to Denver. They say it is a very different scene from Chicago. I always find that hard to accept. I think funny is funny universally, so long as you don't paint yourself in a box. It could just be the nerves of being in a strange, new place though.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
So I did the Hard Rock Cafe show and it was a really good time! In fact, I have video to share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-JqwgkFcRQ

I've trimmed the clip down to six minutes. On one hand, this is to make it a more bite-sized thing for anyone here to check out, and on the other, I made a bit of a tactical error: I have a bit about cultural appropriation that, in rooms (usually more alt-y rooms) where people understand the concept, it's gone over really really well. The Hard Rock Cafe crowd either didn't know what the hell I was talking about or didn't feel like contemplating the ironies of said sociopolitical topic. I managed to bail out of it without doing too much damage, and switch into a joke that did work for my closer, but I'd rather not expose the worst that other bit has ever gone.

Any way, had a lot of fun, got paid some $$$, and a lot of people told me they enjoyed it, so an awesome night. Also we had what I will say was the best-behaved and most attentive bachelorette party in comedy history sitting in the front, and I was grateful.

Fly Like Nimbus
Jun 17, 2015

Did I take a comedy writing class with you over the summer? You look familiar. also, nice job!!

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
With RIk Roberts perhaps?

Fly Like Nimbus
Jun 17, 2015

Yeah! I was the dude with long hair if you remember me hey hi hello nashville comedy goon

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Fly Like Nimbus posted:

Yeah! I was the dude with long hair if you remember me hey hi hello nashville comedy goon

Yeah, pretty sure I remember you. Have you been hitting open mics?

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I am curious what standups who aren't in my social circles would think about this: my girlfriend is a yoga teacher and comedy fan; I'm an open micer. I decided that I wanted to try something I'm calling Cribbed Comedic Koans, which is a meditation-focused yoga class in which I'm going to read other people's (hence the "cribbed") jokes - Deep Thoughts, Bo Burnham poetry, and the like - that I think are good for using as objects of meditations.

Am I being a joke thief or a hack? She's charging for the class, but again, the focus is meditation, not seeing a performer do comedy.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Eh do you ever want to be on stage and have an audience member shout, "do that funny joke from my yoga class about Jack Handy and the Hawaiian couple"?

It doesn't seem like it would diminish comedy or anything too bad, but seems a bit like a "my girlfriend wants me to have income" forced crossover careers sitcom episode.

Writing a few one off Zen Buddhist style jokes for yoga types shouldn't be that hard; if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it... Do woodland creatures make it into toilet paper? Charmin commercials seem to suggest so..

You could probably one off random sentences from Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance or The Secret. Worst case fall back on other's material.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

as someone who goes to yoga and meditation, I think the idea is kind of insane. HOWEVER! that doesn't mean you shouldn't try it a couple times and then report back.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Hey guys I did my first open mic awhile back and I was wondering if I could get some constructive criticism. If you have 6 minutes to kill I could send you the link with the password lol.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I watched the set of a comedian that<s getting pretty big in my province. I'm a huge Norm Macdonald fan and I found out during the set that the comedian stole one of norms joke and just changed some small elements to it. When is it considered stealing?

For context, norms joke was the one he did on letterman a few months back, talking about a great grandfather that had to stand in place for like eight hours to get a picture taken and how the grandparents of tomorrow will have thousands of pictures of them every single day. The hack fraud comedian basically made the same joke changing the grandfather for a grandmother and lowering the number to a few hundred pictures. I was really disappointed at the jarring transition considering the rest of the set is nothing like norm's stuff at all.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I mean, without hearing exactly how he told it, that just sounds like a premise that anyone could get to. It's a pretty easy bit of observational comedy. He could have lifted it, intentionally or from hearing Norm's bit and not realizing it, or it could just be parallel thinking.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Odddzy posted:

I watched the set of a comedian that<s getting pretty big in my province. I'm a huge Norm Macdonald fan and I found out during the set that the comedian stole one of norms joke and just changed some small elements to it. When is it considered stealing?

