Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yess, stripey cats are the best cats (I have a stripey cat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

That is badass. All I can picture is that tree cracking a giant boulder in half as it grew through it :black101:

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Chiming in to say how awesome this is. Keep it coming!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I am loving this thread since it is a nice change of pace from my desert life. It gets cold here but no snow and no frozen creeks.

Tres Burritos posted:

That is badass. All I can picture is that tree cracking a giant boulder in half as it grew through it :black101:

It happens quite a lot. Here is my boulder cracking tree. It is still kind of small.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

- pics of stuff and things go here

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 21, 2015

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

So loving jealous of your property.

Jeff Gerber
Jul 22, 2007
Well it ain't soy sauce!
Looking forward to pics after this storm. Keep your roof clean and good luck!

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
This property was logged about twenty years ago, and so there are these old logging roads through the woods. I've been clearing them out and trimming trees back to open them up. Somehow that is a very rewarding thing to do, and there's something about them that I find very inviting. I went out walking Saturday with fresh snow on the ground.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

0-0-0-0

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 21, 2015

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

apatite posted:

Time to start walking home. My kingdom for a decent pair of snowshoes or XC skis...

Could you make your own?
http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yourself/how-to-make-snowshoes-zmaz81ndzraw.aspx

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

8-6-0-789

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 21, 2015

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not to mention that cross country skis are the sort of thing you can find at yard sales in the summer for like $5. I say that because I bought a few pairs this summer at yard sales, but haven't actually used them yet.

Actuary X fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 13, 2013

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Actuary X posted:

Not to mention that cross country skis are the sort of thing you can find at yard sales in the summer for like $5. I say that because I bought a few pairs this summer at yard sales, but haven't actually used them yet.

Yeah! I got ours for free. It turns out one set is actually a pair of Fischer downhill skis from the 70s, but they are the fastest skis I've ever used, so going to keep pretending they are XC.

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 21, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

This dog is old and happy.

apatite fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 16, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Awesome update! I'm surprised housewrap isn't high up on your priority list - Is it difficult to come by cheaply? Tons of it is wasted during any decent sized construction project. I imagine it would do wonders to keep the loving bugs out keep heat in and drafts out.

I wonder if you'd get more heat into your water if you used exhaust wrap around the pipe, enclosing the copper in with it?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 21, 2015

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

apatite posted:

Installed these battery powered combination carbon monoxide/smoke detectors a while back and just found the pic. When we were in Lowes on Sunday getting some bolts for the solar rack I saw that all they had were the 110v version and it cost $50. Better just go to Amazon and pick them up for $20 like us unless you're in some crazy hurry.

Next time you're at Lowes you can get them to price match Amazon. If it's the exact same item (model numbers) they will match it, including shipping (which for most items is free anyway). So you just have to pay tax on it but get the item right away. I saved like $20 on a water filter for my refrigerator and was pleasantly surprised they would do it.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

excidium posted:

Next time you're at Lowes you can get them to price match Amazon. If it's the exact same item (model numbers) they will match it, including shipping (which for most items is free anyway). So you just have to pay tax on it but get the item right away. I saved like $20 on a water filter for my refrigerator and was pleasantly surprised they would do it.

Well that's a wonderful idea and we'll start abusing it ASAP. Thanks!

The sap started running yesterday:

Some taps didn't give much

But some were quite productive

Last night from 11pm-1am we walked around in the moonlight trying to plan out where tubing for a gravity feed system would be run next year if we can afford it and have a way to boil it all. Mostly just enjoyed the silence and moonlight reflecting on the snow :)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm missing something. Why is the sap clear?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm missing something. Why is the sap clear?

its mostly water, you have to boil and reduce it to make the brown syrup

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cartoons led me to believe that you got maple syrup straight from the tree. I've been misled! :argh: cartoons!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Leperflesh posted:

Cartoons led me to believe that you got maple syrup straight from the tree. I've been misled! :argh: cartoons!

I love to drink it right from the tree, but it sure isn't syrup :D We often end up with more sap than we can boil due to terribly small scale inefficient boiling methods, and have resorted several times to drinking pretty much nothing but raw sap for a while (well and maybe some beer on my part...)

When you boil it you are removing a large percentage of the volume by evaporating off the water and leaving just the sugary goodness. Some large scale places use a reverse Reverse Osmosis filter (not a typo) - they take what would normally be filtered out of the water by the RO and boil this down into syrup. The fresh water is the "waste" product in this scenario so I call it a reverse Reverse Osmosis in a failed attempt at humor.

It takes about 40 gallons of this sweet sweet tree juice to make a gallon of syzzurp but it sure is worth it!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

apatite posted:

It takes about 40 gallons of this sweet sweet tree juice to make a gallon of syzzurp but it sure is worth it!

When I was a kid my parents couldn't ever really spring for "real" syrup. The first time I had any I distinctly remember going :wtc:.
Corn syrup with maple flavoring 4 lyfe.

The 40:1 makes the prices more seem more reasonable.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I recently bought real maple syrup for the first time at Fresh Market. 30 years old and I've never had it before. It's pretty damned good.

What does the raw sap taste like? How much thicker than water is it?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

apatite posted:

I love to drink it right from the tree, but it sure isn't syrup :D We often end up with more sap than we can boil due to terribly small scale inefficient boiling methods, and have resorted several times to drinking pretty much nothing but raw sap for a while (well and maybe some beer on my part...)

You seem pretty handy building stuff. Have you heard about rocket stoves? That might be a cheaper way to boil it than propane.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The opposite of reverse osmosis is, of course... osmosis.

Consumer-grade (e.g., under-the-sink) RO filtration is horribly inefficient. You generally flush about five gallons of water down the drain for every gallon of purified water that you get from your tap. I have no idea if a regular osmosis process is more efficient, or what. It does have the (enormous!) advantage of not requiring you to boil your syrup, though; I'm sure boiling alters the flavor (you're basically cooking it) and a lot of the lighter chemicals in the syrup are going to escape along with the steam in a boiling process.

Raw honey is better than cooked honey. I bet raw filtered maple syrup is better than boiled syrup.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
If you have more sap than you can boil, make beer with it. Nothing more Appalachia than turning excess agriculture into alcohol of various kinds. I bet you could make some incredible liquer courtesy of some maple syrup wine and freeze-distillation, too.

Also this is pretty bad-rear end; I don't think I could live out in the woods permanently, but short of being right on a river or lake this is pretty much my ideal of a "get the gently caress out of town" second home.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

apatite posted:

The guy who does it on the side, near my place does a 50:1 ratio and just before he is done he throws a cover over the pot and ports smoke from the fire into it. You end up with a really thick, dark syrup (almost black) that has a hint of smokiness to it. AMAZING!

Edit: The dark colour is a result of the ratio, not the smoke, which is only ported for a minute or less.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 28, 2013

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Sorry for leaving you all hanging, been pretty busy lately.

Tres Burritos posted:

When I was a kid my parents couldn't ever really spring for "real" syrup. The first time I had any I distinctly remember going :wtc:.
Corn syrup with maple flavoring 4 lyfe.

The 40:1 makes the prices more seem more reasonable.

You blasphemer! Never speak of this corn syrup junk in my presence again :commissar:

Jealous Cow posted:

I recently bought real maple syrup for the first time at Fresh Market. 30 years old and I've never had it before. It's pretty damned good.

What does the raw sap taste like? How much thicker than water is it?

Good for you! Not like this "Tres Burritos" person up here with their corn flavored junk water :cool:

The raw sap tastes like... Well it tastes like slightly sweet maple flavored water. Think some kind of subtle fruit flavored water but with maple flavor and a little sweet? Hard to describe maybe.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

You seem pretty handy building stuff. Have you heard about rocket stoves? That might be a cheaper way to boil it than propane.

Thanks :) Actually recently I was able to catch a couple of rocket stoves in action and see one being built. They're pretty neat but we generally don't use propane to boil the sap, just good old firewood anyway except maybe for the final boil at the end to get it to the proper temp without too much fluctuation.

Leperflesh posted:

The opposite of reverse osmosis is, of course... osmosis.