For context, norms joke was the one he did on letterman a few months back, talking about a great grandfather that had to stand in place for like eight hours to get a picture taken and how the grandparents of tomorrow will have thousands of pictures of them every single day. The hack fraud comedian basically made the same joke changing the grandfather for a grandmother and lowering the number to a few hundred pictures. I was really disappointed at the jarring transition considering the rest of the set is nothing like norm's stuff at all.

Are you also a comic?

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I did a couple of the cribbed comedic koan classes and they were OK - the first time I made the mistake of doing yoga myself (instead of just saying jokes), but a bunch of my supportive improv friends showed up, which brought a lot of good feedback, but only one person showed up the second time so I think it seemed a little creepy. Regardless, I think we'll keep doing it.

Tonight I got to see Hannibal Buress for free because he showed up to the quasi-open mic quasi-booked show, and somehow I didn't get bumped off the show. I think one of my jokes even made him laugh. I'm really excited to put the work in again of hitting multiple open mics a week.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

freud mayweather posted:

Are you also a comic?

No why?

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

I was just wondering, because it seems like a broad enough idea where it could be parallel thinking, or a premise he took unconsciously. And if you were a comic I was gonna use sarcasm to make fun of you for calling him a fraud hack over something that he easily could have came to independently.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
^ Agreed. It's an obvious premise.

One of my friends last night used a premise identical to Louis CK ("why do people complain about having to explain gay marriage to their children?") but made it about the hypothetical need to explain centaurs ("mythical creatures exist and our world is awesome") instead of "I dunno, it's your lovely kid. What, two guys can't get married cuz you don't wanna talk to your ugly child for five fuckin' minutes?" (paraphrased), but again, obvious premise.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
This article: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/01/an-exhaustive-primer-on-the-amy-schumer-scandal-ye.html has an example (that they don't call out for some reason??) which is clearly parallel thinking (Mulaney's very obvious but well-worded joke on being black-out drunk being like "body=awake; mind=asleep" and Schumer's inferior version) and examples which are evidently not that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'd be hesitant to say that those Urban Dictionary style "sex position" jokes were Patrice's either though.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.

XIII posted:

I'd be hesitant to say that those Urban Dictionary style "sex position" jokes were Patrice's either though.

They 100% weren't, nobody who knew him would dispute that.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Good evening SA comedian thread, how we doin tonight?

I've been doing open mics for about four months. Two nights a week at first, four a week lately. I've been having lots of fun, I love it! Meeting lots of cool folks too. Don't know why it didn't occur to me to do this before. (Honestly, probably because I would've been too scared to.) I started by doing kinda literary scripted stuff. Just writing one thing that's five minutes long: surrealist scenarios, some things kind of in character... somebody described it as one-man theater stuff. And that stuff feels more honest, feels more like me, but they're all one-shot: I never feel like repeating them.

Along the way I've been writing actual jokes and working them into things. Sometimes I just tell jokes, but I feel less in control of the situation when that's what I'm doing. My most recent set was my first time doing 100% straight anecdotal and it probably would've worked if the place hadn't been empty.

I've learned to start by addressing the scenario (talking about the host, venue, crowd) then getting into it. There's a reason for the traditional format, it works. I haven't lost my reputation as a weirdo but my format has started looking more traditional. I'm no longer intentionally confusing just to get people to pay attention. (I started out real punk-rock, please-hate-my-supersmart-material because I could only fake confidence by putting myself in an adversarial position.)

One thing I absolutely cannot do is roast. People don't respond to it at all. I think it's because I come off intellectual, and nobody likes it when the brainy guy is also the mean guy.

So! I'm in my first showcase next week. It'll be tough: it's a new event, the bar's architecture is not ideal for comedy, and the crowd there is not exactly my crowd. But it's going to be fun and I have the confidence now to make it work in one way or another.

Here's my plan at the moment:
-Some introductory stuff about the host/venue/a little crowd work
-A series of one-liners, for which I predict about a 50% hit rate
-A five-minute-long thing on one topic: a local business that has a funny name. This one sounds like a less dry and sillier Stewart Lee. This one is a coinflip, and doesn't always provoke roaring laughter, but it's a "signature" kind of thing that people always at least enjoy and definitely remember.

It's a 12-minute set that'll probably stretch to 15. (The host isn't going to cut me off.)

I'm worried about switching modes midset: people can get disoriented and you lose them. But at the moment I feel like this is a good plan. If I chicken out or change my mind I can just fall back on one of my 8-minute sets that I know at least I can deliver, because I go through them endlessly in my head and memorize them well.

Any thoughts?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I think that sounds like a good plan. I don't really have anything constructive beyond good luck and congrats comedy goon person

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
re: Patrice O'Neal stealing jokes

Karl Ontario posted:

They 100% weren't, nobody who knew him would dispute that.

Well... Schumer is in a different cultural position than he was. If his theft went undetected, except by those who knew him, and hers can be found by literally any comedy fan with an Internet connection, given what what's been said about how plagiarism is often conducted haphazardly, it still seems possible she did something lovely in taking them from him.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

For the record, I wasn't saying Patrice stole those "jokes" either. I'm saying they're street jokes and I'd be annoyed to hear any comic telling them.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

freud mayweather posted:

I was just wondering, because it seems like a broad enough idea where it could be parallel thinking, or a premise he took unconsciously. And if you were a comic I was gonna use sarcasm to make fun of you for calling him a fraud hack over something that he easily could have came to independently.

Being there and having heard the setup for Norm just as much as the guy, I can assure you the joke wasn't created through parallel thinking. Also, as an aside, Norm has got his shallow grave joke stolen by Tony Hinchcliffe on his netflix special.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Self-promotion is the most annoying loving thing for me. I'm pretty sure that's the common view, but I just want to complain for a minute. I'm a little sorry.

I just finished emailing a list of editors, reviewers, and other people that might list or see events because I have a run festival shows coming up. I started out researching every contact to be sure I had just the right person, that I was doing it the appropriate amount of time ahead of the dates, etc. But after about 5 emails I just made a canned response and blindly sent it to everyone.

I'm thinking "my time saved can go into other effective promotion" to try to assuage my feelings that half those people will forever ignore me in return for spamming them.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal posted:

Here's my plan at the moment:
-Some introductory stuff about the host/venue/a little crowd work
-A series of one-liners, for which I predict about a 50% hit rate
-A five-minute-long thing on one topic: a local business that has a funny name. This one sounds like a less dry and sillier Stewart Lee. This one is a coinflip, and doesn't always provoke roaring laughter, but it's a "signature" kind of thing that people always at least enjoy and definitely remember.

Update: oh Jesus, I ran through the bolded part last night at a mic and i just could not get the people on board. (Given, I was bullet and frightened them by exploding with stage rage at a man who answered his phone during.) No plan for tomorrow now!

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

4 months in, you probably shouldn't be doing 5 minute bits on anything. Try to make it short and to the point, and if it hits keep using mics to add little twists and beats to it.

freud mayweather fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

freud mayweather posted:

4 months in, you probably shouldn't be doing 5 minute bits on anything. Try to make it short and to the point, and if it hits keep using mics to add little twists and beats to it.

I see your point, but I don't think it applies in every case. The bit in question is funny because it's long. I mean it's funny at the beginning too, but if I cut it down there would be no concept--it's a meditation on, and in-depth analysis of a silly subject that deserves no such attention. I like stuff like that, hence the mention of Stewart Lee.

I like to talk for five minutes from the perspective of a person who's either not sane or living in an alternate universe. And when I commit and the mood's right, people are more than happy to join me on the crazy train to anywhere.

I ended up doing one of these weird conceptual bits for the show in question. The mic was wireless so I walked around the whole place, even upstairs making a loop around the balcony, which was fun. I definitely got their attention for my set. I think it went pretty well.

I was a wreck beforehand though, I was sure everybody'd hate me, and I don't usually get nervous any more.