Consumer-grade (e.g., under-the-sink) RO filtration is horribly inefficient. You generally flush about five gallons of water down the drain for every gallon of purified water that you get from your tap. I have no idea if a regular osmosis process is more efficient, or what. It does have the (enormous!) advantage of not requiring you to boil your syrup, though; I'm sure boiling alters the flavor (you're basically cooking it) and a lot of the lighter chemicals in the syrup are going to escape along with the steam in a boiling process.

Raw honey is better than cooked honey. I bet raw filtered maple syrup is better than boiled syrup.

Isn't it still reverse osmosis? I mean they're using an RO filter they're just using the waste product instead of the filtered water? They still have to do a final boil on the syrup to get rid of the rest of the water and get it to the right temp to turn to syrup, it just takes way less time/energy to do it after the RO pulls out the water. Raw honey is fuckin delicious though, we're hoping to get some bees in the next couple of years (thanks a lot, bee keeping megathread!:arghfist: :black101: )

Kilersquirrel posted:

If you have more sap than you can boil, make beer with it. Nothing more Appalachia than turning excess agriculture into alcohol of various kinds. I bet you could make some incredible liquer courtesy of some maple syrup wine and freeze-distillation, too.

Also this is pretty bad-rear end; I don't think I could live out in the woods permanently, but short of being right on a river or lake this is pretty much my ideal of a "get the gently caress out of town" second home.

Now we're talking! Freeze distillation sounds pretty drat cool and we're going to try it. I've got some 5gal glass carboys from a beer making setup...

Yeah it would be nice to be on a river or lake, but those properties historically cost a boatload more cash than some chunk of woods that most people look at and say "It's all mud, rocks, steep rear end hills and trees. Useless." It does seem lately though that people are fleeing NY due to property taxes and other stupid poo poo that's going on, and a large number of waterfront properties are coming onto the market all the time. Maybe now's your chance! ;)

Blistex posted:

The guy who does it on the side, near my place does a 50:1 ratio and just before he is done he throws a cover over the pot and ports smoke from the fire into it. You end up with a really thick, dark syrup (almost black) that has a hint of smokiness to it. AMAZING!

Edit: The dark colour is a result of the ratio, not the smoke, which is only ported for a minute or less.

I'm not sure I really get this. The ratio depends on the amount of sugar content in the sap. If his trees had more sugar he would need less sap to make the same amount of syrup, this is why i say it takes "about" 40gal for 1gal of syrup. Some trees have incredible sugar content and only require like 30gal. The smoked syrup sounds really cool and I'd like to give that a try.

Here's some crappy cellphone snowstorm pics from last week. Big giant wet/heavy snowflakes that bent branches and small trees right over to the ground.

This tree is very special to us. One of our dogs is buried here. She was let out of the house we were living in when we were not around and got out into the road where she was hit by a car two years ago. She used to sit on this little knoll under the tree, where she had a perfect view of the entire landing. RIP awesome dog, we will miss you always. :comeback:

Second PV panel is up, we are officially at 290 watts!

Spring is in the air and I'm letting my freak flag fly high

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 21, 2015

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

apatite posted:

Now we're talking! Freeze distillation sounds pretty drat cool and we're going to try it. I've got some 5gal glass carboys from a beer making setup...

Make sure you use a yeast that will ferment as close to 15 percent or higher as you can get. I used a champagne yeast rated for 18% to finish off a mead batch that I freeze-distilled, it takes quite a while for it to build up to the high natural percentages though. You will likely have to add extra syrup or sap to keep it going, too.

When you freeze it(probably next winter), do so inside of a flexible, foodsafe container - NOT your glass carboys. The ice is likely going to develop from the top down, which means the top will develop an ice layer, which expands and shatters the glass if you leave it inside your carboys.

And of course, don't sell any if you make it. The ATF has kind of a blind eye towards hobbyist distillers, but the second they hear about somebody selling unlicensed booze they release the hounds.

If you can get apples or fresh-pressed apple cider really cheap around there, you can ferment this spring, age all summer in kegs/barrels, and then freeze it in winter to make delicious, delicious applejack.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Kilersquirrel posted:

Make sure you use a yeast that will ferment as close to 15 percent or higher as you can get. I used a champagne yeast rated for 18% to finish off a mead batch that I freeze-distilled, it takes quite a while for it to build up to the high natural percentages though. You will likely have to add extra syrup or sap to keep it going, too.

When you freeze it(probably next winter), do so inside of a flexible, foodsafe container - NOT your glass carboys. The ice is likely going to develop from the top down, which means the top will develop an ice layer, which expands and shatters the glass if you leave it inside your carboys.

And of course, don't sell any if you make it. The ATF has kind of a blind eye towards hobbyist distillers, but the second they hear about somebody selling unlicensed booze they release the hounds.

If you can get apples or fresh-pressed apple cider really cheap around there, you can ferment this spring, age all summer in kegs/barrels, and then freeze it in winter to make delicious, delicious applejack.

Maple Liquor? AppleJack? I'd better pre-book a stay at Betty Ford and find all the local AA meetings in advance. Thanks for the awesome info!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Ok, time to walk home

:banjo:

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 21, 2015

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Nice pictures!

After being warned in this very thread to wear chaps when chainsawing, I have no one to blame but myself that I ended up in the emergency room on Saturday with a cut on my leg. Only four stitches, so it could have been much, much worse. It was strictly due to my own carelessness, and yes I will go get chaps immediately.

It is already healing up very nicely, and I should go get the stitches out on Friday. Just a few days of vegging on the couch are called for.

Be careful out there!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Actuary X posted:

Nice pictures!

After being warned in this very thread to wear chaps when chainsawing, I have no one to blame but myself that I ended up in the emergency room on Saturday with a cut on my leg. Only four stitches, so it could have been much, much worse. It was strictly due to my own carelessness, and yes I will go get chaps immediately.

It is already healing up very nicely, and I should go get the stitches out on Friday. Just a few days of vegging on the couch are called for.

Be careful out there!

Sorry to hear, but glad you are on the mend. On that note, I should probably re-evaluate my usual motto of "Safety third!"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Actuary X posted:

Nice pictures!

Be careful out there!

Call Labonville, they're good people.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Apatite, where did you get the open fire grate setup? My wife and I are about to start planning a fire pit with the addition of our patio area and that looks exactly what we want to toss steaks on every now and then.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Fog Tripper posted:

Apatite, where did you get the open fire grate setup? My wife and I are about to start planning a fire pit with the addition of our patio area and that looks exactly what we want to toss steaks on every now and then.

No clue... It was a gift. It worked great for a couple years but really it's a wonky setup at best. It all threads together and stuff and it just wasn't high quality enough to stand up to several summers of at least twice weekly usage. Was hoping to improve on the design this spring, if I do some pics will get posted here and you can make one or farm it out to someone with a welder.

On the other hand, if you won't be using it frequently/for lots of stuff, buying one of these would probably work out great. It certainly does a nice job!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

apatite posted:

No clue... It was a gift. It worked great for a couple years but really it's a wonky setup at best. It all threads together and stuff and it just wasn't high quality enough to stand up to several summers of at least twice weekly usage. Was hoping to improve on the design this spring, if I do some pics will get posted here and you can make one or farm it out to someone with a welder.

On the other hand, if you won't be using it frequently/for lots of stuff, buying one of these would probably work out great. It certainly does a nice job!

I am quite happy, if not more than happy to build one on my own. I wouldn't know where to begin looking for the materials for it however.

micnato
May 3, 2006
This thread is awesome and you are awesome. I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time and after stumbling on this thread a couple weeks ago I was inspired to do some research and planning. I'm going to go full hippie and build and live in a yurt in the woods this summer. At least that's the plan. Maybe I will post a thread when I finally get off my rear end and get started.

Hey OP are you in Lewis County by any chance? Just guessing based on the geography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

A ruffed grouse was walking ahead of me and got spooked, taking flight. Here are the tracks from feet and wing tips as it burst forth in explosive flight. Hard to see in the pics but so beautiful. A true wild snow angel gifted from this wonderful bird.

Happy Spring, everybody. After walking an hour and a half, had to turn around and back track for 40min after finding that a glove had fallen out of my pocket.

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 21, 2015

• Locked thread